Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ALDC
Assembly Line Diagnostic Connection

The connection to the ECM/PCM of a computer controlled vehicle, in the case of the C4 Corvette, located under ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Durango_Boy Disaster - Engine seized.
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

My 1977 Corvette has a 405 and dual side draft carbs. I'm not a carb guy so I had someone else suggest components and build them to what he thought suited the 405. End result was too much carb for the engine. Three weeks ago today I dropped the Vette off to a local shop who's owner has extensive experience with these carbs and he was going to tune them down to what the engine would be happier with.

Short a tech, and too far behind to start on my back burner project, he basically was starting it and moving it in and out of the shop every day until he could get to it.

This morning was no different. He started it and moved it outside and let it sit running to warm up while he moved a few other cars and trucks around in the shop.

When he went back to turn off the Vette engine it was already not running. Curious, he attempted to restart it and got nothing. He tried to turn it by hand. Nothing.

An oil cooler line up front popped off when he moved it this morning and it promptly emptied it's oil onto the ground under the nose of the car and ran until it seized.

At this point I am going to have to call a flatbed tow to pick it up and take it back home to my garage so I can pull the engine / transmission and start tearing it apart to investigate the extent of the damage.

BTW - The oil cooler lines up front had two hose clamps each for redundancy. Either both hose clamps let go or a line got caught on something on the ground as he moved it. Not sure which and it's all speculation.

Essentially, since he wasn't working on it, and just moving it in and out every day, he's washed his hands of responsibility and I'll be covering all the costs associated with figuring out what happened.

Yeah, heck of a birthday present...bringing my Vette home from a shop with a seized engine.
Posted on: 2012/6/5 14:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Disaster - Engine seized.
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Sucks Matt.
Good luck.
Posted on: 2012/6/5 14:46

pianoguy Re: Disaster - Engine seized.
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Jeeeeez, that blows - sorry to hear, man!
Posted on: 2012/6/5 15:38

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

1Fast04Vert Re: Disaster - Engine seized.
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

The fact that he had it at his shop and was actually starting and driving it means he should be liable. Also, he should have garage liability insurance to cover it.
Posted on: 2012/6/5 16:40

Durango_Boy Re: Disaster - Engine seized.
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
The fact that he had it at his shop and was actually starting and driving it means he should be liable. Also, he should have garage liability insurance to cover it.

I will speak with a lawyer about it, but I just don't think it being in his possession is enough to take him to court for it. All he was doing was moving the cars around and I'm pretty sure that garage insurance does not cover that unless he directly damaged it. It seems to me, since he started it and while it was idling, the hose came loose, that it was just bad luck.

Yeah, I'm upset and discouraged and I want to search for someone else to blame and pay. However, sometimes these things happen and in this case it's my time and my money that pays for this disaster.

I just finished getting the garage ready at home to receive the wounded Corvette. I'm meeting a flatbed tow truck at the shop at 1:00 PM and we'll get it home.

First thing I think I'll do it pull the pan and check for metal, or any obvious signs or damage like a broken crank of visible cylinder wall damage.

There's no good news around the corner and there will be no cheap way out of this.
Posted on: 2012/6/5 16:55

EngineDoctor Re: Disaster - Engine seized.
Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Sorry that happened,sucks!
Posted on: 2012/6/5 19:46

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I left work and got the car taken home. I won't have much time to investigate until next week. We have a house guest coming, my Birthday is tomorrow, and then a big float trip this weekend.

Maybe an evening next week will be a good time to start pulling it apart to see what happened and what actually seized.

I may be looking for a buyer for one of my kidneys so I can get this repaired and back on the road fast. I don't want it sitting for a few more years while I slowly rebuild it all.
Posted on: 2012/6/5 20:20

TommyT-Bone Re: Disaster - Engine seized.
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Sorry to hear this _Boy. Check the area in question for obvious signs of damage through contact. Doubtful you'll find much financial relief as it's not related to work done on the car and you'd have to prove negligence regarding handling of the vehicle.(JMO) Keep us informed.

Sucks +1
Posted on: 2012/6/5 20:47

bogus Re: Disaster - Engine seized.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Dude... Sorry to hear.

And he should be liable... I will explain later... On my phone right now!
Posted on: 2012/6/5 21:29

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Seeing as it seized at an idle, me thinks that hopefully u might get by with re-bearing it, crank polish etc.,.hopefully no main housing damage...good luck!
Posted on: 2012/6/5 21:54

Matatk Re: Disaster - Engine seized.
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

That sucks! I don't understand how it was fine when you dropped it off, he moved it several times, then magically it popped open the oil line with two clamps and it seized. Maybe someone was tinkering who shouldn't have been.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/6/5 22:08

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

ok... legal crap from what I remember... and this varies from state to state.

It gets fuzzy... follow the stream and see where it takes us. For some reason, since my initial post, I don't think you have much of a legal leg to stand on... I will be curious what you lawyer says.

You see, he is a business, so it is implied that anything sitting in his shop is there for business. Invoices not withstanding.

If this happened at my house, it could be argued that I was somehow derelict in my duty to properly care for the car, but at the same time, if I was unaware that something of this nature could fail... you see how the argument goes.

And that's how I see this going...

1. Did the clamps fail?

2. Did the hose fail?

3. Did someone monkey with the hoses?

4. Did you not tighten them?

5. Can either 3 or 4 be proven?

6. Was this component the reason the car was in the shop?

#6 is will more than likely clinch the case in his favour... sure, it broke in his care, but it wasn't a part he was working on or had expectations of working on.

It's like going to the dr with a broken arm, and dying from a blood clot in the leg. The cause and effect isn't always there.

I would try to cut a deal... see if he bites... perhaps a set of bearings or a used block or something.
Posted on: 2012/6/6 2:24

flyboy Re: Disaster - Engine seized.
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

You did such a beautiful job on the engine build. What a bite to have to pull it apart.
Posted on: 2012/6/6 3:10

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Too much speculation, would it not to be wise to find out the facts b4 pointing fingers ? sad enough 2 have this happen. I would b upset, but get to the root of the prob. !JMHO
Posted on: 2012/6/6 3:38

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Quote:

engineholic wrote:
Too much speculation, would it not to be wise to find out the facts b4 pointing fingers ? sad enough 2 have this happen. I would b upset, but get to the root of the prob. !JMHO

Where's the fun in that?
Posted on: 2012/6/6 3:50

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

The facts are not in my favor but I did make a discovery that sends the blame in a completely different direction, and makes it even harder to find a closure.

When I first installed the oil cooler I bent some hard lines to get down and under the radiator, where they would meet rubber lines that came from the adapter sandwiched under the oil filter. I flared the ends of the hard lines, and I installed a pair of hose clamps per line...what were S/S.

Over a year ago, I had the Vette at a different shop being timed / tuned on a Sun Machine. While there, the oil cooler itself developed a leak. I ordered a new one, and dropped it off one day, and the mechanic told me one of his transmission guys would install it and we would get back to the tuning on my day off a few days later.

My guess is the transmission guy was having trouble getting the rubber lines over the nipples I flared because now all of a sudden the flared ends of the lines are missing and it's just smooth strait lines with no flares.

No wonder the line popped off, even with two hose clamps. The smooth lines with no flares, oil under rubber...just a matter of time.

This tells me that the true blame more than likely lies with that kid who was either too impatient to do it right or just didn't give a crap and thought it would be easier to slice off the ends of the lines to make his job faster and easier.

I've had no reason to re-inspect any of that work, especially considering the car has been driven around since then over a year later.

At this point, I have no desire to press this legally with this current shop or the owner. I have no legal recourse, and considering the length of time since the cooler was changed, I have nothing but speculation and assumptions.

So, for my Birthday, I got a dead Corvette. LOL.
Posted on: 2012/6/6 11:57

Ultraman Re: Disaster - Engine seized.
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14706 Posts

Nuts DB....like stated earlier I hope the damage is not severe. The whole thing sounds kinda odd though...hoses don't usually just jump off the lines. Good luck with it.
Posted on: 2012/6/6 12:16

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

rklessdriver Re: Disaster - Engine seized.
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

This blows man. Really sorry to hear about it.
Will
Posted on: 2012/6/6 12:37

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Epimax Re: Disaster - Engine seized.
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

I'm really sorry to hear this..
Man..that just sucks..
Posted on: 2012/6/6 13:02

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:

So, for my Birthday, I got a dead Corvette. LOL.

And this ............

Posted on: 2012/6/6 13:50

Trae1976 Re: Disaster - Engine seized.
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Dang, that's terrible DB.  Hope the damage isn't too bad.  sad7

Posted on: 2012/6/6 14:20

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Have you contacted the previous shop?
Posted on: 2012/6/7 1:28

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

that really sucks... In most states, you have 2 years to file a claim in small claims court... just say'n.

Posted on: 2012/6/7 2:19

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
that really sucks... In most states, you have 2 years to file a claim in small claims court... just say'n.

While that is true, there is no way that could stand up.

I don't know the name of the kid, I doubt it was even invoiced since the owner and I typically arranged "Cash and Carry" transactions and I I cannot prove what he did or did not do when installing that cooler.

As stated from the beginning, this is something I am looking forward at and am not going to dwell on what may have happened in the past. It's done and long gone.

I can only take it step by step and move ahead. Find out what is wrong, take steps to fix or correct it, and not worry or stress about anything else.

I'll be sure to keep this thread updated but I honestly won't have time to even pull the oil pan until next week sometime.
Posted on: 2012/6/7 2:42

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I guess I wasn't aware you were having weber related issues.

I had one back in the day, and only figured the damned thing out 10 years after I got rid of the car.

In short, Weber's are easy... just need some parts and a set of drill bits. There is then a blank jet that you drill with a starting jet... install, test, repeat with larger bit until done. The order that size jet. The jets are indexed with the bits.
Posted on: 2012/6/8 6:22

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I guess I wasn't aware you were having weber related issues.

I had one back in the day, and only figured the damned thing out 10 years after I got rid of the car.

In short, Weber's are easy... just need some parts and a set of drill bits. There is then a blank jet that you drill with a starting jet... install, test, repeat with larger bit until done. The order that size jet. The jets are indexed with the bits.

Andy, these are actually Mikuni side draft carbs. Supposedly easier to work on.

The problem was when I first got them I bought a full on jet and nozzle kit and someone who supposedly knew these carbs suggested I set it up in a certain way assuming they would be small for the engine...they were basically maxed out on everything.

I was having bothersome issues like rich gas smelling exhaust, bad mileage even with a TH2004R, and a high idle both in gear and out of gear. Symptoms of too much carb. I researched a little bit and found that I was likely seeing close to 880 CFM, or 220 per barrel. Waaaaay too much for a SBC 405.

A shop owner I was already familiar with expressed confidence he could get them set up much better for the engine using the parts I still had so I dropped it off so he could tinker.

That leads us to the 5th of June, when the phone call I got was not a good one like I was hoping for.
Posted on: 2012/6/8 12:07

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Thought I would update:

This morning, I pulled the oil pan. No chunks in the pan and oil didn't have coolant. Lots of bearing dust was present and I could see that enough heat built up to completely dry off some of the crank. Rods ends looks super dry too so I know I have some seized rod bearings.

As far as what I dug out though, main bearings #2 and #3 were spun. #2 was chewed to hell and #3 wasn't far behind. I could see #1 and #4 were next but they had not spun yet.

I know now for sure the engine has to come out. The trick is that I need to get it rotating so I can disconnect it from the transmission.

I'll start tearing it down from the top, removing accessories, intake, heads...getting it down to the long block. Once down that far I can start disconnecting pistons and pushing them out and at the same time check for cylinder wall damage.

Based on what I have found so far...barring cylinder wall damage, I will need a new crank, R&R the rods, and new bearings.

This is assuming the block checks out free of cracks. I don't think the bearings spun long enough to damage the mains but I will have them checked and we'll line hone or line bore based on their findings.

Block Check / Line Hone / Line Bore
New Crank
R&R Rods
New Bearings

My assessment so far, assuming I don't find more damage that will require more things be replaced.
Posted on: 2012/6/16 15:11

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Wow ! thats alot of damage for an engine to get during idle!! The mains especially, make sure u have the main housing closely inspected around the oiling holes for cracks.
Wat a bummer :/
Posted on: 2012/6/16 20:12

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

The idle is fast so yeah it is a lot of damage for an idle, but the engine idled in Park at close to 2K RPMs. Heck, even in gear my stop idle was 1K. That's part of why the car was at the shop. The carbs were being taken way down, lowering everything. I was showing the engine 880 CFM. I wanted that down a lot closer to 600 - 650.

I got the engine disassembled down to the short block this morning. Everything I found was in good shape. All plugs even read between light brown or dark brown...none wet. Only the #5 plug looked bad, kind of a flaky white / tan / brown texture. I'll look into that more later.

Cylinder walls looked good from the top. I still can't turn it though until I get some pistons out but from what I can see no wall damage. If my luck holds, the pistons will be in good shape and the rings will have done no damage.

So far it's still looking as though I'll squeak past this with a new crank, bearings, and rebuilt rods.

I knew this was going to happen but I am already making A mental list of the things I want to do "While I am at it".

I'm going to cut out the divider making my manifold a dual plane, at least so the mixture entering the manifold mixes before it separates to in effect it'll be a single plane manifold. Being a 400, and already favoring the low end, I'm not afraid of losing bottom end to achieve the better mixture. I think this will also help my cold start, and the glowing primaries during warmup when the start circuit is leaning out the mixture.

Once I get some of the pistons out, get it to turn, I can pull the block and get it to the machine shop ASAP for testing. I can't go anywhere with it until I know the block is safe to rebuild.

Then it's just a matter of buying a new 400 crank, rebuilding the rods, and putting everything back together with new gaskets and fluids.
Posted on: 2012/6/17 16:09

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Your 1/2 way there
Posted on: 2012/6/18 0:20

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Yesterday I finished disassembly. The rod bearings were all dry and clamping the crank, preventing it from spinning. This not only made it impossible to disconnect the flex plate from the torque converter but it also meant it was going to be extremely difficult to get to all the fasteners holding the rod caps on.

First I got the easy ones out but the ones holding the crank tight were also the ones at the top of their rotation, complicating things. Ugggg.

One by one I got all the pistons out using a small arsenal of various wrenches and ratchets and attachments so I could get all the fasteners. Once out, I had a few final things to disconnect before yanking out the all but bare block.

Stripped everything, put the mains back in, and loaded the block and piston / rods into the truck and dropped them off at the machine shop.

The +.020 block is getting a light hone, new cam bearings, and a full checkup. The bearings didn't actually spin in the journals...I misused that term in an earlier post. The main bearings got chewed up but the crank spinning dry but the bearings did not actually turn in the block...which is a reason this will all end up okay after a new crank.

The rods are being checked as a precaution, but again, the bearings did not spin so a new set of bearings to match the new crank and I'll be ready to get everything ready for reassembly.
Posted on: 2012/6/19 16:56

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Yesterday I finished disassembly. The rod bearings were all dry and clamping the crank, preventing it from spinning. This not only made it impossible to disconnect the flex plate from the torque converter but it also meant it was going to be extremely difficult to get to all the fasteners holding the rod caps on.

First I got the easy ones out but the ones holding the crank tight were also the ones at the top of their rotation, complicating things. Ugggg.

One by one I got all the pistons out using a small arsenal of various wrenches and ratchets and attachments so I could get all the fasteners. Once out, I had a few final things to disconnect before yanking out the all but bare block.

Stripped everything, put the mains back in, and loaded the block and piston / rods into the truck and dropped them off at the machine shop.

The +.020 block is getting a light hone, new cam bearings, and a full checkup. The bearings didn't actually spin in the journals...I misused that term in an earlier post. The main bearings got chewed up but the crank spinning dry but the bearings did not actually turn in the block...which is a reason this will all end up okay after a new crank.

The rods are being checked as a precaution, but again, the bearings did not spin so a new set of bearings to match the new crank and I'll be ready to get everything ready for reassembly.
Glad to hear the bearings did'nt spin. Good luck !
Posted on: 2012/6/19 19:46

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Block checked out. New cam bearings installed. Two of my rods may have deformed from excess heat, and didn't spec out, so I'll be putting (2) new rods in and retaining (6) of the rods I dropped off.

New crank, bearing sets, rings, light hone, and I can pick it all up tomorrow.

Following that I need new head gaskets, gasket set, fluids, and the aluminum water pump if I decide to change up to that.

Maybe in the next few weeks, budget willing, I'll be able to get everything I need to assemble it and get it installed again.
Posted on: 2012/6/21 21:05

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Block checked out. New cam bearings installed. Two of my rods may have deformed from excess heat, and didn't spec out, so I'll be putting (2) new rods in and retaining (6) of the rods I dropped off.

Following that I need new head gaskets, gasket set, fluids, and the aluminum water pump if I decide to change up to that.

Maybe in the next few weeks, budget willing, I'll be able to get everything I need to assemble it and get it installed again.

No balancing ?
Posted on: 2012/6/21 21:12

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

engineholic wrote:
Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:

No balancing ?

Not this time. This whole system was balanced when I assembled it several years ago. Basically I wasted my money everything so well balanced it needed next to no corrections. I spoke with him about it again this time and we agreed to skip it.

I did this for two reasons, though I hate talking about balancing in open forums. It's like politics. Some people will love it some people couldn't give a crap, and no one lets anyone have their own opinions. LOL.

Basically, I built a low revving torque heavy 400. I used stock block, stock crank, stock 5.7" rods, and a stock flex plate. I ground all rods the same to clear the cam. Nothing was out of balance last time and I am not worried about something being out of balance this time.

For this engine, my engine, which I do not over rev or abuse...I don't see or can't justify the need. However, I have balanced engines I have built in the past because of different circumstances. I guess I take it case by case. If I feel it needs to be balanced, if gets balanced. If not...waste of money.
Posted on: 2012/6/21 22:05

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

DB, I thought u were using after market crank replacement, thats y I brought it up . Case by case is true !
Posted on: 2012/6/21 22:22

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

engineholic wrote:
DB, I thought u were using after market crank replacement, thats y I brought it up . Case by case is true !

I say new crank but I guess I should say replacement crank. The one I had was a stock virgin crank we had turned down. It's now too far gone. Machine shop has a nice collection of virgin core cranks and is going to turn me another one for use in this new build. So, technically it's a new crank to me, but it's still an old stock crank that's been turned for a new life in an engine.
Posted on: 2012/6/21 23:40

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

DB, how it coming along ??
Posted on: 2012/7/5 21:15

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

EngineDoctor wrote:
DB, how it coming along ??

Thanks for asking...love the new forum name.

I brought home the engine parts and ordered a few others. A friend from another forum is driving up on the 13th with some head gaskets so until then the best I can hope for is short block.

I did take some steps in that direction yesterday. I got the block painted and prepped. I installed the main bearings, dropped in the crank, checked tolerances, and everything was nice and easy.

Got the mains torqued, cam installed, roller lifters / retainers / spider tray installed, and timing set is on and set.

I am modifying my new timing cover to have an integrated cam button like my last one, and I still have to cut out the divider in the intake manifold.

I'm waiting on the aluminum water pump and a few other things here and there but in the meantime I'll cam-clearance the rods that don't clear and should have the rotating assembly all in and turning smooth by the time Kyle arrives with the head gaskets.

Then it's a full on green light to assemble the engine and get it ready to hoist in.

All in all, I think I am on track to a speedy recovery.
Posted on: 2012/7/6 1:46

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

The short block is assembled. Tolerances were spot on and everything went together perfectly and looks good and ready for when I have gaskets and can keep building upward.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Now that I almost have the timing cover finished I can install it, the oil pan, and balancer. Moving ever closer to long block stage so I can git it back in the car and put it all back together.

Over the weekend I modified the intake by cutting out the divider. I really didn't have much of a choice because of the way that the carb adapter runs the mixture from each carb down into the manifold. I basically had one carb per plane and the air / fuel from each carb wasn't mixing with the other. The carbs were matched, but I think this still complicated things and the divider needed to be removed.

The heavy removal is done and I just need to go in and re-polish everything and remove all the rough edges and burs but I think it'll be very efficient at allowing the mixtures from each carb to mix before dividing up to the runners.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2012/7/10 12:57
Edited by Durango_Boy on 2012/7/10 13:19:08
Edited by Durango_Boy on 2012/7/10 13:22:19
Edited by Durango_Boy on 2012/7/10 13:24:01
Edited by Durango_Boy on 2012/7/10 13:24:42

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I received the new aluminum water pump. I like it and it seems to be of very high quality. I painted it to match my engine and got it mounted. I got the cylinder heads ready to go on, and set in place. I need to go get some head bolt sealant and some intake gaskets for the remainder of the long block. I'll get the heads torqued on, intake cleaned up and mounted...and the engine is ready to go back in the car. I'll put everything else on the engine after it's in.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2012/7/14 17:43

pianoguy Re: Disaster - Engine seized.
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Looks like you're making great progress - hope you have that work of art back together soon!
Posted on: 2012/7/14 18:38

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Thanks for the update and pics. Great recovery story so far.
Posted on: 2012/7/14 20:08

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Thanks, I think given the circumstances this has been a quick recovery and even though I'm not finished yet I feel as though I am on the home stretch.

This morning I got the engine assembled to the point where I'll prime it as I spin it to adjust the rockers.

Resized Image

Basically, as a way I like to do it, I mount a drill to spin the oil pump using the adapter, to pressurize the system. While pressure is maintained, I start adjusting the rockers and rotating, and adjusting, and so forth. I do it this way so the lifters see similar pressure they would see during normal idling and as I turn the crank and move to the next set of lifters I ensure oil is pressurized though all lifters, push rods, and rockers.

After I get the rockers adjusted I'll stab the distributor in where I had it set before and the engine is ready to go in the car. I'll do final parts assembly with the engine in the car. I have busy weekends for most of the next two months but I think I can spare a few hours each weekend to maybe get everything in and finished very soon.
Posted on: 2012/7/15 23:59

Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Looks fantastic!
Posted on: 2012/7/16 22:22

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Looks like it's coming along well!
Posted on: 2012/7/17 1:31

flyboy Re: Disaster - Engine seized.
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Wow, you're a man on a mission. Hopefully the disaster will soon be a distant memory.
Posted on: 2012/7/17 2:11

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Thanks everyone. I have a very small list of things I want to do to the car before the engine goes back in, and time permitting, I may take that step this weekend.

As usual, I'll post some pics.
Posted on: 2012/7/17 20:56

bearcat Re: Disaster - Engine seized.
Guru Newb
West Texas
19 Posts

I am sorry to hear about all of your troubles. But what I would prefer to see in the case of an oil cooler is some really good AN-fittings and hard lines whenever possible. You want to really make it fool proof.

I had an oil cooler on my 427 also, but ended up taking it off because it was cooling my engine too much. I had a really large custom radiator that more than did the job. If you need better cooling, maybe consider a better radiator and forget about the oil cooler. Because what you've experienced is the old rule of thumb that if you increase complexity, you also add another variable that can go wrong.

Anyway, good luck putting your Vette back together.
Posted on: 2012/12/6 0:00
'88 C4 Corvette

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I removed the oil cooler simply because the fan was never on, and the temps...as monitored by the engine temp gauge, never got to an alarming temp. The plan originally was to use it to see if I needed it, and if not it would be removed. That was part of the thought process behind not going full on hard line and fittings. Costs would have been 4 - 5 times what I spent.

Granted, I spent WAY more on this last rebuild, but that really had nothing to do with the way I put it together and everything to do with a lazy shop tech who zipped off my barbs because he was having trouble getting the rubber lines over them. Lazy bastard cost me quite a bit of trouble.

I did use it as an opportunity to change a few things. It's not back in yet because I started planning a rather special EFI endeavor that won't be ready or complete for a while and I left the engine out so I could do things that would be easier with the engine bay open and free.
Posted on: 2012/12/6 3:37

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.