Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Vette
Shorthand notation for Corvette. See also vert and vertte. Usually preceeded by a "'", as in 'vette....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Z51 bastage kid killed my 84
Guru
OREGON
127 Posts

i talked to one of my friends in the corvette club friday,a nd she ran into the kid that bought my 84 corvette, and i guess hes complaining about it now... i guess the front,a nd rear main seals are leaking, the head gaskets are blown out, the intake is leaking, and a bunch of other stuff are worn out, and i guess the total in damages are in the range of 5K.... stupid 16 year old, i babied that car for 3 years, and never had one problem with it... he has it for almost 2 months,a nd blows it up... i hate to see another abused corvette... i told him when i left it in his possesion... take really good care of her, and don't beat on her... i guess he wasn't listening too well

poor silver bullet
R.I.P
Posted on: 2008/5/11 16:46

NC Kid Re: bastage kid killed my 84
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Maybe it's not his fault that all that stuff is breaking. The car is old.
Posted on: 2008/5/11 18:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

toptechx6 Re: bastage kid killed my 84
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

Z51 wrote:
i talked to one of my friends in the corvette club friday,a nd she ran into the kid that bought my 84 corvette, and i guess hes complaining about it now... i guess the front,a nd rear main seals are leaking, the head gaskets are blown out, the intake is leaking, and a bunch of other stuff are worn out, and i guess the total in damages are in the range of 5K.... stupid 16 year old, i babied that car for 3 years, and never had one problem with it... he has it for almost 2 months,a nd blows it up... i hate to see another abused corvette... i told him when i left it in his possesion... take really good care of her, and don't beat on her... i guess he wasn't listening too well

poor silver bullet
R.I.P

Age 16....listening to an adult....don't beat on it...what were YOU thinking??? He paid your price, the deal is done, he killed HIS 84.
If you feel remorse look in the mirror.
Posted on: 2008/5/11 18:27

bogus Re: bastage kid killed my 84
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

toptech nailed it.

Besides, I can't believe that 2 months of ownership would reveal that many ills if they were not already present.

Also, define the nature of these leaks... what you consider normal weapage could be buyers remorse on the side of the kids folks and have grown into a massive leak.

Rear and front mains don't start leaking due to "beating" on something. They fail due to time.

Intake? again, 2 months of the worst abuse won't do it.

Heat gaskets? say what?

To me, this sounds like a lot of bad info, tossed in with stereotypical expectations.

Get the rest of the facts and get the kid to join Guru so we can help him fix whatever is wrong... and nothing sounds "terminal".

In my opinion, an abused car will show transmission failures, broken u-joints, damaged rear diffs, accident damage. None of those issues sound abuse related.
Posted on: 2008/5/11 18:40

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Danspeed1 Re: bastage kid killed my 84
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

I actually don't remember being 16 that well. I do remember how bad "friends" of mine beat there cars. I paid for my Chevelle, in cash, with money I saved for years. When I got the car it was the most important thing in my life. I spent more time putting wax on it than driving it. I'll admit I got on it but I never abused it.

Ill never forget when Escalades became popular. This kid that went to my girlfriends high school (we were in different schools) was handed a brand new Escalade. It was black. They sent it out and had a set of rims put on it, a huge stereo,... the works. They gave it to him for his Birthday. Not even 6 months later he totaled it. In the meantime he was given his dads BMW to drive. For graduation they unvailed the Denali... I think he totaled that too.

A friend of mine had a 96 Monte... car with revv limiter and 3.1L.... grandma's car. She gave it to him. 30K... blew the motor before 40K.

Moral: 16 year olds can do significant damage to a car in just a little time. These 20 year old cars need constant upkeep and they need to be pampered. 16 years olds are not capable of either.

DG
Posted on: 2008/5/12 3:28
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Z51 Re: bastage kid killed my 84
Guru
OREGON
127 Posts

i told him that that the car is old, and not gonna take constant abuse, but hell what do i know... i drove that car for 3 years, and never had an ounce of trouble with it... i'm not feeling remorse about it, i just hoped it would have lasted a little longer for him... but thats the chance you take when you buy a used car... just like my 90, i had to put a few bucks in it to make it a road worthy vehicle... you gotta pay to play
Posted on: 2008/5/12 3:35

cuisinartvette Re: bastage kid killed my 84
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Sucks to see a car you cared so much for get pummeled to death..All that had work destroyed.

His loss though, hes 16 and will destroy another I suspect. Its what they do. Most of them anyway.
To this day I have yet to toss a rod, you can drive a car hard without abusing it-Just gotta listen to them.
Posted on: 2008/5/12 6:55

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

TommyT-Bone Re: bastage kid killed my 84
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

A responsible buyer would have had the car checked out by a qualified mechanic before the sale. Just ask me. I never do that and always end up paying for it later.
Posted on: 2008/5/12 9:45

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
A responsible buyer would have had the car checked out by a qualified mechanic before the sale. Just ask me. I never do that and always end up paying for it later.

The point is NO 16 year old is a responsible buyer, most states consider a 16 year old a child. They CANNOT enter a contract, give permission to engage in sex or accept other adult responsibilities. Expecting a 16 year old to make wise decisions is naive.
Some may be capable of doing so but it does not change the fact that most don't.
Posted on: 2008/5/12 11:04

DaleD Re: bastage kid killed my 84
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

But you have to know the mechanic. I bought my car after I had it checked out by Pete from Complete Corvette in Cleveland, Ohio. Sounds good right? He was recommended by someone on the brand X forum. Complete Corvette should change their name to Complete Hose Job.
The car had a ton of issues I'd recognize now. Pete, however, told me it was a steal, a $10k car! Jerk.

You gotta be lucky AND good to get a good used car.
Posted on: 2008/5/12 13:04

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Quote:

toptechx6 wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

The point is NO 16 year old is a responsible buyer, most states consider a 16 year old a child. They CANNOT enter a contract, give permission to engage in sex or accept other adult responsibilities. Expecting a 16 year old to make wise decisions is naive.
Some may be capable of doing so but it does not change the fact that most don't.

say what? Most states age of consent is still 16.

The rest is correct.

But I think we are missing a point here... and that is, to me, the issues that have arisen on this car are not connected to abuse. They are connected to age and bad timing.

We haven't heard from the kid... and when I was 16, I took care of my stuff, knowing that a replacment wasn't always forthcoming. Hell, I could have saved the cash myself and I still wouldn't be allowed to use it. Trust me, I am on the other end of the spectrum to that kid with the Caddy and Denali...
Posted on: 2008/5/12 14:29

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

toptechx6 wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

say what? Most states age of consent is still 16.

The rest is correct.

But I think we are missing a point here... and that is, to me, the issues that have arisen on this car are not connected to abuse. They are connected to age and bad timing.

We haven't heard from the kid... and when I was 16, I took care of my stuff, knowing that a replacment wasn't always forthcoming. Hell, I could have saved the cash myself and I still wouldn't be allowed to use it. Trust me, I am on the other end of the spectrum to that kid with the Caddy and Denali...

I stand corrected Andy, I assumed it was the same as contract law but after some research I see you are correct concerning age of consent.
Posted on: 2008/5/12 17:08

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

It wasn't that long ago that GA was still 13!!!!
Posted on: 2008/5/12 20:02

crash Re: bastage kid killed my 84
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

I REMEMBER WHEN I WAS 16 BOUGHT MY 1ST CAR HAD IT 2 MONTHS AND BLEW A ROD OUT THE SIDE OF THE BLOCK STREET RACING
I WALKED FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS BEFORE I GOT ANOTHER CAR I TOOK BETTER CARE OF THAT 1 AND ALL OTHERS SINCE
SUCKS TO WALK
Posted on: 2008/5/12 22:43

pappyfreebird Re: bastage kid killed my 84
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

gentlemen ifn i told ya sum of the things done at 16 ...(wrecked cars)...motors were fine just smashed all ta L ... but aways proud saved the beer... they dint find our dope etc....stupid n makes me unnerstand theres a God ..(beleive wud ya want)..dont need a debate...but anyways youd say aw what a bs er ...took L n back to give all that cheeyut up n loss of a few lives also...thats why i jus try n look cool (thats why hadda buy a vet ) i need all the help i kin git wahahaha
Posted on: 2008/5/13 12:12

vetteblondie Re: bastage kid killed my 84
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4630 Posts

Believe me, crap can all happen at once, refer to "finally done" post of mine today, I'm out around $3k, and yes, it all happened at one time, I don't drive mine hard, but it does have 224k miles on it and it's a '96. It was just time, I just wasn't ready.
Posted on: 2008/5/13 18:26

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

NC Kid Re: bastage kid killed my 84
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

pappyfreebird wrote:
gentlemen ifn i told ya sum of the things done at 16 ...(wrecked cars)...motors were fine just smashed all ta L ... but aways proud saved the beer... they dint find our dope etc....stupid n makes me unnerstand theres a God ..(beleive wud ya want)..dont need a debate...but anyways youd say aw what a bs er ...took L n back to give all that cheeyut up n loss of a few lives also...thats why i jus try n look cool (thats why hadda buy a vet ) i need all the help i kin git wahahaha

Bet there is an interesting story behind these words.
Posted on: 2008/5/15 12:56

FLYINLOW90 Re: bastage kid killed my 84
Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Sucks to see a car you cared so much for get pummeled to death..All that had work destroyed.

Yup I agree entirely with Ron.

I believe that is what the OP is getting at. A car he so well cared for and now has many problems.

It is also true that these problems may have already been there and just now have made themselves evident.

Either way it is now "His" car and the problems are "His" too.

I know all the time and money I have spent on mine if I ever sell it I would love to see it go to an owner that would also take care of the car as I would. But if not, it is now "His" car and he could paint purple poka dots on it if he wanted.

Just my .02

Gary
Posted on: 2008/5/15 14:38

CentralCoaster Re: bastage kid killed my 84
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

He probably let one of his knowitall friends look at it and the guy picked it apart and tried to impress him with his knowledge of how crappy his car is, even if half of it was untrue or exaggerated.

That's what knowitall kids do. And now suddenly he hates his car, the same car he loved when he bought it.
Posted on: 2008/5/15 16:47

90EXPVette Re: bastage kid killed my 84
Senior Guru
Martinez, Georgia
185 Posts

If I ever sell my '90 it'll be out of state. I don't want to see what happens to it after resurrecting and taking care of it for the last 9 years. My last car before the Vette was a Mercedes 190E that I did the same thing too. I saw it again about 4 years after I sold it in an impound lot...
Posted on: 2008/5/15 17:14

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

I will say it one last time.

Leaks don't just appear because someone was beating on it. They were there, they are no visible... whatever the case, they are NOT the result of abuse.

Abuse is a thrown rod, a broken transmission, a tossed rear end... body damage.

But leaks? Shit. That's just a normal maintenance item. Get ahold of the kid, hand him a static cling and get him away from his know-it-all friends who hate him for having it in the first place.
Posted on: 2008/5/16 4:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.