Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
208 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  MAF
Mass Air Flow sensor. Used to measure the amount of air entering the intake. This sensor works by heating an element and then measuring the rate of c...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CorvetteBob Clutch pedal removal?
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Ant tips on removing the clutch pedal?

After having repaired the 33 code, I've found that my clutch won't disengage. After looking thru some other tech threads, I'm of the opinion I'm gonna need to replace the master and slave cylinders.

The first order seems to be the removal of the clutch pedal to check and inspect/replace the pin that connects to the master.
Posted on: 2015/5/17 14:13

CorvetteBob Re: Clutch pedal removal?
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

I just now found the other thread on this topic. Chalk up one more brain fart.

http://www.corvetteforum.guru/modules ... hp?topic_id=20583&forum=1
Posted on: 2015/5/17 18:44

bogus Re: Clutch pedal removal?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

oh... no need to remove the pedal itself... but it is a bitch to get down there.

Some pointers:

1. Remove the drivers seat. It will give you a ton more room to work.

2. Remove the carpeted knee pad under the dash. It will get you access to the pedal area.

3. Light... you need light down there, it's very dark and more you can see, the better off you will be.

4. Once you see what's down there, the fix will be obvious.

The master cylinder should have all parts needed already attached to it. What year again? 1987 sticks in my head.

And I was right... I checked Rockauto.com, all of the master cylinders for C4's are preassembled with a shaft, an eyelet end, where the shaft attaches to the pedal. That is more then likely held in place by a big c-clip thing. It might be a bitch to remove, just warning ya, and a bigger bitch to put back in!

The clutch hydraulics on these cars is a pain in the ass on a good day... If they are OEM original, I would replace all parts - master, line and slave, with all new. Then bleed it... bleed it good... They can be tricky to bleed, to say the least. It will take two people.

Rockauto lists a SACHS master for about $100.00. It's more expensive, but it's a good part, more then likely made in Western Europe, vs some unknown place in slave labour Asia... The SACHS slave is about $50.00.

Check with Jim at www.powertorquesystems.com for these parts, too. They specialize in Corvette clutch components. Mostly for the ZF6, but he more then likely has a good recommendation for 4+3 parts.

Posted on: 2015/5/17 19:00

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
oh... no need to remove the pedal itself... but it is a bitch to get down there.

Some pointers:

1. Remove the drivers seat. It will give you a ton more room to work.

2. Remove the carpeted knee pad under the dash. It will get you access to the pedal area.

3. Light... you need light down there, it's very dark and more you can see, the better off you will be.

4. Once you see what's down there, the fix will be obvious.

The master cylinder should have all parts needed already attached to it. What year again? 1987 sticks in my head.

And I was right... I checked Rockauto.com, all of the master cylinders for C4's are preassembled with a shaft, an eyelet end, where the shaft attaches to the pedal. That is more then likely held in place by a big c-clip thing. It might be a bitch to remove, just warning ya, and a bigger bitch to put back in!

The clutch hydraulics on these cars is a pain in the ass on a good day... If they are OEM original, I would replace all parts - master, line and slave, with all new. Then bleed it... bleed it good... They can be tricky to bleed, to say the least. It will take two people.

Rockauto lists a SACHS master for about $100.00. It's more expensive, but it's a good part, more then likely made in Western Europe, vs some unknown place in slave labour Asia... The SACHS slave is about $50.00.

Check with Jim at www.powertorquesystems.com for these parts, too. They specialize in Corvette clutch components. Mostly for the ZF6, but he more then likely has a good recommendation for 4+3 parts.

Thanks Andy! The seats ARE out as you suggest, as is the knee panel. I've been under enough dashes to know that light is needed. Alot of it. I agree, it's kind of an obvious fix. My need to remove the pedal is to repair the pin for the master rod. It seems to have a fair bit of play in it. My problem is that I'm over 6'2", and working with a fairly high mileage frame of my own along with worn out eyeballs, long arms, and large hands.
It's not the getting under there and doing it. It's having to get in and out repeatedly to chase the tools needed for this or that clip, nut, etc...

I'm thinking I'm gonna temporarily remove the cross brace that's under there, unplug/unhook switches, and then go after the pivot bolt.
Does anyone know what size the nut is on the end of the pivot bolt?
Posted on: 2015/5/17 19:48

captmike13 Re: Clutch pedal removal?
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

When you order a new master cylinder it should come with a bushing for the pin to master cylinder rod. Mine fit without one but it seems there are two different sizes for the pedal pin.
Posted on: 2015/5/17 20:09

captmike13@yahoo.com

Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Quote:

captmike13 wrote:
When you order a new master cylinder it should come with a bushing for the pin to master cylinder rod. Mine fit without one but it seems there are two different sizes for the pedal pin.

That's good info. I've seen some of those in pics and wondered if that's what they were for.
Posted on: 2015/5/18 0:50

Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

If you order it through rock auto some of the part number say what the sizes are of the pin.
Posted on: 2015/5/18 15:17

captmike13@yahoo.com

CentralCoaster Re: Clutch pedal removal?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

If you get the m/c with the bushing then it doesn't matter, it will fit either pedal pin size.
Posted on: 2015/5/19 20:26

Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

I think they may all come with it. But I could be wrong.
Posted on: 2015/5/20 0:01

captmike13@yahoo.com

istter1 Re: Clutch pedal removal?
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Mine didn't and I ordered a sh@@ pot of bushings. as they were cheep. The funny thing is you can find one in the help section at AutoZone and trim it to fit. Check the pin the pushrod attaches for ware as mine was half rubbed off allowing for poor contact with the inside of the master cylinder. The Bushing that the pedal goes on also allows the pedal to misalign. Found that out when I took mine apart. With the rod bushing and pedal bushing installed the action is great. Don't recommend removing the pedal just did and my 6'4" son helped and he is still hurting from being down there.

Attach file:

jpg  47842251d1416523042-clutch-pedal-removal-20141120_173559.jpg (40.98 KB)
5144_555bdc2e30f4b.jpg 800X600 px
Posted on: 2015/5/20 1:01

istter1 Re: Clutch pedal removal?
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

pedal out of alignment due to worn parts and bushing

Attach file:

jpg  47842246d1416521621-clutch-pedal-removal-20141120_171026.jpg (75.83 KB)
5144_555bdfe879c7a.jpg 800X600 px

gif  peda;.gif (30.75 KB)
5144_555bdffbe785f.gif 350X283 px
Posted on: 2015/5/20 1:16

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Looks like the cotter pin fell off to get that far off.

I should check on mine, it squeaks. For some reason I think I have no bushing in there, the pedal pin must be full size on the early cars. Maybe the bushing was added for noice.
Posted on: 2015/5/20 5:29

Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Due to work and home type obligations, I've been reading your responses, but haven't been able to respond. As stated before, the seat is out, but I think I'll need to remove my steering wheel to make access much easier. If the pedal pin is worn, I'll probably remove the pedal to repair it. I have the tech to produce a bushing from tool steel if needed, but as far as I can figure, the size of the pin versus the eyelet of the mc are not enough to create a bushing with a thick enough wall to make it work. That decision will be final as I get into the task.
Posted on: 2015/5/23 15:04

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

A bronze bushing would be nice. Mine was metal on metal, I think I rolled up a strip of plastic and stuck it in there. I'd be surprised if it held up. My clutch pedal squeaks during movement fwiw.
Posted on: 2015/5/26 2:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.