Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

j3studio Three Very Different Vehicles On Eighties Cars
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4245 Posts

First, another discussion of why some posts are popular and some aren't:

The Posts That Attract Interest, Part 3

Then,

1984 Maserati Biturbo coupe

1982 Porsche 924 Turbo hatchback coupe

—and for Memorial Day itself, some truly large American iron"

1985 Chevrolet C20 Suburban Silverado SUV

Posted on: 2020/5/25 15:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Three Very Different Vehicles On Eighties Cars
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Out of the 3 I'd go for the burban. The Maserati looks plain Jane to me. The 924 never grabbed me because I was already hooked on the 911's so it was like a step back. In the 80's I started having a greater appreciation for big vehicles with comfortable seating.

You know would I would like to see? 80's Conversion Van offerings from Dodge, Chevy, Ford and maybe throw in VW for good measure. I had and 85 Dodge high top, long body conversion with a V-8 with three rows of seats. The back seat folded down and it had a neat little cooler/counter/storage chest in the back. Beige with medium brown appliques,and a beige/tan interior. Windows all around with curtains. I liked it. Cool long distance voyager. It was not easy on gas but sufficient power to move it around. BW-TV/Cassette/stereo/CD radio, reclining buckets first and second row.

Attach file:

jpg  85 Dodge.jpg (14.39 KB)
852_5ecbf4dc7e985.jpg 225X300 px
Posted on: 2020/5/25 16:39

j3studio Re: Three Very Different Vehicles On Eighties Cars
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4245 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

Out of the 3 I'd go for the burban. The Maserati looks plain Jane to me. The 924 never grabbed me because I was already hooked on the 911's so it was like a step back. In the 80's I started having a greater appreciation for big vehicles with comfortable seating.

You know would I would like to see? 80's Conversion Van offerings from Dodge, Chevy, Ford and maybe throw in VW for good measure. I had and 85 Dodge high top, long body conversion with a V-8 with three rows of seats. The back seat folded down and it had a neat little cooler/counter/storage chest in the back. Beige with medium brown appliques,and a beige/tan interior. Windows all around with curtains. I liked it. Cool long distance voyager. It was not easy on gas but sufficient power to move it around. BW-TV/Cassette/stereo/CD radio, reclining buckets first and second row.

Thanks, as always, Tom. Trucks, SUVs, and vans are few and far between at Eighties Cars for two reasons:

a) I feel I don't know them as well.

b) They generally aren't as well-documented as the cars, though Flory's latest offering may be a sign of change.

The only time I covered a van was in

Who Saves These Cars?

—methinks it's time to get a few written up. You do see some at auction.

Posted on: 2020/5/25 16:57

TommyT-Bone Re: Three Very Different Vehicles On Eighties Cars
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Hard to track a specialty vans especially since so many were made by custom conversion companies. Mid 80's is when I jumped ship from cars to vans, pick ups and later a custom 90 Bronco 4wd though we always had a car /truck/van mix as you know with the Olds and T-Bird.
Posted on: 2020/5/25 19:57

bogus Re: Three Very Different Vehicles On Eighties Cars
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

My brother had a 1979 C10 Custom Deluxe pickup, much like that 1985 Suburban, under the skin.

And we have a 1999 Suburban, based off the next generation pickup platform (GMT400, that sounds right).

Our Suburban is about the same size as that 1985, but is super nice inside and the ole 350 puts out more HP than the 454 did and gets over 20 MPG on the highway! At 215k miles, its chugging along just fine. I should note, ours has a 44 gallon tank... not only is it expensive to fill, it is a test of patience!!!

The Biturbo was always a fave, just because it looked so comfy inside!!! I knew they were junk, but they were pretty junk. I would get one, and then drop in an LSx conversion.

The 924 was never a fave... the 944 arrived and looked so much more refined and resolved. It just made the 924 look old and cheap.
Posted on: 2020/5/27 17:52

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.