Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  CFI
Cross Fire Injection. Method of fuel delivery in the L82 motor. The 1984 is the only C4 to use the L82. This is the same engine used in the 1982 C3. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

ToppThat average operating temp.
Guru Newb
Des Plaines. IL
30 Posts

I know this is a controversial subject.But for the ls7 what is a good operating temp,that wont harm or affect engine. Or rather at what temp do i get moisture.
Posted on: 2012/5/7 22:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: average operating temp.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Here is the thing... too cool, bad... too hot, bad...

Modern engines are designed to operate at marginally higher temps than we are used to seeing. This is due to the different metals and such and their expansion rates. Essentially, once they get up to full op temp, they have swelled to fit and are all happy with each other.

Now... with all that said, I would want my temps on a modern engine to be no less than about 200F. All bets are off with aluminum engines... Essentially, whatever the old temps were, keep to them.

My LT1 is iron block/aluminum head and it runs in the 190F range on the open highway. I would want to see an LS7 in the 195-205 range. That sounds very good.

Anything higher would be bad... anything lower would be worse.
Posted on: 2012/5/7 23:33

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Ultraman Re: average operating temp.
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14706 Posts

My LS1 will run 192 to 195 down the road on an 80 degree type day.....sitting in line at BK's it will go up to 220's before fans kick on. I'm thinking your engine should be happy in that same range.....
Posted on: 2012/5/8 0:16

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

ToppThat Re: average operating temp.
Guru Newb
Des Plaines. IL
30 Posts

ls7 modded 200-220 stuck to stock thermo.Its hard for a 70s era to adjust.You still see alot of 160 talk,but daily drivers probobly need higher temps.Thanks for the info.
Posted on: 2012/5/8 2:49

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

they MUST have higher temps. 160 will kill a modern engine, especially an aluminum one.

Oh, if you want an adjustment, get used to driving one of those Honda VTEC engines... My old Prelude VTEC would cruise in 5th gear (top), all day long at 90mph spinning 4000 RPM!! And getting 26MPG in the process. 5th was 1:1 in those things.
Posted on: 2012/5/8 3:19

Matatk Re: average operating temp.
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Modern engines run a little hotter - it's better for wear, combustion, emissions, etc.
Posted on: 2012/5/8 11:15

Guru Newb
Des Plaines. IL
30 Posts

Before you get insulting with honda references.What i was pointing out is the majority of mod shops push i60 thermos claiming extra h.p.
Posted on: 2012/5/8 12:07

BillH Re: average operating temp.
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

All a 160 T-Stat does is warm up the engine slower. These cooling sysyems won't run at 160 even with the T-stat removed.
Posted on: 2012/5/8 13:26

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Add in high-capacity dual core aluminum radiators and fans set at super low temps, the 160F stat became a dangerous thing.

The preconceived notion was that cooler engine = cooler intake = more power production. The problem with that theory? Cooler engines are more prone to violent wear. Also, the only part that really benefits from being cooler is the intake, so if you really want cooler, either ice it down between passes or get one made of composites that don't heat soak in the first place. What matters then is: a cooler induction charge.

Being sure that the air drawn in is cooler and not coming from the engine compartment. This air is denser and packs more oxygen per cubic foot than does hot air.

This is exactly what an intercooler does for turbo engines. It cools and makes even denser the incoming air charge. This is necessary because the turbo, by using hot exhaust gases, in junction with the physics of compressing air, the intercooler becomes an absolute necessity! Same thing applies to the supercharged engines.

Posted on: 2012/5/8 16:29

Guru Newb
Des Plaines. IL
30 Posts

I have a vararam but i am going to ask the tuner what my fan set temp is.This setup is pretty new,but man did it pull on i294 today.Forgot to check temp at 3x you know what.
Posted on: 2012/5/8 23:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.