Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
154 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Cigarette Lighter
Does it work?

If not, the fuse is hidden… behind the Driver Information Center (DIC) on the 1984-1989, and under the right knee bolster on the ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bearcat Changing gauges in an L98 C4
Guru Newb
West Texas
19 Posts

Hey folks. Sorry this is long.
I admit I haven't been on here too much in the past. But I've been missing tech talk in my other forum. All the tech guys have left. I guess I need to get my gearhead fix elsewhere...such as here.

Anyway, Life has been nuts the last 4 or 5 years, and is finally settling down.

I picked up a 1988 Corvette. Pretty, and had some nice mods, but suffered from a bad previous owner.
We have no smog test where I live. So the smog pump is gone. A true dual exhaust with no cats runs back to a pair of Flowmaster 40 series Loud-as-heck mufflers...but I like it.
It's got a foil, and someone in the past knew what they were doing when they ported the upper plenum. The front screen is in place on the MAF, but the rear screen has been cut out. And, it has a chip, but I don't know exactly what kind.

It has C5 Z06 wheels, and the car is white. It's quick off the line, but I'm planning a 383 for it.
Just because...a car optimized for torque is better off with a torque engine, instead of spending thousands trying to get the TPI to breath another 1000 rpm.

The only think I don't like is the Star Trek Enterprise gauges. They look completely tacky to me. I do kind of like the center info-gauges. They're handy. But I don't like the digital and bar graph tach and speedo.

Lately I've been wanting to change the gauges, and either go with a totally custom dash panel, and analog gauges. However, I might just want to keep the center info-gauges that show all the vital signs, and only change out the tack and speedometer.

So my question is, is that possible?
Or do I need to replace all of them if I do that?
Posted on: 2018/9/10 3:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Changing gauges in an L98 C4
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Here's a plug-n-play kit if you're so inclined:

http://vettaid.com/c4-gauge-packages/

Guys have made their own for less money but this is a simple solution.

Here is some good info:

http://batee.com/corvette/dcrg/analog_dash/
Posted on: 2018/9/12 3:31

bearcat Re: Changing gauges in an L98 C4
Guru Newb
West Texas
19 Posts

That's very useful information. Thank you.
Still reading through it, but right away I see I have to be careful which speedometer I choose.

Either a programmable or a GPS-calibrated speedometer would be best. That might cut down my choices quite a bit.

It might not be possible to save the electronic vitals gauges in the center. I don't know until I get into it. If I can, they don't bother me so much. But it might look better if I went entirely analog with my gauges.

The article mentions harming resale value.
...On a $4000 car? What resale value?

I test drove my '88 and I was impressed enough by the performance modifications that I offered 4 grand, and they took it! And aside from a few minor repairs, it's been the best performance deal I've ever made.
Second best was a '68 Firebird I paid $6500 for.
Posted on: 2018/9/15 15:03
'88 C4 Corvette

Matatk Re: Changing gauges in an L98 C4
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

If that's too much for you then maybe you will learn to live with the dashboard. Another uncommon but viable mod is to find an old dashboard out of a Firebird from a similar vintage. They are hard to find but are analog. If you do an internet search you will find some swap info.
Posted on: 2018/9/17 6:21

bogus Re: Changing gauges in an L98 C4
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Bearcat - realize many of those sites were written when the C4 still had book value.

I agree, I don't like the digi-dash either, but it is a neat bit of retro kitsch these days. The bigger part was the 85mph limit... and the crap accuracy of the tach.

As for an engine, have you considered an LSx swap? What trans does it have?
Posted on: 2018/9/24 14:20

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

-=Jeff=- Re: Changing gauges in an L98 C4
Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Yes George who did that custom gauge cluster, did it Pre Vetteaid and if I recall it was around 1999 or 2000 when he did it.

I have thought of doing something for my 1990, I would look for some that match sweep with my OEM, then use the OEM overlay for the aftermarket gauges
Posted on: 2018/10/8 2:21
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.