Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
207 user(s) are online (181 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Weather Stripping
It should be soft and pliable. Tears, rips and holes are red flags that the seals are bad.

Corvette weather stripping is a known problem. Replaci...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

cor123 CORVETTE RACING AT VIR: Front-Row Start for Garcia, No. 3 C8.R
Master Guru
932 Posts

PRESS RELEASE:

Team eyeing three straight Michelin GT Challenge victories from second-place grid spot

CORVETTE RACING AT VIR: Front-Row Start for Garcia, No. 3 C8.R
Team eyeing three straight Michelin GT Challenge victories from second-place grid spot

ALTON, Va. (Aug. 27, 2022) – Corvette Racing’s Antonio Garcia qualified second in the GT Daytona (GTD) PRO class and overall Saturday for the Michelin GT Challenge at VIR, an event that Corvette Racing has won the previous two years at Virginia International Raceway.

Garcia’s time of 1:44.677 (112.470 mph) in the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R put him only behind Ross Gunn’s pole-winning time ahead of Sunday’s 2:10 p.m. ET race (CNBC, Peacock). Garcia will start the No. 3 Corvette and will share driving duties with Jordan Taylor.

Oppressive heat and humidity were major themes from practice sessions Friday and Saturday, plus the afternoon’s qualifying. Air temperatures climbed into the low 90s and humidity levels crept into the 60s, which sent track temperatures well above 105 degrees for qualifying.

As a result, maintaining life and performance out of the Michelin tires will be key to Sunday’s race, which will be run in nearly identical conditions. That is an area where Corvette Racing has excelled this season, including at the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring in March – the program’s lone IMSA victory this year.

A Corvette Racing entry has claimed overall wins four times at VIR in IMSA competition. Garcia and Taylor were victors in 2020 in the now-extinct GT Le Mans (GTLM) category. They were second a year ago to Corvette teammates Tommy Milner and Nick Tandy, who are partnering this season in the FIA World Endurance Championship.

This year is the first for Corvette in the new GT Daytona (GTD) PRO category, and as such is the first at VIR for the GTD Corvette – which runs with more weight, less power, an anti-lock braking system and a spec Michelin tire compared to the GTLM class.

Corvette Racing’s love affair with VIR goes back to 2012. This will be the team’s 11th appearance at the 3.27-mile, 17-turn road course. The configuration of the circuit – two long straights and a mix of low- medium- and high-speed corners – creates opportunities for a number of engineering and strategic decisions. That’s an area where Corvette Racing has a distinct advantage given its 24-year history of competition.

The Michelin GT Challenge at VIR is scheduled for 2:10 p.m. ET on Sunday, August 28. The race will air live on CNBC and stream live on Peacock beginning at 2 p.m. ET.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R – QUALIFIED SECOND: "I feel like I got a lot out the car but not all of it. It was a decent first laps with a few mistakes. Track conditions were tricky. We had to kind of guess where the track would develop. I think I was expecting more grip overall. At the end of the day, it's the first row. I don't think we had anything for pole, but looking at tomorrow I think a lot of things will happen. The conditions will be tricky again, and the track can bite you. It will be the same for everybody so we need to see as much of the data as possible so we can fine-tune and be as prepared as possible for the race.

"I'd say qualifying was more like what we will have for the race (compared to Friday practice). Warmup (on Sunday) can give us a direction but that will be at eight in the morning. I'm sure the car will feel great then. We'll focus on what we have and we did yesterday and today to get our Corvette to where it should be for the race. Generally over the long run, we've been more competitive on pace in the race than in qualifying. Let's see if that's that case again tomorrow. This is still a new race and new track for this spec of car. Having said that, I think we are in good shape. Let's see if we can keep it up."

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/1200x800/2tracksideracingnews_egnyte_com_copy_4c3355979cf7593923bf165008fd9e003e6eae36.jpg
Posted on: 2022/8/27 23:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: CORVETTE RACING AT VIR: Front-Row Start for Garcia, No. 3 C8.R
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Explain BoP to me again? Why does one car win 5 events?
Posted on: 2022/8/29 20:41

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

cor123 Re: CORVETTE RACING AT VIR: Front-Row Start for Garcia, No. 3 C8.R
Master Guru
932 Posts

I wish I could. I am confused to as to why BoP always is hardest on Corvette.
Posted on: 2022/8/29 21:20

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.