Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  CFI
Cross Fire Injection. Method of fuel delivery in the L82 motor. The 1984 is the only C4 to use the L82. This is the same engine used in the 1982 C3. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

hcbph Drivers for Spina Biffida
Senior Guru
269 Posts

Last weekend Suburban Corvettes participated in an event where volunteers drove people with this disease along with family members on a short drive in Corvette's. I was luck enough to be one of those drivers and had one of the best days for this year.

I'm not sure how many cars we had, at least a dozen though it seemed a lot more as the day progressed and it was hard to tell who had the better day, the drivers or the people there. We took them on a ride around the area, saw some streets I've never been to so it was an experience for me and had a wonderful time.

My first rider was to be a young boy about 5 and his sister who was about 3. I wasn't sure about taking both at the same time, but that wasn't to be. Little sister started having tears, so she stayed behind with Daddy. I could barely get a word out of him till we got back and then I got a very proper Thank You for the ride.

My second rider was an 8 year old girl, she was my little puppy. Hands in the air and peeking around the side of the windshield (which amazed me being she was belted in) to get some wind in the face much like a puppy would when in a vehicle with a window open. She acted as my navigator helping keep track of the cars ahead of us, loved having a job to do and did it very well I might add. She told me she was going to have a Vette when she gets older and when we saw a limo on the highway, she was going to have one of those too and party in it.

My 3d rider was hilarious. Older lady and before we started giving rides as she wheeled through the parking area she said she was going to get a ride in the red convertible (mine) before she knew it was mine. When we were getting her into the car, she noticed the route directions and said forget that as we didn't need them. I tossed them under the toneau cover and said that was ok as we'd be following the cars ahead. She said forget that, we could just head out anywhere and have a great drive, I did follow the group though. She had a great time and had participated in the ride in previous years. She was telling me about how many of the kids looked forward all year to the ride, including her.

It was a great day, everyone had smiles a foot wide when they started the rides but it grew to at least 2 feet wide when we got back. It was such a little thing for me but gave me such joy from the smiles and Thank You's I received. I wasn't able to participate last year as the convertible was a little bit dicey then but between what I've done and maybe a little of the Big Man watching over us, she drove perfect.

If you ever get the chance to do something like this, go for it. You'll get far more than you give. I can't put into words the joy I saw when they came back from their rides.

Special thanks to Suburban Corvettes for the opportunity to participate in such a great event.

Paul

PS The lady asked if the Vette has a name, I told her Jessica (As in Jessica Rabbit). Looks great in red, has all the right bumps in the right places and has a very sexy voice. She got quite a chuckle out of that :-)
Posted on: 2015/9/29 10:52
Edited by hcbph on 2015/9/29 11:28:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

teebee Re: Drivers for Spina Biffida
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12351 Posts

Paul, it's a wonderful feeling to do these types of events. I've done a couple and you are right, I'm not sure who gets more out of it.

Great story!
Posted on: 2015/9/29 12:19

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

pianoguy Re: Drivers for Spina Biffida
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Outstanding!
Posted on: 2015/9/29 13:03

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Ultraman Re: Drivers for Spina Biffida
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14706 Posts

Resized Image

Appreciate you taking time to do that.......very cool!
Posted on: 2015/9/29 14:39

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

hcbph Re: Drivers for Spina Biffida
Senior Guru
269 Posts

One thing I thought of but not till I got there. If you have the chance to do something like this, if you have a childs booster seat for the car, take it along.
I have one but forgot to get it out of the truck and I think it would have enhanced the experience for both the 5 & 8 year old passengers I took. They were straining a little to see over the dash in the car as we drove around the neighborhood.
Posted on: 2015/9/30 12:58

Matatk Re: Drivers for Spina Biffida
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

My kids love the Vette, so I can understand how much those other kids enjoyed it. Very nice of you to do that, sounds like a good cause.
Posted on: 2015/9/30 17:20

hcbph Re: Drivers for Spina Biffida
Senior Guru
269 Posts

I was just one of many volunteers. It was the efforts of everyone that made it happen for the kids. I can't claim anything other than the joy of seeing them enjoy the rides.
Most looked like a kid at Christmas time, all wound up and ready to go!
Posted on: 2015/9/30 22:59

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.