Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
189 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

rklessdriver Very Scary Pass Last Night
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

The love of my life has never been down the track before and I have a friend who talked the track management into allowing me to make an "easy pass" with her in the passenger seat.

True to my word of an easy pass - I held the car at 2500RPM rolled the clutch out until the car bogged and layed into it.... 6000RPM I pulled second.... 6000RPM I pulled third...

And the car instantly went into the revlimiter then turned right at a 45* angle... I held the throttle about 1/2 way and put a little steering correction in the car and checked the far lane to see where the other car was, I was certain I was about to crash into.... Lucky for us he was about 4 cars back.... as soon as it crossed the centerline the car straightend out and I coasted across the line.... Even managed to NOT hit any timing boxes too....

Turns out the guy before me layed a huge patch of coolant down just past the 330ft marker....

It's hard for me to to believe, but I have been Sportsman Drag Racing for over 15yrs now and never had this kind of thing happen before.

Old Dominion is a very narrow track with guard rails within 3ft of the edge of lanes... Not much run off room, things could have quickly went really bad. I figure I was running about 80-85MPH and I'm not sure how well a C4 would hold up in a front end, guard rail collison at that speed.

At least her first pass down the drag strip will be memorable.

Took an hour to clean up the lane and I did manage to attempt one full power pass before they closed but the car blew the tires off at the hit and only went 7.50@96MPH with a 1.92 60ft.
Will
Posted on: 2012/10/18 19:59

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Very Scary Pass Last Night
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I am sure that was scary... but I am sure you have a good cage, and remember, the rail would give...

Thankfully, you didn't have to find out.

I would be a bit pissed that they didn't warn you or do something about the coolant.
Posted on: 2012/10/18 20:49

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

TommyT-Bone Re: Very Scary Pass Last Night
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I would be a bit pissed that they didn't warn you or do something about the coolant.

The warning usually comes with the track closed for cleanup. I don't think they would intentionally let someone run with fluids on the track. Would they? I've seen a C4 and a C5 both take the wall in an 1/8th. It ain't pretty.
Posted on: 2012/10/18 21:14

Ultraman Re: Very Scary Pass Last Night
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14706 Posts

Yikes! Glad everyone is ok.....
Posted on: 2012/10/18 21:46

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

rklessdriver Re: Very Scary Pass Last Night
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Yea they don't intentionally allow passes on a wet race track...

Old Dominion is closing down permanently (land development) after this season and I reckon the officials weren't as diligent about checking the cars during their runs as they normally are... Initially they thought I oiled down the track.

I'm just glad I was able to keep everything in one piece, but it sucks to know you possibly hurt the love of your life and almost totaled your car, playing around on a half ass joy ride down the track.

It was kinda weird on the return road... I was thinking maybe something in the rear end broke... But didn't hear anything banging around, so scratch that....

Then I thought maybe I just dumped coolant or oil everywhere... and that is a real bad feeling.... knowing you just ruined a night of racing for everyone, that feels worse then almost crashing.... I was checking gauges and everything was fine... no odd smell...

Back in my pit box we looked the car over and I was relieved to find nothing wrong.

Next week is the last race ever at Old Dominion Dragway and at least I'll be able to race. Provided the weather cooperates maybe I'll finally get that 6.90 time slip.
Will
Posted on: 2012/10/18 22:21

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

EngineDoctor Re: Very Scary Pass Last Night
Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Wow ! I'm glad you two are okay.
Posted on: 2012/10/18 23:06

Matatk Re: Very Scary Pass Last Night
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

That's crazy! Glad you were able to save it and no one was hurt.
Posted on: 2012/10/18 23:38

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.