Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
231 user(s) are online (202 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  National Corvette Museum
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

rklessdriver Did alot of racing this week
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

This has been a tough year for me with all the changes to the suspension, nitrous system and transmission.... So far we have torched every piston in the engine, NO2 backfired so bad it nearly burned to the ground and had race fuel corroded the carbs into nearly junk.... Been down on power so bad we couldn't make the field and at other times made so much power, the car tried to crash itself or blew the tires off at the hit.... Car has also been running hot and very hard to crank after a few passes....

So everything is back together and we went and tested Thursday. Then raced Saturday.

My brother came up from Ga to help me out and we figured out a lot about what has been going on with the car.

First I changed the car over to a 16v battery and alternator combo.... I have been struggling with cranking the car hot using the 12v set up for a while.... really since I relocated the battery to the back and went to a mini Denso style alternator....

All I can say is 16v on a race car is money well spent. My battery came from XS Power and the alternator is a mini Denso style 70 amp from Classic Chrysler.

First off please excuse the video... I haven't figured out how to rotate them yet.....

Here is a video from the Thursday night test session. This is a local track on test and tune night - So the track was a skating rink past the starting line.... I made 4 hits. 2 were total blow the tires off at the hit.... then we took ALL the power out for 1 second to get it down the track pretty good. 5.69@122mph.

[URL=http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/VID_20151008_201728330_zpsizvupoah.mp4]Resized Image[/URL]

On Saturday I hooked my in car Go-Pro up and used it to see the WB02.... been having problem with the car surging on the big end and I knew it was going lean but couldn't prove it because who can watch a WB02 at 125MPH.... It's pretty crazy how the AF is right on 12.2ish for most of the run then creeps up to over 15.1 just before the traps.....

[URL=http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/002_zpseard6n8v.mp4]Resized Image[/URL]

[URL=http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/004_zpsqslfzgg8.mp4]Resized Image[/URL]

These passes are my test hit and 1st round qualifying.... 5.69 and 5.79. The car chattered the tires in Q1 and you can see I have to drive the car all the way thru low gear.

2nd round qualifying was a total bust as was 1st round eliminations.... Car blew the tires off at the hit.... however it was not total loss. We 100% got proof of what was happening and figured out why the car randomly blows the tires off at the hit....

My progressive nitrous controller which has been working flawless for going on 3 seasons, is going bad.... and hitting a 10.5 tire with over 1100hp is not going to work. I noticed the controller switching screens and going crazy while I was in the burn out box preparing for my E1 pass....

I have already been in contact with the mfgr and he is going to fix the controller for me.

Now I just have to figure out the lean condition at high speeds. I think it's a pressure differential problem with my cowl scoop which is not sealed to a air pan (it's just a big open hole in the hood above the carb.... but since the scoop is flush with the windshield.... maybe air is coming up from the engine compartment and backing up against the windshield.

I really need to get my act together here.... Next year is going to be crazy judging from what the top cars in the class just did at the last race. 2 cars went 5.17 and a number of guys are in the 5.20's and 5.30's already....

Will
Posted on: 2015/10/13 19:28

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Did alot of racing this week
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Nobody ever said "Racing's easy".
Posted on: 2015/10/13 20:02

Matatk Re: Did alot of racing this week
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

5.69@122? Why so slow

Hope the controller fixes the one problem, and something as simple as sealing around the carb can fix the other.
Posted on: 2015/10/14 2:07

rklessdriver Re: Did alot of racing this week
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I know - Hard to believe mid 5's in the 1/8 mile in a 3180lbs car (totally street legal BTW).... is slow.

But it's really hard to go fast when the lean condition is totally killing MPH and the controller messing up is always at the worst possible time and I don't learn anything from the changes I made....

It's coming around slowly. Heck I'm still on a 31N jet in fogger which is the baby tune up.... the class mandated maximum 36N jet is going to give it a big jump in power.

You got to crawl before you walk and I just don't feel like we have enough info about how the current tune up responds to changes to put the big tune up in her yet.

Last race of this season is in a few weeks on Oct 31. I might throw a few hail Mary's at it then, since I have to tear the engine down over the winter anyway.
Will
Posted on: 2015/10/14 12:58

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.