Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
238 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Z15
A Collector Edition, RPO Z15.

1996 only.

Silver with black, red or grey interior.

LT1/A4 or LT4/ZF6....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pappyfreebird yo bros
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

sup in vet werld heyhuh
well finally warm nuff to pull 97 c5 out n batterys toast ill save that headache readin story..agm 120 reserve yr ol told by po..n junque wont hold charge..ain thrilled with it he saez his second like this n did same 9fegit name auto value (mabee partsmaster ) wuds a good battery ..she run most daze in summer sits all winter ,,do have a tender kin use..lemme know fellas i wants one like now
Posted on: 2014/5/21 17:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: yo bros
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Optima. Works great.

Welcome back, Pappy!
Posted on: 2014/5/21 18:03

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: yo bros
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Everyone has their own preference...I like Interstate. I have used Duralast from Autozone with good luck, too. Some guys like WalMart batteries of all things. Can't go wrong with Optima like Andy said.

There is a chance your battery was relatively new and died because you didn't have it on a float charger. The battery should have a sticker on it for either manufacture or install date.
Posted on: 2014/5/21 19:15

pianoguy Re: yo bros
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I just replaced a Fleet Farm battery that lasted almost 9 years (I keep a tender on it over the winter). I bought a Duralast to replace it, mostly because I was too lazy to drive all the way out to the Fleet Farm store.
Posted on: 2014/5/21 19:42

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Ultraman Re: yo bros
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14729 Posts

I just get a good AC Delco replacement battery....I have had good luck with them. I shop around to find the best deal....I do not buy them from Chevy..
Posted on: 2014/5/21 20:27

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

pappyfreebird Re: yo bros
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

thanks all you guys..seems i lost ya now have new place bookmarked har sarry but git yer bayer asprins out wahahahaha
yea dude sez batteyr was new ..i kept eye on it tell started droppin past 12.5 then unhooked it lasted most winter then 2 amped it n seemd ok then started drop again so i gots new shumakkar 1.5 float..but couple daze off it n she looses power so fug it ..i will pop fer one n then float it in winter..but im cheap n want best fer nuttin i rekon...was a agm partsmaster 785 with 120 reserve..now i read horror stories bout leaks etc in c5s..so figure agm again..but somplace seaid 80 minutes others sez must have 120 reserve..headed to parts house to see ifn will cut me sum slsck wid this one..they know me n po owner
Posted on: 2014/5/21 20:34

Ultraman Re: yo bros
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14729 Posts

TeeBee is up on the battery info for the C5's....I know they need a lot of power to run stuff and the first thing folks ask when weird things happen to the car is have you had your battery checked.....glad you found us Pappy....
Posted on: 2014/5/21 21:32

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Matatk Re: yo bros
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

If the battery is dying while not on the tender within a few days I would be looking for an electrical draw in the vehicle draining the battery.
Posted on: 2014/5/22 2:13

teebee Re: yo bros
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12359 Posts

pappy, make sure the battery that you put in has all the correct specs. That 120 reserve, is important. many problems with the C5 can be traced back to batteries that don't meet specifications.

This information comes from, maybe, the top Corvette mechanic in the country.

Quote:
Just an FYI to this thread, the GM ACDelco brand has changed battery designation.

The new battery for this car is a 78PS, which stands for PROFESSIONAL SILVER.

Do NOT GET THE GOLD, it has a lower reserve capacity.

You need a battery that has (minimum) 700CCA and 120RC (Reserve Capacity)

Here's a video I took at a seminar about Column Lock issues that are common in C5's. But he talks a lot about the importance of choosing the right battery.

Posted on: 2014/5/22 2:19

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

pappyfreebird Re: yo bros
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

thanks bruthas,,,i ended up wid same as had masterparts agm 120 res. 162$ take home wid me parts discount..cars been fine ..n biggest thang po owner said new ,,well yea like in 08 n he nevar drove car n no trickler so good guess it were all in toasted battery..do have me a 1.5 float will use this winter..fer now i hope to drive it..do hafta mention i gots busted pullin inta werk uddar mornin 545 am nobody thar i all alone n big open parkin lots (dayum straight fellas) i stepped er down a bit n spun me couple loueeess n then fug thars a car facin me..i stopped backed up down lot to be away fum burn zone n parked ,,a secretary gits out sayun wow that was so cool really cool..i sez hey sarry i dint evin sees ya i werent showin off yous jus plain witnessed addicition..yea addiction ta g forces..we went to werk...i dont run car hard at all but once in awhilst heyhuh
Posted on: 2014/5/24 16:25

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.