Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
225 user(s) are online (193 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Z25
Refers to 1993 Anniversary Editions; also known as Ruby.

These are the actual cars honored as anniversary cars.

They have RPO Z25 to prove it....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

j3studio Lauren: An Appreciation
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4246 Posts

This weekend was a busy one, as I did the twice yearly update to a fairly large web site.

I finished up on Sunday afternoon at about 6:00 PM and for some reason decided to take the 1985 out. My wife Ivelis looked at me with a degree of surprise when I announced my plan. This doesn’t follow my usual pattern for Sunday evenings—usually I work on one of my time-inhaling books.

I pulled the car out of the garage and loaded the usual emergency stuff in the back; a quart of oil, three different multi-tools, and the snazzy combo lithium-ion jump starter. As usual, Lauren’s light blue metallic paint looked it’s best in the setting sun—I remember seeing that first C4 at a similar time of day in the summer of 1983.

I headed west along one of the local main drags. With the weather in the low 50s, the car felt alive as I took the easy left onto the the 330-year-old Conestoga Road which winds back and forth as it first heads under the century old Philadelphia and Western tracks and then past the 150-year-old Agnes Irwin School. The beauty of William Penn’s “Greene Country Townes” was easily seen—for a coupe, Lauren is just so open, with those thin A pillars and the clear top above.

It was starting to get darker, so I reached up and pulled the headlights on. They rotated in sync and with reasonably alacrity. The headlight motors are original and still working at almost 78,000 miles—how long will it be until I do the bronze gear replacement for the original nylon ones?

I took another left onto Route 320 (another 330-year-old road) and opened Lauren up a little bit in the sweeping turns heading south, enjoying the effortless delivery of premium gasoline from the new fuel pump. The asphalt on 320 is in fairly good shape and I was reminded of how well the 1985 with the Z51 performance handling package handles on good roads—at speed so wonderfully light on its feet.

As I waited at the light before taking the left onto Bryn Mawr Avenue, Lauren rumbled and twitched—the new fuel pump hasn’t made that go away, though the car is notably quieter at idle. Speeds slowed down notably as I got within a mile of home and things become both less woody and more built up.

I caught a few sets of folks looking at Lauren at the intersection of Bryn Mawr Avenue and Haverford Road—early C4s, especially original ones with at least acceptable paint, are now rare where I live. The reactions are also different by age; older folks obviously have specific memories from when these cars were new or relatively new, while children completely obsess on the rotating headlights; a feature that disappeared when the C5 and the Lotus Esprit exited their 2004 model years.

Two blocks later, we’re back home. I pulled into bay #1 gently, aligning my position in the car with the Lauren-specific tape marker on the wall. Shut the car down, get out, walk back to the house …

Posted on: 2016/5/16 14:28
Edited by j3studio on 2016/5/16 15:06:07
Edited by j3studio on 2016/5/16 15:07:00

pianoguy Re: Lauren: An Appreciation
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Excellent post!
Posted on: 2016/5/16 14:38

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

j3studio Re: Lauren: An Appreciation
Elite Guru
4246 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

Excellent post!

Thank you, Brad. Guru hears so much about Lauren-related carnage that I figure you deserve some of the good stuff ...

Posted on: 2016/5/16 15:29

donhall Re: Lauren: An Appreciation
Senior Guru
297 Posts

Re: Lauren: An Appreciation

Quote:

j3studio wrote:

....and loaded the usual emergency stuff in the back; a quart of oil, three different multi-tools, and the snazzy combo lithium-ion jump starter.

Nicely written. Appreciated more if you are a C4 owner. Thank you!

Tire deflation is a major concern for me, even though I have never experienced a flat in over 40+ years of Corvette ownership. A working spare is in the cradle, but
road flares, a 12V air-compressor, and a can of Fix-a-Flat are included with my "emergency stuff" (cell phone and road service contact # are a given).

At age 84, just in-and-out of the vette is a difficult and painful exercise, so emergency road maintenance is to be alleviated, or minimized.

Posted on: 2016/5/16 15:39

Ultraman Re: Lauren: An Appreciation
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14734 Posts

Nicely done John......good to get the old girl out for a spin......

Don.....I hope I can get in and out of my Corvette at that age.....well done indeed.......
Posted on: 2016/5/16 15:58

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Elite Guru
4246 Posts

Quote:
Ultraman wrote:

Don ... I hope I can get in and out of my Corvette at that age ... well done indeed ...

Agreed. The inability to enter and exit would be the likely reason for me to exit C4 ownership.
Posted on: 2016/5/16 16:05

GRIS Re: Lauren: An Appreciation
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7637 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote:
---the usual emergency stuff in the back; a quart of oil, three different multi-tools, and the snazzy combo lithium-ion jump starter.

LIFE IS SIMPLER IN THE IND'N NATIONS. MY EMERGENCY STUFF IS A CELL PHONE AND A .45 ;-)

AND I DO BELIEVE MY '87 IT THE FAVORITE.
Posted on: 2016/5/16 16:19

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

Senior Guru
297 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote:
Quote:
Ultraman wrote:

Don ... I hope I can get in and out of my Corvette at that age ... well done indeed ...

Agreed. The inability to enter and exit would be the likely reason for me to exit C4 ownership.

Sold my '93 ruby vert after 12 years of ownership, as I knew my disability (arthritis) was only going to worsen. After about a year without a vette, not much else mattered (yes, I have led a very full life), so I bought a 2002 C5 vert after hearing and reading about the C5 being more user-friendly in-out. Not so, for me. Sold the C5 after 1 year, and found a nice '92 C4 because of my C4 style preference, and added $12K to my stock account.

Posted on: 2016/5/16 16:35

Elite Guru
4246 Posts

Quote:
donhall wrote:

Sold my '93 ruby vert after 12 years of ownership, as I knew my disability (arthritis) was only going to worsen. After about a year without a vette, not much else mattered (yes, I have led a very full life), so I bought a 2002 C5 vert after hearing and reading about the C5 being more user-friendly in-out. Not so, for me. Sold the C5 after 1 year, and found a nice '92 C4 because of my C4 style preference, and added $12K to my stock account.

That's a good point. I don't think anybody can argue that the C5 is more comfortable for the average person (if only because they managed to use the correct size human dimensions), but we aren't average. Positives for one set of body types may be negatives for another set.
Posted on: 2016/5/16 18:36

bogus Re: Lauren: An Appreciation
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

donhall wrote:
Re: Lauren: An Appreciation

Quote:

j3studio wrote:

....and loaded the usual emergency stuff in the back; a quart of oil, three different multi-tools, and the snazzy combo lithium-ion jump starter.

Nicely written. Appreciated more if you are a C4 owner. Thank you!

Tire deflation is a major concern for me, even though I have never experienced a flat in over 40+ years of Corvette ownership. A working spare is in the cradle, but
road flares, a 12V air-compressor, and a can of Fix-a-Flat are included with my "emergency stuff" (cell phone and road service contact # are a given).

At age 84, just in-and-out of the vette is a difficult and painful exercise, so emergency road maintenance is to be alleviated, or minimized.

That also applies to old British and Italian cars.

Great write up, John!

Posted on: 2016/5/16 19:42

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
297 Posts

bogus wrote:
[/quote]....That also applies to old British and Italian cars....[/quote]

Only a person of considerable wealth would appreciate the need for maintenance
tools required for the cited vehicles. Kudos, Andy.
Posted on: 2016/5/16 20:30

bogus Re: Lauren: An Appreciation
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

donhall wrote:
bogus wrote:
....That also applies to old British and Italian cars....[/quote]

Only a person of considerable wealth would appreciate the need for maintenance
tools required for the cited vehicles. Kudos, Andy.[/quote]

I have experience... Several years ago, I had the honour of caretaking a 1960 Jaguar XK-150 Type S roadster. A dear friend had passed and his widow could not drive the car... manuals were beyond her and the old Moss 4spd was way beyond...

You learn... fast!

Quick fix? Oil in the SU carbs does wonders.
Posted on: 2016/5/17 16:43

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
4246 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Quick fix? Oil in the SU carbs does wonders.

carburetor: French for "don't touch it!"

Posted on: 2016/5/18 16:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.