Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
173 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Z16
Also known as the Grand Sport.

A one year special. 1000 were made to honor both the end of the C4 and the original racers, called Grand Sports, fr...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

rklessdriver Season's over and time to rebuild.
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Well guys I ran the seasons last MPC Real Street race last weekend.

All in all it has been a great time for me and Elise. She has learned so much about drag racing and really is a big help wiith maintaining/racing the car.

I finished in 7th place overall this season in the points. Not bad for my first year in the class.

In cass legal trim the 84 ran a best pass of 6.02@113mph in the 1/8th mile and had a best 60ft of 1.246. Not bad for a pump gas street engine wth OTB unported cyl heads in a 3100lb car with stock suspension.

The improvement phase begins.

I have secured a chassis shop to do a certified 8.50 10pt Chromoly cage. I'll be good to run the 1/4 mile (without shutting off early) next season. Got to get the interior, engine and tranny out to drop the car off with him by Dec 14... cage will be done 3 weeks later.

Me and my buddy Rich are going to pull the engine and tranny this weekend... I also hope to have the top end apart the same day.

Got big plans for the engine too....
Will
Posted on: 2013/10/25 14:24

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Season's over and time to rebuild.
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Post pics and details!
Posted on: 2013/10/25 16:12

Ultraman Re: Season's over and time to rebuild.
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14705 Posts

Ya...that sounds like fun...keep us posted...
Posted on: 2013/10/25 17:15

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

rklessdriver Re: Season's over and time to rebuild.
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I'll post pics when I get the car back from the Chassis shop.... Should be interesting getting all the stock interior back in the car around the new 10pt cage.

As for engine details.

I'm re-using the Dart Little M Block, Eagle 4340 4" stroke crankshaft and QFT 950 carb I currently have.

The Dart 230 Pro 1 cyl heads are going to Rons Porting Service for his 248cc CNC package.

Diamond nitrous pistons 4.155 bore
Perfect Circle Firepower rings
K1 Technologies billet rods 5.850 length
Kevko box style oil pan (should fit if I remove those 2 little front crossmember brackets)
Titan Engineering billet alum oil pump
Xcelledyne belt drive
.903 Morel roller lifters
Edelbrock 2892 Super Victor 2 intake manifold.

Of course a new roller camshaft and new rest of the valve train... I'm going to stay with stud mounted rockers and stainless steel valves because of cost... this is going to limit me to about 7800-8200RPM.

The engine will be a 434 cubic inch when I'm done. Shooting for 12.8-13.1 compression ratio. Even thou this iteration will be a pure nitrous engine, I'll be very disappointed if it dosen't break 700HP on motor... That along with the additional 300-350hp of nitrous and I should be a real threat to win next season.
Will
Posted on: 2013/10/25 17:47

BrianCunningham Re: Season's over and time to rebuild.
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

that's goong to be a sweet ride, already is
Posted on: 2013/10/25 21:29

bogus Re: Season's over and time to rebuild.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

that's gonna be a rocket ship. with 1000 hp on tap, traction will be the problem.

Can't wait to follow this build.
Posted on: 2013/10/25 23:37

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Sorry guys no work on the car this weekend. Had some family stuff pop up yesterday that we needed to take care of.

Will take it apart next weekend andctake some pics.
Will
Posted on: 2013/10/27 18:22

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Got the car apart this weekend.

Motor is down to the short block and looks great... espc considering it wasn't built as a Nitrous engine and I have been spraying the dog piss out of it all season. Just goes to show that good tune ups will run on everything and hurt nothing.

Here's a few pics:

Short block

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/IMG_20131117_134857_zps0e5d4e1e.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

I know everybody likes to see the "hardware"... really simple stuff/junk. Harland Sharp stud mount rockers and PRP stud girdles.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/IMG_20131117_123559_zps1da90783.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Engine out of the car and the long block on the stand.

You can see the TH350 and PTC converter sitting on the floor. BTW I used the Valvoline Dextron VI synthetic fluid in it all season... 80+passes and it looked and smelled new.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/IMG_20131117_120011_zps3c40ff78.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

I will take some pics of the new CM 8.50 certified cage once I get the car back from my chassis builder Dominic at DC Performance. Dropping the car off to him Dec 14 and get it back Jan 15.

Just sent a $1700 check to Stahl Headers... 2" primary tubes with a 3.5" collector. I know they will be beautiful peices when I get them.

Most of the important stuff is paid for but I still got a few more parts checks to write.

I will also take some pics of the engine as it goes back together in it's new and improved state. Taking it to dads shop in Ga on Saturday... It's going to be a mad scramble for me and my brother on weekends from Thanksgiving till Jan to get it built, tested on the dyno and then installed back in the car in time to test over the Presidents day holiday but thats my goal.
Will
Posted on: 2013/11/19 18:18

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Guys I got the engine to dads shop and got it completely apart.

Couple of changes.

The crank is so far out of spec, I'm going to replace it.

The cyl heads have some guide wear and I 'm going to go with different heads... the new ones are slightly better.
Will
Posted on: 2013/12/1 22:23

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Wanted to show you guys some progress on my new engine.

This is a brand new Howards Track Smart 3. 4340 Forged and 100% USA mfgr'd at Callis. I was able to get a great deal on this crank as my sales rep at CP sold me this crank for $680 on a "Cyber Monday" deal.

This crank checked out and mic'd 100% perfect. 2.4480 on the mains and 2.0990 on the rods. Dead straight on every journal w/less than .0001 taper.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/image_zpsd258601d.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

I also want to show you the my new intake manifold and the plenum work I did to it.

Here it is set up on the Vertical Mill getting ready to have the plenum cut open with a 1" end mill.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/IMG_20131125_111237_zps022c4b2a.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Here is a direct over head shot of the finished plenum after I cut it on the mill and radiused the runner entry's.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/IMG_20131125_134642_zps62c2e5b8.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Here is an angle shot looking down into the runners where you can see the crosssectional taper from the plenum roof to the runner roof.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/IMG_20131125_134651_zps643fb700.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

BTW I removed .400 of material out of that plenum (.400 in all directions). All in all this work too about 6 hrs to do and I did not touch the runners (porting) past just thinning out the divider wings that extend into the plenum. If I get more time to go down therre and work before the intake goes on the engine I will fully port it.. if not it will go on as is. I'm sorry I didn't take more pics as I went along but this was never meant to be a "how to" thread anyway and operating equipment like this takes some level of concentration not ruin a $400 intake.

I'll let you guys in on the parts and new engine combination.

434 cubic inches.
4.155" bore X 4" stroke.
5.850 Rod length.
13.1 SCR

Dart Little M Sportsman block.
Howards Track Smart 3 forged 4340 cranshaft.
K1 Technologies billet steel 4340 rods.
Diamond nitrous pistons, gas ported, 9cc dome.
Perfect Circle Fire Power rings. .043, 1/16, 3/16
King HP series brgs.
Titan Sportsman oil pump.
Kevko box style drag racing oil pan.

QFT Q Series 950 carburator
Edelbrock 2892 Super Victor 2 intake manifold.
Monty Smith Perf nitrous plate kit (380hp).

Speier Racing Heads VFactor Profiler v2.70PF 250cc.

You can see here, they are bad SOB's for 23* SBC.

http://www.vfactorracingheads.com/vfactor-23ordm-sbc.html

Jesel Shaft Mount Rocker Arms 1.7 ratio.
Trend 3/8" .165 wall pushrods.
Morel .903 roller lifters w/pressure fed axles.
Comp Cams 6100 Belt Drive

Mike Jones Camshaft custom ground to my specs.
332/348 @ .020
282/294 @ .050
.472/.465 lobe lift
.802/.790 lift w/ 1.7
113 LSA 108 ICL

GZ Motor Sports Super Pro Vacuum Pump.
Stahl Headers 2" primary tubes into 3.5" collector.
Schonfield 3.5" inlet/outlet bullet mufflers.
Exhaust will be made by me from some 3.5" mandrel bends.

At this point everything is set in stone (ordered and most is already here or being mfgr'd infact) except the rocker arms. The cyl head supplier may be able to get me a better deal on some rockers from LGM Engineering and they are 1.65 ratio which will lower the lift on the cam to .770ish but that really depends on how much money they save me over the Jesel's once my heads are ready.

This motor should rock. The real hold back will be the 4150 carburator. We are still looking to make just over 700HP on motor. My Engine Analyzer shows a good bit more power than that but I don't want to get excited about a computer program.... Peak power should come in right at 7500 rpm.

I hope you guys are learning something from all this.
Will
Posted on: 2013/12/9 19:26

pianoguy Re: Season's over and time to rebuild.
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Lookin' great so far - I'll bet the first fire-up will result in a huge grin!
Posted on: 2013/12/9 19:43

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Whoops! Almost forgot to update on the car itself.

Saturday I was able (with some help) to get the interior dissassembled and the car ready to go to the chassis shop which will be this weekend (15 Dec).

What a PITA. The dash is made up of 3-4 seperate peices and all that plastic is razor sharp. I am gutting this thing to get as much weight as I can out of it.

The main wiring harness behind the dash is HUGE... I really want to cut it up and get rid of everything but the headlights, turn signals and brake lights but that may be more electrical than I can figure out.

The center consol wouldn't come out no matter what I did and I just left it instead of breaking it.

The factory carpet is super heavy in these cars... it's backed by some type of heavy rubber. I may have to do something else with new lightweight carpet of some sort when it goes back together.

A guy is comming this week to remove the windshield as I need a new one anyway (cracked). The previous owner removed the heater/AC box but left all the ducting and left the defroster switch box/door assy in the middle of the dash. I already got rid of all the ducting but plan to get the defroster box/door once the glass is removed... it's really jammed back there behind the massive alum dash brace/crash bar.

Also the rear speaker boxes are lined with that rubber mat... any idea how to pull it out? I have managed to cut the front half out but the rear half is not budging... looks like it was preformed peice and dropped in before that top pannel was riveted on.
Will
Posted on: 2013/12/9 19:50

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I assume this is the 84? the seats must come out... there are screws about where the seat belt latches are that hold the side covers in place.

there are a few screws around the edges of the console, inside and under the carpet (if so equipped).

The headlights are not hard to isolate. All their wiring goes out of the firewall above your left foot. The rest of that loom is for the dash and computer crap.

Just follow what comes off the IP to the old ECM area, and back... Same with the DIC... I assume you are running analog gauges? Then run fresh wire to them! that garbage was bad when new, it's downright evil now, so run new wire!

Posted on: 2013/12/9 20:30

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I assume this is the 84? the seats must come out... there are screws about where the seat belt latches are that hold the side covers in place.

there are a few screws around the edges of the console, inside and under the carpet (if so equipped).

The headlights are not hard to isolate. All their wiring goes out of the firewall above your left foot. The rest of that loom is for the dash and computer crap.

Just follow what comes off the IP to the old ECM area, and back... Same with the DIC... I assume you are running analog gauges? Then run fresh wire to them! that garbage was bad when new, it's downright evil now, so run new wire!

Yea it's the 84.

I found the screws by the floorboard near the seats... also the screws under the consol lid... Pretty sure I got all them but the SOB just dosen't want to budge and I don't want to tear it up... besides I think the builder can work around it so I'm just gonna leave it.

I noticed just quick tracing after I got the dash apart that the light switch harness goes into the big dash harness and all that shit goes across the car into the fuse box.... some of it goes thru the pannel at the firewall.

Looks like a nightmare to unwind and take apart. Plus there are some relays (maybe 2 or 3) that were right in the center behind the DIC in alittle plastic box... what are those for?

Yep I have all new Mechanical Autometer Gauges....

I am going to make a filler pannel for the DIC and the DIC switch pannel areas of the dash. Going to put gauges in each (Engine Vacuum, Trans Temp, Nitrous Pressure).

I already have a filler pannel where the Radio was that holds (2) gauges (Water Temp & Oil P).

I also already have a filler pannel below that one (where the factory climate Control stuff was) that holds my switch pannel for the Fan, Water Pump, Fuel Pump, Nitrous Arm, Nitrous Purge...

The only thing is all the key switch wiring is still hooked up as is the factory altenator wiring... so the car fires up with the factory key and I'd really like to keep that if I can... goes a long ways to saying "Real Street Car" .

BTW I hate electrical stuff.... took me months after I bought the car to finally get the nerve up to get rid of the MSD 6AL and MDS timing computer and then rewire it for the Mallory 685 ignition....
Will
Posted on: 2013/12/9 20:47

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

My new K1 Technologies Connecting rods just got here.

This is a 5.850 long rod, 2.100 journal, .927 pin, ARP 2000 bolts. Weight is 627 grams.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/IMG_20131211_194501_zpscafb4bf4.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Of the imported connecting rods out there, these are the best for material and workmanship IMO. I really would have liked to put a USA made set of rods in the engine but the cost difference was just too much.

With new parts arriving every day, it's hard to not get excited. I can't wait to get this engine machined, assembled and on the dyno.

Just in case some of you guys are wondering about what it takes to build something like this money wise.

I'm looking at my invoices for all the parts:

ONLY PARTS cost on this engine is going to be a little over $9,000.00 and I already owned the Dart block (another $1900), QFT carburator ($750), Mini Starter, MSD dizzy, Deadenbear Elect water pump....

IF I had to pay for machine work (glad dads in the business) there would be another $1200 in machine work to the block, and crankshaft.

Then another $1,000 in a days worth of dyno time.
Will
Posted on: 2013/12/12 14:44

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

where are those con rods made? And what are they made of? I mean, they weigh barely a pound. that's amazing.

I like USA, too, but I have learned that Japan, Taiwan, Australia, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Canada are all world class.
Posted on: 2013/12/12 16:47

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Unfortunatly they are mostly made in CHINA... the final fitting and final sizing is done here in the USA.

The only good thing is that K1 Tech was bought out by Dover-PMI Group which also owns Innovate, Wiseco Pistons and JE Pistons. In fact these rods were sold to me on a deal from my Rep at Wiseco Pistons... But as far as Dover-PMI, as a whole they own alot of big names in the racing world and so far they have proven to keep a very tight leash on their overseas factory QC.

They are made from E4340 Billet material.

Here is more info on Dover-PMI.

http://www.pmi-brands.com/AboutUs.aspx

Orginally K1 was started by a guy named Tom Molnar. He worked at Oliver connecting rods for a long time... Started K1 and then sold it to Dover-PMI.

Will

Posted on: 2013/12/12 18:00

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Yea it's the 84.

I found the screws by the floorboard near the seats... also the screws under the consol lid... Pretty sure I got all them but the SOB just dosen't want to budge and I don't want to tear it up... besides I think the builder can work around it so I'm just gonna leave it.

I noticed just quick tracing after I got the dash apart that the light switch harness goes into the big dash harness and all that shit goes across the car into the fuse box.... some of it goes thru the pannel at the firewall.

Looks like a nightmare to unwind and take apart. Plus there are some relays (maybe 2 or 3) that were right in the center behind the DIC in alittle plastic box... what are those for?

Yep I have all new Mechanical Autometer Gauges....

I am going to make a filler pannel for the DIC and the DIC switch pannel areas of the dash. Going to put gauges in each (Engine Vacuum, Trans Temp, Nitrous Pressure).

I already have a filler pannel where the Radio was that holds (2) gauges (Water Temp & Oil P).

I also already have a filler pannel below that one (where the factory climate Control stuff was) that holds my switch pannel for the Fan, Water Pump, Fuel Pump, Nitrous Arm, Nitrous Purge...

The only thing is all the key switch wiring is still hooked up as is the factory altenator wiring... so the car fires up with the factory key and I'd really like to keep that if I can... goes a long ways to saying "Real Street Car" .

BTW I hate electrical stuff.... took me months after I bought the car to finally get the nerve up to get rid of the MSD 6AL and MDS timing computer and then rewire it for the Mallory 685 ignition....
Will

those relay's... lemme think... one is for the bose, IIRC... the other might be fuel pump, but I don't think so. I will have to dbl check.

The thing with the wiring, if you take out the engine harness, follow it to and fro from the ecu to the IP, that will clear out about half the wires. the other half are for lighting and such. And yes, they go across to the fuse panel and back! Sorry to say.

Posted on: 2013/12/12 18:15

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
Unfortunatly they are mostly made in CHINA... the final fitting and final sizing is done here in the USA.

The only good thing is that K1 Tech was bought out by Dover-PMI Group which also owns Innovate, Wiseco Pistons and JE Pistons. In fact these rods were sold to me on a deal from my Rep at Wiseco Pistons... But as far as Dover-PMI, as a whole they own alot of big names in the racing world and so far they have proven to keep a very tight leash on their overseas factory QC.

They are made from E4340 Billet material.

Here is more info on Dover-PMI.

http://www.pmi-brands.com/AboutUs.aspx

Orginally K1 was started by a guy named Tom Molnar. He worked at Oliver connecting rods for a long time... Started K1 and then sold it to Dover-PMI.

Will

I don't blame China for it's QC... I blame cheap assed companies requesting bad QC. They can make world class if asked to.

And if they expect to survive as a global mfg source, they will need to raise their game... just like the Japanese did.
Posted on: 2013/12/12 18:16

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

great build up

appreciate all the photos
Posted on: 2013/12/12 18:30

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

I don't blame China for it's QC... I blame cheap assed companies requesting bad QC. They can make world class if asked to.

And if they expect to survive as a global mfg source, they will need to raise their game... just like the Japanese did.

I'm with you 100% on this.

The Chinese CAN build nice stuff... these K1 Technoligies rods and also the Callies Compstar line are good examples.

We will see how long the good of these companies last.
Will
Posted on: 2013/12/12 19:00

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
great build up

appreciate all the photos

I'm glad you like it Brian.

I am not going to document every step, as I don't have time to do that but I will cover the parts I use and the technical info about the engine.

I did want to show everyone what I have been running, engine wise in the car, so people can get a feel for what it takes to run these kind of numbers.

Getting the car in the 9's with that pump gas 427 was really easy... but getting it down to 9.20's was pretty difficult.

It actually took more chassis and driveline tuning than engine tuning...

Getting it in the mid to low 8's for next season is going to be a big task. I have no doubts what so ever that I'll make the needed HP but the chassis is going to be the key.

I'll also show everyone my new cage once it's completed. The guy doing it is a wonderful chassis builder. His work is flawless and I'll really be proud to show off the fact that I own something of that caliber.

Will
Posted on: 2013/12/12 19:25

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

when I raced RC cars, it was always that last 10th of a second that cost the most.

Posted on: 2013/12/13 0:05

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

My new Headers arrived on Christmas Eve....

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/IMG_20131224_182410_zpsb70de8a8.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

These are monsters compared to what you guys are use to seeing.

2" primary tube
3.5" collector

Jere and Judy Stahl were wonderful to deal with on these.
Will
Posted on: 2013/12/26 13:30

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

great news

I posted over at the "other forum"

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-te ... ltx-6.html#post1585762745

Guy wanted to know about large primary headers and it went "off on a tangent"
Posted on: 2013/12/26 18:16

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
great news

I posted over at the "other forum"

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-te ... ltx-6.html#post1585762745

Guy wanted to know about large primary headers and it went "off on a tangent"

It is CF...

Some of those guys should just start every thread reply with "JUST PUT A LSX IN IT".... LOL.

Will
Posted on: 2013/12/26 19:43

BillH Re: Season's over and time to rebuild.
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
My new Headers arrived on Christmas Eve....

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/IMG_20131224_182410_zpsb70de8a8.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

These are monsters compared to what you guys are use to seeing.

2" primary tube
3.5" collector

Jere and Judy Stahl were wonderful to deal with on these.
Will

Wow, one of the last sets?

Really an end of an era.

I'd tell you what year I first stood in Jere's shop but...

My home town BTW,
Posted on: 2013/12/27 13:53

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Really an end of an era.

My home town BTW,

Hard to say... both Jere and Judy told me the new orders for headers have been going crazy.

Jere is in his 70s and has run that shop since the early 1960s, so he definitely deserves retirement if he wants it, but the racing world will be sad to see him close the doors. I wonder about the shop employees as well.

This is the 2nd set of headers I have bought from them... But my racing only goes back to the early 90s.
Will
Posted on: 2013/12/27 23:58

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Nice progress, Will. Looks like you scored some deals on the crank, etc!
Posted on: 2013/12/28 1:00

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

Really an end of an era.

My home town BTW,

Hard to say... both Jere and Judy told me the new orders for headers have been going crazy.

Jere is in his 70s and has run that shop since the early 1960s, so he definitely deserves retirement if he wants it, but the racing world will be sad to see him close the doors. I wonder about the shop employees as well.

This is the 2nd set of headers I have bought from them... But my racing only goes back to the early 90s.
Will

Their website says 2013 will be the end, maybe Jere will hang in there a while.

I was in his shop in the late 60's.

We also ran Herb Gebler's "Torque Tuned Headers" (Beltsville,Md.)
Herb built a lot of headers for Richard Petty.
Posted on: 2013/12/28 3:37

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Just wanted to update on our progress with the engine - which has been a big hold up because of parts.

I got the cyl heads from Chad Speier Thursday. Impressive work is all I can say.

Some pleminary mock up work on the short block revelad the K1 Technology rods were hitting the camshaft... which is to be expected but this was some pretty serious contact and I didn't want to grind away a bunch of the rod bolt threads to clear the cam and that was what was going to have to happen if I countinued down this road and used the K1 Technology rods.

I spent my new carb money on a set of Callies Ultra XD billet steel rods.... Almost $1400 worth. Made from a special 4330 Timkin Bearing steel and made in the USA. Very nice rods. Splayed bolts and an offset cap end for extra cam clearance.

Good news is the Calllies Ultra XD's cleared the camshaft with .055 to spare.

Bad news is it will be next season before I can afford to buy that C&S Aersol Billet carb I have been wanting.

I also did a pleminary mock up on my rocker geometry and piston to valve clearance....

(1) I need more shims for the Jesel Rockers. You need really long valves to get .800 liftin a 23* SBC and the shims that came with the rockers were close but I still need to raise the stand height up to get the proper rocker geometry.

(2) The exhaust valve hits the piston starting at 20* BTDC and all the way to 2* BTDC.... took .045 lash just to get it to clear barely. So we are going to fly cut .125 off the piston which should give me .080 piston to valve and with the actual valve lash lash and defletion it should open up to .100 or so.

Once the pistons are fly cut we can balance the rotating assy and then assemble the short block.

Things are getting there.
Will
Posted on: 2014/4/7 14:36

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

It's gonna rock, Will
Posted on: 2014/4/7 14:48

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

All I have to say is it's a good thing you are building that engine instead of me!
Posted on: 2014/4/7 15:47

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
All I have to say is it's a good thing you are building that engine instead of me!

All I wish is that someone else was paying for it.
Will
Posted on: 2014/4/7 18:36

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Couple Pics.

New Speier racing Heads V Factor 2.70 Profiler

250cc Intake runner. Flows 350CFM. 2.125 size Intake Valve.

Intake Port.
[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/photo%201_zps9u0f3p0r.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Exhaust port.
[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/photo%202_zpsasyms8rc.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Jesel Rockers.
[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/photo%203_zpssk1gccap.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

I didn't take any pics of the new Callies Ultra XD rods this trip.... I was really consumed with fitting parts and figuring out clearances as fast as possible. Will get some pics of the bottom end stuff next trip.
Will
Posted on: 2014/4/7 18:57

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

One more Pic.

You can see the K1 Technology rod hitting the camshaft here..... (If you look in the mirror).

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/photo%201_zpspsgwkobo.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Looking at where it's hitting on the cam lobe and how much lobe is left to go, you can get an idea of how much material would have had to come off the shoulder and bolt of that rod to clear the cam lobe.... way more than I was confortable grinding off a rod thats gonna be used in a 700+hp and 8,000RPM engine.

Will
Posted on: 2014/4/7 19:14

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Sounds like you made the right decision
Posted on: 2014/4/7 22:32

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Brother called me today and he got a piston fly cut... he is going to mock it up tonight or tomorrow and figure out if my guesstimate of .125 is enough.

If it gives enough piston to valve clearance he is cleared hot to cut the other (7) pistons, weigh everything and balance the crank.

I got the extra shims ordered from Jesel yesterday (should arrive this week).

Only one part for the engine left to order... PUSHRODS! Once the Jesel shims arrive he can mock the rockers back up and re-figure rocker geometry and pushrod length out. Then I'll order the pushrods.

Hope to be ready for assembly next week or week after sometime. Dyno shortly after.
Will
Posted on: 2014/4/8 20:14

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

My new Diamond Nitrous Piston cut on the exhaust side for additional piston to valve clearance.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-04/photo_zpsqxehgkfo.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Now to see if we cut enough....

Will

Posted on: 2014/4/9 18:12

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

How think are the tops?
Posted on: 2014/4/9 21:54

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

you like keeping things close, eh?
Posted on: 2014/4/9 21:58

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Good news.

Piston to valve now measures .082 mechanical and about .098 using clay.... right where it needs to be.

Brian
These pistons are about .200 thick at the thinnest point....

Andy
The idea is to keep the piston as strong as possibe for obvious reasons. Also keep the dome as big and valve reliefs as small as possible for as much compression as possible.

My bro got the rocker stand height figured out and rocker geometry fixed up. Pushrod length is gonna be 8.0 inches. Now I got to buy some pushrods.

Hopefully the rest of the pistons will be cut and everything balanced in the next few days.
Will
Posted on: 2014/4/10 1:50

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Will cutting the piston affect the balance as far as when it is rotating? Will it want to drift to one side more?
Posted on: 2014/4/10 2:49

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Will cutting the piston affect the balance as far as when it is rotating? Will it want to drift to one side more?

No.

Posted on: 2014/4/10 12:36

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Are you still expecting the 1000hp range? A bit higher? Lower?

The dyno numbers will be sick, no matter what!
Posted on: 2014/4/10 18:02

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Are you still expecting the 1000hp range? A bit higher? Lower?

The dyno numbers will be sick, no matter what!

I will be happy if it dyno's anything over 700HP normally aspriated....

In all reality it will probally make a bit more than that.....

But the engine is not really cammed or configured in the slightest for max HP normally aspriated so I am keeping my expectations in check.

Nitrous engines are all about how much nitrous you can get them to burn.... 2X more energy in NO2 than just O2. When you build an engine in this manner they tend to be very inefficient without the NO2.

All the disclaimers aside I would very much like to see my little 434 break 700HP NA just because thats a pretty serious number for a true 23* SBC....

Will
Posted on: 2014/4/10 20:24

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Just wanted to show my new gauge and switch pannel I built for the center dash.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/IMG_20140315_170505_zps69bufstm.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

The gauges are 2 5/8" Autometer Sport Comps and the switches are Fastronix lighted rockers. Really nice products.... The filler pannel is just 1/8th lexan that I cut to fit behind the dash fascia cover. Painted on the backside so it will never scratch and always look nice.

Of course with the removable steering wheel this year I had to move the Tack to where the factory tach was located.... I'm still working on a filler pannel to make it look nice but I was making sure once I removed the factory gauge cluster that it would fit in there and not interfere with anything.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/IMG_20140315_170407_zpsa2rqjliy.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

You can also see my Turbo Action Cheetah shifter and air shifter assy that I fitted to the stock center console last year.

Sorry for the wiring mess in the passenger floor but we were actually working on it, when I snapped the pics. Hope to be able to get the electronics board all fit in the floor there soon... just a peice of lexan with my iginition box, various relays, shifter control, ground and power blocks located on it.

I do have some pics of the new roll cage located here:

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rkles ... 4641463207412754119266514

But they are all fabrication shots and I'll take some of the car now that everything is painted, the carbon fiber bar protectors on and the interior is all put back in it. Looks great so I'll take some pics this weekend for you guys.

Will
Posted on: 2014/4/25 17:23

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Oh, Forget to mention I now have most everything needed to build my new exhaust system.

All exhaust piping is 3.5" T304 stainless steel from MBRP.

I have 3.5" Dynomax Race Bullet mini mufflers but they are the lesser T409 stainless material.

With dual 3.5" exhaust It's going to be a TIGHT fit in the tunnel......

I hope to have my new stainless welding and fabrication table today. This weekend I'll re-arrange the garage so I can start some welding work... need the engine and headers in the car to get the important exhaust fitting stuff done - so all I'll be able to do is weld the turn downs on the mufflers - but it's a start and gives me a reason to fire up my new TIG welder.
Will
Posted on: 2014/4/25 17:43

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Progress on the engine.

Rods and Pistons ready for assembly.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/photo_zps0oexmsba.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Short block going together.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/image_zpseephtjka.jpeg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

A couple from the bottom.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/photo%203_zpswtdv3dsf.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/photo%202_zpsfvhuzffv.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Cam Belt Drive installed.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/photo%202_zpsxxh1cfdj.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Will
Posted on: 2014/5/19 12:43

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Hey Will, if you need some advice on assembling that motor just let me know

The red (aluminum?) part on the front...is that the timing gear itself or some type of cam retainer or what?
Posted on: 2014/5/21 12:14

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.