Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
230 user(s) are online (203 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L80E
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 2.43
2nd Gear: 1.49
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.75

Reverse: 2.07

- Used in production GM models...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

EngineDoctor WEIGHT LIFTING & STRENGTH TRAINING THREAD
Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

I started this thread because I train old school... And I am looking for new ways to add size to my arms and chest quickly. I know there has be an easier way. I only use free weights, no machines. If any of you have any input, I would diggit ! I want to add 1" to my bicepts and tricepts combined, and a couple of inches more to my chest. I hope this thread can help us all stay a bit healthier ;)

Attach file:

bmp  a.bmp (900.05 KB)
7794_4f7f9970be269.bmp 480X640 px
Posted on: 2012/4/7 1:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: WEIGHT LIFTING & STRENGTH TRAINING THREAD
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

1" is extremely difficult to add, especially at an older age. I'll be 32 in a few months and I have difficulty adding any size. Testosterone levels start dropping at about age 25.

Despite that, I am not really interested in gaining size anymore. Just strength. My looks are pretty deceiving, a strong guy in a compact package. It's really taken years to learn how to work out and I'm still learning. I've been slowly moving my lifting style to lower reps and more compound movements. I'm now at the point where this is my workout (I made this myself):

Day 1)
Bench Press 3x3
Side Press (barbell) 3x3
Single Arm Bicep Curl (barbell) 3x3

Day 2)
Squats 3x3
Deadlifts 3x3

Day 3)
Off

Then repeat.

3x3 means three sets of three reps. 3 minute rest between sets. Sets are done at 90% 1RM. Powerlifting style so your whole body is involved, all muscles and core contracted.

I am also adding in some crossfit workouts sporadically. I enjoy those, but a different style of training.

I have tons of other info if you want to talk further.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/4/7 2:01

EngineDoctor Re: WEIGHT LIFTING & STRENGTH TRAINING THREAD
Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

I do want to talk further , and thank you for the input!

I am going to be 51 and things get harder(thank God ) with age , even though I feel 31 !

I am 5' 7" @ 205pds./ Weight doesnt matter to me, It's how my clothe fit, Never wanna go to bigger clothe ! Been called "A little Bull" ... Anyhow, I have the advantage of having a big boned body, with less area to work, so that makes it easier, I have the mass to work with, besides I am a south paw, ya, I know no relevance !I am looking for the "Illusion" look ! I have heard that confusing the muscles are a plus by different exersizes, that true?

Also should do bout 200 sit ups a day for waist @ a 38", Gotta get to a 34" somehow

I dont understand how many reps u do in each set ??
Posted on: 2012/4/7 3:00

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

The problem with weightlifting is there are 1000 different theories. All of them hold valid and incorrect assumptions and truths at the same time. Now tell me which one is best No such thing. There is so much wrong information out there it's sickening. The muscle mags are the worst for that! Took me a while to learn that.

As far as your questions...muscle confusion is a popular idea. I tend to agree with it to a point. Tony Horton has made a lot of money off it...aka p90X. I did a course and it's a good program. Teaches you how to work out well. A couple guys on here have done it. Crossfit is similar in that you are constantly doing different exercise combinations and at higher intensity. From what I'm told, Tony Horton was a crossfitter early on.

Situps...this is one of the BIGGEST misconceptions from every person in the world. Situps do not make your stomach smaller. Period. Without a doubt. Situps are to strengthen the muscles in your stomach. A strong core is very important in all facets of exercise and daily life. I suggest core exercises as a foundation of any workout.

The only way to lose weight is simple mathematics....calories in vs calories out. It is stated that the average male needs a 2000 calorie diet. If you are sedentary, you need less, active, you need more. My calorie intake is around 2400-2500 a day. I also workout and am very active. The only correct way to lose weight is by eating a healthy, calorie tracked diet, with exercise in addition. A pound of weight is roughly equal to 3500 calories. A simple man would say cut 500 calories a day and you'll lose weight...yes and no. You need to figure out your caloric needs and base your maintenance or weight loss goals on that. If you eat 4000 calories a day and cut to 3500, you're still 1000-1500 over what you need...you won't lose weight! I recommend signing up on a site such as myfitnesspal.com that tracks the food you eat and will set you up with your caloric intake needs. There are a ton of them out there, apps for you iphone, etc, so pick one you like.

Reps in my sets that you were referring to...I only do three reps. Yup. Three. The weightlifting gods are frowning upon me! No...it's a powerlifting style and I've already seen strength increases. In powerlifting you don't train to fatigue...opposite of what you've heard before, right? Well, by doing less reps, you keep better form and your body is less prone to injury. In this case, you don't want lactic acid build up, etc.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/4/7 11:44

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

What type of workout are you doing now, I can recommend some variations for you to try.
Posted on: 2012/4/7 11:45

Ultraman Re: WEIGHT LIFTING & STRENGTH TRAINING THREAD
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14728 Posts

I have lifted wieghts for years a still do and will be 62 in a few days. Years ago I bought in on the concept that its the amount of work a muscle does that counts not how many times it does it. I think it is better to lift a very heavy weight less reps thus breaking down the micro fibers in the muscles, which has to happen for growth. So I at one time could stack 300 on the bench press (free weights) and lift it off the Smith Rack only 8 inches and do that 5 times....max output....I would do that 2 reps. Same with biceps and tri's and squats. Less travel or what was called the power stroke, but the most you can lift.

With this type of lifting you only lift once a week because it takes a week to regenerate and allow your muscles to heal and grow. The older you get the longer that takes. My son is 18 and he can lift every day and is ready for more.....not me. You do not need to lift 3 times a week is what the mantra was.

That and creatine gave me some big arms back in my 50's and chest also. The problem is the joints and tendons having to support that weight as I got older. Now I do P90X to stay trim and have some muscle tone. P90X is all about muscle confusion and a year ago I was in the all around best shape I had been in a long time.

Motivation is what gets hard to come by when you get older. After a long day at work and the more aches and pains I have, the harder it is to get down to the weight room. The P90X program mixes things up which I like. I did not do the Yoga portion because I was bad at it but do see its benifits if done correctly.

I am back to 2 or 3 times a week workouts and will pick my favorite P90X and do those. I have an active lifestyle and work with the lifting and throwing of seed bags and always jumping up and down off of trailers and such which helps a lot.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth......
Posted on: 2012/4/7 11:49
Edited by Ultraman on 2012/4/7 12:07:13
Edited by Ultraman on 2012/4/7 12:30:02

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Marcus brings up some good points.

Also understand there is a difference between being strong and being in shape.

If you can bench press 300 lbs you're strong, right? What if you weight 400?
Posted on: 2012/4/7 12:11

Huskerland
14728 Posts

The limiting factor for guys like me was my genetic makeup. I did not have the body type that was going to be able to sculpt like Arnold and the big boys do. All I could do was the best I could with what I had to work with. Matt is right I would rather be in all around shape more that just pumped up.....cardio is huge and when you combine the two you will have the best of both worlds...
Posted on: 2012/4/7 12:23

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Also understand that bodybuilders at the professional level...aka arnold, ronnie coleman, jay cutler....take some form of steroids...period. 22 inch biceps are not natural.
Posted on: 2012/4/7 14:46

Huskerland
14728 Posts

Whats not natural......

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/4/7 15:25

istter1 Re: WEIGHT LIFTING & STRENGTH TRAINING THREAD
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Lost over 80 lb last 2 years. Wearing 36 want 34. shirt now Med was ex large for a long time. Like lots was a stud until I got married. Went to college on a Track scholarship. Low that female dog (exwife)destroyed my life. Lucky me I got the kids in the divorce. After the last kid mover out I finally gave a dam again. (that is the important part caring about yourself.). I just turned 58 and am fit. I want to lose another 20 lb slowly as I have so far. Not like when I worked out 5-7 hours a day. That is bull at my age. I go to 24hour fitness 5 days a week. Will never look like I did in my prime but have learned to accept that.
Posted on: 2012/4/8 16:51

BillH Re: WEIGHT LIFTING & STRENGTH TRAINING THREAD
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

The P90X must be good, in only 90 days...........

Attach file:

jpg  front_beforeafter.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2012/4/8 17:11

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

It even put a smile on his face. My son uses P90 when he has time.
Posted on: 2012/4/8 18:27

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

If you follow the P90X religiously, including the diet plan, you will look like that after 90 days.
Posted on: 2012/4/8 19:21

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Lots of interesting stuff I'm reading here....I too have never had the genetics for a sculpted body like some guys, but I have been able to build size easily.. I just got bak to lifting after bout a year lay off, and I'm ready to shape up,I am counting on the fact that muscle has memory, or does it ?:? Every time I start bak up I size up in jus a few weeks again, weird.. Draw bak on lay off is I gained 15 pds in a year, I am happy at bout 190pds. Dropping the weight wont be easy, I know that .
glad that Matt said sit ups are worthless, as i hate those, they kill my back ! Question is WHAT can I do for my love handles and waist to trim down , jumping jacks??
I used to do aerobics too and that was great, but too old for that now, maybe yoga , Idk?
My work out now is simple :

using only dumbells...
Daily except weekends
3sets of 15 curls.
3sets of 15 butterflies.
3 sets of 15 dumbbell press over head. Sometimes my 1st set is 10 reps, 2nd set 12 reps 3rd set 15 reps to get that burn! I was taught that no pain no gain to get that burn..I gotta admit I am amazed at Matt's reps being only 3! Not doin cardio yet, thinking bout goin kak to martial arts for that. oh and yes, I spend 8hrs a day for the last 30+ years lifting Blocks , Heads , and Cranks YUK bout it for now..

Attach file:

jpg  wow.jpg (58.25 KB)
7794_4f8201ea66f12.jpg 600X648 px

jpg  wow.jpg (58.25 KB)
7794_4f820218ef7de.jpg 600X648 px
Posted on: 2012/4/8 21:24

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

I saw this word in some of these posts... ^^^^above pic is my what? .......... ! ^^^^
One more thing, metabolism... everyone's is diff....plays a roll! The thyroid gland has alot to do with wat we can and cannot do IMHO!
Posted on: 2012/4/8 22:28

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Well...I didn't say situps were "worthless" lol. But they don't burn fat or reduce the size of your stomach. As stated above, you need a reduced calorie diet...and some form of aerobic exercise would help. Do you work out in a gym or at home? That makes a difference. Running, jogging, rowing, bike, jumping jacks, jumping rope....anything to get your heart rate up in your ideal range for about 20 minutes 2-3 times a week. That will help you lose the lbs.

As far as the strength training, you need a more varied routine with body strength / compound movements. Have you ever heard of legs? You know those things you walk around on? Yeah, you have to work those out, too

If you want to work out every day I can come up with some plans for you, but they have more variety. If you are set on using dumbbells only, that can be arranged, too. If you want a good dumbbell workout, Tony Horton had a good program called "Power 90" that he did before P90x. I have a few of the dvds and there is about a 30 minute dumbbell and bodyweight strength routine in there that is very effective (it even includes legs! lol). Do that three days a week with cardio days in-between and you'll see excellent results. You need to let your muscles rest a day in between working them out again.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/4/9 3:13

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

You guys inspired me so much I went out and bought a Wii fitness for my son and daughter in law. I was going to put them on with me at 24 hour Fitness but they always claim they don't have time with the 3 kids.
My daughter has one on the base. Funny Air Force has Gym??

hope it helps them they are in their early 20's

Posted on: 2012/4/9 18:59

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Sad that we have to make a video game to get people to work out and take care of their body!
Posted on: 2012/4/9 19:57

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

David:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEACHBODY-POW ... ain_0&hash=item43aeafe7fa

This ebay listing is ending soon, but buy these:

sculpt 3-4 circuit (1-2 is the beginner version)
sweat 3-4 (again, 1-2 is the beginner version)
Posted on: 2012/4/9 20:04

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Posted on: 2012/4/9 20:08

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Thanks Matt ! I will check that out. BTW my legs are fine, strongest part of my bod. I just wanted to start with arms and chest first, but will work all else too. I work out at home, have weight machine aswell as free weights. no time for gym due to shop.
Posted on: 2012/4/10 3:00

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Quote:

engineholic wrote:
Thanks Matt ! I will check that out. BTW my legs are fine, strongest part of my bod. I just wanted to start with arms and chest first, but will work all else too. I work out at home, have weight machine aswell as free weights. no time for gym due to shop.

Total body strength and conditioning is necessary! I'd highly recommend a comprehensive workout over an isolated muscle group workout for what you are intending.
Posted on: 2012/4/10 11:40

Durango_Boy Re: WEIGHT LIFTING & STRENGTH TRAINING THREAD
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Just adding my tidbits. I work out 4 - 5 times a week. I have a weight lifting program for my upper body and core and I run for my cardio...both on a treadmill at the gym and around my neighborhood where I have good hills to challenge myself with.

I do not work out my legs because they get too huge and I hate the issue of pants that fit my waist but not mu thighs. I keep my legs in shape by running and playing sports when I have time.

The weight routine I use changes every other week. I have three variations that I alternate between to keep my muscles guessing. I play with reps and weights and finding new ways to work the same muscle group.

Finally, being 33, I think I am in good shape. 6'1" @ 191 as of this morning. I am not looking for mass I am just wanting to stay fit and comfortable and able to do what I want to do on a daily basis without feeling incapable of something I used to be able to do.

I notice for sure how hard it is to maintain the way I am now as I get older. Just part of life as we age.
Posted on: 2012/4/10 13:22

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Here's a link........

http://www.gmdietworks.com

And Matt, I here ya loud and clear
Posted on: 2012/4/11 0:27

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:

I do not work out my legs because they get too huge and I hate the issue of pants that fit my waist but not mu thighs.

Stop buying skinny jeans...lol.
Posted on: 2012/4/11 1:14

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

I will start my cardio fresh next week.bak to martial arts, also , I decided not to set a specific time of day for weight lifting ! I think it's best to alternate the time and just get it done . Nobody ever commented on if muscles have memory ?? Would like to hear comments on this ;) thank You David!
Posted on: 2012/4/11 2:26

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

I like having a specific time to work out because then it's consistent and I can plan for it better.

As far as muscle memory...if you don't use your muscle tissue for a long time it will diminish...not completely, but I don't expect Arnold to be lifting what he did 30 years ago.
Posted on: 2012/4/11 3:12

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

I lift heavy Iron daily at work... Thats where I got my legs & arms in the first place Matt ;)
Posted on: 2012/4/11 3:24

Huskerland
14728 Posts

Muscle memory to me means that if you don't continue to push your muscles with more weight they will get lazy and not continue to gain. Staying with lighter weights and more reps will build some endurance but will not do a lot for mass.

This is one of the reasons the P90X system works is that they are using a variety of weights and excercises to keep the muscles confused, using thier terminology. A big part of their system though is the diet. You have to get rid of the fat to see the muscle tone underneith.

As you know you have to tear the muscle down to build it up and that takes maximum effort with heavier weights. A lot of times the last two or three reps is where the gain is. It also takes longer periods of rest in between workouts the older you get. I am up to a month now between lifts....
Posted on: 2012/4/11 12:56

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Well... I'm down to 198 from 205 ! Tryin to stay motivated. Feel stronger too ;) Havent changed my diet at all or started my cardio, just lifting .
Posted on: 2012/4/14 23:13

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Good job! Keep it up.
Posted on: 2012/4/15 0:59

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Good job! Keep it up.

Thanks Matt.. feel free to send me a dumbbell routine so i dont get bored... I came acrossed this gym in Brea, ca called "Cross fit "... they have a diff. approach, u ever here of them?
Posted on: 2012/4/15 1:20

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Crossfit is a style of working out. There are little gyms that pop up all over focusing/specializing in that. I just started doing it, I enjoy it.

http://www.crossfit.com/
Posted on: 2012/4/15 22:07

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Quote:

engineholic wrote:
feel free to send me a dumbbell routine so i dont get bored...

Seriously...buy the dvds I posted above.
Posted on: 2012/4/15 22:09

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

I cant stop lifting these weights.... This has to be a temporary disease .........
Posted on: 2012/4/17 1:51

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

So far, I've lost bout 20 pds and bout 3" off my waist !
I changed my diet.
All I eat 90 0/0 of the time is salads with italian sausage n eggs in it or tuna salads and dring water all day long, or diet pepsi. I can eat as much as I want and its very filling, I don't skimp on dressing either. Then 1 or 2 times a week I get pizza or whatever else I want to eat.
Posted on: 2012/6/18 20:48

Huskerland
14728 Posts

Quote:

engineholic wrote:
So far, I've lost bout 20 pds and bout 3" off my waist !
I changed my diet.
All I eat 90 0/0 of the time is salads with italian sausage n eggs in it or tuna salads and dring water all day long, or diet pepsi. I can eat as much as I want and its very filling, I don't skimp on dressing either. Then 1 or 2 times a week I get pizza or whatever else I want to eat.

Don't forget to eat a steak quite often...a lean cut of steak like a sirloin and as big as a toilet lid will add that muscle to ya......(brought to you by Beef its whats for dinner adds and a lot of clients that I work with...
Posted on: 2012/6/18 21:39

Huskerland
14728 Posts

Oh man.....I'm starving.....

Posted on: 2012/6/18 21:42

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

I tend to stay away from red meat, yet ur right !
Need to add it to my diet. I can make a huge steak n mix it up in my salad with dressing n hot sauce, Mmmmm !
Posted on: 2012/6/18 21:50

Huskerland
14728 Posts

Quote:

engineholic wrote:
I tend to stay away from red meat, yet ur right !
Need to add it to my diet. I can make a huge steak n mix it up in my salad with dressing n hot sauce, Mmmmm !

stick with the lean cuts and you can go grass fed or organic if you don't mind paying extra.....I always thought the growth hormones they give the feedlot cows helped put a little extra muscle on me........
Posted on: 2012/6/18 21:58

Vetron87 Re: WEIGHT LIFTING & STRENGTH TRAINING THREAD
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

I turned 63 last April, I was a swimmer in High School, College and in the Navy. I swim 3 times a week 72 laps or one mile. Excellent cardio, When I left the Navy I weighed 248, currently 256 at 6'4". When I changed my fittness training and went to free weights low weight high reps I never gained strenght matter fact it interferred with my stroke. I changed to heavy weights lower reps and really built muscle mass, these destroyed my ability to swim distance. Conclusion stick with what I knew best, swimming and distance. When I had both knees replaced in 05 that stopped any heavy weights as far as squats and leg presses. Testosterone levels do fall of drastically in your 50's and for some that power to push weights really diminish in their 60's. Its a bitch getting old
Posted on: 2012/6/18 22:13

Huskerland
14728 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
I turned 63 last April, I was a swimmer in High School, College and in the Navy. I swim 3 times a week 72 laps or one mile. Excellent cardio, When I left the Navy I weighed 248, currently 256 at 6'4". When I changed my fittness training and went to free weights low weight high reps I never gained strenght matter fact it interferred with my stroke. I changed to heavy weights lower reps and really built muscle mass, these destroyed my ability to swim distance. Conclusion stick with what I knew best, swimming and distance. When I had both knees replaced in 05 that stopped any heavy weights as far as squats and leg presses. Testosterone levels do fall of drastically in your 50's and for some that power to push weights really diminish in their 60's. Its a bitch getting old

Hi Ron good to see you're post.....swimming is great cardio and builds endurance and lean muscle....I just couldn't ever figure out how to swim and watch Sportscenter at the same time........lol....

How you been now that you have retired and don't do much...
Posted on: 2012/6/18 22:20

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

David - glad to hear the fitness routine is paying off! As I said before, you see how important diet is. Keep up the good work. And I'm glad you're making sure to cheat a little now and then. If you don't, then you tend to rebel against the healthy eating altogether.

Keep up the good work!
Posted on: 2012/6/18 23:57

vetteblondie Re: WEIGHT LIFTING & STRENGTH TRAINING THREAD
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4641 Posts

I agree with one of Matt's earlier posts - CORE STRENGTH - this will also help you with the rest of your workouts. I am not doing P90X but am doing cardiofit/boxing - and there's a circuit twice in there also - all in an hour. Never the same workout. Although I've only lost about 5 pounds (need to lose 80) I have lost 11 total inches. I had three years of depression caused body/health meltdown. I'm 'rebuilding' me from the inside out so to speak. There are several core building exercises you can do, plus in our workouts we have boxing, weights, cardio - all of it. Yesterday was 'ab and ass' day, today might be more cardio focused, tomorrow might be more for upper body, etc. There's always boxing and kicking too.
also, on size increase - please correct if wrong but I'm told that it's the 'down not the up' that does it. EX: on a curl, it's not lifting the weight in the curl, it's the slow letting it down that builds. ???
either way - my BP is lower, I know I'm healthier and stronger and can do lots more in there that I could when I started. My trainers see things improve that I do not - they say my hiney is higher and firmer, my arms/legs look better and my middle is reshaping. I can't tell but they can - I just know what the measuring tape says and how my clothes fit.
But, then again - I have a very long way to go. I've given myself a year and have made big diet changes. Keeping up with a healthy protein intake seems to be a problem for me but you have to feed those muscles so your workouts aren't robbing your muscles for energy.
I try not to cheat on my diet, but he does tell me to have something I want now and then but only a small amount of it and to eat 4-5 times a day but small meals, says that keeps metabolism going.
it's hard for me as my job requires me to sit on my ass
Keep up the good work you will be well rewarded. I also commend those who can do it on their own. I do not have the determination for that. I have personal training sessions as well as 'class' and if i miss, I at least try to walk three miles at the local ball park walking track.
(side note, congrats to our trainer, also for winning his fight this past weekend - Mike Wessel...)
Also, I'm no spring chicken either, just turned 44. For a woman that means pre-menopausal disaster.
For the guys it's a testosterone thing but I have a friend who is 50, had heart surgery four years ago and kind of let himself go, and now you should see that dude in a Tshirt! Wow - his arms are huge - doesn't look 50 at all.
Posted on: 2012/6/21 16:10

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

VB, I,m glad u shared that ! It is hard work, but u know the old saying "no pain no gain " ! Keep it up u will reach ur goal
Posted on: 2012/6/21 21:36

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:

also, on size increase - please correct if wrong but I'm told that it's the 'down not the up' that does it. EX: on a curl, it's not lifting the weight in the curl, it's the slow letting it down that builds. ???

New muscle is built when the existing muscle is broken down (cells damaged). This happens by placing a large load on it during a contraction. During a bicep curl, the up phase is concentric (shortening) and the down phase is eccentric (lengthening). I feel they are both *equally* important, but this is my opinion. All of your reps should be slow and controlled. Counting 2 seconds up and 2 seconds down is a good practice. I think the reason trainers say focus on the negative (in general, down) is that people tend to "drop" the weight instead of using muscle to control it down. If you read some training methodologies, like Pavel for example, he stresses muscular irradiation throughout the whole lift which is tensing all surrounding muscle groups including your core to increase your strength. I personally tend to follow that philosophy.

Hope that helps.

This article also mentions isometric contractions - I don't do them much but they are hard and some people like them. I think like anything, balanced, they are a good addition to any training regimen.

http://muscle.ucsd.edu/musintro/contractions.shtml
Posted on: 2012/6/22 1:47

vetteblondie Re: WEIGHT LIFTING & STRENGTH TRAINING THREAD
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4641 Posts

Part of tonight's workout was more lifting than yesterday and he talked about the slow up as well as slow down, and he emphasized form. A ton of boxing and kicking and sprawls and mountain climbers in the first half today - but we got our cardio in that way - the 2nd half was the lifting and strength and core. Had to do those planks on a stability ball this time - that's a new one. Push ups alternating on that med ball suck too...
Posted on: 2012/6/22 3:50

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

From what you're saying, it sounds like your trainer is doing the right things. You should look forward to some good results!
Posted on: 2012/6/22 11:25

smooth Re: WEIGHT LIFTING & STRENGTH TRAINING THREAD
Senior Guru
Formerly "Aquavet" in Pa.
386 Posts

Hey Matthew,
Since I'm on a low dose of Testosterone,(200mg every 3 weeks) I wonder if I can use this to my advantage. I haven't seen any problems yet like estrogen imbalance (man boobs) or anything, but since my back was broken (thankyou myeloma) I cant do squats or anything like that. Any upperbody/arm suggestions?
alan
Posted on: 2012/7/3 17:42

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.