Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
163 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Seats
Both could be power, neither could be.

However, if they are, they should move fore/aft and up down with little more than an electric motor whine....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

vetteblondie Rear convertible glass repair
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4631 Posts

My glass is coming loose in the top, just the bottom 1/3 or so... upholstery people will tell you that it's put in there under extreme pressure conditions at the factory, bla bla bla and that you have to get a new top. Not happenin...
I did find a repair post on CF:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-ge ... ndow-how-to-refasten.html

My question:
I'm not sure about that glue - never heard of it, doesn't really say anything about extreme temps, etc.
Any other adhesive suggestions by Gurus?
I've included photos of the one in the CF thread plus two more that I found that may work, am leaning toward the Loctite in the black and blue container...

Attach file:

jpg  glue1.jpg (140.10 KB)
619_501ac056b6eb6.jpg 741X765 px

jpg  glue3.jpg (136.84 KB)
619_501ac06301f90.jpg 741X645 px

jpg  glue2.jpg (52.23 KB)
619_501ac06f32fdc.jpg 423X875 px
Posted on: 2012/8/2 18:01

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Rear convertible glass repair
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Can you show us a photo of what is coming apart?

I don't know about those glues, but you can emulate pressure, which might be just as important.

What I know about these tops is that the pro's are, for the most part, right. The glass is bound in there under a heated adhesive and then cured under pressure. It really kills leaks and allows a hard material to coexist with the fabric. However, I am not an expert...

What I would do is use a glue that will adhere to glass... First and foremost, if it sticks to that, it will stick to anything. Then use said glue and put some weight on the fix - a plank of wood and a dumbell? 10-20 lbs or so. Just to be sure.
Posted on: 2012/8/2 18:59

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

NelsonV Re: Rear convertible glass repair
Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

Gorilla Glue available at The Home Depot
http://www.gorillatough.com/
My rear window fell out completely. I put it back in with the Gorilla Glue about a year ago and it's holding up just fine.

Follow the instructions closely and use very sparingly. This stuff expands, so be careful. Mine bubbled out a bit on some edges; on others it came out perfect.
Posted on: 2012/8/2 19:19

TommyT-Bone Re: Rear convertible glass repair
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Super glue type prducts to me are too thin a formulation and likely to drip. A thicker mixture seems a better choice. I've heard of Blue Rhino but never used it. Gorilla Glue is a thicker substance and tacky. Care must be exercised during application to avoid contact with surfaces other than the targeted surface. That being said, a close pic would be helpful in suggesting a sealing method. Did you talk with a glass shop? A good glass man might be a better choice. Where there is a will to rig there is a way.
Posted on: 2012/8/2 19:32

vetteblondie Re: Rear convertible glass repair
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4631 Posts

I'm definitely a rigger... That blue and black container of Locktite I have and have used for numerous other things. The flexibility and resistance to temps and impacts are what's attractive to me. I'll try to get a pic when I get home this evening of it and post. And, it's a thicker gel.
Posted on: 2012/8/2 20:53

Resized Image

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4631 Posts

Ok, here's a pic, when the top is on the car, you can't tell it's loose, stays pretty tight really. When I fold the top down for storage is when I noticed it. The seal that connects to the glass is smooth and rubber of some type.

Attach file:

jpg  glass.JPG (370.16 KB)
619_501b2b3ac16e2.jpg 1296X968 px
Posted on: 2012/8/3 1:37

Resized Image

BillH Re: Rear convertible glass repair
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Definately - NOT the blue/black super glue.

I have some Loctite extreme in the shop that's called "Repair Extreme- All Temperature", pretty good, got it at Home D.

The Gorilla worked for Nelson so.....

I'd use 3M Structual Adhesive but I already have it in the shop and it's pricy.
Posted on: 2012/8/3 1:54

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4631 Posts

I just realized when I said the blue/black container that they both were like that. The one I was considering was the 2nd one... the "ultra gel control"....
Posted on: 2012/8/3 2:05

Resized Image

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:
I just realized when I said the blue/black container that they both were like that. The one I was considering was the 2nd one... the "ultra gel control"....

Yea, Letty, that's definately the one you don't want to use.
It just won't hold up.
Posted on: 2012/8/3 2:26

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4631 Posts

Quote:

NelsonV wrote:
My rear window fell out completely. I put it back in with the Gorilla Glue about a year ago and it's holding up just fine.

Follow the instructions closely and use very sparingly. This stuff expands, so be careful. Mine bubbled out a bit on some edges; on others it came out perfect.

That link says that it dries a light tan instead of clear. Can you see that from the inside?
Posted on: 2012/8/3 16:08

Resized Image

NelsonV Re: Rear convertible glass repair
Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:
Quote:

NelsonV wrote:

That link says that it dries a light tan instead of clear. Can you see that from the inside?

In the areas it bubbled out, it's is visible and ugly. I really need to re-do it some day.

Where the glass attaches to the top, there is about 3/8" strip of overlap. The trick is to lay down a thin, narrow bead of the adhesive in this "strip" so that when it expands it won't ooze out of that 3/8" area. Unfortunately, I didn't know this beforehand.

Also, since your window is still partially intact, you should have an easier time than I did. I would recommend practicing with some clear plastic (like some old CD cases) so you can see how the stuff spreads under compression and also how much it expands upon curing.

I highly recommend the product if you think you can lay down a good bead. It has held up (remember my window came completely out) and has not leaked in the year since I applied it.
Posted on: 2012/8/3 19:03

bogus Re: Rear convertible glass repair
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Nelson... you live in Los Angeles. Your top is never up. That's why it hasn't leaked.

Just kidding. It rains here once a year, at least.
Posted on: 2012/8/3 19:39

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Put masking tape on the top & glass where anything will ooze out. That way you can pull it off easier after the stuff dries.
Posted on: 2012/8/3 20:01

j3studio Re: Rear convertible glass repair
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4245 Posts

Best of luck - we'll be watching closely. How many miles on that 'vert?
Posted on: 2012/8/4 0:29

Louis, 2012 Centennial Edition Coupe

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4631 Posts

I think I'm easing up on about 105k now. It's make a Bowling Green trip and a handful to Pensacola and back and one to Nashville since August. Was supposed to go on a Rt. 66 drive this weekend but, well, you know men and their wayward cheating ways.... planning a Pensacola trip again soon though.
With my hand tremors and my recent med change for that, my 'bead' might look more like a zig zag but I'll give it a shot. We get our share of rain season, then drought here, then extreme heat, then snow. The top will stay on and under the carport for the most part. I'd like to get it done this weekend, we'll see how my mood holds up.
Posted on: 2012/8/4 0:54

Resized Image

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4631 Posts

Ok, I chickened out on it, didn't trust myself. One glass shop here had previously told me to get hold of an upholstery shop who told me to get a new top. That's when I started looking through forums for help. I bought the Gorilla glue, then had 40k people telling me from all sides to use Rhino glue, then gorilla then back and forth and made my head hurt. I figure if it holds one in for a year, it should be fine. Well, turns out the shop I work at used to install glass, but no longer do. I didn't know this. When they quit doing it, they sent their business to the glass place across the street. Josh called that man and he came got the car and fixed it for me, no issues. Told me not to take down the top for a couple of days. It's a little thicker than I like in a couple of spots, but I'm okay with it.There's one spot on the passenger side that I might have to put a little more attention to, but he said to give it a week and see. There was no charge.
Posted on: 2012/8/8 21:36

Resized Image

pianoguy Re: Rear convertible glass repair
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Sweeeet! Hope it does the trick!
Posted on: 2012/8/8 22:09

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.