Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
217 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C1
Abbreviation for the 1st generation of Corvettes built from 1953-1962....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
« 1 (2)
 Register To Post

Matatk Re: 91 Corvette Convertible fuel pump issue
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I think you found a new calling, Marcus.
Posted on: 2013/8/18 16:03

Ultraman Re: 91 Corvette Convertible fuel pump issue
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14734 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I think you found a new calling, Marcus.

Ha....ya it pisses me off when they put pumps where you can't get at them...they are going to fail and if you can't change them easily you're screwed....

Now I am doing research into if I can cut axcess holes into the floor of the storage areas in the GS. If I can, then I could access the top of the duel fuel tanks and pull the pumps and sensors right up out of the top without dropping the tank.....Tadge hasn't answered me yet....but I'm sure he will........I think it can be done and reinforced so as not to mess with the integrity of the body structure....

So why didn't GM do it.....who the hell knows...other then they want you to go to a chevy dealer and pay 3 large to have a sensor replaced while dropping the tranny and everything else on the backend....sonsabitches....

Oh man this is turning into a rant.....nevermind....
Posted on: 2013/8/18 16:34

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: 91 Corvette Convertible fuel pump issue
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I pulled the external fuel pump and it cranks with 12v applied. There are no mfg name markings but it has a stamp.

FP001(1?)-2

MFG DATE 053

12 VOLTS

MAX PSI 125

It looks pretty much like this

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATX-E8228/
Posted on: 2013/8/19 18:06

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Pics

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1267.JPG (68.66 KB)
852_52125f5c50f7c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  IMG_1269.JPG (58.16 KB)
852_52125f6febe3c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  IMG_1270.JPG (60.16 KB)
852_52125f7f7b07c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  IMG_1271.JPG (50.03 KB)
852_52125f8cd3475.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  IMG_1272.JPG (50.58 KB)
852_52125f9fdbb2d.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2013/8/19 18:10

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Just because it works with 12v applied doesn't mean it can't quit when warmed up (I'm guessing). Guess I have to check the power from the relay but I might need an extra set of hands to turn the key on and off while I check it.
Posted on: 2013/8/19 18:17

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Alrighty then. This is what I've found. The hot is hot the ground is grounding. I jumpered the red to the yellow and the pump fired. The green wire is now the main suspect. I believe the green wire goes to the ecm. The pump fired on 12v outside on testing. The pump fired when I jumpered the red and yellow. There are 4 wires at the relay. Black, red, yellow and green. The things I need to check are all related to the green wire.
Posted on: 2013/8/19 19:23

bogus Re: 91 Corvette Convertible fuel pump issue
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

that is not the stock relay.

I hate hack jobs...
Posted on: 2013/8/19 19:58

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

djxib Re: 91 Corvette Convertible fuel pump issue
Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

Guys,

I just saw this thread.

I have an additional pump on my car, mounted behind the tag plate; I also have an aftermarket harness to drive the additional pump. Mine is all wired so that the 'stock' fuel pump supply drives the relay, and the relay drives 2 x separate pump feeds. The Power feed to the relay is hard wired to the alternator so the pumps get 13 volts rather than 12.

The theory is that 2 pumps in series work only half as hard as one on it's own; I have a monster pump as my inline and it flows 80gph in my testing, enough (in theory) for 700 HP at 0.6 BSFC.

FYI I mounted my aftermarket relay on the underside of the car, and the harness also came with some additional grounding lugs because the stock grounds for the pump are apparently not very good.

Tommy - my aftermarket harness is made by Racetronix, I may be able to dig out the schematics this weekend if it would help.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 20:49

1996 Greenwood Collectors Edition LT4

Previously 1992 Convertible Polo Green. 383 LT1/LT4 forged/balanced. V7-YSi, Alky. 608RWHP... Now sitting at a dismantler with a salvage title. Still runs...

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I doubt the green wire goes directly to the ecm. It probably goes to an aftermarket controller or your fuel pump power source for the main pump or something along those lines. Check that wire for continuity, it might have a break or loose connection.
Posted on: 2013/8/19 21:23

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Followed the green wire . It connects to a gray wire that comes out of the tank then both connect to a gray wire from this harness by the fuel tank.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1274.JPG (71.44 KB)
852_5212a558890b1.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2013/8/19 23:08

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Thanks for your input, Andy.(djxib) It shed's a little light on the subject. The only kink in the armour right now seems linked to the green wire. Guess I'll pull the sending unit next to see what mysteries unravel. Maybe probe around that harness connection a little too.
Posted on: 2013/8/19 23:22

1Fast04Vert Re: 91 Corvette Convertible fuel pump issue
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Followed the green wire . It connects to a gray wire that comes out of the tank then both connect to a gray wire from this harness by the fuel tank.

That quick splice connector is well known for corrosion which results in a very poor connection.
Posted on: 2013/8/19 23:53

BillH Re: 91 Corvette Convertible fuel pump issue
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

1Fast04Vert wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

That quick splice connector is well known for corrosion which results in a very poor connection.

Especially since it's a 120v, and is supposed to be used for house wiring.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bubba.
Posted on: 2013/8/20 2:51

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

1Fast04Vert wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

Especially since it's a 120v, and is supposed to be used for house wiring.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bubba.

Then maybe I should look for a circuit breaker.
Posted on: 2013/8/20 3:00

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I don't have a 91 fsm, just a 93. The 93 shows a gray power feed wire from the fuel pump relay. I'm assuming that's what yours is. In the 89 it's a tan/white(?) wire so not sure when the change was. I would test for power at that wire first. Also I would cut that quick splice out and solder it correctly as Andy mentioned above. I believe the purple and black are both for the fuel gauge. I could not find a direct wire listing in the FSM, they can be a PIA sometimes.
Posted on: 2013/8/20 3:11

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I don't have a 91 fsm, just a 93. The 93 shows a gray power feed wire from the fuel pump relay. I'm assuming that's what yours is. In the 89 it's a tan/white(?) wire so not sure when the change was. I would test for power at that wire first. Also I would cut that quick splice out and solder it correctly as Andy mentioned above. I believe the purple and black are both for the fuel gauge. I could not find a direct wire listing in the FSM, they can be a PIA sometimes.

So what should the gray show? 12v? I have the 91 FSM. I'll take a look. Would that be plausible to have the green and red wire both running 12v to the Bubba relay? When it comes to auto electric I am The Weakest Link. I'm learning because I'm doing. I'll report my findings.
Posted on: 2013/8/20 3:20

BillH Re: 91 Corvette Convertible fuel pump issue
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

So what should the gray show? 12v? I have the 91 FSM. I'll take a look.

There will be something in the FSM on how the F/P energizes, if you can't find it, let me know.

It's possible that key-on, the gray wire only gets power for a few seconds before the ECM shuts off the power so, you'll have to get someone to turn the key while you watch the meter or have the meter where you can see it when you turn on the key.

After the ECM turns off the pump, it will turn it back on when it sees injector pulses OR after cranking and getting oil pressure.
Posted on: 2013/8/20 3:34

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Thanks Bill (and Matt). I have some reading to do.
Posted on: 2013/8/20 3:37

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

So what should the gray show? 12v? I have the 91 FSM. I'll take a look. Would that be plausible to have the green and red wire both running 12v to the Bubba relay? When it comes to auto electric I am The Weakest Link. I'm learning because I'm doing. I'll report my findings.

The gray wire should be the power feed for the stock fuel pump. If the aftermarket pump is wired how I think, then it takes the reference signal from the gray wire to open the aftermarket relay. The aftermarket relay will have a ground, a constant power source, and a reference wire. The reference wire is what tells the relay to open and feed power directly from the battery (or constant power source)
Posted on: 2013/8/20 11:37

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

So what should the gray show? 12v? I have the 91 FSM. I'll take a look.

There will be something in the FSM on how the F/P energizes, if you can't find it, let me know.

It's possible that key-on, the gray wire only gets power for a few seconds before the ECM shuts off the power so, you'll have to get someone to turn the key while you watch the meter or have the meter where you can see it when you turn on the key.

After the ECM turns off the pump, it will turn it back on when it sees injector pulses OR after cranking and getting oil pressure.

Both the 89 and 93 manuals I have are crappy with their descriptions. The ecm does give the 2-3 second power application to the relay. There are orange and red wires responsible for signaling/powering the fuel pump relay. The gray wire is the power source from the relay to the pump. Once the ecm turns off the 2-3 second to the signal, there will be no more power to the gray wire unless you are cranking/running.
Posted on: 2013/8/20 11:40

bogus Re: 91 Corvette Convertible fuel pump issue
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

and that comes from the oil pressure switch... 4psi before it refires the fuel pump.

and that works in parallel with the fuel pump relay.

a real mess...
Posted on: 2013/8/20 17:38

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I am betting money they wired that thing up special... I thought I saw a relay there.

Yep, they did something special. I went up under the passenger dash. The relays that the FSM said would be there are not there. I moved some of the harnesses to peek around. I didn't see any relays. Looked like a bunch of harness connections. I guess that's one way to figure out your car. By looking. I hate messing with auto electric especially under the dash.

I tested the fuel pump by jumping 12v at the harness back by the gas cap. Grey wire to the tank and branches to the external pump. It ran the external pump. Can't hear the inside pump since the outside one is so loud. I turned the key a couple of times and low and behold it started cycling and running. Doesn't mean anything is fixed it just means that it's starting and confusing the issue. Maybe I jostled some wires when I was under the passenger side. Anyway, it's running rough and acting like it's starving for fuel but it starts. I put everything back together and where I found it. It's not in the back. It's wiring, a relay, the ignition, a fuel filter, ecu, ccm or something else. I'm probably going to turn it over to my local GM trained, ASE qualified mechanic and see if he can make heads or tails of it.He has the tools, the testing equipment and the know how. He has his own shop. If he can fix it I'll have him give the whole car a good once over. There's a few issues that need t be addressed. Looks like it's the once every five years dump a couple (or few) grand into it to get it running right time.
Posted on: 2013/9/12 20:05

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Too bad you're not closer to one of us to look it over for ya. Good luck with the mechanic.
Posted on: 2013/9/13 4:46

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Results? Updates?
Posted on: 2013/9/30 16:19

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Picked up the 91 at 04:00 PM. Defective coil, in tank fuel pump, sucked out the tank, oil pan gasket (leak), fuel filter, synthetic oil and oil filter. It's up and running. It still has an extensive list of items that need attention. Over time most of it will get done but now it's drivable. I asked the mechanic his confidence level that it would run good. He said "It's fixed". Drove it home. It starts crisply and seems to be running fine.
Posted on: 2013/10/10 2:02

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Glad it's done!
Posted on: 2013/10/10 12:40

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Just so you know, my total bill including tax was $718. Parts were around $242. Labor high 4's. I ain't complaining. I got my money's worth. 5 gals of gas etc. I've been too busy to mess with it lately. Besides. The coil being defective would have thrown me a curve ball. All is well. It's running.
Posted on: 2013/10/10 20:36

« 1 (2)
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.