Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
172 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NCM
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bogus State of the C4
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Even though the Guru is open and appreciates all generations of the Corvette, we are still rather C4 centric.

I would like to think we are one of the best sites for C4 tech on the Interwebs... We have a tech brain trust here that is second to none, in my humble opinion.

Owners, enthusiasts, hobbyists and professionals who have done just about everything you can imagine to keep their C4's on the road.

However we are going to be running into an epic problem... one that could unravel the C4 for good:

PARTS.

So far, the following parts are now unavailable, short of lost NOS somewhere in a warehouse in North Dakota or something:

* Dual Mass Flywheel
* 1992/93 Engine Controllers
* 4+3 parts (IIRC)
* Clutch parts, 1989-96
* Shock activators (FX3)
* EGR Solenoid

I am sure there are other parts, but those are pretty serious.

The following aftermarket parts have shown nothing but heartache for owners:

* Optisparks, period
* Clutches
* Pick your poison, anything reman'd (alternators, starters)
* Sensors (coolant temp sensors are a bitch)
* Door courtesy light switches
* Easy access to oil for the ZF6

As an outlier:

* Engine controllers (92/93) - this is a real problem, if one does fail, there isn't anyone out there who can properly fix the damned things. They either don't know how, don't have the diagnostic tools, or use shit parts to repair it with.

This is going to make keeping a C4 operational is going to get harder and harder. Replacement Optisparks failing every 15k miles... Coolant Temp Sensors that last all of 20 miles, if they survive the first startup! Reman'd alternators that last all of 8 months.

Then comes the aftermarket... there is some support, but it isn't cheap... and, to make matters worse, much of it is blingy garbage or seriously expensive. And if you have a C4 Mark 1 (84-88), good luck getting much from the aftermarket. It does exist, yes, but the options are much more limited.

What I suggest to my fellow C4 owners is this: If you intend on keeping the car, start hoarding parts. Keep a stash of spare parts on hand. Do maintenance well in advance of a suspect part breaking.

Don't be cheap. Don't buy the lowest price part just because, you will get boned for that down the road. I have been... and I know what I am doing. Practice due diligence and you will be ok.

Finally... a few trusted vendors I deal with:

* MidAmerica
* RockAuto.com
* TireRack.com
* Vette2vette.com
* Corvette Central
* Dino's Corvette Salvage
* Power Torque Systems
Posted on: 2015/5/3 5:18

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

GRIS Re: State of the C4
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7582 Posts

ALL "NEED TO KNOW INFO"
THANKS, ANDY.
Posted on: 2015/5/3 13:27

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

TommyT-Bone Re: State of the C4
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Thanks Andy. One might have to get very creative to keep a C4 operational. If they can keep the 50's cars in Havana on the road, we can come up with alternatives, albeit expensive. Of course it world steer you away from NCRS certification. Once again the C4 is treated like a lowly step-child. Demand might prompt a companies to step up and fill the void. $$$ I have always felt electronics to be the bane of long term car ownership. It might be cheaper in the long haul to step back in tech to a nice C2. In this case less is more.
Posted on: 2015/5/3 14:55

bogus Re: State of the C4
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Or, step forward.

This is why a 383 makes little sense. I try to modify old tech, and the computers fail and you can't find one, oopsie... problem brewing.

Or, I can get an LS2 or LS3 or something, rebuild the ZF6 and get all new engine with all new technology.

Posted on: 2015/5/3 16:08

istter1 Re: State of the C4
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Or, step forward.

This is why a 383 makes little sense. I try to modify old tech, and the computers fail and you can't find one, oopsie... problem brewing.

Or, I can get an LS2 or LS3 or something, rebuild the ZF6 and get all new engine with all new technology.

Your right Andy I have the 383 the tko the hydraulic throughout bearing "Sorry at the moment I forgot who gave me the master cylinder adapter mount he made to fit 3/4 clutch master cylinder./ c5 front and rear on the c4. A shit load of parts all work and most either manufactured by individual or paid premium prices for junk
Good parts are so hard to come by and to keep making the vehicle operational you need good friends an a rat hole of money .
Posted on: 2015/5/3 16:40

BrianCunningham Re: State of the C4
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

funny love my 383 LT1

Seriously though, the various generations have all gone through this.

The vendors will supply parts if there's a demand.

We just need to let them know.

Perhaps a letter to Mid-America?
Posted on: 2015/5/3 16:50

j3studio Re: State of the C4
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4245 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

And if you have a C4 Mark 1 (84-88), good luck getting much from the aftermarket. It does exist, yes, but the options are much more limited.

I actually think things have gotten a little better for the early C4s since I purchased mine in 2004. Parts now exist from various vendors that I had to find at junkyards when I was first restoring my 1985. For Lauren, I'm a fan of Corvette Central, Mid America, and Tire Rack.

Posted on: 2015/5/3 18:00

Louis, 2012 Centennial Edition Coupe

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

That is a good sign... but that means those of us in the later years are still 3-4 years away... if then.

Posted on: 2015/5/3 19:21

Matatk Re: State of the C4
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
funny love my 383 LT1

Seriously though, the various generations have all gone through this.

The vendors will supply parts if there's a demand.

We just need to let them know.

Perhaps a letter to Mid-America?

Some parts are not being produced. The 95? power steering pulley, 96 timing cover, 90-91 panels for the dashboard electronics. Will they ever? Not sure. I spoke to the person responsible for creating/importing the 84-89 digital dash panels. He said the 90-91 are possible to recreate after 1000s of hours of reverse engineering....
Posted on: 2015/5/4 2:51

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

More thoughts...

Some of the most trusted American brands are now being made in China. Moog has lost all of its luster thanks to this move.

Other brands are made in China, but disguise it... National Bearing is a Chinese company that makes wheel bearings... stay clear.

I have had good luck with products made in:

* USA
* Canada
* Western Europe
* Taiwan
* Japan

Some items, particularly tech products, like cameras, computers and stereo equipment, are good from:

* Japan
* Taiwan
* Thailand
* Philippines

Also, in time, some of the former Soviet block countries are going to finally emerge:

Poland is poised for a big jump. Excellent, educated and well trained labour force, with lots of experience making aircraft for the former Soviet Union.

Finally, there is a company in Turkey that has impressed me. They produce in Turkey, using primary German-made raw materials. Instead of copying an OEM part, they physically re-engineer it. Their parts are stout. The company is called Deeza.

As for parts that do work, in general, I have had much better success with NAPA products than others, but it's all hit and miss anymore. It comes down to the source.

O2 Sensors have been a real pain... The Bosch part is now made in Mexico and is not proving to be durable. I use only NGK/NTK O2 sensors, made in Japan. Delco is good, but I don't know where they are made. Denso is also good, made in Japan at last check.

Posted on: 2015/5/4 16:45

CentralCoaster Re: State of the C4
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Natural process. Luckily demand finds a way. I suspect the 84-87 will have a hard time, the aftermarket never fully existed to begin with.

88-91 is probably golden, with the gen1 engine, HEI, and stronger aftermarket for all the 88-96 bits.

There are several alternatives for the ZF clutch now, probably better than stock even (disclaimer: I haven't tried them). I mean, even door panels... pricey, but have you tried to find replacement panels for an 85 Ford LTD? You might as well have a Tucker.

And so long as there are enough gearhead internet users, there will be a great knowledgebase.

I agree with you on Napa, I could give two shits about them without knowing their sources. If I'm forced to choose between two mystery brands, I'll choose them. AC Delco used to be trustworthy in that respect, that you didn't need to know their source, you could take their word for it that it was better quality.
Posted on: 2015/5/4 19:24

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
He said the 90-91 are possible to recreate after 1000s of hours of reverse engineering....

They finally reverse engineered Polaroid film, as of last year I think. And it takes about 30 minutes for a sheet to develop. Don't hold your breath, lol.
Posted on: 2015/5/4 19:28

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Other brands are made in China, but disguise it... National Bearing is a Chinese company that makes wheel bearings... stay clear.

We could start a whole new thread on this, lol.

I bent up a few VERMONT AMERICAN drill bits from Taiwan this weekend. One of them literally unraveled!

Must have been my powerful PITTSBURGH hammer drill from fresh-off-the-boat-in-the-Harbor Freight.
Posted on: 2015/5/4 19:31

GRIS Re: State of the C4
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7582 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
More thoughts...
Finally, there is a company in Turkey that has impressed me. They produce in Turkey, using primary German-made raw materials. Instead of copying an OEM part, they physically re-engineer it. Their parts are stout. The company is called Deeza.

A BIT TANGENTIAL, BUT THE TURKS ARE ALSO MAKING SOME VERY NICE SHOTGUNS NOW, AT QUITE REASONABLE PRICES.
Posted on: 2015/5/4 21:10

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

hcbph Re: State of the C4
Senior Guru
269 Posts

One more thing to add to the list of parts is the ABS pump for the early C4's (Like my 86) along with the relay. At one point I thought the pump was going bad and started looking to find some place to rebuild it. Looks like it's not an issue but more importantly I never found any place that would even take a look at the pump. Same thing with the relay, other than NOS I don't think there's a new one out there.

Funny you mention stockpiling parts. I've been buying selected parts when I see then and can work them into the budget. Along with that, I have a couple of people keeping an eye out for some specific parts I'd like to find to have on hand just-in-case.

Mine already had a Tremec upgrade done to it in the past. If the engine ever craps out or something related goes, I wouldn't rule out something like a LS swap if it made sense.

My 2 cents.
Posted on: 2015/5/5 0:46

Ultraman Re: State of the C4
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14706 Posts

I am curious if there are LS swap in kits available for the C4...... I have a friend who is putting an LS in a 57 Chebby and there is no lack of kits and parts and wiring set ups for that swap......

So why not the C4......?
Posted on: 2015/5/5 13:53

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

the early longblocks are easy enough to get

it's the TPI stuff that's hard

hey, at least we're not an orphan car

Try getting chrome for an AMX
Posted on: 2015/5/5 14:47

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
I am curious if there are LS swap in kits available for the C4...... I have a friend who is putting an LS in a 57 Chebby and there is no lack of kits and parts and wiring set ups for that swap......

So why not the C4......?

kits? meh... parts? yes...

There are a couple of shops making the motor mount brackets, and Bill @ ZFDoc has an adapter plate for the ZF6... There are no wiring harness adapters that I am aware off. There is documentation on the web, but no plug and play kits.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 16:12

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

What quantities are we talking on parts?

I ping a couple of manufactures, they might be interestedm but only if the quantities are high enough

Obviously match stock would be the goal

Depending on the part, match function would be enough.

My need to get a hold of a stock part, even non-functional to get a quote

Keep in mind a $5 part may need a $10k mold with a min run of 500 parts

went through this on a recent project, it was cheaper to make our own design and in the process make it even better
Posted on: 2015/5/5 22:21

Senior Guru
269 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
There are a couple of shops making the motor mount brackets, and Bill @ ZFDoc has an adapter plate for the ZF6... There are no wiring harness adapters that I am aware off. There is documentation on the web, but no plug and play kits.

I thought I read about a 'stand alone' wiring kit for the LS that was supposed to work with a C4. You still use the existing computer for other than engine/transmission stuff and use a separate controller for the engine and transmission.

I keep thinking it might have been Holley but I'm not sure where I read about it. Pretty sure Holley also puts out a mounting kit that is supposed to fit. Now that I think about it, might have been referenced on Hot Rod Garage.

At least there's hope.
Posted on: 2015/5/6 12:39

Schrade Re: State of the C4
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

C4's have fallen into hands of those who don't know how to diagnose and repair. I think that's more than obvious by browsing the F/B page for C4...

Even the knowledgeable types don't often tune the OEM machines, in favor of new mills.............
Posted on: 2015/5/7 23:05

Resized Image

Senior Guru
269 Posts

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/sucp ... ne-swap-tips/viewall.html

Looks like Holley is selling Hooker Header engine mount kits plus their EFI setup
https://holley.com/products/exhaust/mo ... ine_mounts/parts/12611HKR

Summit has a bunch of stuff for LS swaps

There also was a thread on Corvetteforum (I think) were someone installed an ERod engine, and I thought the kit included the mounts so I'm assuming they're available via Chevy.

That looks to be a start.
Posted on: 2015/5/8 0:05

screamin_conure Re: State of the C4
Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

Been a while since I've posted, but this thread got me going. ;)

Excellent, excellent thread. I've had my '92 for going on six years now and like everyone else here, I've had my share of ups and downs with parts availability and quality.

I have firsthand experience with the '92/'93 ECM issue. When I bought my car, the IAC circuit in my original ECM was flaky, causing wild swings in idle speed. I got lucky back in 2012 and found a working replacement ECM on eBay. That corrected the issue. In August of that year, I then sent my original ECM to Blue Streak Electronics to be rebuilt. I actually did that through Rock Auto. I've been running the rebuilt original now for over two driving seasons and haven't had any issues, and I still have the eBay unit as a spare. Not sure if Rock still offers rebuilds through Blue Streak anymore, but if you REALLY need a '92 / '93 ECM rebuilt, it might be worht giving them a call.

I have an O'Reilly, Advanced Auto and AutoZone all just a few blocks from home, and you can throw a baseball from each one's parking lot and have it land in either of the other two. Needless to say, they get the bulk of my replacement parts business. Not especially crazy about any of them, but for certain things they're okay. I've had good luck with BWD and Standard Motor Products replacement parts and try to stick with those when AC/Delco isn't an option. Case in point...I just replaced the PCV grommet on my car with a generic fit replacement from one of the big box stores. It works, but I'm not at all happy with the fit. I also replaced the grommet in the valve cover for the breather hose. THAT part came from Eckler's because it's just not available anywhere else. The Eckler's part is an EXACT match of the original and I also discovered that the original PCV valve grommet is the exact same part as the valve cover grommet, so I have another one on order to replace the puny generic part. Live and learn.

Like Andy, I'm a little bit concerned about the future of the C4 too. It was a transitional car in Corvette's lineage, and GM was trying a LOT of different ideas with it. Ideas that have long since been surpassed or left behind (i.e., Optispark, etc.). For example you'll always be able to find a quality replacement distributor for a C2 or C3, but let's see where good replacement Optisparks are in another 8 or 10 years.

And yeah, this is the best place on the web for C4 know-how.

Ron
Posted on: 2015/5/21 22:07

toptechx6 Re: State of the C4
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Another critical part I would add to the list Andy is the TV cable for 92/93 automatic cars. Discontinued by GM and unavailable in the aftermarket. Cables do stretch and wear out, when it happens on a 4L60 you can quickly trash the transmission.
Posted on: 2015/5/27 10:26

j3studio Re: State of the C4
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4245 Posts

Quote:

screamin_conure wrote:

The Eckler's part is an EXACT match of the original and I also discovered that the original PCV valve grommet is the exact same part as the valve cover grommet, so I have another one on order to replace the puny generic part.

That's good information.

thumbup

Posted on: 2015/5/27 19:23

Louis, 2012 Centennial Edition Coupe

1989Convertible Re: State of the C4
Guru
Buna Texas
69 Posts

OK I have a 89 what are some of the parts that I should start stocking up for this year model for the future?
Posted on: 2015/10/22 15:35

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

For the 89, you are lucky... the ignition is GM corporate HEI, so no worries there.

If you have a 6spd manual, I would look for some OEM pressure plates and good throw out bearings.

I think engine controllers are ok...

Otherwise, get spare interior pieces and trim.
Posted on: 2015/10/22 16:06

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Hell I have enough parts that I can almost replace every part. What a pile of crap though.
383 Stroker / hydraulic throw out bearing and new transmission were the most essential up grades . The accel intake was great also.
Posted on: 2015/11/3 4:10

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Lest we forget, Steve... the C4 is still an old Chevy... and from about 1974 to 2000, they were not built all that well.

And the Corvette can go back to 1968 with its build quality issues.

Posted on: 2015/11/5 3:20

Matatk Re: State of the C4
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Lest we forget, Steve... the C4 is still an old Chevy... and from about 1974 to 2000, they were not built all that well.

I disagree a little. The build quality on the 79 was horrible. The build quality on the 89 is much better. I've never looked at a 99 to compare. GM did make improvements.
Posted on: 2015/11/5 13:03

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

It's a generality, really. I was looking at the over all build quality, the engineering involved, the drive quality... and most GM products were crap for a long time.

They were, for many years, based on old platforms that didn't age well. The FWD platforms were based on the Citation, the rear drive platform dated to 1977...

Ford was no better, really. The Mustang dated back to 1978, the big Ford LTD to 1979...

There is a reason they call that the "malaise era".

Posted on: 2015/11/5 17:11

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

So why not the C4......?

kits? meh... parts? yes...

Ron Francis has the wiring

http://www.ronfrancis.com/

Posted on: 2015/11/15 16:46

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Unless I am losing my mind... which is possible, I don't see on Ron's site where he has a C4 harness of any kind.

The other problem with the later C4, is translating the CAN based PCM to talk to the older UART based CCM. I have yet to figure out how it can be done. That is bad... very bad...

Posted on: 2015/11/15 18:59

Ultraman Re: State of the C4
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14706 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

I disagree a little. The build quality on the 79 was horrible. The build quality on the 89 is much better. I've never looked at a 99 to compare. GM did make improvements.

The biggest production run ever for the Corvette in 79.....50K units made in St. Louie. I had one back then and I thought it was ok, but if I had it now to compare to what I have, I would no doubt be shocked at the build quality........
Posted on: 2015/11/16 0:59

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

GM's version of quality control is making oval shaped holes so all the screws fit.
Posted on: 2015/11/18 22:11

WW7 Re: State of the C4
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
For the 89, you are lucky... the ignition is GM corporate HEI, so no worries there.

If you have a 6spd manual, I would look for some OEM pressure plates and good throw out bearings.

I think engine controllers are ok...

Otherwise, get spare interior pieces and trim.

One thing they're not making for the 88-89 aftermarket is dash bezels for the instrument cluster...They have them for earlier years but the 88-89 is deeper for the angled cluster..There was a Chinese company that use to make the egr solinoids for the 89 but stopped a few years ago...Guess they got them all back when they failed so they quit making them..When I put my 383 in a few years ago I deleted every piece of emissions crap on the engine, egr, air pump,and all the tubes and pipes that were bolted on went in a box..I'm just glad West Virginia doesn't have emissions tests, makes it much easier to keep an old car running.....WW
Posted on: 2015/11/25 20:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.