Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
230 user(s) are online (197 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Aluminum Powerglide
Automatic Transmission - 2 Speed

1st Gear: 1.76/1.82
2nd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1962 thru 1972.
- 14 Bolt Pan.
- Vac...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

interpilot New to Guru Forum'
Guru Newb
st. paul, minnesota
42 Posts

I finally decided to seek out a new Corvette hang-out, after 10 yrs. as Senior member on that other Forum. Without going into to much detail, I found the commercial interests outweighing the interests of real Corvette Owners. 'Glad to be here'!

I currently run an 86 C4, I have owned since the mid 90's. I got re-hooked on AutoCross when one of my chief mechanics got me racing again around 1999' .. it became an addiction. In 2001 & 2002 we did some time trials in the desert. And man did I learn a lot about my old Vette and driving.

An example: I went into a slalom and lost brakes at 104'mph. Luckily into desert sand sideways & half backwards. The culprit was simple: Heat blew the top of brake master right off. Anyway lots of stories' .. look forward to hearing some 'whoppers' .. Currently my interest's are in under'car aero-improvements. as engine is 355ci. Trick-Flow. About as much motor as I can almost-control.
Having just moved back home to Minnesota after 35 years in SoCal. I have a nice garage to work on projects over the long winter. 'Best_'S'

Attach file:

jpg  Gymkhana#70.jpg (512.55 KB)
10469_508ade57a637c.jpg 1024X601 px

jpg  Gymkhana#70.jpg (512.55 KB)
10469_508adeb76af97.jpg 1024X601 px
Posted on: 2012/10/26 19:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

interpilot Re: New to Guru Forum'
Guru Newb
st. paul, minnesota
42 Posts

No, you are not seeing double' .. Sorry I posted pic' twice. I meant to post pic' of my rolling circus cross country trip from Cali. to Minnesota (2,200mi.) Amazing when you try and put your entire life into an SUV & Corvette!

Everything was over-loaded. I had a 350lb. mattress on hood of Corvette. I remember pulling into hotel late night in Tucumcari NM. on 'Route 66' .. Lady walked up and said: "Thats no way to treat a Corvette". I said yes, you are are right .. But I didn't leave her behind.

Somehow I made it' .. !

Attach file:

jpg  Rolling Circus.jpg (690.96 KB)
10469_508af0ba2de40.jpg 1022X661 px
Posted on: 2012/10/26 20:21

TommyT-Bone Re: New to Guru Forum'
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33758 Posts

Welcome to the show.

Enjoy the ride.

_____________ ____________
Posted on: 2012/10/26 21:32

Matatk Re: New to Guru Forum'
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you aboard and look forward to hearing some good stories. We have a daily chat every morning and look forward to you contributing. You will also see many familiar names here, so I'm sure you'll be right at home.

Check out our tech section for any questions or problems. Best thing about moving to Minnesota from California (it's not the snow) is no smog or CARB requirements!

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/10/26 22:01

pianoguy Re: New to Guru Forum'
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Welcome to sunny Minnesota ;-)
Posted on: 2012/10/26 22:04

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Guru Newb
st. paul, minnesota
42 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Welcome to sunny Minnesota ;-)

Thanks so much! so where is the sun? My girlfriend just came home with new present for me .. 'An ice scraper'. There is a huge difference between Cali. girls & Minn. girls. My X in Cali. raced my Vette, luckily we put a National Champion instructor incar with her. I keep trying to get my Minn. girl in Vette, she won't ride in it' .. I even promised not to scare her 'Much'?
Posted on: 2012/10/26 22:55

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I think they wrote a song about that..... "I wish they all could be California girls"
Posted on: 2012/10/26 23:37

Guru Newb
st. paul, minnesota
42 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I think they wrote a song about that..... "I wish they all could be California girls"

Ya' I recognize that tune, I use to live close to Mike Love in Santa Barbara, small local group called 'Beach Boys' .. Now I prefer: "All my x's live in Texas, thats why I hang my hat in Tennessee" HaHa!!
Posted on: 2012/10/26 23:49

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Then you'll like our "music minutes" posts where we highlight/showcase different artists or styles in the off topic section.
Posted on: 2012/10/27 0:36

bogus Re: New to Guru Forum'
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Hey, welcome!! Great to have old faces over here!

I don't blame you for leaving CF... It's so corporate. I see it like this. We are the "local" place, the joint with that special cheese burger or the sauce on the sammich that makes you cry cause its so damned good; whereas CF is the chain place and everything they offer is ok, but where is the emotion? Where is the passion? Oh, wait, they haven't had a corporate retreat to find that yet...

As for brakes... time to visit Wilwood and spend some money, dude!!! Or hit up one of the Porsche recyclers for some 4 piston Brembos on the not so expensive. I know there are some folks who have made brackets. You more then likely will need bigger wheels!

Posted on: 2012/10/27 0:43

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Guru Newb
st. paul, minnesota
42 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Hey, welcome!! Great to have old faces over here!

I don't blame you for leaving CF... It's so corporate. I see it like this. We are the "local" place, the joint with that special cheese burger or the sauce on the sammich that makes you cry cause its so damned good; whereas CF is the chain place and everything they offer is ok, but where is the emotion? Where is the passion? Oh, wait, they haven't had a corporate retreat to find that yet...

As for brakes... time to visit Wilwood and spend some money, dude!!! Or hit up one of the Porsche recyclers for some 4 piston Brembos on the not so expensive. I know there are some folks who have made brackets. You more then likely will need bigger wheels!

Thank you Bogus .. I am still serving out my 2mo. ban on other site for posting. Cruizer' telling new C4 owners stock C4 brakes just fine. Drilled rotors not necessary for street applications.

When I first got my C4, I almost ran over my mechanic when brakes failed to stop car. Needless to say, he was not amused. As 350lb. Black Belt, I didn't argue.

I now have drilled rotors, Earl stainless braided lines, Hawk pads front, rear brakes from John Lingenfelter 'RIP' ..

As for those other guys .. When commercial interests supersede our interests, and our safety! Then it is 'See Ya, wouldn't want to be Ya'
Posted on: 2012/10/27 1:06

bogus Re: New to Guru Forum'
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am not a fan of drilled rotors... they are failure points. I use stoptech slotted with Hawk pads and Goodrich lines.

Was Cruizer a vendor? Or a member? And why would disagreeing with a member cause you issue?

As for C4 brakes? Meh. They have no heat vents, they are prone to splaying apart from heat when really pushed and I am sure that's why your's blew off. When they get hot, the top of the rotor gets soft, the pressure of the pads then opens things up. Do that a few times, and things break. Literally.

One thing I learned about CF, they don't care about your opinion. It is your opinion, your moral compass, what have you, that will get your ass banned.

I was banned for civil disobedience. I refused to cow-tow to their mantra, and what made matters worse, when CF was sold, the admin became little neo-nazi's... overnight. Troy was no longer there to check and balance things.

I remember that one of the admin sent me this cryptic message with snips of posts, outlining my "bad behaviour" and justifying my permanent ban. This was after 7 years and 40k post, 30k of which were technical of nature designed to help the members. Hell, I still get emails from CF members asking me about something I posted in 2005. I was banned in 2007. No warnings, no weeks vacation, just perma-ban.

Assholes.

oh, yes, you can use "adult language" language, as long as you keep it PG13 or so. And you can criticize anything as long as its legit.
Posted on: 2012/10/27 1:25

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Guru Newb
st. paul, minnesota
42 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you aboard and look forward to hearing some good stories. We have a daily chat every morning and look forward to you contributing. You will also see many familiar names here, so I'm sure you'll be right at home.

Check out our tech section for any questions or problems. Best thing about moving to Minnesota from California (it's not the snow) is no smog or CARB requirements!

Matthew

That sounds great, I will look forward to it' .. Are you in the off-topic forum section? I have already seen some members here who I recognize from previous forums & events. Here is Tech. at Santa Barbara Porsche Club event. For the record: I did take 1st. in X class, 55 cars. Video's from event are on YouTube, 'interpilot' : http://youtu.be/KEwUcOOLTCo

I have tons of video I shot over 10yrs. much of which I have archived and never even watched. Hopefully I will get my work station up and running, and do some editing over winter months' .. Yes, smog in Ca. was always a costly proposition for me, as my car did not come close to passing!

There are many good things about Minnesota, just picked up a 'fresh duck' for dinner!! Next week Venison' .. 'Best'

Attach file:

jpg  Tech1.jpg (156.44 KB)
10469_508dc8e1dafd3.jpg 604X284 px
Posted on: 2012/10/29 0:08

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.