Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60
The automatic from 1992-1993. The same as the 700R4, just has a different name.

Either way, they are junk. There are some minor differences on a ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

rklessdriver 09-14-2014 Real Street Race
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Well another weekend in the books for me and the 84.

This was a tough weekend for me as due to other family commitments no one was availiable to come and help me at the track.

It sucks having to remember to do everything required to get the car turned around between rounds and then remember everything I need to do as a driver.... Sounds simple to check tire pressure 3-4 times in the lanes, check plugs, check fuel pressure, check U-Joints, heat bottles, charge battery, replace fuel.....

Then get in car, get strapped in by self, get window net up by self, fire car off, turn on fuel pump, water pump, fan, remember to turn on NO2 after the burn out, then turn 1/4 turn valve open after burn out, rest air shifter sitch after burn out.... then line your self up in the groove while looking over a 6" cowl induction scoop that blocks all view... seems easy enough but it's not easy.

Anyway. I had the 250 shot in it for this weekend. Started with a real easy ramp in my progressive controller.... 25% to 40% in .65 seconds... then 40% to 100% in .20 seconds. So all in by .85 seconds.

Made a test hit pulling 11* of timing and the car went 5.82@122.7MPH with a 1.35 60ff...

I was super happy with the 122MPH... time to get after it with a little timing and shorter progressive ramp....

Q1 - I shortend up my ramp to 25% to 50% in .5 second... 50% to 100% in .20 second. I also went to -9.5* of timing and the car went 5.88@115MPH with a 1.29 60ft on the rear tires.

Totally baffled me why it tok off like a bad MOFO and then layed down..... I thought maybe I was having NO2 problems... so I sent the next 20 mins trouble shooting my wiring to find nothing wrong....

Q2 - I left it alone except for a fresh bottle.... 5.98@115MPH with a 1.31 60ft and my purge wouldn't work.... I left the wiring connector loose while trouble shooting the wiring after Q1....

Crap I'm qualified 12th out of 21 cars... that totally sucks.

Now I'm really worried about whats going one.... I set the timing back to -11* .. and trouble shoot the NO2 system wiring again 3 times.... I decide to leave the Progressive ramp alone. to add insult to inuury I forgot to buy gas for the generator and it runs out when I'm charging the battery and heating up the bottles..... now that's not happening. Nobody in the pit has Genny fuel.... I say screw it and decide to run the car as is with whatever bottle pressure I can get by leting the sun heat the bottles....

E1 - I catch a break at the expense of my competitior who cut a tire and cannot make the round... I would rather beat him straight up so I have on my truck and offer to let him use him my old slicks from last year and even offer to help him mount them but he says that he runs tubes and I don't.....

I pull in the lane and forget to turn the 1/4 turn valve in.... car dumps 250HP worth of fuel at the hit almost kills it but I quickly figure out what I did and recover to idle the car down the track to take the win with a 11.50@25MPH.

E2 - I have to run a guy I have beat every round this year.... he has a fast car but can't cut a light to save his life.... Anyway I am so stressed out about not being able to charge the battery and can't get my bottles up to the proper pressure and how everything is getting away from me ATM that I decide not to try and hurt anything.... I take the NO2 out of the car and decide to run it N/A and just go A-B, hope he sleeps on the line like he has been all season. Well he takes a nap with a .230 RT and I chop down the tree with an .075 but he goes a 5.70 and on my first all motor pass I go 6.24@109MPh - so he wins....

I am honestly happy to be done for the day and happy that I don't think I hurt anything with my NO2 problems....

I decide to take some time to check the timing.... should be 30*... well it's 36* and that explains everything.

I have been way over timed since day one with the new engine. Totally explains why it's so fast on my "conserative" test passes every week but when I "get after the tune up" it slows down on MPH and hits like a ton of bricks - ie takes off like a bad man.

It did the same thing but it wasn't as noticeable.... as I wan't running enough NO2 with that little 85 jet (180HP) in there (until now) to allow a huge difference in power show up like it has this week.....

36-11 is 25* total and I should have been at 19* or 20*..... thats a big mistake... even bigger when I went to -9.5 and had 26.5* in it.....

So now I have to go back and leak the motor down to make sure I didn't hurt it with those 3 stupid passes.... which is no big deal. It ran great N/A afterwards and the motor is a first class peice so I'm not really that worried about possible damage.

I am happy I finally figured out what the problem has been all along but kinda mad I didn't spot it first because timing is the first thing you should look at with the symptoms I had.

So hopefully next month things will go better. I'll have Elsie's help again and I won't have to worry about remembering everything and can concentrate onmy tune up and driving the car.

Judging from that 122MPH on the test hit (which was over timed as well) the car is going to run it's best ever.

Next month is a big deal for us. We have a regular race on the 11th at Mason Dixon Dragway and another big race on the 25th at Capital Dragway.... Then our final race the very next week on Nov 1.

I had moved up to 8th place in the points as of August and after this week I may have gotten another position.... I have to wait for him to post the results.

Feel free to check us out and hit like on FaceBook.

https://www.facebook.com/MPCRealStreet

or the internetz....

http://www.mpcrealstreet.com/

Lot of nice pics and new video posted every week of the cars I race against.

Will
Posted on: 2014/9/16 14:09

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: 09-14-2014 Real Street Race
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Wow! I read it all

That really sucks about the timing issue. But that's what testing is for, right???

Next week you'll kill it. Better bring wifey along as a good luck charm.
Posted on: 2014/9/19 2:34

TommyT-Bone Re: 09-14-2014 Real Street Race
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Well written report. Looking forward to a more positive story in the future.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 2:55

BrianCunningham Re: 09-14-2014 Real Street Race
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Nice writeup

A lot of people don't appreciate what it takes to make a proper run.
Posted on: 2014/9/19 13:04

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.