Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
205 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

96LT4CE Cubic feet a C4 Coupe
Guru Newb
NWI
112 Posts

Anyone delete the targa top storage optionin their coupe in order to gain volume for their sub box?
If so what is the cubic feet available back there?

i'm looking to maximize space and am willing to give up the storage for more cubes.

To do it right I will probably end up with a single sub set up but if I do it will be the right single sub.

TIA

Posted on: 2014/6/5 4:23

Matatk Re: Cubic feet a C4 Coupe
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Pretty much no one does that. Almost every custom box either sits on the floor area of the hatch or some people use the storage bin to have a top firing single sub.

http://www.corvetteforum.guru/modules ... hp?topic_id=11093&forum=2

http://www.corvetteforum.guru/modules ... hp?topic_id=11077&forum=2
Posted on: 2014/6/5 13:21

bogus Re: Cubic feet a C4 Coupe
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

to give you an idea... that much box would be in the area of about 4^3....

You don't need nearly that much space... 1.25^3 is about max these days for a really killer sub...

Posted on: 2014/6/5 15:17

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

96LT4CE Re: Cubic feet a C4 Coupe
Guru Newb
NWI
112 Posts

Those are the exact installs I don't want. In both of those either the drivers used performed to the standard of the owner and happen to fit in small space or the owner has compromised the install to accommodate the integrity/originality of the vehicle. Compromise is a harsh word to use since the install only needs to make the owner happy and not others, so if the owner is happy then mission accomplished.

In my application I am looking for loud, above 145db, and low, under 35hz. With that said I need airspace, and 2 cubic feet isn't going to be enough.
I own a term lab so measuring my output is no problem. The e series and id subs used in those installs require little air space and are sealed.
I have W7 subs and Sundown X and Z series subs.

I'll have a build log for my install when I get around to it. I'll be running boston pro series Mids and highs with a lot of other good stuff, but right now I'm focused on the bass. By eliminating the ability to put the targa in the back I'm hoping for at least 4 cubic feet of usable space.
Posted on: 2014/6/5 15:18

Guru Newb
NWI
112 Posts

If you run in the circle I do running subs that take big airspace is the norm.

I have some older round 15" kicker soli barics that only need 1.5 cubes rack and sound awesome! The just don't play as loud as I like!
To put it in perspective I plan on running a minimum of 2.5k to just the sub in my set up
Posted on: 2014/6/5 15:24

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

ok. now you got my attention.

I am currently running 2 JL Audio 8w7's in 2 sealed .85^3 boxes... these little bastards HIT and hit hard.

Powering them is a Pioneer 1 ohm stable amp, 600 watts. Right now, I screwed up the wiring and put them in series, but I need to redo them in parallel... also need to redo the box, because I was reusing old material, it didn't work as I had hoped.

Regardless, these bastards hit.

May I suggest a single JL Audio 8w13? Put 1000 watts behind that and you will see God. I know that sub, sealed, will dip below 35hz...

In my opinion, the days of huge boxes have been replaced by better more efficient subs... A friend once had a 15" Orion in a 1.75^3 ported, 4th order band pass box. This thing was insane... but it hit no harder than my pair of 8w7's do... and they are turned down!!!

To be honest, those installs are not compromises... they are the modern reality of better subs, working in smaller spaces.
Posted on: 2014/6/5 15:47

Guru Newb
NWI
112 Posts

Are you running the GM-D or PRS series amp?

I'm not sure I agree 100% with you on the better subs working in smaller spaces comment being the modern reality. Small space big sound has been around since at least the mid 1990's when Kicker introduced the Solo Baric line. I installed car audio in a couple shops in Chicago from 1993 - 1998 and saw my fair share of installs. Even the W7 line from JL hasn't undergone any significant change since its inception, and that's been 10 years. With that said the biggest downfall to any subwoofer it's the installation. I've seen many a "great" sub sound like crap because it was loaded into a pre fab box or one built all wrong.

With that said, even with the excursion of a W7 ( not sure if you meant 13W7 above as I'm not familiar with an 8W13) an 8" doesn't have enough cone area to do what I want it to do, and that's move air! I LOVE sealed box enclosures. they deliver some of the best extension down low where I like it and can get loud but don't deliver the physical, not musical, effects I'm looking for.

If you know what a hair trick is that should sum it up for you, if you don't take 5 min to you tube it, it's safe for work, and have a good grin!

I love sound quality, but the inner kid in me what's loud. There's a fine line between the two and I want to straddle it. I don't think the days of big ported boxes are gone, hell.... the people I hang out with are proof of that, but I do believe that there is a distinct separation from those that are reasonable in their interpretation of what loud enough is and those like me who want 150db+

In the corvette amp wise I have a lot of choices as I have a lot of amps. I can go DC audio 5K, RF T2500bdcp or I can even go with old school PPI A1200.2 or even DSM series RF

just for kicks two summers ago I even rolled around town like this!
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/benelliman2/media/2_zps185d9d71.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]
Posted on: 2014/6/5 18:09

Guru Newb
NWI
112 Posts

here ya go, my vanity plate should sum it up for ya! lol

[URL=http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/caceres78/media/562A1DE3-E949-438E-82C3-38E408128810-2420-00000380C3606309.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]
Posted on: 2014/6/5 18:27

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

either that, or you are into rental car companies a lot.

You need to build a folded horn... heh heh heh
Posted on: 2014/6/5 18:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.