Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
221 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ALDL
Assembly Line Diagnostic Link

The cable you use to connect to a TECH 1 or a laptop computer for diagnosis and data logging purposes....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Vette91 What was your detour?
Guru
Germany
70 Posts

Everyone knows what happens if a man does think he know where to go and a woman with a map doubt it ...

So let us share some longer routes to visit a place

10 years ago I tested if a C4 can go off-road. Did buy my '91 at Grand Junction and drove it to Houston for shipping to Germany. I wanted to see the Colorado National Monument, of course. Still don't know how we got in the middle of nowhere but I wanted to know what's behind the next corner ...

After "end of pavement" it turned into a gravel road.

Resized Image

Mile 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... red sand and a small sign "Colorado River 12 mls".

Resized Image

Reception neither on the radio nor on the mobile phone. Gas tank 1/4 ...

Ok, highway beyond the river ... I'm sure there must be a bridge. Half an hour later we passed through a small river. No, that can't be the Colorado ...

Surroundings turned stony ...

Resized Image

Turned right two times and saw two locals working on a huge wheel loader. They were the first people we had seen for an hour. I asked where I am and how to get back on paved road.

They told me that they never did see a Corvette in this area, just some motorhomes which got lost the way we did. I should drive careful because of the stones and I have to turn. The next river (that must be the Colorado) can not even passed by an off-road vehicle. I should turn left wherever it is possible. On the right-hand side no one will find us in the near future.

We did what he said and after another hour of very slow driving we got back to paved road ... just hit that the radio got a song "on the road again".

So what is your story?
Posted on: 2015/1/25 23:18
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

GRIS Re: What was your detour?
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7629 Posts

WELL, I'D SAY WOMEN AND MAPS SHOULD BE KEPT STRICTLY SEPARATED, LIKE WHISKEY AND WATER.
Posted on: 2015/1/26 1:18

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

vetteblondie Re: What was your detour?
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4642 Posts

Can't top that story....good one

I drank my whiskey straight last night - but sometimes with a coke - after all it's 100 proof.. but got to Atlanta from where I live fine to pick up my first vette and the now ex husband directed us back home, the 6 hour drive took us 12...
Posted on: 2015/1/26 1:45

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

GRIS Re: What was your detour?
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7629 Posts

I'M LIKE DANIEL BOONE: NEVER BEEN LOST BUT FREQUENTLY BEWILDERED.

THE MOST FRUSTRATING WAS ONCE WHEN I WAS SHOOTING DOVE DOWN ON THE NORTH FORK OF RED RIVER. I DECIDED TO TAKE A SHORT CUT BACK TO MY PICKUP, RATHER THAN WALKING OUT THE WAY I WENT IN. IT WAS AN OVERCAST DAY AND I GOT IN A BIG THICKET OF SALT CEDAR TOO HIGH TO SEE OVER. WHEN I BROKE OUT THE TRUCK WAS NOWHERE IN SIGHT. PULLED IT'S PICKET PIN AND RUN OFF, I GUESS. DON'T KNOW HOW FAR I WALKED WANDERING AROUND THE DIRT ROADS & TRAILS BUT I FINALLY FOUND MY TRUCK ABOUT DARK. DIDN'T GET MANY DOVE, EITHER.
Posted on: 2015/1/26 2:05

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

TommyT-Bone Re: What was your detour?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33759 Posts

I'm still looking for the paved road. I've been lost for decades ........
Posted on: 2015/1/26 12:53

Ultraman Re: What was your detour?
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14731 Posts

Back in the day when I was wild and free and not very bright....I know its hard to believe but its true....I was coming back from Indiana on the Interstate...heading towards Saint Louis.....my then girlfriend before I left had rolled me a big ole torpedo in case I wanted to get a little Rocky Mountain high going.....which I was listening to JD on a cassette tape in the truck when I decided to light up and enjoy the ride.............the next thing I know and this is some time later is there is this huge arch in the sky that actually kind of startled me because I have missed the turns in St. Louie that would take me over to K.C.....I have become bewildered....the girlfriend said it was some good chit mon......

I took a turn and ended up in a real dark area of St. Louis, you know the kind of place you don't want to stop and ask directions or even be seen......by then I was getting my wits about me and by figuring which way the sun was moving I just kept heading west and about 2 hours later I found I70 westbound and found a truck stop and filled the near empty tank and bought some Fritos and cupcakes and Screaming Yellow Zonkers......I don't know why.......

Not long after that I turned from my evil ways and started to become the pillar of the community that I now am..........thats my story and I'm sticking to it....

Posted on: 2015/1/26 14:06

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33759 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

Not long after that I turned from my evil ways and started to become the pillar of the community that I now am..........thats my story and I'm sticking to it....

It only took me 4 decades. 13 1/2 years now living one day at a time. I'm no pillar. More of a fencepost.

(NA Busch)

Posted on: 2015/1/26 14:33

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33759 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

I took a turn and ended up in a real dark area of St. Louis, you know the kind of place you don't want to stop and ask directions or even be seen

Posted on: 2015/1/26 14:35

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33759 Posts

Ah, the dark side ...........

Posted on: 2015/1/26 14:37

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33759 Posts

Inevitably we will all end up on the dark side again. Make sure you keep the doors locked.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 16:09

bogus Re: What was your detour?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the closest to getting lost... and they pale compared to your adventure!

I made a wrong turn in Philadelphia, PA, and went north instead of south.... took 20 minutes to figure that one out!

I was working in England, near Manchester, and coming back to the small town we were stationed at, I made a left where I shouldn't have... and the GPS went nuts!

That's it... normally, I have a good sense of direction and don't get that lost.

On the other side, it has taken me quite a few years to get used to the LA area... get a GPS and have a map! It can get complicated.
Posted on: 2015/1/26 19:36

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33759 Posts

Posted on: 2015/1/26 21:25

teebee Re: What was your detour?
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12359 Posts

Can't think that I was "lost". Didn't make the correct turn a few times. Once, in St. Louis, with all three girls and Rosie, I made a wrong turn in the late afternoon and ended up in a very dark area. Not a place we wanted to be and felt VERY uncomfortable. Rosie was telling me the whole time that "you should have turned right instead of left." "OK, but now help me get the h3ll out of here." After making several turns we finally got back on the right road.
Posted on: 2015/1/27 2:38

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

vetteblondie Re: What was your detour?
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4642 Posts

If you want to talk of getting lost in the woods, now - me the first ex and a friend took off to deer hunt in what's call the St. Francis River's South 40 near Caraway, AR. They flood it often for duck hunters that use the nearby Hatchiecoon Hunt club. Was dry when we got there. One of those places you use trail marking tape and better keep up with where you are. You get turned around in a hurry and isn't hard to get lost and spend a night out there. Cell phones weren't common and a signal would be scant, anyhow. We regrouped at one point to discuss where to look for the deer referred to by many as "ole grandad' and had been tracking what we thought was him. we began to notice water quickly rising around our feet. That makes stuff look different. We scurried around to find our way out - evertying started to change - and look different. It was getting dark and we were getting scared and water in some places had gotten half calf deep. Finally we got to a levee and could hear shooting. We were on the levee and finally approached by one of the club members - we were spotted and knew weren't members and was afraid we'd be shot by mistake so they sent one out to help us, figured we were lost. Yep. Kind man offered to take us to the truck. The hunt club was a loooong way from where we entered the woods - little did we know how far till he drove us to it. Think it was around 9pm or so by the time we got back to the truck. It was a half hour's drive for him. I was scared shitless. Not a place I wanted to spend the night. Ended up getting my first deer out there but sure didn't go that far in again.
Posted on: 2015/1/28 0:00

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.