Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
209 user(s) are online (178 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L80E
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 2.43
2nd Gear: 1.49
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.75

Reverse: 2.07

- Used in production GM models...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

rklessdriver 434 SBC Engine Inspection Pics and new Nitrous System
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Though the Guru's would like to see some pics of the 434 partially apart as we did a bunch of maintenance getting it ready for the 2015 Season. I did not pull the pan because of the fairly low muber of runs last season and theres nothing in the oil filter or oil pressure indicating it needs new brgs. We did pull both cyl heads, all the rockers and roller lifters for inspection/repair.

First thing, we leaked it down and the engine was less than 2% on every hole - EXCEPT cyl number 1. Nearly 20% comming out the exhaust valve. Tapping the valve did nothing.... That sucks. Pulled the head and the valve... turnes out it was just some rust on the seat from sitting a few weeks with the valve open.... Man racing gas is some corrossive stuff.... Buffed both the valve and seat off with a wire wheel and it now hold vaccum as good as the rest of them. Re-install head (thank god for re-useable MLS headgaskets) and the leak down test now reveals less than 2% on cyl number 1.

Hers a pic of one of the cyl heads and the short block... check out that chamber burn pattern... nearly 100% coverage and so detailed you can actuallly see the shadow the vertical gas ports in the pistons left behind in the burn pattern of the combustion chambers quench area.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/IMG_2118_zpssx6dkegx.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Burn coverage on the piston itself is only abut 75-80% but thats becasue of the dome on the pistons, which increases surface area and slow down the burn rate in the chamber during the power stroke.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/IMG_2114_zpswgv3scfn.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Also some known damage I had to repair. Back 2 races into the last year I ate a Jesel roller tip up and scarred up a valve stem on the cyl number 6 exhaust after I drilled a few too many holes in my valve cover vaccum pump inlet baffel - trying to get a little more oil flow into the pump.... succeded in getting more oil in the pump but that resulted in less oil on the valve tip and rocker. Found the damage when I was adjusting valves.

I put a new $30.00 roller tip on the rocker, buffed up the valve stem tip as best I could and carried on for the rest of the season....

After an entire season of racing with 300lbs of seat pressure and over 800lbs open pressure, .806 lift and turning 7500RPM.... The damage to the valve tip wasn't too bad at all.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/IMG_2112_zpsnyvgwkea.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

It actually cleaned right up touching it on the valve grinder with less than .001 removal. Saved me from buying a $30.00 valve.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/image1_zpsyyxgdb8l.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

So as you can see above the engine is all back together with a new timing belt and we are waiting on this to arrive from The Nitrous Outlet.

Nitrous Outlet was kind enough to send me the glamor shots of my 2892 Super Victor 2 intake with the new custom fogger all plumbed. Makes me wish I would have spent more time on my "finish" port/polish work... but these just make it that much harder to have patience... I am dying here waiting for it to arrive so I can put it back on the engine..... can't wait to fire this bad boy off on the track.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/10162%202_zpsayvoytiz.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/10162%203_zpsmowdo0vv.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/10162%204_zpsdpi1ea3h.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Once I get the intake back, there is going to be a little wiring to do for the new nitrous kit and some new AN hoses will need to be built.

Once thats done we are back to the dyno to tune in my new C&S Specalties Aersol Billet 1000 carburator.

Resized Image

Hoping to break 750HP this time but it may make less than last time because the fogger nozzels hang down in the air stream and may hurt flow enough to hinder the engines N/A hp.

Also still waiting on a new TQ converter to be built but should have it in a week or so. After that we hope to make some test passes in Georgia to get the new suspension and transmissin sorted before my first offical test session in Maryland on March 28th.
Will
Posted on: 2015/2/13 14:45

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BrianCunningham Re: 434 SBC Engine Inspection Pics and new Nitrous System
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Very Nice!
Posted on: 2015/2/13 20:39

pianoguy Re: 434 SBC Engine Inspection Pics and new Nitrous System
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

That intake looks serious! Very cool!
Posted on: 2015/2/14 18:20

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

1Fast04Vert Re: 434 SBC Engine Inspection Pics and new Nitrous System
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Looks awesome. Which track are you going to run here in GA?
Silver Dollar?
Posted on: 2015/2/14 21:59

bogus Re: 434 SBC Engine Inspection Pics and new Nitrous System
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

that's some seriously intense stuff... way cool!!!
Posted on: 2015/2/15 7:38

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

rklessdriver Re: 434 SBC Engine Inspection Pics and new Nitrous System
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

1Fast04Vert wrote:
Looks awesome. Which track are you going to run here in GA?
Silver Dollar?

Yes, we usually pre-season test at Reynolds.

Will
Posted on: 2015/2/15 18:07

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Well a little bad news....

The intake and fogger had to go back to TX this weekend for a re-do. The owner of the company was at the big race in GA this week end and took it back with him.... He told my brother that once he got back to the shop with it on Tuesday, it was first in line to get fixed.

Seems that they installed the nozzels out too far on the intake and it wouldn't physically fit on the engine without hitting the rocker covers/cyl head rocker cover rail.

Dave the owner of Nitrous Outlet was also not thrilled about the type of nozzel they used..... he wanted to use an Annular discharge type nozzel instead of the more common 90* nozzels.... Seems he believes that Annular nozzels would be better suited for limited jet stuff.... not to mention due to the way they sit straight - up are better suited physically to my application.

Just one of those things that happens.... the Tech suport guy and installer were not 100% familiar with how my engine stuff was laid out and even thou I sent some pics, there are a lot of little things you can't tell by just looking at pics and honestly I wasn't very specific about what I wanted - Other than to say I wanted "The baddest SOB they can build under the rules".

So going to have to weld up the holes they drilled/tapped, install the Annular style nozzels, then re-plumb it, re-flow/blueprint the new system and ship it back to me by next week.

Puts me another week behind but Dave at Nitrous Outlet is being a 100% stand up guy about making it right. It still sucks but he's doing everything he can to make it right and I know it totally sucks for him to have to eat shipping and all the labor to re-do this system.

Hopefully I will run good this year this year and make up for all this.
Will
Posted on: 2015/2/23 20:18

pianoguy Re: 434 SBC Engine Inspection Pics and new Nitrous System
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Arghhhh! Good they are making it right, though.
Posted on: 2015/2/23 20:35

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

BrianCunningham Re: 434 SBC Engine Inspection Pics and new Nitrous System
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

hay, at least you didn't wait till the last minute
Posted on: 2015/2/23 23:50

Matatk Re: 434 SBC Engine Inspection Pics and new Nitrous System
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

So what you're saying.....is right now your car is slower than mine?
Posted on: 2015/2/25 3:03

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
So what you're saying.....is right now your car is slower than mine?

Looks like for the forseeable future you got me.

At least my 92 and Elsie's 79 are still runnning.

We haven't driven either of them in months due to the weather we are having lately thou.....

Will
Posted on: 2015/2/25 14:09

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Few new pics of the progress.

The intake with the new Annular Fogger arrived via Big Brown truck yesterday and now my brother has it all wired and plumbed for the car - Ready to go.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/image2_zpsrpltoxpu.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/IMG_2212_zps5teanlhc.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/IMG_2213_zpsabuhpkij.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

He also got a 1/4 turn valve bracket built. It's just been loose hanging by the NO2 line beside the center console for like 3yrs.... I guess it was time someone made a proper bracket for it.... Going to also to get rid of the little 90* -4AN gauge line fitting and install the gauge directly on the adapter fitting. Easier to see the NO2 pressure and one less AN line to be a potential problem.

[URL=http://s50.photobucket.com/user/rklessdriver/media/1984%20Corvette/IMG_2192_zpsiidllbg0.jpg.html]Resized Image[/URL]

Right now engine is comming back out of the car and getting ready for it's trip to the dyno. We are switching carburators and fuel this year. I hope to see some sizeable power gains N/A in addition to the sizeable power gains this new fogger is going to bring....

Plan is to be on the dyno Wed 18 March and then install the motor back in the car and be headed to Brainard Optimist (or Silver Dollar) Dragway to test that weekend on Sat or Sun 21-22 March.

Then drive home and test again with the rest of the class cars at Mason Dixon Dragway the next weekend Sat 28 March.
Will
Posted on: 2015/3/11 14:12

TommyT-Bone Re: 434 SBC Engine Inspection Pics and new Nitrous System
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Thanks for the progress report.
Posted on: 2015/3/11 14:53

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Dyno day went great.

Changes were shortening the headers from 34" to 30" and C16 fuel.

Started with the QFT carb. Made 687hp.. few jet and air bleed changes to adjust for the new fuel and it made 721hp. Right where it was last time. Timing adjustment from 40* to 38* got it 727hp and that was it. Everything else I tried hurt power.

Next up the C&S aerosol billet. I bought this carb used so I knew it'd take some time to get it right. And I was right, PO had it out in left field... Few phone calls later and too many changes were made to detail here but it was totally worth it.

At the end of the day I had my 750hp pull and backed it up with 2 more 749hp pulls.

Then we removed the vacuum pump belt and it made 733hp. So 16" of vacuum is worth 17hp.

I'll have dyno sheets to post tomorrow sometime.
Engine is back in the car and I test drove it around my brothers neighborhood. New tranny and rear working fine.

We'll see how it all works together tomorrow night if weathers good.
Will
Posted on: 2015/3/19 23:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.