Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
193 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

teebee, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Automatic Slip Regulation
Also known as ASR; ie traction control.

Standard on all C4s starting in 1992....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CSS996 Tuesday Chat 01.29.08
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Good Morning Gurus!

How YOU doin'?

I bought a surround sound receiver last night. Taking it back today after work.... It is a Harman/Kardon AVR-146. I told the sales guy that I had a PS3 and an LCD TV that were 1080 and HDMI capable, and I wanted a unit that worked with those things.

The amp I asked him about was this H/K amp that has two HDMI inputs and one HDMI output. He said it would do the trick. Well, he was half right. I guess the HDMI ports pass video and not audio. And after reading reviews on the unit, it looks like it is not the choice for me. I was trying to get into a unit for under $500. Not sure if I can find something that will fit my needs or not.

Anyway, I should have known that I need to do my own research before making a purchase like that. I trusted this guy to point me in the right direction, but he probably doesn't give a crap what I go home with. I can only blame myself.

I'll start another post, so maybe someone can help me find what I am looking for.

Hopefully everyone had a pleasant evening and is looking at a super day!
Posted on: 2008/1/29 15:21

CSS996 RE:Tuesday Chat 01.29.08
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Hey, I forgot to mention this.... Kind of a funny story.

Before I went looking for my AV Receiver, my wife and I had dinner together without the kids. We try to do that once a month or so, because it is nice to have a conversation without a 3 year old interjecting interesting comments like "I need a snack!, or "I POOOOOOPIEEEEED! Can somebody WIPE MEEEEEEE?"

Anyway, over the past couple months, I have refrained from getting my hair cut. I used to be king mullet, back in the late 80's and early 90's. Spiked on top, and about down to my arse in the back. Now, I realize that is a recipe for disaster these days, but I miss having long hair. SO.... I am letting it all grow out. It is getting long enough where it is well beyond my collar in the back, and about down to my nose in the front if I did not comb it back.

Anyway, last night at dinner, a server brought our dessert out to us, and he came from behind me. "Here you go, ladies!" he says, then rounds the booth to find me looking at him. "Oh, sorry about that, sir..." I can't get mad about it. I'm totally asking for it. But it sure did bring back memories of decades ago. Almost made me feel younger.

OK, stupid story. Just wanted to share....
Posted on: 2008/1/29 16:17

CentralCoaster RE:Tuesday Chat 01.29.08
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Resized Image

Think of the children!
Posted on: 2008/1/29 17:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CSS996 RE:Tuesday Chat 01.29.08
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

If only that was still cool!
Posted on: 2008/1/29 18:10

smooth RE:Tuesday Chat 01.29.08
Senior Guru
Formerly "Aquavet" in Pa.
386 Posts

yea.....me too.

I played bass in an 80s cover band and had the standard issue mullet..

good times my friends....good times (wish I could remember them!!)
Posted on: 2008/1/29 18:15

TommyT-Bone RE:Tuesday Chat 01.29.08
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33755 Posts

AAaahhhh.. My eyes, my eyes.

Hell of a day so far. Put up the mailbox that a teenaged neighbor knocked over. I saw them all sitting around in their yard the other day and asked who knocked it over. One of them admitted to it. At least they were honest about it and offered to help. Got a bill from my local hospital for an ER visit over a year ago through their collection attorney. I never even got a f'n bill. Dug through the records and am getting that straightened out. Doing a lot of little chores as I can. I still have some daylight left. Off I go ............
Posted on: 2008/1/29 20:11

RollaMo-LT4 RE:Tuesday Chat 01.29.08
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

Holy crap............. Only in Missouri!
At noon today, it was sunny and 65 degrees. A few scattered clouds and very, very windy.

And, just as they predicted the cold front pushes through. Right now it is 19 degrees and snowing! Not a heavy snowstorm, but still enough the ground has turned white.

Supposed to be 7 degrees by morning.

Oh well, another day closer to spring.
Posted on: 2008/1/29 22:31

apeacefulstorm RE:Tuesday Chat 01.29.08
Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

got the car repaired and am back on the road.... they put in the VATS bypass and fixed the wire that had broken..... need to get one of the pins in the steering column replaced as its loose on one side....
Posted on: 2008/1/29 22:35

vetteblondie RE:Tuesday Chat 01.29.08
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4638 Posts

[quote]Holy crap............. Only in Missouri! :banghead]

Your weather sounds like ours!
Always said if you don't like your weather, come to Arkansas, it changes daily!
It rained this morning and by this afternoonit was 65 and sunny perfectly calm here, and now the wind is horrendous and the temp is steadily falling. Projected 19 here tonight with windchill at zero. Billboards and semis being blown down.
And that much dreaded phone call from the vette shop - beginning to look worse than I'd thought...
Posted on: 2008/1/29 22:40

tobijohn RE:Tuesday Chat 01.29.08
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:
...I used to be king mullet, back in the late 80's and early 90's. Spiked on top, and about down to my arse in the back. Now, I realize that is a recipe for disaster these days, but I miss having long hair...

Someone needs to start a "Post an old high school/college picture of yourself" thread..
Posted on: 2008/1/29 22:50

AIRFOIL FREE!

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:
...And that much dreaded phone call from the vette shop - beginning to look worse than I'd thought...

I was wondering what ever happened with that. So, whatever happened with that?
Posted on: 2008/1/29 22:51

Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

Quote:

Your weather sounds like ours!
Always said if you don't like your weather, come to Arkansas, it changes daily!
It rained this morning and by this afternoonit was 65 and sunny perfectly calm here, and now the wind is horrendous and the temp is steadily falling. Projected 19 here tonight with windchill at zero. Billboards and semis being blown down.

Yeah, your about 200 miles south east of me. With the wind blowing at 50mph, it didn't take long to get there.
Posted on: 2008/1/29 23:08

pianoguy RE:Tuesday Chat 01.29.08
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

[quote]If only that was still cool! :banghead]

I'm working on a reverse-Mohawk, myself :tongue:
Posted on: 2008/1/29 23:31

red_johnny RE:Tuesday Chat 01.29.08
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

I am glad today is over. Work sucked. I feel like I am doing everything in my office probablly cause I am I am sick of doing my job, plus the job of two others AND my bosses job. Anyway, pretty soon the winds of change will happen and I will be back to normal load again.
Posted on: 2008/1/29 23:38

pianoguy RE:Tuesday Chat 01.29.08
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

[quote]Holy crap............. Only in Missouri! :banghead]

That's practically beach weather here. Right now it's -9 with -35 wind chill. It's supposed to get cold later.
Posted on: 2008/1/29 23:58

Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

Quote:

That's practically beach weather here. Right now it's -9 with -35 wind chill. It's supposed to get cold later.

Yeah, but you probably were not teased by 65 and sunny at noon either.

To be honest, I don't see how you guys too far up north.
Posted on: 2008/1/30 0:32

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4638 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
...And that much dreaded phone call from the vette shop - beginning to look worse than I'd thought...

I was wondering what ever happened with that. So, whatever happened with that?

They FINALLY got around to looking at it today after over a week. Argued with me on the ignition module, I KNOW it's new I PUT IT ON THERE, and then he asked about the one in the distributor...??? (Hmmm, mine is an OPTI - don't recall seeing one of those in there last time I looked inside one - however on my 87.....)
Anyway, he told me that he thought it might be a wiring issue, he got different code than I got but can't remember now. Think P1357? High ignition voltage. Anywho, there will be much $$$ on labor as he is taking off water pump and all that biz in order to look. Keep fingers crossed and keep me and Little Miss in your prayers - as well as my checkbook. Out $629 on rack assembly 2 weeks ago and 2 shocks, plus recently, 02 harness repair, removal of center muffler and alternator rebuild. Been a crappy year. And now, I'm sure you saw my 42" plasma tv trouble post recently. I'm ready for some GOOD news! :thumbright:
Posted on: 2008/1/30 2:38

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:
They FINALLY got around to looking at it today after over a week. Argued with me on the ignition module, I KNOW it's new I PUT IT ON THERE, and then he asked about the one in the distributor...??? (Hmmm, mine is an OPTI - don't recall seeing one of those in there last time I looked inside one - however on my 87.....)
Anyway, he told me that he thought it might be a wiring issue, he got different code than I got but can't remember now. Think P1357? High ignition voltage. Anywho, there will be much $$$ on labor as he is taking off water pump and all that biz in order to look. Keep fingers crossed and keep me and Little Miss in your prayers - as well as my checkbook.

Just about everyone else here is more qualified to evaluate this than I am but something sounds way wrong to me. First off, I don't believe you need to take the water pump off to examine the Opti, and there is no DTC P1357 in the FSM. There is a DTC P1351 IC Circuit High Voltage but it has nothing to do with the Optispark. And according to the FSM troubleshooting chart, if you've already replaced the Ignition Coil module then the only other things it could be is an open Ignition Coil ground circuit or a bad IC circuit. Again, I'm just following the chart for P1351 but it doesn't sound to me like the guy at the shop knows what he's doing...
Posted on: 2008/1/30 3:32

Oaklands RE:Tuesday Chat 01.29.08
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Fun day:

Go to work, wait for one of my employees to get in. Go take our laundry to have it cleaned and forgot to take the detergent and fabric softener. Go pay the mechanic for putting shocks on my old sh*t truck. He is sitting around talking w/some lady. Pay him, go to Chic Filet for biscuit run. Drop biscuit to employee, take biscuits to wife and son, pick up detergent and fabric softener head back to laundromat for our friend to wash the clothes.

Drive by the mechanic and he is sitting at his desk. Drop stuff off at laundromat. Go back by the mechanic's shop, he is still sitting around (Hmm maybe this is why he is always running behind.)

Go to office, neighbor calls w/computer problems. I go to their house for about 1 hour, oh BTW while your here, I can't get my IPOD to work that was given to me for Christmas, can you help. She is on dial up. Go to Itunes, going to take about 10 hours to d/l. Oh let me d/l it at work for you 1 minute and 30 secs and I will load it for you later.

Back to office, employee wants to early vote. OK cya. He gets back, wife jumps on IM and says come home now, son just fell off couch on his head. He is holding his neck.

Leave office, go home and check on kid, stick around for 30 minutes to make sure he is ok. Durn it is 2:00 now, so I make the employee and I a sandwich to take back to office. Get a couple of phone calls and get very little done. It is 5:00, need to take neighbors Itunes to her. Get that done then have to show her how to work it. Never done it before myself. Find out it has a little lock on the bottom. Son is with me checking out everything in their house.

Go home, wife sends me to store for suppositories, all the pain medicine they have had her on before Friday's upcoming surgery. Kid is acting like he has had about 3 Red Bulls. It is starting to rain, (thanks to you guys in MO and AK sending it our way hehe), so i tell the wife to call us in an order as it is too late to cook. Kid wants to feed his pizza to the dog instead of eating it.

What a day. Now the storms are starting to hit. Better get my butt to bed so I can start all over again tomorrow.

WHAT A DAY!!
Posted on: 2008/1/30 5:01

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4638 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Anyway, he told me that he thought it might be a wiring issue, he got different code than I got but can't remember now. Think P1357? High ignition voltage. Anywho, there will be much $$$ on labor as he is taking off water pump and all that biz in order to look. Keep fingers crossed and keep me and Little Miss in your prayers - as well as my checkbook.

Just about everyone else here is more qualified to evaluate this than I am but something sounds way wrong to me. First off, I don't believe you need to take the water pump off to examine the Opti, and there is no DTC P1357 in the FSM. There is a DTC P1351 IC Circuit High Voltage but it has nothing to do with the Optispark. And according to the FSM troubleshooting chart, if you've already replaced the Ignition Coil module then the only other things it could be is an open Ignition Coil ground circuit or a bad IC circuit. Again, I'm just following the chart for P1351 but it doesn't sound to me like the guy at the shop knows what he's doing...

You are probably right about the code, I was trying to go off memory. But I did kinda worry when I had to tell him that there wasn't really a distributor so to speak in there....
Posted on: 2008/1/31 2:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.