Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
231 user(s) are online (204 user(s) are browsing Forums)

bogus, more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

j3studio RIP Dan Gurney
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4246 Posts

Dan Gurney passed yesterday, January 14th. He died of complications following pneumonia. He was 86.

Though he had finished his racing career by the time I was coherent, he was still a hero of mine. Like Andretti and Foyt, Gurney seemed to move effortlessly between different types of racing. But Dan was more than just a driver: he invented the Gurney flap, was a very early user of full-face helmets, and (of course) created the post-victory champagne spray celebration.

Gurney seems a very modern race car driver, though he started racing in the late 1950s. Quite tall for a racer (6 feet 4 inches) and ridiculously good-looking, he became an emblem of California cool to the racing world.

The redoubtable Andy Blackmore has quickly produced a commemorative helmet sticker. I hope to see them when we are down at the Rolex at the end of this month.

"At no time did we exceed 175 mph."—Dan Gurney following his win of the first Cannonball Run.

Posted on: 2018/1/15 15:23
Edited by j3studio on 2018/1/15 15:46:01

pianoguy Re: RIP Dan Gurney
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Jeez, I hadn't heard that - RIP to an icon. He had a mighty fine run.
Posted on: 2018/1/15 18:04

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Ultraman Re: RIP Dan Gurney
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14728 Posts

..."at no time did we exceed 175 mph.... Classic....
Posted on: 2018/1/15 18:28

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

bogus Re: RIP Dan Gurney
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I had the privledge to meet Dan on more than one occasion... the first time was at the 12 Hours of Sebring, March, 1992.

It was the Thursday before the race and I was barely handling a killer case of sensory overload.

That morning, a storm blew through the area and a bunch of us too cover in a vendor tent in the paddock, behind the hot pits. I then wandered back to the garage area and found myself at the hauler for the Gurney AAR team. I was staring at the Eagle Mk IV when another storm blew in... A young man was going around, dropping the side panels of the big tent thingy attached to the truck. As he lowered it, Dan stepped out of the trailer and told us (there were three of us standing outside the tent, looking at the car) to step in and wait out the storm in the tent!

We stood there, in near silence, about 1' away from the #98 Eagle, driven by JM Fangio, that won the race on Saturday.

A memory from a decent human being. He didn't have to do that. I never saw the other men again.

I shared this with Dan a few years later and thanked him again. I doubt he remembered doing it... but it just goes to show what type of person he really was.

He will be missed.
Posted on: 2018/1/16 14:29

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.