Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
268 user(s) are online (234 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
« 1 (2) 3 »
 Register To Post

Danspeed1 Re: How NOT to flush engine oil!
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

IMPORTANT: WANTED:

TPIS MINIRAM or ACCELL SUPER RAM INTAKE SETUP

Email me at Danspeed1@yahoo.com
Posted on: 2013/12/1 4:30
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: How NOT to flush engine oil!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Making good progress....at least with the dash apart you can change the heater core...lol.
Posted on: 2013/12/1 4:46

teebee Re: How NOT to flush engine oil!
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12362 Posts

What happened to using the LT1 intake?
Posted on: 2013/12/1 5:05

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Making good progress....at least with the dash apart you can change the heater core...lol.

I was pretty angry I made a mistake like that. The smart thing to do would have been to evaluate the wiring harness first and then figure out how to install it without removing the dash. I usually avoid situations like that, but I have alot going on right now and my mind was in a different place. The good news is, the dash absolutely had to come out anyway. Even though the firewall in that area was not damaged, the heated air got into the plastic heater box and melted it. If I didn't replace it the car would never have any heat or air conditioning. I decided while the dash was out, I might as well do a heater core and that's when I found the box was damaged... so I did same some work in the long run, but boy is that interior a mess!

Wiring is all done,... everything fits factory. The car is really shaping up nicely so far.
Posted on: 2013/12/1 21:01
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
What happened to using the LT1 intake?

Very good question.

In my area we have alot of really bad shops and one great one. The machine shop I had the engine built at, I have been using for almost a decade. Circle track racing in my area is very big and these guys build 90% of those engines. You would think that would make the prices unreasonable but you would be mistaken. On top of superior work the prices are very, very fair. Having worked with them before and seeing the results on the last few engines we had built I tend to not argue when I am told something.

They downright refused to put the intake on engine they built. We had purchased an already done intake from a corvetteforum member who had lied about the condition (go figure), and when we received it realized it was worthless. So we went as far as to purchase a new ported LT1 intake from ebay. We brought both to the machine shop to have them make the adjustments so we could use it on this engine. They took one look at it and said NO!. Most of the intakes being built have water ports in the rear. I am told this is very bad because the water never flows to the front of the engine and doesn't cool the first 2 cylinders. This can lead to overheating and head gasket issues. The only way to make it work is to drill out the front ports, and their was not enough meat to run a significantly sized water opening to cool the engine. Now I know people have used this setup for years, but even after I went online looking for information on how true this was, I couldn't find any. This is due in part to the fact that by the time these intake swaps came around, LSx swaps were more popular.

The engine is brand new from top to bottom. Only things reused were the pistons, rods, and crank. The heads have been hand ported, all the valves and bearings are new. I rather do it the right way, then rig it and have a problem. I don't want to have to face these guys if I do have an issue after i was told no.

DG
Posted on: 2013/12/1 21:11
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

bogus Re: How NOT to flush engine oil!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Interesting. I have never heard that theory. If you ask me, it sounds like crap... Why would the coolant stop? Why not keep flowing up the head? Why is it coming from the back? these are standard flow, so coolant should go from front to back.

Posted on: 2013/12/2 0:07

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Interesting. I have never heard that theory. If you ask me, it sounds like crap... Why would the coolant stop? Why not keep flowing up the head? Why is it coming from the back? these are standard flow, so coolant should go from front to back.

It would be nice if someone could clarify this. I am still very curious. Essentially it is my understanding that the coolant flows from the lower hose through the pump from the front to back, then up the back to the front. If so I can understand where you would have a lull where the coolant goes out the rear passages into the hoses and back into the radiator, overheating the front of the engine block where the coolant essentially boils. Otherwise I would agree, it really wouldn't make any difference. Normally I would disagree as I am usually the first person to make accusatory statements but these guys have already proven to be reliable so I just take there word for it.

There was no incentive for them not to machine the intake, the would have just made more money. I can't see why you would turn away easy work unless you honestly thought it was a bad idea. As I mentioned before there is really not enough information on this to know for sure.

Now the tough part is finding an intake that works.

So far we are on budget with this project even with the engine rebuild

DG
Posted on: 2013/12/2 2:09
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Resized Image
Posted on: 2013/12/2 3:24
Edited by Danspeed1 on 2013/12/2 3:58:19
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

KPotter Re: How NOT to flush engine oil!
Elite Guru
Cuyahoga Falls OH
1072 Posts

Dan, circle track racing is big in your area ? That's putting it mildly. Someday I am going to make it out to the Eastern States 200 and several other big shows. May I ask what engine shop you are dealing with ?
Posted on: 2013/12/2 19:33

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

KPotter wrote:
Dan, circle track racing is big in your area ? That's putting it mildly. Someday I am going to make it out to the Eastern States 200 and several other big shows. May I ask what engine shop you are dealing with ?

Yes,

I do all my work with Bob and John at Precision Engines in Middletown, NY.

I am not much into circle track racing, however, back about 8 years ago we had a 72 Corvette that needed an engine and we bought a 377 from them. I was hooked. Endless RPM and Torque...

They also did the head work on my C6. I am making 562HP/583TQ on 9psi of boost from a M112, no knock, no heat issues. Car runs consistently at 169*F. Unfortunately I was not smart enough to invest in a new oil pump... (see thread in C6 section of this forum)

DG

Posted on: 2013/12/3 5:36
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

I wish I had more time to keep up with this thread, but it seems like I spend every day just running around and never have any time to even make a post.

Car is coming along, a hell of a lot quicker than my C6 did. I have a few pictures for you guys and some updates.

The dash is almost back together as of today. Next time I will have time work work on it will be Friday, but I am hoping to have a hell of a lot more done then along with some new pictures.

The heater box is out of a 95, got it off ebay. Had to move the controller from the top of the box to the bottom... hoping it moves in the right direction when it finally comes time to adjust the heat and a/c. The good news is, it went in easy and the dash is going back together at rapid pace.

Picked up the new engine from the machine shop! Looks awesome, hopefully runs awesome. And I was surprised to see my father purchased a TPIS miniram for it. This blows the budget but at least the car is getting done right. Looks like its going to turn out to be a very nice car when its done!

I was also able to get the wiring harness in without any major issues.

Resized Image

Resized Image

New heater box!
Resized Image

Old Heater box!
Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image
Posted on: 2013/12/10 5:58
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

I do have a couple of questions if anyone can answer them.

1. Where can I get new fuel lines from the fuel filter forward?

2. Do I need to retain my accumulator on my fuel lines?

3. There is a solenoid under the battery with a few orange wires. The orange wires are coming out of the engine harness. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for those wires, as I am not sure which ones go where on the solenoid?

4. I damaged the pilot bearing for the transmission. It is a standard GM brass bearing (some call it a bushing). I am having trouble purchasing one for this vehicle because for whatever reason most auto parts stores no longer carry them. I think they moved to a needle bearing type bushing. Problem is every website shows a different size for the bushing. Specifically, which one do I need? Is there one in particular you guys are all using?

DG
Posted on: 2013/12/10 6:06
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

captmike13 Re: How NOT to flush engine oil!
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Looks like Rock Auto has the bushing. About $12.00.
Posted on: 2013/12/10 11:02

captmike13@yahoo.com

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

1) No one makes those fuel lines as far as I know. I have seen several people who replaced them with braided line instead. If you want stock lines you will have to get them used from a salvage yard.

Here is on on ebay $40:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4-Corvette-F ... sh=item27dbdcb19c&vxp=mtr

2) I believe you are referring to the disc shaped item on the fuel line? Not sure if that's necessary or not. If it's a dampener/pulsator then I would assume the fuel lines would just make more noise?

3) I don't know what solenoid you mean?

Is it on here:

Resized Image
Posted on: 2013/12/10 15:15

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

I bought those lines you linked me to on ebay. Got them for #$20 + shipping!

Thanks,

DG
Posted on: 2013/12/15 1:58
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Awesome! That's a deal right there.
Posted on: 2013/12/15 2:35

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

orange wires? Those are fusible links. A bunch collect behind the battery at the main junction box.

Posted on: 2013/12/15 5:42

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Hello everybody and happy new year!

Looks like this project is going to make its way into 2014. Fortunately, although there were a few hick ups along the way the car seems to be coming together nicely. As I mentioned in my previous thread there were a couple of additional fusible links that the 90 harness did not have, but I connected them up anyway and was able to ground most the harness and cycle through a few of the electrical functions, like the lights and stereo; most of it seems to work and there is no sparking or smoking occuring so I guess I am good to go.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Good to finally see some life breath back into her!

In addition to the wiring I was able to install the new evaporator core box, heater and plug the harness in.

Resized Image

I all installed a new Delco fuel filter and the replacement lines Matak found on ebay. They fit like a glove!

Resized Image

I found that my AIR BAG SENSOR was burnt to a crisp so I removed that and am actually looking for a new one. They are quite hard to find so if anyone has a source on those (I believe they are year specific) I would greatly appreciate the input

Finally the last thing I did was installed a new wheel speed sensor, however I left it disconnected. I haven't had an opportunity to look at a wiring diagram, but when I tried to splice the wires coming out from under the bottom sill of the car I found that both wires were RED and I am not sure which one goes to which or even if it matters. If anyone knows and could clarify that it would be greatly appreciated as well.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/12/31 4:58
Edited by Danspeed1 on 2013/12/31 5:14:16
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Today's big project of the day was to pull the ZF6 and install the new engine. I was able to pull the ZF6 in about 15 minutes. The pilot bearing in the back of the crank was destroyed from when we pulled the motor so I had to yank it out with a slide hammer and put a new one in. I was able to get a dorman bronze pilot bushing from napa. I have no idea where its made but lets just say it was a tight fit. I tried initially installing the bushing with no success. I left my micrometer at home so I was only able to eyeball the bushing against the old one. They looked "about" the same in side. So threw the bushing in the freezer which wasted a good half hour. Tried installing it again, and still was unsuccessful. God frustrated and rolled the engine and bearing outside. Fortunately it was 20*F out; even though I know better I was left with no choice but to hammer it in. Doesn't seem like I deformed it but I guess only time will tell. From there I threw on the flywheel, clutch disc, installed my advance auto parts cheapo clutch disc alignment tool, and grabbed the pressure plate. Then I realized my day was over. Throwout bearing is shot, the grease is blown out, and it rattles all over the place. And with only 30K miles.....

Resized Image

On the bright side, I "THINK" the clutch disc looks ok?? any thoughts....??

Resized Image

DG
Posted on: 2013/12/31 5:23
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Gotta purchase some new sensors tomorrow. Got to figure out what the burned up ones are first...

Resized Image
Posted on: 2013/12/31 5:45
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

joeld Re: How NOT to flush engine oil!
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Starting from the left:

Coolant temp sensor

Knock sensor

Tach filter

Oil pressure sender/fuel pump switch

Joel
Posted on: 2013/12/31 17:08

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Sir (crash) sensor is impossible to find, good luck.

Above sensors: iat or cts /?/tach filter/oil pressure/knock sensor.
Posted on: 2013/12/31 17:08

BrianCunningham Re: How NOT to flush engine oil!
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:
Resized Image

If that's suppose to be for an LT1/4 the coolant is flowing in the wrong direction

Resized Image
Posted on: 2013/12/31 19:41

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

#1 from left could also be oil temp sensor:
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corvet ... ure-sensor-1990-1996.html

#2 might be the coolant temp sensor for the head:
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corvet ... ure-sensor-1981-1991.html

#3 definitely tach filter

#4 definitely oil pressure switch

#5 definitely knock sensor
Posted on: 2014/1/1 1:21

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:

I found that my AIR BAG SENSOR was burnt to a crisp so I removed that and am actually looking for a new one. They are quite hard to find so if anyone has a source on those (I believe they are year specific) I would greatly appreciate the input

We learned from another member that if the SIR is open the car will not start. You might need to remove the system and jumper some wires.

http://www.corvetteguruforum.com/modu ... id=218593#forumpost218593
Posted on: 2014/1/1 1:28

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Just realized something important we will need. We have air... fuel... we have yet to order a new distributor, or plugs.

I have a rebuilt MDS box I am going to use and an MSD coil laying around. The box isn't going to do much but will provide a spark rev limiter which is very beneficial. I found a 6400 RPM pill, I think that's probably a fair rev limit, shifiting somewhere around 6K.

For the distributor; will this work with the configuration we have and the TPIS miniram

JEGS Performance Products 40006 - JEGS Chevy HEI External Coil Distributor - will fit JEGS Performance Products#555-40006
HEI External Coil Distributor
1987-95 Chevy with External Coil
Resized Image

Says it will fit, am assuming it will work with my pcm, however I am wondering if the TPIS miniram requires a specific distributor?

Also, what plugs do I run? Do I need a colder heat range? Car will be run on 93 octane. Will a set of copper delco's work?

DG
Posted on: 2014/1/2 0:46
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

NGK recommends one range colder for every 75-100 HP you add. I like NGK plugs, I run them.

I don't see why that dizzy wouldn't work since you are converting to an external coil. I think you might need an adapter for the different wiring harness but there is a plug and play one available online.
Posted on: 2014/1/2 3:11

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

So stock calls for A.C. Delco FR5LS so 2 steps colder would be FR3LS.... am I headed in the right direction here?
Posted on: 2014/1/2 5:53
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Update: Distributor on the way, ordering plugs tomorrow so I am hoping that part number is correct. For those of you whodo not know the throw out bearing for this vehicle is discontinued from General Motors and from what I could tell is not being offered from any aftermarket manufacturers other than Ecklers. I opted not to go with the Bearing from ecklers because of the fact that it is made in China and not in the US and has been a problem for a lot of other vehicles from what I can tell from previous posts in other threads. Instead I spent my afternoon on the phone with GM, and we were able to locate a dealer in Michigan who had an original bearing with the original part number, sitting on the shelf. The bearing was stamped made in USA from what the parts guy said. Hopefully this one will last a little longer. Unfortunately it cost us $232. In addition we purchased all new sensors including the oxygen sensors. The bills are certainly starting to stack up and the car is beginning to nickel and dime us but at least it's coming together properly. Still no luck locating an airbag control module.

Does anyone have any information on that wheel speed sensor wire?

Dg
Posted on: 2014/1/4 4:56
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

As far as spark plugs, do you think you need to go two ranges colder? Are you adding 150-200 hp?

If the wires are both red, I would guess it doesn't matter.
Posted on: 2014/1/5 2:06

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

have you tried Vette2Vette for the airbag control module?

What module are you looking for?
Posted on: 2014/1/5 17:50

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
As far as spark plugs, do you think you need to go two ranges colder? Are you adding 150-200 hp?

If the wires are both red, I would guess it doesn't matter.

Yea, from what I read of the information that you sent me, the engine should be making around 420 hp and I plan on running the MSD 6AL ignition box (mostly for the rev limiter); the combination of the horsepower and the ignition system calls for a plug two steps colder... from my understanding. As for the plugs, they were long discontinued, but I personally prefer AC Delco plugs so I was able to sources set off-line that have been sitting on the shelf.
Posted on: 2014/1/5 18:26
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

This is the sensor I need. The picture is actually from Yvette to vettes site. It's 90 specific.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2014/1/5 20:09
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

where does that go? Under the battery or under the radio? It looks like the part under the battery.

Call Chris May at Superior Chevy, in Kansas... he's my goto guy for hard to find Vette parts. 800.728.8267. Tell him I sent ya... Also, Corvette Salvage, down in Mississippi... Dino's Corvette Salvage, that is...

Another place to check is ebay... they may not show it, but reaching out to a vendor might find it.

Posted on: 2014/1/5 21:35

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Thank you Andy I will give those guys a call tomorrow!
Posted on: 2014/1/5 21:46
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote: Thank you Andy I will give those guys a call tomorrow!

thumbup

Posted on: 2014/1/6 1:09

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote: Thank you Andy I will give those guys a call tomorrow!

thumbup

Dad beat me to it; When I came over today, there was a SIR sensor from an 91 sitting on the kitchen table. He wants me to spice the old connector onto the newer sensor although I rather just get the right part.

DG
Posted on: 2014/1/10 2:50
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Spent a little more time on the car today. My father had surgery so he's out of the picture on this project. Now its up to me to complete it.

Got the correct clutch disc centering tool and was able to install the flex plate on the back of the motor.

Resized Image

Turns out the throwout bearing was ok, so i reused the old one.. my mistake.

Resized Image

And installed the bell housing and front crank pulley.

Resized Image

Figured I would install it with the starter while I was at it. Thought it would mean less time on my back, but I was wrong (trans gave me trouble)

Resized Image

Believe it or not, after I finished putting the bell housing and crank pulley on, the engine basically slid right in.

Resized Image

I laid the harness out all nice and pretty too...

Resized Image

This was the easy part of my day... the hard part is coming up.
Posted on: 2014/1/10 2:58
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Now for the Q&A part of todays post.

First off, the plugs arrived today. Does anyone know what the gap should be on an engine making around 420HP with an MSD 6AL and billet distributor?

Resized Image

After having an easy morning installing the engine and a couple of accessories, I ran into a major problem. I can't get the mother ******* transmission back in to save my life. I am really stumped here and need some tips or tricks!!!
I wound up having to pull the drive shaft and C-BEAM because they were both in the way. What's interesting is it looks like after I get the transmission bolted to the bell housing there is not going to be enough room to even get the C-BEAM back in. Is this correct? No matter anyway. I can't even get the input shaft to slid in the clutch disc properly, and forget lining up the pilot busing. I read ZFDOC but its very vague to me... can anyone be a little more specific as to how this thing installs. 3 honest hours messing with it and no success. Running out of patience quickly.

DG
Posted on: 2014/1/10 3:03
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

making great progress!!!
Posted on: 2014/1/10 4:33

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

It always looks like the c-beam won't fit. I had the same thing in June when I did mine. It will fit, I promise. You have to move it all the way to the side as far as possible and then back and forth a few times to get it to slide on.

According to MSD:
"As a rule of thumb, it is recommended to increase the plug gap by .005” - .010” followed by testing and tuning.
Keep in mind that larger spark plug gaps also place increasing demands on the secondary portion of the ignition
system including the distributor cap and rotor, coil wire, and spark plug wires. They should all be in top condition and checked periodically during the race season. Remember that electricity takes the path of least resistance to a ground so if the gap is too large the spark may short to another point with less resistance. "
Posted on: 2014/1/11 1:43

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in updates I've been very busy. GOOD NEWS! After struggling to get the transmission in for about three hours, I gave my redneck friend a call. He is much more methodical than I am. He spent about 15 minutes taking a look over the parts I had; giving the vehicle good look over, and then he proceeded to grab a couple of screwdrivers, a prybar, a regular Jack, and slid underneath the car got to work. With his assistance we were able to get the transmission in in about 45 minutes without any real issue. The C beam was interesting to install, and I will leave it at that. I don't have time to get back over there this week, but I will be sure to take some pictures next week of the progress. For now I was able to get the transmission and engine bolted into the vehicle, the water pump on, and some of the wires bolted to the block. It certainly starting to look like a car again. Now I just need to find a new intake that fits the engine
Posted on: 2014/1/15 1:37
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in updates I've been very busy. GOOD NEWS! After struggling to get the transmission in for about three hours, I gave my redneck friend a call. He is much more methodical than I am. He spent about 15 minutes taking a look over the parts I had; giving the vehicle good look over, and then he proceeded to grab a couple of screwdrivers, a prybar, a regular Jack, and slid underneath the car got to work. With his assistance we were able to get the transmission in in about 45 minutes without any real issue. The C beam was interesting to install, and I will leave it at that. I don't have time to get back over there this week, but I will be sure to take some pictures next week of the progress. For now I was able to get the transmission and engine bolted into the vehicle, the water pump on, and some of the wires bolted to the block. It certainly starting to look like a car again. Now I just need to find a new intake that fits the engine
Posted on: 2014/1/15 1:59
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Glad to hear it is in!
Posted on: 2014/1/15 3:31

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Posted on: 2014/1/17 14:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am a big fan of this transmission jack from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb- ... nsmission-jack-60240.html
Posted on: 2014/1/18 4:23

jonszr1 Re: How NOT to flush engine oil!
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

[quote]
Danspeed1 wrote:
Well, unfortunately although I feel the same way, and my father felt the same way as he actually told her when he picked up the car she should have went after him, but apparently she is too busy and just wanted to be rid of the car. Now that it is in our possession the only thing to do is look forward. It is my opinion that he scored a really nice project car with a decent story. The car still has her plates on it and they are being returned this week. Even though it has nothing to do with us my father feels she should know that this guy filled her engine with gas so he is going to tell her as well as provide her with pictures. But at the end of the day its not going to change anything.

As for the car: today he was able to score what appears to be a complete harness from inside the car all the way though the engine compartment out of a 91... hopefully its the same as a 90?

Now we just need to figure out what to do with the engine. As always we work on a budget. Although I would love to do an LSx swap, I have a feeling mating a LSx to a ZF6 is going to create another hair pulling situation, and we already have enough of that going on. So maybe a heads/cam TPI is the best direction to go in.

DG[/quotemating the zf tranny to a ls motor isn't bad at all. bill boudreau aka the zf doc makes an adapter that makes it a piece of cake here is his phone number 602 319 6575 .tell him brad from lone pine sent ya . he is a great guy who does awesome rebuilds of the zf tranny .he could also help you through the rest of the change as he has already done it to his 89.
Posted on: 2014/1/18 20:16

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:
[quote]
Danspeed1 wrote:
Well, unfortunately although I feel the same way, and my father felt the same way as he actually told her when he picked up the car she should have went after him, but apparently she is too busy and just wanted to be rid of the car. Now that it is in our possession the only thing to do is look forward. It is my opinion that he scored a really nice project car with a decent story. The car still has her plates on it and they are being returned this week. Even though it has nothing to do with us my father feels she should know that this guy filled her engine with gas so he is going to tell her as well as provide her with pictures. But at the end of the day its not going to change anything.

As for the car: today he was able to score what appears to be a complete harness from inside the car all the way though the engine compartment out of a 91... hopefully its the same as a 90?

Now we just need to figure out what to do with the engine. As always we work on a budget. Although I would love to do an LSx swap, I have a feeling mating a LSx to a ZF6 is going to create another hair pulling situation, and we already have enough of that going on. So maybe a heads/cam TPI is the best direction to go in.

DG[/quotemating the zf tranny to a ls motor isn't bad at all. bill boudreau aka the zf doc makes an adapter that makes it a piece of cake here is his phone number 602 319 6575 .tell him brad from lone pine sent ya . he is a great guy who does awesome rebuilds of the zf tranny .he could also help you through the rest of the change as he has already done it to his 89.

Lol.... Thanks for the tip but we're too far along with this project now to turn back and swap an ls motor in. That's very good information to know for the future though, I'm a very big fan of the ZF6, I love how the transmission shifts and feels. It's nice,to know it can be swapped into just about anything now. I will keep my eyes open at the parts swap meets.
Posted on: 2014/1/19 20:09
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Andy, that transmission Jack is cool but EXPENSIVE and really not that much different from my motorcycle stand.

Dg
Posted on: 2014/1/19 20:10
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Still looking for a 1204 Tpis mini ram...
Posted on: 2014/1/19 20:11
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

« 1 (2) 3 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.