Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Dana 44
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 1996...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

KPotter Convertible Concerns and Questions
Elite Guru
Cuyahoga Falls OH
1072 Posts

As you all know I have been looking for a C5 coupe. I have had some concerns about a convertible causing me to not consider one. Here are the questions I need to address if I were to open up to one.

1. How long can I expect a top to last?
2. How difficult are the tops to clean and maintain? Remember I go to a lot of racetracks, this thing will get dirty and need regular baths.
3. How noisy are they when closed?
4. Can you think of anything else that should concern me?
Posted on: 2014/5/23 2:01

vetteblondie Re: Convertible Concerns and Questions
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4631 Posts

Mine is an '02 - been carport kept - top is black - hasn't faded - mine is cloth - glass window. No issues - Noise? Well it's fabric so it's not sound proof - For me? I've always wanted one, when I had a coupe with removable top, I'd take the top off soon as it was warm and never put it back on till winter - yes I'm nuts. I'll never go back if I don't have to - depends on what you like. I wash mine with the rest of the car, nothing fancy - I'm at 118k miles and it looks just fine.
Posted on: 2014/5/23 2:38

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Convertible Concerns and Questions
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Ken - I don't have a convertible now but if I ever got another car, that's what it would be.

If you are concerned about cleaning, here are some tips:

http://www.autogeek.net/covtopplas.html

I think the longevity of the tops is very good. I don't think you have too much to worry about there. Can't be any worse that the acrylic targa tops that occasionally need replacement. So I think it's a wash.
Posted on: 2014/5/23 14:35

bogus Re: Convertible Concerns and Questions
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

since NelsonV hasn't chimed in, I will speak from my experiences of using his 98 roadster.

IIRC, it's at about 170k on the original top. It has a few wear points, but it is black and still looks good.

The seals are a bit more iffy, perhaps, it does dribble a bit, but all Vettes leak some...

It is a bit louder, but not that bad. it's also very easy to put up and take down. And the chassis integrity is excellent. Not much cowl shake and limited shimmy.

All in all, not a bad way to go, really.
Posted on: 2014/5/23 19:38

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Ultraman Re: Convertible Concerns and Questions
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14706 Posts

I have been thinking of getting a Roadster but want a chrome bumper car.....C3.....maybe a 73 would work. I really want a 72 BB.....could you get a BB in a Roadster?

That's all I ever had back in the day and loved them. The downside was no place to put stuff if top was down. The newer cars have a trunk to put stuff in. I looked over Joe's GS Vert the other day when I saw him and it looked real fine....

Will keep my GS for serious road work.....I can pack it really full of stuff....Joe said he would never go back to a coupe....he loved the vert.
Posted on: 2014/5/23 20:54

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

TommyT-Bone Re: Convertible Concerns and Questions
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

You can always offset top noises by installing a performance exhaust system. There are top care products (RaggTopp) that I use that clean and protect the top. They are easy to clean and maintain. Most dirt and dust will just rinse away. Of course you can forget about driving through an automated car wash. Do Vette people do that? I think there is more protection in a rollover with a hard top. (IMO) You can't do Drivers Education on a course in a ragtop without a roll bar. That should be a consideration if you want to use your car for everything it's worth. You might just want to do that a time or two. Dropping the top is good for those days when you want kids to say "Hey, look at that old dude driving that nice Corvette.". It's also cool so you can say " Hey, look at all those chicks checking me out.". Verts also look good in the reflection of clean glass on a building.
Posted on: 2014/5/23 21:11

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
I have been thinking of getting a Roadster but want a chrome bumper car.....C3.....maybe a 73 would work. I really want a 72 BB.....could you get a BB in a Roadster?

That's all I ever had back in the day and loved them. The downside was no place to put stuff if top was down. The newer cars have a trunk to put stuff in. I looked over Joe's GS Vert the other day when I saw him and it looked real fine....

Will keep my GS for serious road work.....I can pack it really full of stuff....Joe said he would never go back to a coupe....he loved the vert.

yes... a BB was available... remember, those cars are body on frame, so the frame was the structure...
Posted on: 2014/5/23 21:24

j3studio Re: Convertible Concerns and Questions
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4245 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

There are top care products (RaggTopp) that I use that clean and protect the top.

The only product that Dave Hill recommended to us when we picked up our 50th Anniversary convertible at the Museum. We'll vouch that it works well.

To answer the original poster's questions:

1) At least 10 years/45,000 miles, just from our experience.

2) Keep on top of the cleaning and you'll be fine.

3) We can cruise comfortably at 75 mph. Over that, things get louder, but not ridiculous. In the immortal words of a Corvette engineer, "The top is rated to 170 mph. After that, you are on your own."

4) Just be ready to talk to a lot of folks ... remember - "What the Corvette convertible is—always has been—is a fantasy car of large proportions, head-turning shape, stunning acceleration and vivid romanticism. It is a car of dreams and it announces to the world like nothing else just what your dreams are.”  Steve Kimball

Posted on: 2014/5/24 2:08

Louis, 2012 Centennial Edition Coupe

bobges Re: Convertible Concerns and Questions
Senior Guru
Bushkill PA
254 Posts

Great on a beautiful day
Posted on: 2014/5/24 14:24

TommyT-Bone Re: Convertible Concerns and Questions
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote:
4) Just be ready to talk to a lot of folks ... remember - "What the Corvette convertible is—always has been—is a fantasy car of large proportions, head-turning shape, stunning acceleration and vivid romanticism. It is a car of dreams and it announces to the world like nothing else just what your dreams are.”  Steve Kimball

Funny, that's what I was thinkin.
Posted on: 2014/5/24 15:34

NelsonV Re: Convertible Concerns and Questions
Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

I agree with all of the above. My ride is 16 years old, about 180kmi.

I've never used any special products or washed/dried/treated it any differently than the rest of the exterior.

The leaks Andy speaks of are more attributed to the alignment of the door windows to the seals on the top frame, not the convertible top itself.

As for noise, it's not as loud as my Big Block Chevelle that has no top at all (and sometimes no mufflers ) I just turn up the stereo. But I'd recommend bumming a ride in someone's Roadster for your own subjective analysis.

One other thing... The rear glass did come unattached a couple years ago. Not completely, but it did start to peel away. Quick, easy fix with Gorilla glue that has so far held up. Research tells me it's somewhere between common and uncommon.
Posted on: 2014/5/24 18:46

NelsonV Re: Convertible Concerns and Questions
Senior Guru
Sunny Southern CA
245 Posts

...also, if you were unaware, the trunk space is very good for a two-seater I was at the rifle range a few weeks ago unloading my gear. Some guy that was walking past just had to stop and gawk at how much stuff was coming out of my trunk!
Posted on: 2014/5/24 18:52

vetteblondie Re: Convertible Concerns and Questions
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4631 Posts

Quote:

NelsonV wrote:
I agree with all of the above. My ride is 16 years old, about 180kmi.

I've never used any special products or washed/dried/treated it any differently than the rest of the exterior.

The leaks Andy speaks of are more attributed to the alignment of the door windows to the seals on the top frame, not the convertible top itself.

As for noise, it's not as loud as my Big Block Chevelle that has no top at all (and sometimes no mufflers ) I just turn up the stereo. But I'd recommend bumming a ride in someone's Roadster for your own subjective analysis.

One other thing... The rear glass did come unattached a couple years ago. Not completely, but it did start to peel away. Quick, easy fix with Gorilla glue that has so far held up. Research tells me it's somewhere between common and uncommon.

I had the rear glass problem with mine coming loose - I took it to the guys that does the windshield stuff for us at our tint shop - they reinstalled it for me and whatever they used looks just like what the factory did - that was a year and half ago - still holding up just fine -
leaks for me is same as you state here - not the top itself but window alignment
Posted on: 2014/5/24 19:20

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Ken... I have an idea...

Expand your search... hear me out... expand it to my area.

I can easily find you the right car and at a better price than you would find in Ohio. Remember, more Vette's here. And the weather is kinder to them.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sa ... listingId=371056939&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sa ... listingId=370612263&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sa ... listingId=348593969&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sa ... listingId=369597707&Log=0

I rather like the last one... most unmolested car of the lot, at a GREAT price and the mileage isn't bad... and I rather like the silver/tan combo. Different but classic at the same time.

This is drifting into bad time to buy a Vette, too. The best time to buy is Sept/Oct/Nov... that's when people are desperate to sell.

Think of it this way... fly out one way ticket, drive back. You can even crash on our couch.

Posted on: 2014/5/25 2:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.