Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
250 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

j3studio Need Your Thoughts: How To Describe A 1985 Corvette
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4246 Posts

As my public expects , I am hard at work on my Lincoln Highway book. Here's a small part from the introduction:

"

What A 1985 Corvette Actually Is

The C4s were certainly the first “modern” Corvettes: the first ones to have rack-and-pinion steering (from the 1984 model year), a removable “targa” roof (from 1984), electronic port fuel injection (from 1985), anti-lock brakes (from 1986), a six-speed manual transmission (from 1989), and dual air bags (from 1994).

However Lauren is a fairly early C4 (the first of them were built in model year 1984 and Chevrolet didn’t stop building them until model year 1996), so there a lot of rather primitive things about her. As examples, engine trouble codes can be read with a paper clip (no fancy code-readers here!) and one of the electronic adjustments for the engine is done with a mallet.

One of the most notable things about early C4s — especially ones with the extra cost ($470) Z51 performance handling package, which, of course, Lauren has — is that they have a really hard (almost brutal) ride. One of the standard jokes is that, if you drive over a coin in an early C4 with the Z51, you can tell whether it is a penny, nickel, dime, or quarter.

The Corvette was all new except for the engine for 1984, so the big news for the 1985 model was a new version of Chevrolet’s small block V8. Designated L98, the engine bumped horsepower from 205 bhp to 230 bhp (a big deal in the horsepower-starved mid-1980s) and also improved fuel economy (up to 16 city/22 highway by the standards of the day). Corvette engineers of the day wore golf shirts that said that “Life Begins At 150” and a 1985 Corvette could just barely hit 150 mph if given enough time and distance. 1985 models also got many minor refinements as Chevrolet learned from the 1984s.

By the standards of 1985, Lauren came very loaded. Power windows, power steering, and power brakes are all included with every C4 Corvette. The $400 optional seats are all leather (rare nowadays in anything but the highest end cars) and quite comfortable (though only the driver got even the option of six-way power seats and that went for an additional $215) and there’s a still useful trip computer, though it has some memory limitations we didn’t find out about until recently.  The stereo is an absolutely top of the line for 1985 Delco-GM/Bose music system: an AM/FM stereo cassette with four matched speakers — amazing and expensive ($895) sound for the mid eighties and still serviceable now, at least when it is working properly (and Lauren’s does after some work).

Of course, none of this came cheap. Lauren’s base price with destination charge was $24,878 (approximately $57,000 in 2014 dollars). Adding the aforementioned performance handling package, Delco-GM/Bose stereo, leather seats, and six way power driver’s seat, along with power door locks ($170), transparent targa roof panel ($595), performance axle ratio ($22), cruise control ($185), and rear defogger ($160) and Lauren stickered for a non-trivial $27,990 (about $64,100 in today’s dollars).

"

Thoughts?

Posted on: 2014/10/31 0:54

captmike13 Re: Need Your Thoughts: How To Describe A 1985 Corvette
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

With the CB craze dwindling, the last year a CB radio was offered as a Corvette option was 1985. Only 16 Corvettes were so equipped.
Posted on: 2014/10/31 10:50

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Ultraman Re: Need Your Thoughts: How To Describe A 1985 Corvette
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14730 Posts

I had forgotten about that.....my 79 had the CB in it and they tried to run it all through one antenna and it didn't work very well....

Good read so far John.....the 85's were just coming off the Car of the Year awards.....I believe that's right...
Posted on: 2014/10/31 16:39

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

bogus Re: Need Your Thoughts: How To Describe A 1985 Corvette
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Also add, "all new in 1984, except for the engine and transmission." The 700R4 was all new in 1982.

I would be careful of the targa top comments. We have, as a society, translated T-Bar - roofs with the bar in the middle, 2 parts, as a t-top, however, it is part of the broader stroke of "Targa Top"... So T-Top and Targa top is the same thing. I would use the phrase "once piece Targa Top, vs a 2 piece TTop.

Touch on the Bose system.

First car developed on computers.... thinks like that.
Posted on: 2014/10/31 17:49

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

KPotter Re: Need Your Thoughts: How To Describe A 1985 Corvette
Elite Guru
Cuyahoga Falls OH
1072 Posts

If I recall correctly, wasn't the C4 the first street car to pull 1g on the skid pad ?
Posted on: 2014/10/31 19:08

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yes. The tire was the #1 reason, too... the Gatorbacks were insane back in the day.

McClellan and gang took a stock 84 Z51, set up the alignment and let it rip...
Posted on: 2014/10/31 19:25

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I finally found the words to describe the C4:

"Though significantly refined over the C3 in all respects, and possessing a much better build quality, the C4 is still a rather elemental sports car. You feel the road and are an integral part of the experience; not just along for the ride. For all of its faults, this is one of its most endearing traits."

Posted on: 2014/10/31 23:24

GRIS Re: Need Your Thoughts: How To Describe A 1985 Corvette
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7627 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I finally found the words to describe the C4:

"Though significantly refined over the C3 in all respects, and possessing a much better build quality, the C4 is still a rather elemental sports car. You feel the road and are an integral part of the experience; not just along for the ride. For all of its faults, this is one of its most endearing traits."

ABSOLUTELY! YOU REALLY SUMMED IT UP WELL, ANDY.
Posted on: 2014/11/1 22:23

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

j3studio Re: Need Your Thoughts: How To Describe A 1985 Corvette
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4246 Posts

Thanks, all! Good suggestions ...

Posted on: 2014/11/1 22:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.