Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
227 user(s) are online (188 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NHMS
New Hampshire Motor Speedway. This is the new name for New Hampshire International Speedway from now on. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

djxib Frame flex
Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

OK - I want to do a cool suspension/frame project on this 96 Coupe. Seen a lot of different aftermarket parts - roof braces, x-braces, frame tensioner, sway bar updates, heim joint bushing upgrades etc.

Assuming that fabrication skills are readily available, and access to a lift and a shop, and willingness to strip the car down to access the frame.. what would you like to see as a project? Greenwood wrote an article that was critical of the C4 design and in their (rare) G-350 and G-383 builds they did some frame mods, would love to know what they did. Lots of debate on the viability of cross-bracing. Gordon Killibrew's frame flex solution seems kind of a band aid?

What do you guys think?

Posted on: 2020/6/20 11:48

1996 Greenwood Collectors Edition LT4

Previously 1992 Convertible Polo Green. 383 LT1/LT4 forged/balanced. V7-YSi, Alky. 608RWHP... Now sitting at a dismantler with a salvage title. Still runs...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Frame flex
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Well... the frame design is a killer weakness. Have you read Dave McClellan's book, Corvette from the Inside? He lays out why the C4 frame sucks.

If you can fab up an x-brace, that is a great start. I have heard good things about Gordon's setup. It preloads the frame, call it isometrics for the chassis.

Good luck finding a steering brace... I don't think anyone is making them. Same with an x-brace, but those are easier to find on the used market via OEM parts.

I am a huge fan of the Banski rear suspension kit. I did that on my C4 (and did a story for it in the late-great Corvette Enthusiast Magazine, some 10 years ago now!). Not cheap, but sooooo worth it.

You will need to search the hinterlands for some of the parts and be willing to make some parts. The C4 has fallen on hard times and it's sad. But vette2vette and Corvette Salvage will prove to be useful.

BTW, I sold my C4 three years ago... I got a 2006 Coupe... yellow/black with a 6spd. GREAT car. Just great.
Posted on: 2020/6/20 16:10

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

j3studio Re: Frame flex
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4246 Posts

Everything Andy said.

Ah, the C4 suspension—so much good and so much highly sub-optimal.

If I hadn't decide to remain stock, I would have installed the frame stiffener and the Banski rear suspension.

Posted on: 2020/6/20 23:11

Matatk Re: Frame flex
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22802 Posts

I'm not sure what Greenwood did to be honest.

I'm not sure it's worth reinventing the wheel. Most people use the convertible style cross brace or the newer vette2vette braces. There is also a front camber brace available.
Posted on: 2020/6/22 20:54

bogus Re: Frame flex
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Greenwood went medieval on the C4 frame... I have seen pictures... they removed the hatch floors and added triangulated reinforcements all in the frame and from the frame up to the halo. In short, they meant bizness...
Posted on: 2020/7/4 16:17

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.