Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
233 user(s) are online (203 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Offset
The distance from the wheel mounting flange to the imaginary centerline of the wheel. Wheels with negative offset will protrude outwards more, while...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

-=Jeff=- I cannot leave it alone
Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

So I have the tablet working in my 1990

I like it but it has some faults ans issues

I still have my App Radio and have been bench testing it with an Android PC and a program called ARUr App Radio Unchained Reloaded.

The reloaded version removes the Pioneer interface completely, for a nice seemless connect and user experience

I am thinking of swapping back to the App Radio but with the Android stick and using some of the peripherals I have with the tablet. the only thing I have left to figure out is the android power source.

I am concerned with the tablet battery a bit.. going bad or swelling or such. the Android stick has no battery but not sure an abrupt off is good either. seems that the stick draws low current on idle so I could use dual Power supplies, one with more power with key on to run my items and one for key off for just the stick.

not sure yet, but looking at different options
Posted on: 2014/8/21 19:07
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: I cannot leave it alone
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the rocky road of the innovator...

lemme think...
Posted on: 2014/8/21 19:18

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

my first thought...

I would consider removing the battery internal to the tablet and running the unit directly off the cars power. It more then likely will require a stepping transformer to bring the volts down, and perhaps even a current choke... just to keep the power clean. It uses what? 5v at 1 or 2 amps? You could easily disassemble a cigarette lighter charger for it, but reverse engineer with some quality components. We all know how long those pieces of shit last...

But the upside is less heat inside the unit and no worries of a LiPo going BOOM inside the dash - which, if I am not mistaken, would suck.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 19:21

-=Jeff=- Re: I cannot leave it alone
Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

LOL..

I have a couple thoughts for the power issue.. my power supply for 5v has a programmable off delay.. so I can set that for X minutes and then figure out a way to use tasker to shut down automatically
Posted on: 2014/8/21 19:32
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
my first thought...

I would consider removing the battery internal to the tablet and running the unit directly off the cars power. It more then likely will require a stepping transformer to bring the volts down, and perhaps even a current choke... just to keep the power clean. It uses what? 5v at 1 or 2 amps? You could easily disassemble a cigarette lighter charger for it, but reverse engineer with some quality components. We all know how long those pieces of shit last...

But the upside is less heat inside the unit and no worries of a LiPo going BOOM inside the dash - which, if I am not mistaken, would suck.

Yes boom in this sense would suck. I thought of doing that, lots of options, but I know the Android devices complain with no battery data.. (when they expect it)

I posted my previous reply before seeing your 2nd one

I have some ideas and I have another Stick coming that might be more reliable but I still think the power down on key off will be something to explore
Posted on: 2014/8/21 19:38
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The tablet is a computer... shut it down, it has to reboot.

Put it to sleep, it restarts faster!
Posted on: 2014/8/21 20:48

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Well I have something...

If I go the AppRadio and Android stick:

use tasker to detect Bluetooth connection to AppRadio.

When it disconnects loop for a while (some set time) if it times out with no reconnect, run shutdown on Stick, then have the 5v PS set for a delay on key off to allow for the BT detect to run and allow shut down
Posted on: 2014/8/22 13:45
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

hm.... that might just work....
Posted on: 2014/8/22 15:32

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

messing with tasker on my phone I think it will work using the Bluetooth Detector plugin

I will hopefully test it tonight if I get a chance
Posted on: 2014/8/22 16:00
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

keep me posted!
Posted on: 2014/8/22 18:12

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Not sure the bluetooth detect will work. Getting frustrated with my current stick. I ordered a second one to try.. But a different version.

I also am not discounting the tablet. Still working out that too. There are some limitations with the tablet as well. Still figuring it all out.
Posted on: 2014/8/25 2:34
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I can appreciate that!

I still think the "auto PC" is the solution... it was the hot ticket a few years back... I think it would really rock now with SSHD tech.

Quality mobo, 500gb SSDD, running windows, using a GOOD sound card with good codexes... yum...
Posted on: 2014/8/25 17:14

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

yeah.. not sure I want windows int he car.. but everything comes with a price..

Each solution is not without faults and each have their own strengths
Posted on: 2014/8/25 18:12
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Since I had the car apart chasing an audio issue after killing a 4" speaker I did some other testing

I also was fixing this:
Resized Image

I found that there was a loose RCA, which I think will fix the Left side I was having issues with. system sounds much better. I have some new tweeters I will install this winter, might move the woofers from the back of the car to the doors and install the 8s in the rear.. since I have to remove most the interior for the new antenna wiring.

New antenna wire made the stock antenna work much better while in the garage although I still need to test it more. curious how good the HD reception is now.

Took my App Radio with Android PC out ot the car and tested a few things. Here is what I found:

- the Behringer connects and is detected, ROM defaults to this for audio, but to work correctly the output needs to be the HDMI connection. USB Input IS detected but I could not test it beyond that

- HD Tuner is not communicating, apparently the HD Tuner App requires the Serial drivers to be part of the kernel (which they are in the USB-ROM on my Nexus, so there is nothing working there yet.

- My ALDL program has the drivers as part of the program so that should not be an issue and it sees the communication device for that.

So if I have to have HD Radio, I need to keep the Nexus, if I want less wiring on the Bezels, App Radio is the better solution. With App Radio I have 2 OS, Android and then the App Radio one, I would Get AM and FM (with more FM presets) I would get iPod connectivity and if I work at it I can get phone connection too for hands free. One big issue is figuring out the power situation for the android stick .. power on/ power off etc.

With the Nexus it is all in one solution, HD tuner works but not really to my 100% satisfaction that I wanted, if I switched to the USB tuner solution I would need to find a better app suited for in car use. (Monkeyboard hardware maybe). The next plan is to eliminate the battery on the Nexus and run that from the car battery, now that I have the battery drain resolved on the nexus (one app was holding the GPS on while sleeping) I think I can do this and be comfortable with it not killing the battery over extended periods of time.

Also if I keep the nexus I think I am going to have it mount directly to my bezel and figure out how to add some buttons below it. I know what I want, just need to add it.

so as of right now my limitations:

-Nexus Battery removal
-HD Tuner/ SDR solution I really want all in one where the tablet controls the volume for everything if I get that, then I would do the tablet with this interface and call it good:

Resized Image
Posted on: 2014/8/27 15:03
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

damn... impressive, no question, but a ton of little issues that make it far less then seamless, eh?

Posted on: 2014/8/27 17:44

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

exactly.. always the little things that bite you in the ass
Posted on: 2014/8/27 18:00
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

BrianCunningham Re: I cannot leave it alone
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

can't be the 1st one to mount a tablet in a car

should be able to get all that stuff online
Posted on: 2014/8/27 21:08

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
can't be the 1st one to mount a tablet in a car

should be able to get all that stuff online

Yeah is how I got this far.. Check my other threads
Posted on: 2014/8/27 22:00
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

I ordered an arduino Uno.. not sure what ia m going to do with it yet.. Still deciding on what to do with my stereo set-up

Both the Appradio and Tablet have their good and bad.. The Developer of the program to connect an Android stick to the App radio said he may add a 10min timeout on his program to power down the stick.. that would be perfect.

removes battery concern ( even though I may do a test with a supply in place of the battery)

I just don't like the popping I get from the audio ont he tuner switching in and out as I use it

Posted on: 2014/8/29 17:18
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Working it out...

I do need to verify the datalogger will work with the Stick. but I am sort of swaying that way

here is the modded Stick with a better heatsink
BEFORE:
Resized Image

After:
Resized Image

I just added the heatsink on top of the one there.. I was unable to remove the original heatsink

I am thinking I am willing to give up the HD tuner as I notice it fades in and out anyway.. if I can ever get a reply from the guy that did it and find out if there is a way to make it work great

But the switching from it to the Tablet for music is a but annoying and I don't want it to kill speakers

On another note I will probably be installing the 8s I have in the back of the car this winter as well. I have plenty of time to work it out though
Posted on: 2014/8/30 3:57
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

the Good:
- Seems my Android PC seems to be working rather well with all the testing I am doing, I am running Finless 1.8 ROM with the added touch driver from Finless 1.6a. I am using AppRadio Unchained Reloaded

- using the USB DAC, I can pass the audio from the HD tuner out the USB DAC and control the volume on the Android ( I think the USB-Host/charging kernel is the limitation on the N7)

- ALDLDroid works on the Android Stick

The BAD
- App Radio FM tuner is OK for reception
- HDTuner does NOT work on the Android PC, the serial communications don't work
- Also killed another speaker

the UGLY
- I have a wiring nightmare for removing panels
- Antenna cable is not hidden yet
- the PLD-1 I have was messing with the Left channel, had to remove it
- with the PLD-1 The audio was boosted enough, now it is too low with that removed.. (so a cost associated to the replacement parts)
- In my efforts to contact the developer of the HDTuner app I am having No Success.

Sort of stuck.. buy a new Line booster? (Audiocontrol Matrix or Overdrive)

Swap in the App Radio ( need to make a new bezel)

Not sure what to do at this point
Posted on: 2014/8/31 1:19
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

finally have a version of a home screen replacement that controls Arduino Uno..

This will be useful.. when I launch the HD tuner, Antenna will go up. I can set controls for turning on amps etc

If I go with the App radio, not as useful. what would really be nice is to find a touch screen that will fit in the opening for my bezel along with an android stick/pc that can control the HD tuner.

the Tablet will not control the volume of the HD tuner, but when I plug the DAC in the Android stick it does control volume but cannot control the Tuner.

so I am 50% of the way there from 2 directions..

I usually turn off the tablet for long periods of time when the car sits, but if i am out I let it sleep. there are some times when it will not reconnect to everything

Found an in dash Android that might be promising, waiting for some review form users that bought it

I also am thinking of a antenna booster (that might help the HD signal) it fades in an out while sitting still so I am thinking the signal the Tuner is trying to process is quite low.. a booster might help

Posted on: 2014/10/3 13:25
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

So I decided, I am swapping to the App Radio again, with an Android Stick..

the stick is NOT a Custom ROM, all the stuff i want to connect to it works and it seems quite snappy.. I might get another stick with an RTC so i don't need a network connection to verify the time.. This also allows me to potentially remove the Stick without tearing out the interior to do it. Also the screen integration works better

Onward with the work for me

EDIT

Video with HDTuner..
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5WZB ... maFliNm8/view?usp=sharing
Posted on: 2014/10/27 0:26
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Man, I have been slacking on updates..

AppRadio might end up in my Malibu.. I have not fully decided yet

Anyway, the Corvette is getting a Newsmy NU3001 Android radio.. This thing is pure android and seems to work well on the bench..

Along with the unit I will hopefully hard wire and ALDL cable but it is not fully on my scope for this season

I also have plans on adding an Arduino DUE to connect the Android (using the app I posted earlier in this thread) the Arduino will have control for the Antenna and Amps (based off of the Remote voltage).. I am thinking the relay on the arduino for the amps will be default closed so I can turn it off if I need.. opposite for the antenna.

Also I will add 2 sensors for temperature on the Arduino (need to buy them) this will add some nice control to the car and give me temperature I miss due to having Manual AC

I have a back camera mounted and almost wired in completely..

Things are progressing, but at slower than snails pace

Posted on: 2015/3/13 15:28
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

NU3001 is working fine..

Now I need to address the front audio.. the speakers int he floor are not cutting it. I think i had then in a different spot in the 89

Looking to do the 1" in the door with the 4" in the door ( 4" will be lower in the door, where my 6.5 currently is)

6.5 will go below in the frame rail..

Thinking that might be the best solution

Posted on: 2015/6/19 4:45
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Matatk Re: I cannot leave it alone
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

No pics of the install?
Posted on: 2015/6/19 10:32

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Test fit:
Resized Image

installed, showing back up camera
Resized Image

Next version of my radio bezel, still in process:
Resized Image
Posted on: 2015/6/19 11:37
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Matatk Re: I cannot leave it alone
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

Looks very clean, Jeff. Like it belongs there.
Posted on: 2015/6/20 3:04

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

So... Jeff... it's been a few months... how does it sound? Any updates?
Posted on: 2015/11/2 2:49

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Yes I do owe an update..

I hate the mounting solution I currently have.. I am working on a new bezel to make it fit better..

The audio is decent, I cannot adjust audio levels of the Radio Tuner without having an external EQ.. but for most of the Android Audio I use Viper4Audio, which does a good job of filling out the sound.

Next step is to add the Arduino Due and an app (Autosense) the autosense controls the arduino and will also control the Directed HDTuner.. along with IO and 2 temperature inputs.. He (Dev) has built a custom shield to handle a bunch of this.. www.autosenseapp.com

The Dev has modded some stuff to work with the Unit I have which is cool..

No new pictures, but I am considering molding the Radio bezel and console bezel into one piece.. I honestly think it will look better

Posted on: 2015/11/2 3:27
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

That audio sense sounds like the preamp you need... essentially.

I wish that Andriod systems had better codexes... I am just not impressed.

I picked up this thing last year so I can hear my music off my HTC phone cleanly!

Attach file:

jpg  Amp.jpg (477.26 KB)
3_5636f250ce6b8.jpg 760X1344 px
Posted on: 2015/11/2 5:11

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

actually the Headunit I have will output the sound.. the autosense Shield switcher still would need a EQ on it..

the Viper4Audio work quite well with many settings for sound fields..

I do like the idea of the touch screen but may end up swapping the radio again some day
Posted on: 2015/11/2 12:23
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

and this has always been my issue... double din head units have all the touch bling you could ever want, yet have crap for sound quality... less outputs... lower line voltage...

I was once going to get these bits from Alpine:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500IVEW5 ... e-IVE-W555BT.html?tp=5684

but no HD radio... no SAT radio... what's the point? They have acres of space inside, yet can't have those features? Gimme a break!

I ended up with the prior version of this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX7 ... lon-KDC-X799.html?tp=5684

The specs are very similar, the main difference being cosmetics.

I was very disappointed with the SAT radio... XM sucked beyond suckage. The quality was flat, the bandwidth was a joke... the XM receiver was a POS, the antenna port wore out within a few months! JUNK. I shut my subscription down after that.

If the receiver module we have in the Suburban dies, I will do the same thing with it.

I do need to bitch at them, tho...
Posted on: 2015/11/2 17:26

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

So I did not like the Radio install. Radio was tilted a bit and there were gaps..

Resized Image

SO, I took the bezel I used for the tablet and went to work on it.. Here is it mocked up..
Resized Image

There are 4 added pieces to this bezel.. Compare it to this one (Also custom):
Resized Image

Along with that I am installing the HDTuner again and using a custom shield for an Arduino Due. The Due will plug into the android box. then with an android frontend, I can control the HDTuner, as well as a few other pieces.. the Shield has I/O the HDTuner and 2 temperature connections (there are other features I did not get)

Resized Image

Audio from the tuner will use my audio aux in on the radio. I am also very tempted (if it will fit) to use my Coustic XM3 crossover for the High/Low and added gain control. I think I can fit the Crossover and Tuner box behind the Passenger lower dash cover.. not sure where the Arduino stack will reside yet
Posted on: 2015/12/21 14:37
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I don't think there is room for the crossover under the lower dash cover. That's real snug up there.

There is more room inside the glovebox.

Can't wait to see this thing done!!!
Posted on: 2015/12/21 23:58

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Crossover will physically fit, but tight. Not sure about RCAs fitting with it.. meaning I can fit the Crossover and HD tuner in the spot I am thinking of..

the XM3 is smaller than my XM6. the XM6 will not fit there.. It was more a thought than actual

Posted on: 2015/12/22 2:20
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

gotya... but there is limited space in the dash for anything else.

considering the lack of depth of the tablet, what about behind it?
Posted on: 2015/12/22 17:37

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

not doing the tablet, I have the Android headunit which fills up the space..
Posted on: 2015/12/22 17:38
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ah, ok. I missed that detail. Lemme reread...

Posted on: 2015/12/22 20:25

Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Update..

Headunit.. NU3001 (Newsmy) Android 4.4.4 (no path to lollipop or Marshmallow for the unit)

HDTuner - DMHD-1000 (I have 2 options to control it, more later)

Datalogging, on Android using ALDLDroid and Bluetooth interface, looking to try a USB cable

HDTuner options, Essentially the NU3001 has a tuner, but when I used the tablet I had the HDtuner. The NU3001 has Aux in for the audio from the HDTuner, so I can control volume easier.

There are 2 apps, one uses a USB cable direct to the tuner, the other uses a Arduino and Shield (posted earlier in the thread) the Arduino/Sehild are still in development so it has been hit or miss on reliable functions. I am in contact with the developer and one of the only ones to buy the shield so I am testing stuff as well.

Android media sound decent though my speakers, I use an app Viper4Audio to tweak and improve the sound, been happy with it so far, but I still want a DSP to set up the speakers better.

Antenna.. I know there are reception issues, but I think my antenna is hosed.. it works (mostly) if I put the antenna down then up seems to be a bit better sometimes..

I have a second power mechanism, but need a new mast (On order) once I assemble then spare, I will put it in the car and see if it helps.. not a major job just a pain to get to..

I am tempted to go back to a regular headunit, but I like having the Datalogging on demand, I am going to try a simple USB interface, if it works, it will be a permanent install, no cables draped in the car. I also like the back up camera, nice add and useful at times.

Glare screen has glare, waiting for an anti-Glare screen protector to try out, brightness of the screen is ok, especially using the LUX app and Tasker App, at night I can get the screen way down on brightness so not really 'in your face'

Potential future changes The Shield/arduino, has the potential to be an audio source controller and then control output volume to the system, I have thought of that with a newer Nexus 7 (2013) but then I am limited on the USB, since the Arduino is designed to be the host, the developer is working to make it act as a Device, if that works, then I have a good chance of going to the Tablet (remove the battery) and use that (there are some ROMs avail that might work well).

Might even change to something else and go to a mainstream unit like Kenwood. Pioneer or Alpine. We will see but for now I will stick with what I have as it seems to work quite well (outside of the antenna)

Posted on: 2016/5/26 12:56
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX69 ... on-DDX6902S.html?tp=20217

I like the spec... and if its like my current Kenwood, it's should sounds great.

Oh, Crutchfield now sells Morel speakers.
Posted on: 2016/5/27 1:19

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.