Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
248 user(s) are online (200 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Windows in the C4
Both should move up and down, quietly and reasonably fast.

If a window does not work, this most likely means a bad motor, but check the fuse pane...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

MikeB52 ZF6 Tranny clutch/gears!
Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and just bought myself a 1994 Vette with a ZF6 tranny in it (from what I'm told anyway). The transmission is stock and this is what i was told they came with. I was also told that these transmissions are very hard to find parts for. I just so happen to work at a machine shop that cuts gears. So does anyone happen to have prints or specs or maybe even samples i could see?

Also, the car needs a new clutch and flywheel. I want to get away from the dual mass setup. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Mike
Posted on: 2013/1/30 1:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: ZF6 Tranny clutch/gears!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Welcome to the site!

If it is stock, then yes it is a ZF6. Not sure what parts you are looking for exactly. There are parts available depending on what you need. The expert in the ZF is Bill Boudreau at ZFDoc.com.

As far as changing the clutch/flywheel, there are a few aftermarket options out there. No stock dmfs exist from GM anymore. Some guys with manuals who have more experience than me can chime in on their choices. What is your intended usage of the car?

Matthew
Posted on: 2013/1/30 3:18

bogus Re: ZF6 Tranny clutch/gears!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

welcome, Mike!

I will be the first to suggest not messing with the internals of a ZF6... they are scary complex and not very user friendly.

They require a special fixture to hold the gear set whilst its being worked on, and then some (not sure how many) require that the shaft be iced and the gear heated (HOT!) to do the press fit.

And then there are all the springs, detents and ball bearings that make the shift rail work... lotsa little fine tuned German parts.

Also, the 1994 was the first full year where the ZF6 was made in the US, and this so-called "Blue Tag" isn't nearly as stout as the German made "Black Tag" unit. They had complaints about the gear whine, so they quieted it... and that killed the strength.

Check www.zfdoc.com for more details. He is THE expert on these boxes. He literally blue prints them. Figure $3500 for a Bill Rebuild. IIRC, Rockland Standard Gear is the US parts supply for these transmissions.

If you want to ditch the DMFW, easy, really... get a standard Camaro flywheel, cut it down .090, then match balance it with the DMFW and install using a Camaro friction disk and Corvette pressure plate.

Since you are a machinist, I will assume you know match balancing.

NAPA has a great hydraulic slave cylinder. Made in Taiwan, it is a one piece casting. VERY good part! I have put 10k miles on mine and have no leakage AT ALL. Wonderful.

Finally, I am sold on Amsoil Syncromesh oil for the transmission. This is sweet stuff!

If you don't already have it, get the Factory Service Manual. Several are now available on CD or DVD on eBay for cheap.
Posted on: 2013/1/30 3:19

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

MikeB52 Re: ZF6 Tranny clutch/gears!
Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

First off, thank you for your info! I have heard that the difference between the two is that the blue labels have angle cut gears vs the straight cut of the black label. Does anyone happen to know if you could put straight cut gears in a blue label to make it into a black label, essentially?

Also, i wouldn't even think of messing around doing any sort of work to the tranny myself. I've heard horror stories about do-it-yourselfers attpting this tranny. I just wanted the blue prints forth gears so that i can make them myself rather than buy them as I've heard they're quite expensive.

I don't plan on racing this car, maybe just some bolt on power adders, maybe eventually a motor but who knows!

Thanks again guys!
Posted on: 2013/1/30 15:19

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

first off, yes, a blue tag can be made as stout as a black tag.

in reference to 4th gear, well, that's interesting... but it's a direct link - 1:1 - no gear!

Posted on: 2013/1/30 16:21

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Woops it was supposed to be "for the" not "fourth"
Posted on: 2013/1/30 17:26

Matatk Re: ZF6 Tranny clutch/gears!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

The trans itself is very reliable. As far as a rebuild, you can still find NOS unused zf6 transmissions on ebay for cheaper than the cost of a rebuild.
Posted on: 2013/1/30 17:32

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The NOS 6spds are all Blue Tags... GM unloaded them about 2006 or so.

A used Black Tag can cost as much, or more, than a new Blue Tag.

Here is the why:

The Black Tag was good for a rated 450hp. Sure. More like 650hp.

The Blue Tag was good for a rated 400hp. Sure. More like 425hp! It's not that bad, but it sure isn't nearly as good as the Black Tag version.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 20:53

BrianCunningham Re: ZF6 Tranny clutch/gears!
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

yes, pretty strong transmission

I'd contact ZFdoc

you're going to wind up spending a lot of $$$ to custom make gears for it.
Posted on: 2013/1/30 23:37

jonszr1 Re: ZF6 Tranny clutch/gears!
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

bill has done the trannys on both my zr1s and they shift so smooth .he also has a short throw shifter that to me is way better than the hurst
Posted on: 2013/1/31 0:20
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Well it wouldn't cost me anything to make the gears other than the slugs of material, thats if theres none laying around the shop i work in. I have the gear hobs and machines at my disposal. I would just need a print or samples.

The tranny in my car isn't bad at all, i was just thinking for future use, i may as well make some gears while i have the opportunity and save myself some coin. When it comes time to rebuild it, I'll have the gears rem poliahed and send the tranny and gears to bill.

Thanks all!
Posted on: 2013/1/31 2:17

rklessdriver Re: ZF6 Tranny clutch/gears!
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Really the gears themselves are not a horrid weak point in either ZF.

The shafts are. I'd also look at the bearing support in the case.... Of course scyro's are a real weak point.

Those 3 things are ALWAYS the big weak points in any single cluster production gear box.

You could make the gears themselves stronger but the shafts and the case would still flex and break the new gears. The scryo's would still suck for shifting fast...

Now a ZF6 with a main shaft and cluster shaft made of 300M then have the gears face plated... That would be one bad mofo.... as far as production based tranny's go anyway.

A little off topic but - IF you look inside a real high HP drag racing manual transmission... The Liberty Equalizer... dual cluster shafts and the main shaft floats between them, supported on both ends... 3 brg suppotsed shafts... That is the way all manual trannys should be built.
Will

Posted on: 2013/1/31 14:25

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

CentralCoaster Re: ZF6 Tranny clutch/gears!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:

I don't plan on racing this car, maybe just some bolt on power adders, maybe eventually a motor but who knows!

I think you just answered your question right there. If you have a lot of time to kill you can come over and fix my motorcycle instead.

BTW, both units have helical cut gears. The early units are just less so. Would be stupid not to. Helical cut assures that more teeth are engaged at any given time. This actually spreads the load out across multiple teeth, albeit increasing the overall load, part of which is increased thrust loads.

Personally I think this whole black/blue thing is overhyped. I've had both in my car and they are both equally noisy at idle without a dual mass flywheel.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2013/2/1 5:15

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

This info might be useful.. this guy used to rebuild a lot of these units...

"ZF Industries put a very conservative capacity rating on both the 610Nm and 540Nm rated S6-40s.

The 540Nm (400 lbs ft) version will easily handle up to 600 lbs ft of torque if built correctly.

The 610Nm (450 lbs ft) version will easily handle up to 800 lbs ft of torque if built correctly.

The only setup that may break the 540Nm transmission is putting a 150 straight shot No2 system on a 450 rwhp naturally aspirated motor where the No2 is not progressively (computer transitioned) introduced but just slams the extra 150 hp into the system.

The weak point is how the 540Nm unit’s synchronizer clutch body is affixed to the 2nd speed gear.

It is spline-fit and crush-crimped into position where as the older 610Nm unit’s 2nd gear synchronizer clutch body is welded into place. All of the 610Nm synchronizer clutch bodies are welded into place.

The 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th speed gears on the 540Nm type S6-40 are spline-fit/crush-crimped but only 2nd gear sees the torque leverage anywhere near that required to distort/unseat the crimp. When this happens, the clutch body ring ruptures into 5 or so pieces, most of which get punched through a 4 inch hole out the side of the case turning into a $3000 repair job.

As you can imagine, this is a very ugly type of failure.

If you don’t plan on adding a crude 150 straight shot No2 system to your motor then the 540Nm rated ZF S6-40 unit will work very well for all of your engine power to driveline management needs.

See Ya,

Bill Boudreau

ZR51 Performance

Cave Creek, AZ

(602) 319-6575"
Posted on: 2013/2/1 5:24

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Thanks for all the info, definitely a lot to think about. I guess the guys over on ls1tech were right about this forum having all the answers!

At that point of catastrophic failure would it just be worth looking into a T56? I know they're a pretty outdated gearbox but cost and power handling wise?

Its not really worth me cutting gears and splines, i can do both relatively easily but if I don't have to worry too much about it failing short of a crude 150 shot then obviously its not an issue haha
Posted on: 2013/2/1 11:37

rklessdriver Re: ZF6 Tranny clutch/gears!
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:
Thanks for all the info, definitely a lot to think about. I guess the guys over on ls1tech were right about this forum having all the answers!

At that point of catastrophic failure would it just be worth looking into a T56? I know they're a pretty outdated gearbox but cost and power handling wise?

Its not really worth me cutting gears and splines, i can do both relatively easily but if I don't have to worry too much about it failing short of a crude 150 shot then obviously its not an issue haha

The T56 is not as good of a tranny as the ZF6.

The only reason to convert to a T56 is because they are more plentiful and easier to find replacement parts for.

My 92 has 480+RWHP and has run 130 mph in the 1/4 on street tires... I haven't had a tranny failure with 4yrs of running it on this engine... Infact it still shifts like butter.

The 3yrs I owned the car before I built this engine, I raced the car with slicks and a 150 shot on the stock engine. Mine has a ton of racing and abuse miles on it.

There are a few people with forced induction engines in C4 Corvettes running in the 9's on a ZF gear box.

For a production tranny the ZF6 is about as strong as they come. You CAN tear up anything but the key to tranny life is the clutch... Even with purpose built racing trannys but the clutch is espc important in a production based tranny.

FYI the D44 rear end is FAR WEAKER than the ZF. It will grenade before you even get near hurting major parts the ZF.
Will
Posted on: 2013/2/1 13:22

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

-=Jeff=- Re: ZF6 Tranny clutch/gears!
Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

just to give you an idea of how solid the ZF6 is my buddy has a 1991 ZR-1 with about 450 RWHP (might be more, I lost track) but he is running 11.01 at the drag strip and his trans is doing just fine. the 2nd and 3rd gear synchros are the most that are replaced from what I recall. Parts can be purchased, just expensive.. but the trans is solid

for Clutch info contact Jim Jandik @ Powertorquesystems

http://www.powertorquesystems.com/

Posted on: 2013/2/1 13:45
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:

Wow... the gang at LS1 Tech said that about us? Gee... I feel so humble...

Another option is the TKO600. It's only a 5spd, but it does fit in right.

The Richmond is another option, but it's REALLY old school.

The T56 isn't perfect, as mentioned above, but perhaps a T6060 (think late model Camaro). I don't know about fitment, tho.

T56 is a kluge no matter what you do; it simply doesn't fit in the C4 right.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 19:46

383tpimachine Re: ZF6 Tranny clutch/gears!
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

Glad you made it over from Tech. I am redbird over there.

These guys are the greatest. Goodluck.
Posted on: 2013/2/1 23:21

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

383tpimachine wrote:
Glad you made it over from Tech. I am redbird over there.

These guys are the greatest. Goodluck.

Thanks for spreading the word!!!
Posted on: 2013/2/1 23:34

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I watched a guy at the local 1/8 mile snap the front of the diff housing off on his C4 with the ZF6. The ZF wasn't hurt.

There are definitely weaker points in the drivetrain.

I bought a used black tag for $800, ran it for about 4 years, including lots of launches with my weak L98 on drag radials. One day my designated driver mistakenly ground reverse on the highway too many times with my non-lockout hurst shifter trying to find 6th gear. I guess it must have overheated something or put too much metal into the trans, because the next morning the shifter was frozen in 1st gear, and when I pulled it out with force to go into reverse, it was then engaged in 1st and reverse at the same time, and locked up.

I went and bought a new blue tag (actually grey tag) for $1300. There was a huge dump of them on ebay years back but they have all been since snapped up, I'm sure there are still new ones laying around.

The blue tag has the reverse lockout built into the trans with a "crash through" design, which is a nice feature to have when you ditch the crappy stock shifter.

$1300 is hard to beat for what you get.
Posted on: 2013/2/2 0:52

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

GM dumped those. They were the GM replacements, but after 10 years, they were not mandated to keep them... so, FIRE SALE!

IIRC, the number was in the several hundreds to low 1000 range available. And when GM dumped them, several of the bigger Corvette parts shops snapped them up in small handfuls.

And I don't blame them.

These so-called "grey tag" units are service replacement parts. Built simply to handle failures and warranty repairs.

I don't remember which federal agency mandates this, but its either the DOT or the FTC, but automakers must provide parts for 10 years after production. That was the magic number for GM...

What is interesting, firms like Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW and Porsche have all initiated new factory programs that provide parts for all cars for as far back as they go.

I am waiting for GM to start a similar program for selected cars... But as long as Ecklers keeps buying the old molds, I doubt it will happen.
Posted on: 2013/2/2 13:50

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I watched a guy at the local 1/8 mile snap the front of the diff housing off on his C4 with the ZF6. The ZF wasn't hurt.

There are definitely weaker points in the drivetrain.

I bought a used black tag for $800, ran it for about 4 years, including lots of launches with my weak L98 on drag radials. One day my designated driver mistakenly ground reverse on the highway too many times with my non-lockout hurst shifter trying to find 6th gear. I guess it must have overheated something or put too much metal into the trans, because the next morning the shifter was frozen in 1st gear, and when I pulled it out with force to go into reverse, it was then engaged in 1st and reverse at the same time, and locked up.

I went and bought a new blue tag (actually grey tag) for $1300. There was a huge dump of them on ebay years back but they have all been since snapped up, I'm sure there are still new ones laying around.

The blue tag has the reverse lockout built into the trans with a "crash through" design, which is a nice feature to have when you ditch the crappy stock shifter.

$1300 is hard to beat for what you get.

Man thats a rough morning, on top of a hangover i can't say I've heard of a worse one hah

I'll stick with what i have for now, eventually i do want to build a motor and and drop it in but it sounds like the tranny will take the punishment, at least for a while..

Another quick question: is there a way to get rid of that 1st to 4th thing? Its just kind of annoying. It doesn't happen to me often but when it does, its definitely annoying. Is it just for fuel economy reasons?
Posted on: 2013/2/2 13:54

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Also, is it a good idea to ditch the stock shifter? I would still want to keep the reverse lockout if possible
Posted on: 2013/2/2 13:55

BillH Re: ZF6 Tranny clutch/gears!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:

Another quick question: is there a way to get rid of that 1st to 4th thing? Its just kind of annoying. It doesn't happen to me often but when it does, its definitely annoying. Is it just for fuel economy reasons?

Yea, Mike

There's a 4 prong plug on the drivers side of the tranny that you have to unplug. The Vette catalog guys sell caps to cover those connectors.

http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductDe ... 33A3%7D&pname=89-95+CAGS+(Skip+Shift)+Disconnect+Plug+Kit&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=GL2-SR&CTitle=&
Posted on: 2013/2/2 14:09

BillH Re: ZF6 Tranny clutch/gears!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:
Also, is it a good idea to ditch the stock shifter? I would still want to keep the reverse lockout if possible

The few aftermarket shifters don't have the lockout (unless someone here knows of one).

A lot of guys like the aftermarket shifters, the stock one doesn't bother me and I'm used to very short shifters on the racetrack.
Posted on: 2013/2/2 14:12

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Sweet deal! Good to know!! What are you guys running for clutches?
Posted on: 2013/2/2 15:21

pianoguy Re: ZF6 Tranny clutch/gears!
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

You can also get the 1-4 skip shift programmed out of your PCM - a good option if you decide to have your car dyno-tuned.
Posted on: 2013/2/2 15:48

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

OEM replacement Luk clutch, but I'm easy on it. 1-piece cast iron flywheel.

The flywheel on your ZF6 is a "dual mass" basically multiple pieces and the dampening and spring action is done in the flywheel instead of in the clutch. The clutch has no sprung hub at all.

So if/when you do the clutch you'll want to explore your flywheel options, the dual mass ones do wear out.

FWIW I have no springs or give anywhere in my clutch or flywheel and the engagement is great. If anything it's better than with the sprung hub clutch I had, which would occassionally buck at very low speeds when engaging, like in bumper to bumper traffic.

I think heavier flywheels are always better though for engagement, it is more forgiving and can't stall the engine as easily from a standstill.
Posted on: 2013/2/2 20:36

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

I didn't realize that they had an OEM replacement. I went to a tranny place locally to see what he could dig up but he said theres no replacement numbers given that he could offer me
Posted on: 2013/2/2 20:53

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

And he deals with only luk products*
Posted on: 2013/2/2 20:54

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

This one came from either Napa or Autozone, I don't remember. The box even said Luk on it.

The weakest part on the zf setup is the throwout bearing
Posted on: 2013/2/3 9:34

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Hmmm I'll have to take a run down there today. I'll see what they say.

Thanks!
Posted on: 2013/2/3 14:28

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

and the hardest part to get is the DMFW... the pressure plate is only made by LuK. Period.

There is a hydraulic throw out available... I am not sure of the spec, tho.
Posted on: 2013/2/3 20:06

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:

The few aftermarket shifters don't have the lockout (unless someone here knows of one).

A lot of guys like the aftermarket shifters, the stock one doesn't bother me and I'm used to very short shifters on the racetrack.
bill boudreau makes a great short throw shifter that can be ordered either way 602 319 6575 . tell him brad sent ya .i have his shifter in both cars and also had a hurst which i took out to put bills in his is way better .jmho
Posted on: 2013/2/4 1:28

LD85 Re: ZF6 Tranny clutch/gears!
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

All this ZF talk makes me nostalgic, a little.
Posted on: 2013/2/4 4:13

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

MikeB52 wrote:

bill boudreau makes a great short throw shifter that can be ordered either way 602 319 6575 . tell him brad sent ya .i have his shifter in both cars and also had a hurst which i took out to put bills in his is way better .jmho

Thanks! I'll have to give him a call today. I don't want any chance of anyone throwing it in reverse, it seems to be a cheap insurance policy haha

And bogus, maybe thats why i can't find any pressure plates anywhere. I'll try to find a luk dealer in my area because it doesn't look like i could order it direct. Thanks for the info!
Posted on: 2013/2/5 12:32

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Rockauto, napa and a couple others all had them...

Posted on: 2013/2/5 16:06

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

another alternative would be to go to a single mass flywheel .i went to a fidanza flywheel which was 30+ lbs lighter and sure let the car accelerate alot faster at the start . you cant believe the difference it makes in first and second gear . jmho
Posted on: 2013/2/5 18:42
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:
another alternative would be to go to a single mass flywheel .i went to a fidanza flywheel which was 30+ lbs lighter and sure let the car accelerate alot faster at the start . you cant believe the difference it makes in first and second gear . jmho

What clutch /flywheel setup are you running? Do you happen to havenpart numbers? I want to go with a single mass fw
Posted on: 2013/2/13 19:38

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I had the Fidenza... meh... For drag racing, good, for road course, not so good. I am not a fan of it...

As much as a lighter flywheel takes off rotating mass/weight, the flywheel also stores torque, so too light, and you start to effect torque storage and launching out of corners gets queer.

That's what I noticed... It just seemed to lack that "pop" I was looking for.

Drag racing, when you are dumping power all at once, not so bad, in fact, it does help there.

I still suggest using the OEM F-Body steel flywheel. It's about 20# after cutting down and is a nice compromise.

Before you install it, get it match balanced with your existing DMFW! The DM uses these little weights to fine balance the engine to the flywheel; which is the external balancer on the rear.

Not doing this could result is a shit load of vibrations at different RPMs. Considering your background, match balance is the least of our worries.

The other reason? The fidenza is EXPENSIVE... $400+, the Fbody SMFW? About $200.

When I build my 383, it will be around a steel Fbody SMFW, neutral balanced because all balance will be internal.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 20:20

Guru
Massachusetts
61 Posts

Thats definitely good to know! And no, i won't have any issue match balancing it. Should i go with an OEM FBody clutch too? Then just an OEM vette pressure plate?
Posted on: 2013/2/14 12:21

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Here is the recipe:

Fbody flywheel, cut down .090
Fbody STYLE friction disc (with hub springs)
Corvette STYLE pressure plate, they are all made by Valeo
Corvette hydraulics

Posted on: 2013/2/14 17:15

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

LD85 wrote:
All this ZF talk makes me nostalgic, a little.

Ok wiseass. As if you have any less time benchpressing transmissions as the rest of us. I'll have you know my ZF works excellent every 1 day a week I drive it carefully to church.
Posted on: 2013/2/15 5:04

Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

Actually I have been pinned by/under a ZF at least twice in one day, so I guess the ZF won.

I will say, I do miss 6th when driving with wild men to Funfest and events, since they like to cruise at 85mph, the TKO is not suited for this.
Posted on: 2013/2/18 19:12

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Which 5th OD ratio did you get?

There is a .64 that is the same as the 700R4... or did you get the higher .75?
Posted on: 2013/2/18 21:25

Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

I got the .64 but it tachs @ 2600 or so if I recall
Posted on: 2013/2/19 1:40

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

what rear gear?
Posted on: 2013/2/19 5:36

Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

I have the 3.42 ZF rear gears,

but I did buy a set of 3.07's recently that I might swap back to for interstate cruises.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 12:42

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

oh, yea... 3.45 is a bit much on a .64 OD.
Posted on: 2013/2/19 17:04

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.