Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
260 user(s) are online (223 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Seats
Both could be power, neither could be.

However, if they are, they should move fore/aft and up down with little more than an electric motor whine....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

josephf31 Best way to remove window tint adhesive?
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

I've got the film pretty much off the back window, but don't want to use a razor and mess up the defroster wires...

What have you used to most easily and quickly remove the adhesive left behind after removing old tint film?

Thanks all!
Posted on: 2008/5/16 17:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

runner140 Re: Best way to remove window tint adhesive?
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

Quote:

josephf31 wrote:
I've got the film pretty much off the back window, but don't want to use a razor and mess up the defroster wires...

What have you used to most easily and quickly remove the adhesive left behind after removing old tint film?

Thanks all!

But some "GooGone". Its a thick liquid that will remove the adhesive. Its what the people use that tint windows for a living use.
Posted on: 2008/5/16 19:38

toptechx6 Re: Best way to remove window tint adhesive?
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

But some "GooGone". Its a thick liquid that will remove the adhesive. Its what the people use that tint windows for a living use.[/quote]

Before you buy any contact Black85v3tt3, he should be able to get you a discount, I think he buys it by the 55 gallon drum!
Posted on: 2008/5/16 20:04

josephf31 Re: Best way to remove window tint adhesive?
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

This is probably one of the worst clean up jobs I have seen;

I have removed most of the tint but it came off in "layers" leaving behind what seems to be adhesive but is really a very thin layer of tint.

So far I have tried removing it with Goo Gone, oven cleaner, de-icer (all from Internet research) with 0000 steel wool, but nothing is really working. Except for painstaking and dangerous (to the defroster wires) scraping with a sharp razor blade.

Isn't there an easier way? I even tried respraying the tint-off solution I bought online as well as one I found in Wal-Mart, but it just softens up the old tint not really making it any easier to remove.

I have not yet tried ammonia or alcohol, or using a rag -- anybody have any suggestions that aren't so much work?

Thanks all!
Posted on: 2008/5/23 1:26

RollaMo-LT4 Re: Best way to remove window tint adhesive?
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

Quote:

josephf31 wrote:

I have not yet tried ammonia or alcohol, or using a rag -- anybody have any suggestions that aren't so much work?

Thanks all!

Yes, use Isopropyl Alcohol!

I went through the same thing your going through. Seemed nothing would dissolve that sticky mess. Last resort, I tried the alcohol. It worked great.
And it's cheap too. A bottle of alcohol and a cheap roll of paper towels will clean that window up like new.
Posted on: 2008/5/23 1:50

Flashman Re: Best way to remove window tint adhesive?
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hello All,

When I removed the old tint from Frankie, I used a mini shark steamer to remove the film. But, it did not touch the glue. I make a cleaner called EZ Cutter. It removes adhesive, paint overspray, bugs, tar, brake dust etc. It is also safe on clear coat surfaces. I sprayed the adhesive on the rear glass, waited about 1 minute, and wipe the glue clean with a terry towel. It took it all off. We sell EZ Cutter to alot of tint shops in our area. It can be used for any cleaning application. Take Care.

Joe-Flash man
Posted on: 2008/7/29 13:34

CentralCoaster Re: Best way to remove window tint adhesive?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

How about graffiti remover? That shit is nasty and will burn your skin, so it'd surprise me if it didn't soften up the tint. Just avoid the paint.
Posted on: 2008/7/29 14:49

Flashman Re: Best way to remove window tint adhesive?
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hello,

Yes, Grafitti remover uses solvents in thier formula. It works good but is very harsh on your hands and surfaces.
EZ Cutter will not burn your hands and is a safer product to use. You can say its an alcohol based cleaner. It is alot more effective on adhesive than an alcohol based glass cleaner. Take care.

Joe-Flash Man
Posted on: 2008/7/30 13:26

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.