Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
225 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

GRIS, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  D44
This references the rear differential.

The D36 was the smaller unit. Used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes after that.

The ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bogus Head Unit Issue....
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

My much loved Alpine 7998 head unit has an issue. The back light on the display panel has died... and Alpine no longer services said head unit.

I found a replacement display (on eBay, in the UK!) for $190.00!!!! That's the price of a cheap head unit, for crying out loud!

My problem is that the system is now 9 years old... and I think it's only the beginning of the end. Once one part fails, another will not be far behind.

In the last few years, Alpine quality has gone to crap. What used to be #1 is no longer there... Eclipse has left the US market, Kenwood isn't bad, but still not great, Clarion was going up, but now they are stagnate at best. Nakamichi isn't in the US, either... don't know what McIntosh is upto.

That leaves one head unit that fits my requirements. The Pioneer DEX-P99RS. This is a serious piece of kit... But it sells for $1200 on Crutchfield.com... ouch... none on ebay yet.

Haven't checked craigslist.

Considering the age of my system, I am going to redo it, now I know I am going to redo it. Before, I was going to keep the Alpine, but not now. I also want iPhone connectivity.

Oh, and another thing, the techs at Alpine customer service are some of the snippiest little peckers... my Lord... They are real quick to jump on minor verbal mistakes, or if you question them to gain more clarity, they get real snarky. I find the undercurrent very unprofessional.

Any thoughts?
Posted on: 2012/7/27 22:04

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Head Unit Issue....
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

I have used Pioneers for over 10 years now with no complaints.
Posted on: 2012/7/28 0:08

bogus Re: Head Unit Issue....
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Their SQ has improved a ton, too.
Posted on: 2012/7/28 4:23

Matatk Re: Head Unit Issue....
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Late 90s is when they really started getting good, that's when I started using them. I was never happy with the quality of the Eclipse unit I had, that's when I moved to them. I still don't think their speakers are very great, but I like the HUs.
Posted on: 2012/7/28 11:26

Ultraman Re: Head Unit Issue....
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14728 Posts

This may be worth glancing at.....plus you can gain 60 hp in your Corvette......

http://car-audio-review.toptenreviews.com/

Posted on: 2012/7/28 12:49

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Thank's Marcus... not quite my area, there... I worry as soon as the reviewer thinks that "JVC is known for making quality product"... JVC is known for making cheap shit.

In fact, that entire top ten list is really the top ten of the bottom feeders... sad, cause it will mislead potential buyers who don't know the score.

In all of the reviews, the key is that your iPod connects easily. Whoo-hoo. What about sound quality? What about nuance? What about amplifier support? How many volts out are the RCA connections?

In short, these are reviews of limited value. I wanted to share that reality, so you knew... and wouldn't put faith in them yourself.

You know Corvettes, and if you saw the pro's and cons listed as:

Pro's: REAL FAST!

Con's: Only 2 seats.

You would see real quick that the review doesn't get it. That's the way it is with this car stereo review. More a comparison of features and not a real test of capability.

Here's a good one:

They blast the Sony Xplode because they "expected more"... but the damned thing is only $90? What more can you expect?

Another:

Pioneer DEH-3200UB -

Pros
The Pioneer DEH-3200UB has front auxiliary input and a USB port.

Cons
It is not compatible with Bluetooth, HD Radio or satellite radio.

The Verdict: 7.45/10

The Pioneer DEH-3200UB is sufficient for now, but it may not hold up in the future.

HA! Without HD or Sat Radio, it doesn't hold up period. Lame.

Sorry... I have a real good ability to read through crap reviews, and those are crap reviews. I hope no one takes them seriously.

Thanks for sharing, I feel horrible for ripping the link you obviously took time to find and share... kinda makes me wanna cry... sniff... but I have to be honest. Otherwise, someone out there might take that as legit.

Read the specs of the Pioneer I want to get:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUS ... age4/CD-Players/DEX-P99RS

This is one serious head unit... copper chassis... 5v RCAs, no internal amp. Just the way I like'm!
Posted on: 2012/7/28 15:22

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Late 90s is when they really started getting good, that's when I started using them. I was never happy with the quality of the Eclipse unit I had, that's when I moved to them. I still don't think their speakers are very great, but I like the HUs.

Back in the late 90s, it was either Alpine or Eclipse for head units. Period. But Eclipse always had a QC issue...

Now, Alpine sucks and Eclipse is out of the market.
Posted on: 2012/7/28 15:23

-=Jeff=- Re: Head Unit Issue....
Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

I feel your pain.. I know I am on borrowed time on my Nakamichi, but I LOVE the look of it.. It has an Aux port that I need to run for use with my phone.

I just don't like the gimmicky looks of most the equipment, I am so out of touch on headunits. When I need a new one I am not sure what I will do..

Posted on: 2012/8/9 1:33
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.