Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
206 user(s) are online (170 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ASR
Automatic Slip Regulation; ie traction control.

Standard on all C4s starting in 1992....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

EngineDoctor My first vette
Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

72 Roadster, she took me 4 years to restore....
then a minute to scatter her into a million pieces

Attach file:

jpg  260582_1599886255665_1791312576_1074171_6926080_n.jpg (39.74 KB)
7794_4f29e24e9416a.jpg 480X640 px
Posted on: 2012/2/2 1:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

crash Re: My first vette
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

what do you mean scatter her into a million pieces?
Posted on: 2012/2/2 1:32

Calm Re: My first vette
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Posted on: 2012/2/2 1:55

EngineDoctor Re: My first vette
Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Quote:

crash wrote:
what do you mean scatter her into a million pieces?

Accident.
Posted on: 2012/2/2 4:57

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Quote:

Calm wrote:

pop corn ? Miss the car
Posted on: 2012/2/2 4:59

Calm Re: My first vette
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Quote:

engineholic wrote:
Quote:

Calm wrote:

pop corn ? Miss the car

I was looking forward to hearing a story.

Instead......simply "accident".

Posted on: 2012/2/2 5:41

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Oh, ya want the story, okay :

This was bout 30 yrs ago, My buddy and I were out late night in winter time in the roadster.We were almost home when I decided to do a quartermile pass near my home, had her wound out in 2nd gear pretty tight(turbo 400) I was in the fast lane,all of a sudden a blue 280z crossed into my lane, I hit the brakes and apparently the right front caliper locked up and jerked the wheel right outa my hands..I recall we did a number of 360"s, car was completely outa control, we hit curbs,fences, tree's, this seemed to last forever.....When it ended I found my self thrown out of the car bout 75 feet behind the car on the street and my friend was still in car.. We both emerged unharmed, when cops arrived they measured over 200 feet of skid marks and fiberglass was scattered everywhere !Cops said it was a miracle we were alive, as there was nothing left of the vette at all..The police said the fiberglass absorbed all the impact and that saved us... As for my friend, he had an 80 vette,after this he sold it never to drive his car again. I found a new respect for Corvettes and speed.. Forgot to add I did pee all over my self too,just a few scratches and torn clothe............
Posted on: 2012/2/2 23:01

TommyT-Bone Re: My first vette
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33757 Posts

One night back in 1973 a friend and I spent the evening in a local club drinking, chatting and looking for a good time. Around 12:30 AM we decided to call it a night. We went outside and walked to the car. Right then a local law enforcemnent official saw us and planned on spinning around the next circle to come and check us out. In a Starsky and Hutch like move we dove into the Vette, fired it up and headed for the city limits about three quarters of a mile away. We were going more than xxx miles per hour when we hit the city line. No one in sight we decided we'd see how fast his 68 Vette would go. As my buddy drove I called out the speed. We hit xxx mph, the fastest I've ever been in a car. We slowed to take our upcoming turn. Normally the Vette could easily handle this turn at close to 60 mph but not on this night. It was a hazy night and dew had coated the street. Unfortunately for us the below freezing temps froze the dew into a thin sheet of ice. The tires broke loose. We went into a spin. After going full cicle the passenger tires jumped the curb. Must have been my lucky day. When the drivers side tires hit the curb the car stopped it's lateral movement. Right outside my door was a huge oak tree. I mean inches from the door. I looked at him.
He looked at me. Both of us were stunned. He pulled forward several feet so I could open my door. When we hit the curb his right sidepipe tore away from the car. The rims were a little out of shape. I grabbed the damaged sidepipe, still warm, stuck it between my legs and out the window. We roared to my buddies house about 2 miles away. He parked. We both started counting our blessings. This was at least my third close encounter with I count my blessings every day because by all rights I should not be writing this today. Proof I guess that only the good die young.
Posted on: 2012/2/3 0:47

pianoguy Re: My first vette
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Yowzahh! Amazing that neither of you were hurt.
Posted on: 2012/2/3 0:48

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

One thing I gotta say bout the C3's is the faster you go the more they suck down into the ground.....They r my favorite vettes. My roadster was set up for top end, monster top end cam n valve train, stock gears, 2" taller tires in rear....... Will never know how fast she could go except to say I've never been in a faster car...
Posted on: 2012/2/3 1:15

bogus Re: My first vette
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

engineholic wrote:
Oh, ya want the story, okay :

This was bout 30 yrs ago, My buddy and I were out late night in winter time in the roadster.We were almost home when I decided to do a quartermile pass near my home, had her wound out in 2nd gear pretty tight(turbo 400) I was in the fast lane,all of a sudden a blue 280z crossed into my lane, I hit the brakes and apparently the right front caliper locked up and jerked the wheel right outa my hands..I recall we did a number of 360"s, car was completely outa control, we hit curbs,fences, tree's, this seemed to last forever.....When it ended I found my self thrown out of the car bout 75 feet behind the car on the street and my friend was still in car.. We both emerged unharmed, when cops arrived they measured over 200 feet of skid marks and fiberglass was scattered everywhere !Cops said it was a miracle we were alive, as there was nothing left of the vette at all..The police said the fiberglass absorbed all the impact and that saved us... As for my friend, he had an 80 vette,after this he sold it never to drive his car again. I found a new respect for Corvettes and speed.. Forgot to add I did pee all over my self too,just a few scratches and torn clothe............

Kinetic energy can be your friend...
Posted on: 2012/2/3 2:09

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

engineholic wrote:
One thing I gotta say bout the C3's is the faster you go the more they suck down into the ground.....They r my favorite vettes. My roadster was set up for top end, monster top end cam n valve train, stock gears, 2" taller tires in rear....... Will never know how fast she could go except to say I've never been in a faster car...

Odd... considering how wind tunnel tests showed they lifted! I wonder if your suspension mods reaimed it just enough to give it down force?

All that matters is that your ok!!!
Posted on: 2012/2/3 2:10

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

engineholic wrote:

Odd... considering how wind tunnel tests showed they lifted! I wonder if your suspension mods reaimed it just enough to give it down force?

All that matters is that your ok!!!

I'm jus say'in my 69' and 72' both responded the same way, now with the 66 I cant go fast with my 456 gears,n cant put tires under it ...Totally diff. car.
Another thing bout that accident, We both itched for weeks from fiberglass shavings.
Posted on: 2012/2/3 2:16

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Oh, I bet you did! That's why I hate messing with fiberglass!

And yes, C2s were horrid for front end lift at speed. The GS program proved that, and Duntov went to war with Mitchell over the aero of that thing.
Posted on: 2012/2/3 3:09

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

I still see my old friend here and there, and we both recall that day as if it was yesterday. My DAD ended up chopping up the remains of the 72 and throwing it in the shop dumpster . NBD
Posted on: 2012/2/3 4:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.