Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
134 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  1983
The year with no Corvette production. There is only one surviving 1983 Corvette. The one 1983 Corvette is in the National Corvette Museum, (NCM), in ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Notorious What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Having been a licensed driver for over 37 years, I've owned a lot of cars. I doubt that even if I wanted to make a list, that I could remember them all. But of course there are some that stand out for any number of reasons. Most of these go back many years. There's nothing like nostalgia!
1963 Ford Galaxie 500 XL convertible with a 390 and factory 4-speed.
White with a black interior and black top. At 4000+ lbs. it was no screamer but an awesome cruiser and very reliable driver. I owned it for five years and have always regretted trading it even in 1979 for a nice '73 340 Charger that was also a nice car.

1967 Fairlane with a 390 and C6. I "stole" this one from our local Pontiac dealer for $400 when it was only six years old. It smoked like hell but I checked it out and then bought it. A $6 modulator valve cured the smoking problem. It was by far the fastest car I'd owned to that point.

1967 Dodge Charger with a 383 Magnum and 727 Torqueflite. Another pretty quick car that I bought from a used car lot for $300 in late '75. My son, who was born in May of 1976, took his first car ride, coming home from the hospital in that car. I love the first Chargers ('66 and '67) and never liked any of the subsequent ones as well. The interiors in these cars were awesome, having a full length console and four bucket seats! Mine was white with a red interior.

This one didn't even occur to me until now and though I'd have no use for it in the world, it'd be fun to have it sitting around. Back in the early '80s, I got seriously addicted to oval track racing. The first season I bought a built car and raced it. But the winter following I decided to build my own. It was a '73 Torino into which I installed a full cage as well as full tubing to the front and rear, reinforced the frame, made all legal chassis modifications and installed the 351 Cleveland engine from Hell! With but a few rare exceptions, I raced it mainly on dirt tracks. When I could get it hooked up, it could run with anything. I left all of the 350 Chevys in my wake going down the straights when I could get bite off of the corners.

My '67 Mustang fastback. The '67 fastback is still, IMO, the most beautiful Mustang ever made. It was your basic 200HP 289 2V automatic when I bought it. I installed a 9" rear and a 410 cube FE engine (390 with a 428 crank) and a C6 automatic behind it. Yes, it was fun....
Posted on: 2008/1/15 0:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

RollaMo-LT4 RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

1969 Camaro SS
350 4 Speed

The car I had when we got married. We traded that car in for a brand new 1975 Camaro. Gawd, if I only new.
Posted on: 2008/1/15 0:24

SpectatorRacing RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

1992 Taurus SHO.

I loved that car, and it was my first track car. I drove it waaaaay past its ability to handle the abuse. I had sunk thousands into suspension, brakes, and bolt on engine mods, but after 7 (yes, SEVEN) clutches I bought a Mustang.

I traded it in on a Jeep in 1996 for $2800. I would pay double to have that thing now, it was a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/1/15 1:24

pianoguy RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

If only a guy knew - I had a friend who used to buy '57 Chevy's for $25 to run them in the demolition derby

There's a few I'd like to have back. I had a '65 Olds Starfire - awesome car with a 425 and a carburetor the size of Rhode Island. It got 6.8 miles per gallon, and could burn the tires all day long. The '67 GTO was a tank - no power steering or brakes, but it was fun in a straight line. Had a '69, '70 and '73 Grand Prix - the '70 was my favorite, but the 455 Super Duty in the '73 was an amazing engine. Had a '74 Firebird Formula - that was a fun car, handled like a dream. And I had a '74 Ford van that I converted - we had a great time with that. After the 70's it was all downhill for a long time - cars were pretty sucky. A recent favorite was my '97 Lincoln Mark VIII - loved that car, but it was nickel-and-diming me to death. I remember test-driving a couple that I wish I had bought - a mint '69 GTO Judge, loaded (for something like $2100) and a brand-new '74 Firebird Formula 455. But who could afford $5000? :tongue:

For as much as I've loved cars over the years, I was never very good about taking pictures of them. I did dig up a few:

Here's the '70 Grand Prix, on my wedding day back in '76:

http://bradprestonmusic.com/Photos/70GrandPrix.jpg

a "before" picture of the van (it was a Mister Donut truck - lmao):

http://bradprestonmusic.com/Photos/74FordVanB4.jpg

an "after" picture of the van (before the chrome side-pipes ):

http://bradprestonmusic.com/Photos/74FordVanAfter.jpg

and the Lincoln:

http://webpages.charter.net/bradpreston/Lincoln.jpg
Posted on: 2008/1/15 2:12

cuisinartvette RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

A couple..

My favorite was my first car, a 1967 Camaro rs
Had a 11:1 327, Isky 280, Rockcrusher...Sat on the ground, cowl hood and rear tailight panel flat balcked, rest was charcoal primer. 15x8 Minilites and Centerlines, loved that car!!

1969 RS/SS-Super reliable cruiser

1970 Z/28, frame off resto . Great running motor that LT-1 was

1968 Cevelle SS Clone. Featured in Hot Rod Magazine in 91. M-22, 396 built balls to the wall. Big fast tank. Nice, but not too sure Id want it back.

1986 Mustang GT Super reliable fun to drive car, never let me down. Got stolen and a federale in Mexico was driving it for 4 yrs before the detective lost track of it . Oh, to be young and uninsured...

Had an 85 GT with a 460 on juice , Gorgeous car but dont miss it. Death trap.

88 Toyota P/U. Great beater, couldnt kill that thing.
Sometimes miss the 73 Stingray and the 89 Vette, but selling them was for the best at the time.

THe rest of the 35+ cars I had were a complete waste of money.
Posted on: 2008/1/15 2:27

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I just made myself sick. For grins, I searched for a '65 Olds Starfire on eBay - found a 'vert for "only" $27,999. Mine was a coupe - I paid about $400 for it.
Posted on: 2008/1/15 2:45

Qack RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

My college graduation car -- a brand new, red (of course) 1967 Corvette roadster with a 4-speed Muncie gearbox and a red interior.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/1/15 2:46

Qack RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

I had to list the '67 roadster separately as that is the one car I REALLY wish I had kept. I also miss my 1953 MG-TD, 1954 MG-TF (body off restoration), 1955 MG-A, 1958 Corvette, 1959 MG-A. 1959 Bug-Eye Sprite and 1984 Corvette.

I absolutely do not miss my 1970 International Travelall, my 1975 Plymouth Valiant or my 1977 Chevette -- especially the Chevette!
Posted on: 2008/1/15 2:58

Touringmike RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Senior Guru
Sussex,Wi
569 Posts

3 come to mind immediately.
I posted pics of them here;
http://www.c4guru.com/modules.php?nam ... amp;t=1778&highlight=

#1 on the list, 1962 Pontiac Grand Prix bought in 1969. 2dr,389,4 spd fully synchronised T10 - first year for that, bucket seats, console with a tachometer, 8 bolt rims that bolted to a cast wheel hub,(3)2 bbl set-up in the trunk-didn't work correctly, put a 4 bbl on.

#2 on the list, 1967 SS396 Chevelle bought in 1972, 4 spd, .410 gears (factory).

#3 would be the '76 Stingray bought in 1990. It was a nice car. Family problems caused that sale, I regret selling that one the most, but my top favorites remain as listed, because they were somewhat rare, especially the GP.
Posted on: 2008/1/15 3:35

Touringmike RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Senior Guru
Sussex,Wi
569 Posts

Quote:
1977 Chevette -- especially the Chevette!

A friend of mine couldn't even sell his.

He drove it into a light standard in a Kmart parking lot, totaled it, then reported it stolen.

After subtracting the deductable from the ins. payout, he OWED the insurance Co. money.

Hahahahahahahahaha.
Posted on: 2008/1/15 3:38

joeld RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Had not thought of these in a while: 1952 chevy club coupe with 327,3 soeed in floor and olds rear end in high school. then a 1964 Impala SS 327 4 speed, red with white int. A couple of 55's with good strong 327's and 4 speed. In 1972 bought 1st vette: 1967 vert, big block and 4 speed. Sold to buy new 1974 GP. Got married and that stopped toys for a while. Mid 70's got a 1967 Chevelle SS 396 auto., gold with gold int. What a nice car that was. 1982 bought a 1968 C3 vert 327, 4 speed. Still have it. But my favorite is still the 1989 coupe I have now. There were more, but enough of my rambling.

Joel
Posted on: 2008/1/15 3:54

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
1977 Chevette -- especially the Chevette!

A friend of mine couldn't even sell his.

He drove it into a light standard in a Kmart parking lot, totaled it, then reported it stolen.

After subtracting the deductable from the ins. payout, he OWED the insurance Co. money.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

I had to rent one of those one time on business - I swear I could have gotten out and run faster than that dog!
Posted on: 2008/1/15 3:56

Klaus RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

In 1980 I owned a 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1. It was silver with black stripes. It came with a 302 and a 3 speed. I built and installed a 429 Cobra Jet with a C6 automatic.

Keep in mind this was 1980. New cars were no challenge at all. I was a true terror on the road with that car.
Posted on: 2008/1/15 4:04

2008 Machine Silver Coupe
LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP

Ramrod RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

A 1959 Triumph TR-3, I stripped that thing down a few times and painted it 3 or 4 colors. I bought it for $50.00 in 1969 or so.
Posted on: 2008/1/15 4:40

tobijohn RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

I'm coming from the opposite end of the spectrum. Until I bought my first C4 (an 88 coupe the summer of 89), it was one hand-me-down bucket of bolts or beater POS after another. The only one that might remotely have been a keeper was a 1963 Triumph TR-4 convertible but it was a mess when I got it too. Let's see: my first car was a 1964 Chevy Bel Air station wagon that my father traded some dental work for. A few months later I slid through a stop sign and creamed a guy who was driving his brand new Buick home from the dealership (He was a bit miffed, to say the least). That was followed by 1967 Rambler American from my grandmother who was moving up to a Nova (the tranny went out on that one and although I installed another from a salvage yard, I never could get it to run again). Then came a 1970 Olds Vistacruiser station wagon from the parents (rear axle broke, left it in shopping center parking lot for a few months and then one day, it wasn't there anymore), then the Triumph (which made left turns all by itself because the frame was rusted completely through just behind the drivers side front suspension). I had big plans for the 1969 Chevy panel van which followed but instead, it sat rusting on the side of the house for a year or so, bringing the neighborhood property values way down. Then a 1972 VW bug which even if it had heat, didn't (had to use the ice scraper on the inside of the windshield). And the last junker was a 74 Pinto which everyone called the Flintstone-mobile because the floor panels were completely rusted through (for all I know, it still might be parked in front of the apartment I moved out of in
1987). Not one of those cars was less than ten years old when I got my hands on it and a couple were considerably more. Some were pretty dependable but most were an adventure...
Posted on: 2008/1/15 21:18

AIRFOIL FREE!

90EXPVette RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Senior Guru
Martinez, Georgia
185 Posts

Probably the 1980 MGB I had...no power but that was a fun little car.
Posted on: 2008/1/15 22:48

C4DERF RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Senior Guru
Home of the Masters; well Grovetown is close
332 Posts

Well there was the 67 rs camaro verte w/327 4sd. An awesome car for a senior in hs in 69! My dad sold chevys, olds, buicks & opels he got for us when we lived in the Canal Zone eons ago it seems now.

And my 73 chevelle malibu classic 350 turbo 350 auto rebuilt motor with 10.5:1 compression with as I recall an L82 cam hooker headers and bullet mufflers exiting the dual exhaust from the ss location. Oh yea it had an edelbrock tarantula hi-rise with a 750 quad jet and other goodies. Friend of mine was a state patrolman back then and he clocked me at 138 before I backed it down.
Posted on: 2008/1/15 22:54

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/c4derf/CasualCorvettes-SonicAug07011.jpg[/IMG]

Notorious RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Here's one I forgot earlier. In the early 80s I acquired a very nice, all original '56 Plymouth Plaza business coupe. It was light pastel green with matching interior, very 50s! Being a business coupe, it had no back seat. The rear area, sans seat, was fully upholstered. And the spare tire was also mounted in the rear seat area, with a cover that matched the interior. It had 51,000 original miles and ran like a top. It had a flathead inline six with a 2-speed Powerflite push-button automatic. (first year for the push-button cars) Surprisingly, although not much off the line, it was pretty peppy once it got going and it had good passing power. Unfortunately I owned it during the time that my oval track racing disease was in full force. Someone offered me about three times what I had in it and I let it go. All I could see was $$$ for racing! Damn that car was cool. There's nothing quite like an old, all original and unmolested car sometimes.
Posted on: 2008/1/15 23:48

TommyT-Bone RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

My first car was a 63 Galaxie 500 XL 4 door factory 4 speed with a 352 motor. Black on red. That thing had a couch for a back seat. I had it 6 months before I had a drivers license. Sssshhh. I used to borrow my sisters tag and take it for a ride every now and then. I wrecked it on some black ice doing about 75 miles an hour in third gear doing 360's down US 1 in Dedham Mass. Took out the rear clip on a guard rail and smashed though a retainer stopping about 15 feet from the Charles River. Paid $500 for the car and would have cost $500 to repair it. Ended up selling it for parts. It was fun while it lasted. More to come later......
Posted on: 2008/1/16 0:46

Notorious RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
My first car was a 63 Galaxie 500 XL 4 door factory 4 speed with a 352 motor. Black on red. That thing had a couch for a back seat. I had it 6 months before I had a drivers license. Sssshhh. I used to borrow my sisters tag and take it for a ride every now and then. I wrecked it on some black ice doing about 75 miles an hour in third gear doing 360's down US 1 in Dedham Mass. Took out the rear clip on a guard rail and smashed though a retainer stopping about 15 feet from the Charles River. Paid $500 for the car and would have cost $500 to repair it. Ended up selling it for parts. It was fun while it lasted. More to come later......

That's weird. I once had a '63 XL 4-door hard top with a 390 and a factory 4-speed. A 352 4-speed 4-door is even stranger. I purchased mine from the family that bought it new so it's verified. There just couldn't have been too many 4-door 4-speeds made. It's not the kind of thing a dealer would have ordered for stock!
On a side note, the '63 XL rag top that I mentioned in the first post was also purchased from folks I knew and who were the original owners. For some reason that I'll never understand, it was ordered with 2.73 gears with the 4 speed. The mechanic who serviced the car in it's early life was also a friend of mine. He told me that he put five clutches in it within the first 50K miles or so. Gee, I wonder why? After I bought it, I installed the proper 3.50 rear end for a manual car. Needless to say, I never had any clutch problems with it.
BTW, were those XL interiors absolutely gorgeous or what?
Posted on: 2008/1/16 1:07

94z07 RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Guru
94 Posts

I miss my old SAAB 900 Turbo because of how much stuff it could carry when the rear seats were folded down. Too bad that in order to sell more cars SAAB had to change a perfect body design.
Posted on: 2008/1/16 2:00

81c3 RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Senior Guru
Colorado
143 Posts

1968 AMX 343/ automatic
1979 Z28 350/ automatic
1972 Mustang fastback 302/automatic
1972 El Camino SS 350/automatic
1971 Firbird 350 (ponhco) automatic
1975 Formula Firebird 400/automatic
Posted on: 2008/1/28 0:51

Bigdreams65 RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Guru Newb
Douglassville, PA
15 Posts

my first car...mid 70's Ford Rancharo GT... man that was fun..

My 1969 GTO... Bad ASS period...

My 1990 Chevy C10 deluxe.... Monter truck when I was done...

and last but not least.. My dads, 1963 Vette...
Posted on: 2008/2/2 22:38

mopower RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Guru Newb
angier nc
4 Posts

1973 dodge charger 400 auto/3.23 gear(first car)
1970 dodge charger r/t 440 4speed 4.10 dana(added a six pack,cam and headers)a nasty street ride
1968 dodge charger r/t 440 auto
1966 charger 383 auto
1972 chevy nova 383 stroker
1968 chrysler 300 440 auto
cars i don't miss:
76 pontiac astre wagon
80 chevy impala 305 2bbl
81 vw rabbit
cars I miss but can't explain:
70 maverick 6cyl 3spd
75 vega 4spd
96 ford probe gt
car I still have:
1970 dodge polara 4dr 496 stroker auto 3.55 gears wanna play...
Posted on: 2008/2/3 17:57

BlkCpe RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Guru Newb
Georgia
23 Posts

Miss- 84 z28 5.0 HO 358ci alm heads all the goodys 5spd very fast 80 Trans AM real turd in the performance dept but very reliable transpotation 87 z28 stone stock best damn car period.Wife drove it to collage for 6 years then I beat on it for a few more years 240k miles total. Don't miss...don't remember...
Posted on: 2008/2/4 0:00

cmashark RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Guru
virginia beach, va
74 Posts

the one car i wish i could have back was my first vette. in 99, i had a 76 vette that i did a frame off resto-mod. i put an ecklers tilt front end on it, some ZL1 rear quarters, and a set of custom rims on it from wheel vintiques. it had no a/c and manual streering with power windows....i painted it poppy red with dupont chromabase. it was beautiful and a blast to cruise in. i sold it for 8500 and 2 years later, i tried to buy it back. even after going as high as 14000, the guy still wouldn't let it go! what kills me is that he never did anything to it and probably only drove it 500 miles! he still has it, but i have come to accept that the only way i will ever get it back is to build another one.

chris :sad7:
Posted on: 2008/2/6 4:00

MK 82 RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

My dad bought a 56 chevy new. I think it was the only new car he bought.

It had the 265 with two Carter 4 barrels. One of the first chevy V8s. He sold it about the time I started driving. Probably a good idea.

I would love to have it today.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 4:06

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:
My dad bought a 56 chevy new. I think it was the only new car he bought.

It had the 265 with two Carter 4 barrels. One of the first chevy V8s. He sold it about the time I started driving. Probably a good idea. I would love to have it today.

That would be a beauty, indeed. Probably get about 6 mpg, too :thumbright:
Posted on: 2008/2/6 4:10

teebee RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12351 Posts

I miss most my 64 Dodge Polara 500. It was a factory demonstrator (also called an executive car). I bought it from the original owner, my mom's 2nd cousin. It had 383 hipef, torqueflite, PS, PB, AC, AM/FM w/factory reverb, Mag 500 (true magnesium) wheels, Silver with Black vinyl top, Black interior Bucket seats and console floor shift (as opposed to the push button on the dash).

I loved that car, but I ended up selling it to a local kid and bought my first Corvette a 1964 coupe. I sold it to the kid with the understanding that if he decided to sell it I would have first chance. Well I never got the chance, his brother (a dope head) took it out one night and he wrapped it around a utility pole. It made me sick.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 4:26

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

movnviolation RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

63 Ford Galaxie fastback 390 bought new
66 Chevelle SS 396 4 spd bought new
67 Mustang 390 4 spd bought used
Two 56 Ford pick-ups
66 T-bird
Posted on: 2008/2/6 5:30

Shadow RE:What cars from your past do you wish you still had?
Senior Guru
271 Posts

63 Impala SS (1st car).
69 Camaro
71 Super Bee 383
74 FJ40 Landcruiser
Posted on: 2008/2/6 5:35

The CF Artist fka: STREETKNIGHT..R.I.P.

www.CorvetteFlorida.com

www.CorvetteInternational.com

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.