Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
242 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone 05.21.18
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33758 Posts

G'mornin.
Posted on: 2018/5/21 12:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: 05.21.18
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33758 Posts

Went to dinner with some guys I worked with in the P.O.. Three of us retired, the other two retiring within the next year. Two of them I've known closely since the early 80's so we have plenty of remember when stories. When we worked together we had a special bond. We looked out for each other, worked hard together and even avoided calling in sick to prevent putting a heavier load on our workmates. This team of workers clicked for quite awhile unmanaged. Yup, no bosses in house. We were good at what we did and worked best when left alone. Trying to enforce strict guidelines, hard ass tactics or major changes in operation because of an "I'm the boss" mentality often backfired. They resulted in grievances being filed with the union, calls to the safety office, use of sick leave and a number of other supervisor behavior modification applications we were prepared to use. After piling up a supervisor with a months worth of paperwork they usually eased there positions and tried to listen to why things work as they work. I've even gone to the point of telling a boss "If you want to micro manage everything I do, fine. I'll only do what YOU tell me to do. If you have me do this then that won't get done. Which do you want done, this or that. Both was often the bosses response. Can't happen. Can't do two jobs at once. I can do this or I can do that. Pick one. One of the ways we coped with stress and pressure was through humor. We laughed often. Last night at the dinner table my buddy Eddie brought up an age old story while I was eating my salad. I busted a gut laugh with a full mouth. Covered my mouth as salad dressing and lettuce spewed forth through the cracks accosting my cross table mates with salad specs. I regained composure only to once again fall victim to laughing with the same result. I really can't remember when I laughed this hard. It would have to be back when I was a kid. Even tears flowed from laughing so hard. We don't get together often but when we do ..... it's a hoot. We always share a big hugs when it's time to go. Friendships like that are evidence of a life well lived.
Posted on: 2018/5/21 12:59

GRIS Re: 05.21.18
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7629 Posts

IT'S A GRAY DAY IN THE NATIONS, OVERCAST, SEMI-DISMAL. LOTS OF ERRANDS TO RUN TODAY, CAR TAGS, DOG FOOD, X-BRACE DROP OFF.

LOOKS LIKE THE BEAR CUB THAT WAS ON OUR PATIO A YEAR OR SO AGO SURVIVED AND IS ALL GROWN UP. HE WAS APPARENTLY MOTHERLESS AND I'VE OFTEN WONDERED IF HE MADE IT ON HIS OWN.

http://ktul.com/news/local/fort-gibso ... bout-black-bear-sightings

I WONDER IF THE FOUNDING FATHERS INTENDED FREEDOM OF THE PRESS TO INCLUDE FREEDOM FROM RESPONSIBILITY.
Posted on: 2018/5/21 13:12

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

pianoguy Re: 05.21.18
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Howdy! I was gonna drive the Vette today, but saw there is a chance of showers, so I didn't want to risk it melting. Maybe tomorrow - and if I do, I think I'll pop the top.

Good times, Tommy - I wish people got to laugh like that more often, the world would be a better place. I've always thought the best thing a boss can do is stay the hell out of the way and let people do their jobs, and remove whatever obstacles are in their way.

Hope this isn't your orphaned cub, GRIS:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8kjY9sKdHlY

Have a good day, all!
Posted on: 2018/5/21 13:21

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

GRIS Re: 05.21.18
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7629 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Good times, Tommy - I wish people got to laugh like that more often, the world would be a better place. I've always thought the best thing a boss can do is stay the hell out of the way and let people do their jobs, and remove whatever obstacles are in their way.

EXACTLY. WHEN I BECAME DIVISION CHIEF THE PANTYWAIST ASSISTANT DIRECTOR ASKED ME WHAT MY "MANAGEMENT THEORY" WAS. TOLD HIM I DIDN'T HAVE ONE; I JUST HIRE GOOD PEOPLE, PUT THEM IN THE RIGHT SLOT, MAKE SURE THEY KNOW WHAT HAS TO BE DONE, GET THEM THE TOOLS AND TIME TO DO IT, AND GET OUT OF THEIR WAY. I DID NOT MENTION THAT ONE OF MY MAIN FUNCTION WOULD BE TO PROTECT MY PEOPLE FROM THE UNREALISTIC FANTASIES FLOATING DOWN FROM HIGHER UP, AND THE COMPLAINTS OF THE DISGRUNTLED ;-)
Posted on: 2018/5/21 14:32

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

Ultraman Re: 05.21.18
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14730 Posts

I hate Pantywaists........

As my own boss for 35 years I just stayed out of my own way......sometimes I have had to chew my own ass out......and have filed complaints on myself several times.....but not much happened...... My wife has said several times I should kick my own ass for making myself work so hard......and I was not getting paid enough to take this kind of bullchit...... So as you can see life ain't easy when you are the boss and the employee.....
Posted on: 2018/5/21 15:32

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Matatk Re: 05.21.18
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

More rain here today coupled with cold weather. Glad I cut the grass yesterday.

Tommy, glad you had a nice meal with some good laughs. But that management style is unfortunately not limited to the post office. Most professional jobs are staffed by people who know what to do, how to do it, and when to do it. Throw a supervisor in there who "knows better" and it usually results in a negative outcome. I've known guys who were good at any particular job and as soon as they became a supervisor their IQ dropped 30 points. Weird.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Posted on: 2018/5/21 15:38

pianoguy Re: 05.21.18
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

The bear clip reminded me of one of my all-time favorite commercials:

Posted on: 2018/5/21 16:10

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33758 Posts

One of the best, Brad.
Posted on: 2018/5/21 21:20

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33758 Posts

Another favorite of mine, non commercial ....

Posted on: 2018/5/21 21:21

vetteblondie Re: 05.21.18
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4642 Posts

Sounds like great friends indeed , Tommy!
Day off today, accomplished nothing but one load of laundry and a two hour nap. wanted to get in the pool as was my plan but it rained most of the day. I know we need rain this summer but we don't need it all at one time. Dawg needs a bath, she smells horrible and insists on being two inches from my heels everywhere I go.
Went to the lake this weekend to try the scuba diving thing. As much as I've always wanted to do this, just might not be the thing for me. Give me a mask, snorkel and nothing else, and I'll be anywhere I can. Give me a floatation device, a suit to keep me warm, fins to help me swim, a regulator and air to let me breathe and tell me I can go underwater safely anywhere I want and I just can't deal with it. Makes absolutely no sense. Fins got in my way big time, so did the wet suit and hood, Can't get me to sink properly, have some stuff to work on and might give it another shot not sure yet. After two days my head still feels all plugged up and ears still feel full of crap. I equalized often but still feel plugged up in the top part of my head similar to upper head cold. Worn out today as well. All I want to do is sleep and carb craving like a mofo.
Anyone certified? This normal?
Posted on: 2018/5/21 23:26

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

teebee Re: 05.21.18
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12359 Posts

Hey guys...we were up early and out the door for the drive to Goodland (about 2 hours). We took GS#1 up there to get him enrolled in the carpentry program. It was pretty much an all day affair, by the time we got back home. We did make it back in time for me to go out to mens nights golf. I struck the ball well, but we couldn't score worth a hoot.

Tommy, those are good times and you wonder why you don't do it more often. Letty, never tried, so can't say whether or not it is common. I have issues enough with my ears, don't want to push my luck. The best bosses I've had were the ones that, more or less, told me what my responsibilities were, then just got out of my way and let me do what I was hired to do. Those that wanted to micromanage always set me off.

It was a really pretty day....once the fog burned off and a nice evening for golfing.
Posted on: 2018/5/22 2:07

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33758 Posts

Letty
, I live in South Florida and close to the Florida keys. I have friends that dive. Never been my cup of tea. I do like to snorkel and and kick around with fins. Unfortunately I have a brand new set of fins, mask and snorkel waiting for me and they've never seen the water. I've had them for years stored in the garage. Boat waits for me to take it out. Over a year now and I'm sure the fuel has stuff growing in it. Just bought a transfer pump to pump out the junk. Sue keeps coming up with $#!+ that keeps me too busy for DNBFS. Awaiting finishing up on the new property. probably 6-8 weeks away. Till then

Attach file:

png  grindstone.png (189.80 KB)
852_5b03983e6b7f0.png 400X300 px
Posted on: 2018/5/22 4:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.