Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
206 user(s) are online (182 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SuperRam Intake System
Originally designed by John Lingenfelter at LPE and manufactured by Accell, the SuperRam was the 1st aftermarket intake to improve upon the stock lon...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Art has a question. 76 Corvette headlights.
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Hi. my name is Art. I live in a suburb of Alb,nm. I own 5 classic cars and my overall best is a red 76 stingray. she has a 383 with a tunnel ram, m22 trans, 413 rear gears, nitrous and the body and interior are stock with the exception of a tail from an 81 corvette. i just like the spoiler. my problem is the engine is built and with the cam i have ( 632 lift ) i have virtually no vacuum, so i am using a exhaust evacuation system and no power brakes. i am looking for an alternative to the vacuum headlights.
Posted on: 2012/6/12 3:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Durango_Boy Re: Art has a question. 76 Corvette headlights.
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I have two solutions for two issues it seems the poster is having.

Headlights - The cheapest way is to separate the headlight vacuum system from the engine. You can keep the connection to the switch and override but instead of sourcing from the engine, use a small vacuum pump to pull from the tank as the source. I've been trying to design something like this on the side for a while. I was thinking of a small 12V vacuum pump and some kind of backwards pressure switch that gets the tank to 12 - 15 Hg and then cuts power...like the switches on air compressors...just backwards.

My thinking is that the pump could be triggered by a relay that comes on with the IGN. Then, the pump only runs until the vacuum in the tank gets above 15 Hg then the switch would cut the ground from the relay so the pump is not running all the time. Then say you use the headlights...the vacuum drops below 12 Hg, and the switch provides ground to the relay, and the pump kicks back on until it's above 15 Hg again.

I just never got far enough to find a switch like that. The pump itself would not need to be expensive since it wouldn't run all the time. The pricey pumps are usually on all the time to compensate for low vacuum engines that cater to things like brakes and vacuum advance distributors.

Now, on to safety...

Brakes - Can you explain a little bit about the statement, "no power brakes"? Does this mean you have converted to manual brakes and can safely stop the car, or are you just pressing as hard as you can on a power brake car with no vacuum in order to stop?

My solution to poor vacuum braking has been a Hydrobooster. I've been putting them in C3s for years now and it's by far the best solution I have ever found.

Essentially, it's a hydraulic power assist unit that uses power steering pressure to assist the brakes instead of engine vacuum. I can help with everything from the unit itself, to the parts to order to make the pressure lines, and step by step installation help through the whole process. All I need is an email address and I have an information file I can send that has pictures and text explaining what it is and how it works to correct bad brakes because of low vacuum.
Posted on: 2012/6/12 12:01

TommyT-Bone Re: Art has a question. 76 Corvette headlights.
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

ttt
Posted on: 2012/6/13 23:38

nmbadboy Re: Art has a question. 76 Corvette headlights.
Guru Newb
southwest us
6 Posts

my answer is yes to both questions. i converted to manual brakes ( no power assist ) and yes you have to put your foot thu the floor at real high speeds. i tried a hydro boost but im turning some pretty high RPM's, at times and when i do i launch the power steering belt. actually i used to launch all the belts. as far as water pump and alternator im using a gilmer set up. and no power steering either.
Posted on: 2012/6/13 23:54

Matatk Re: Art has a question. 76 Corvette headlights.
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Art -

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by an exhaust evacuation system?

Have you considered an external vacuum reserve canister such as this:

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstr ... s/200/270/270-99590-1.pdf

Or perhaps a vacuum pump?

I personally have zero experience with either, I just know I've read about them in the past.

Also, are you brake components up to par? Have you done any changes to the braking system? I know the brakes on my dad's 79 seem adequate, but are far from superior.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/6/14 2:11

Guru Newb
southwest us
6 Posts

Mat I have a system where a fluted 1/2" steel pipe is welded into each header collector at a 45 deg angle. and threaded to it is a one way valve connected to a 5/8 heater hose connected to a oil separator into valve covers. which seem to work pretty well. my set up is made by moroso, there is also a non fluted one made by mr gasket and there are numerous ones on ebay
Posted on: 2012/6/14 3:51

Guru Newb
southwest us
6 Posts

Matt sorry i guess the correct terminology would be crankcase evacuation system
Posted on: 2012/6/14 3:55

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.