Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  RPO
Regular Production Order. These are the codes that GM uses to identify options.

For example, LT1 is the RPO for the engine used from 1992-1996.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users
 Register To Post

CentralCoaster Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I condensed 2.5 hours of track time down into about 10 minutes for the A.D.D. crowd. I left in all my screw ups since they're more interesting to watch.

Enjoy!

http://www.trackhq.com/forums/photopo ... showphoto.php/photo/14266
Posted on: 2008/5/31 23:34

cuisinartvette Re: Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Damn Kevin, you were tearing it up, your getting better and better!

What was your top speed on the back straights?
Posted on: 2008/6/1 3:31

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

About 110 on the front straight and 105 on the back straight. Shift light comes on in 4th at 100mph.

It takes some balls to carry speed into the backstretch, because there's a high speed chicane and you need to do most of your braking in a decreasing radius turn. I picked up most of my time there by the end of the day.

I'm gonna try uploading to a different site, I don't like how that one squishes the vid.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 3:41

Jeffvette Re: Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Kevin, good running, but......

Keep both hands on the wheel until you need to shift. There were several times where you were still going into a corner with your hand on the shifter.

Don't be so harsh on the curbing, ride up on it less. You want to kiss it, not run over it.

You still need to get harnesses. Your upper body is all over the place.

The one place I noticed you had the most difficulty was the left hand followed by the right hand where there really wasn't a track, just cones. It looks like your entry angle is to shallow, a later apex would give me more of a run after the right hand turn.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 5:06

bogus Re: Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

nice production quality... and I agree, you will need the harness.

That MR2 gave you a serious case of the fits until you got to the straight. Quick little buggers in the corners, eh?

All in all, you looked real smooth. You may want to consider driving gloves to help with wheel grip. A fabric wheel cover will also help.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 5:26

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

CentralCoaster Re: Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I got a little sloppy with the hands, it's been 5 months since my last event. I was sort of feeling the curbs out in the early sessions, later on I ran some smooth (ie: boring) laps that I cut out of the vid.

I hate the cones with a passion.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 5:28

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

That MR2 gave you a serious case of the fits until you got to the straight. Quick little buggers in the corners, eh?

No passing allowed in the corners or without point-by. So I filled his mirror up the best I could to motivate him to give me the next straight. The RX7 was also a moving road block. I offered to trade him keys...
Posted on: 2008/6/1 5:31

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Nice driving mate
Posted on: 2008/6/1 5:56

cuisinartvette Re: Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Ever conder latex gloves ?
Posted on: 2008/6/1 6:00

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

crash Re: Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

what type of racing is this you told me before and i forgot
where do you find the rules ans requirements for this type of racing
when i 15 a neibhor had a new 62 vert that he did this type of racung with and didnt pay much attention to it ithought he was screwing a good car should have been drag racing it but now i understand the fun in it
Posted on: 2008/6/1 11:33

jsup Re: Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Very cool, thanks.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 12:09

ghoffman Re: Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
Senior Guru
258 Posts

Nice video, do they ever run on the speedway part?
Posted on: 2008/6/1 12:36

BillH Re: Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Cool Vid.
Like Jeff said, if you can, get a harness setup.
With stock belts, you're actually using the steering wheel to hold your body in position.
A harness setup does make a big difference.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 14:42

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

crash wrote:
what type of racing is this you told me before and i forgot
where do you find the rules ans requirements for this type of racing

It's HPDE, exact rules depend on who's running the event. Generally passing only on straights and with point-bys from the previous driver. They have different classes based on speed and experience, and each runs for about 5 different sessions of 20+ minutes each. The rules are less strict in the advanced run groups, usually passing anywhere on track as long as there's no contact. Some drivers end up making it look more like an actual race if the organizers let them get away with it. Check speedventures.com, they have a pretty good list of rules.

Gary, they have 3 setups out there, you can run the full oval, the interior course, or a "roval" setup which is a combination of both. My vid at the Roval setup is here: www.putfile.com/independent80/media

They also have a 1/4 mile, auto-X, and kart track.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 16:41

Dads90 Re: Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Cool vid CC, I found myself swaying with every turn.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 4:52

SpectatorRacing Re: Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:

Don't be so harsh on the curbing, ride up on it less. You want to kiss it, not run over it.

Depends on the track...if the curbing's not too harsh it's a free 10 inches of extra track. There's nothing wrong with driving all over it unless it's high enough to unsettle the car. At Putnam, for example, there's a quick corner where I have to use the curbing to stop the ass of the car from sliding out too far. It's like a bump stop.

That said, I don't know that particular track so it could be fairly high. But it didn't look that bad to me.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 13:56

Senior Guru
258 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:
Kevin, good running, but......

You still need to get harnesses. Your upper body is all over the place.

As far as curbing goes, here is a pic of me last week at Loudon (NHMS), just kissing the curb in T2:

[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/gshoffman/NHIS5-27-08T2acurbcrop.jpg[/IMG]

I would say that you need some gloves, and a harness setup. I will make everyone a deal, all C4 (only) Hardbar stuff is on sale, 10% off until July 1st, (IF you reference Corvette-guru.com) when I have to raise the price on everything 10% for the stupid gas prices.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 15:44

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Next time there's a track photographer out there I'll try murdering the curb and getting some air! Like Turn 2 at Infinion.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 16:51

jimmers Re: Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
Senior Guru
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
211 Posts

Thats awesome! I wish there was somthing like that out where I live.
Posted on: 2008/6/4 1:46

Aardwolf Re: Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
Senior Guru
Fremont, WI
209 Posts

Quote:

jimmers wrote:
Thats awesome! I wish there was somthing like that out where I live.

Is Gimli Motorsports Park around you?

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Gimli_Motorsports_Park
Posted on: 2008/6/4 1:53

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Next time there's a track photographer out there I'll try murdering the curb and getting some air! Like Turn 2 at Infinion.

Yea, It would be a great pic. I've hit that curb a bunch. Hitting it does screw up your line though.
You should try and get up there someday to run, just a bitchin' track.
But turn 3B there does bug me a little. I flipped over backwards, upside down there.
Posted on: 2008/6/4 15:02

Jeffvette Re: Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:

Depends on the track...if the curbing's not too harsh it's a free 10 inches of extra track. There's nothing wrong with driving all over it unless it's high enough to unsettle the car. At Putnam, for example, there's a quick corner where I have to use the curbing to stop the ass of the car from sliding out too far. It's like a bump stop.

That said, I don't know that particular track so it could be fairly high. But it didn't look that bad to me.

It looked to me it was not necessary to get a lower time, and it seemed to be a huge jarring effect on the car every time he did hit it. But then again, not me on the track and just watching footage.
Posted on: 2008/6/4 19:09

Senior Guru
258 Posts

Last week when that pic was taken, my student had a very nice supercharged RX-7. His suspension was very poor and he had to stay off of the gators on the edges. With the new 8700's on my car, I really don't know that they are there. So the point is, how upset it wil get and therefore what line you can use, has alot to do with the suspension.
Posted on: 2008/6/4 19:16

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Some of the curbs were obviously upsetting the car, others were pretty flat. I found it difficult to place the car consistently on that first turn after the start/finish, because it was after a 110-40mph braking zone that I was pushing really hard, and I didn't always have much rear traction when turning into it while trailbraking.

I also usually put together a video of my top 10 laps in order, to see what's working. But that vid will be pretty boring to most and won't go online.
Posted on: 2008/6/4 22:32

SpectatorRacing Re: Video - Cal Speedway Road Course 5/26/07 Redline Track Events
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

If you're really trying to improve you times then you have to begin the boring part of racing.

Start with braking. Take every corner and get comfortable braking at the same spot lap after lap. Then go 10 feet deeper. Then 10 more, etc until you go wide. Then back up to the last marker.

Then work on getting into the throttle sooner. This is still tough for me sometimes. I modulate around a corner and then go WOT after I straighten out the car, only to find out that I have no oomph as I'm at a low RPM. I should have gotten into the throttle 30 ft sooner.

You'll find full seconds very quickly.

How big are your cojones?
Posted on: 2008/6/5 18:58

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Either big cojones, or no sense. Well, I'm not afraid to break it anyways. I brushed a tire barrier with my mirror at cal speedway first time out there.

I have some vid of me blowing that turn 1 several times while experimenting with my braking zone.

I learned with the wilwoods I can really muscle the brakes at 100+ but then have to ease off by 50 mph or so or the fronts start wanting to lock up.

Of course everytime I pick up speed in a corner, I carry more speed into the next one, and have to relearn that one again.
Posted on: 2008/6/5 23:44

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

One of the best things that a newer driver can do is hire an instructor to do the full day with them. Yea, it costs some bucks but less than doing 2 track days trying to learn by yourself. The improvements in your lap times will be more than double what 2 track days by yourself would be. The problem is finding a really good instructor.

The guy I instructed 3 weeks ago was a novice but running in the "B" group. '03 Z06, coilvers,slicks, raceseats & harness. He had done the Bondaurant 2 day and 3 HPDE's at ThunderHill.
Since he was at a new track, the first 2 sessions were just learning the track and me getting a feel for where he was at.
Mid day sessions we worked on individual corners and his techniques especially braking and H&T. Debriefs at the end of each session including drawing lines and making notes on the track maps. Also worked on car adjustment, tire temps,etc.
Before lunch, he was pointing by faster cars in the "B" group. In the mid afternoon sessions, no point bys and he was pulling away from all the "B" drivers.
I put a stopwatch on some of the Corvettes in the "A" group.
In his last session, he was turning lap times as fast or faster than the "A" drivers. His lap times dropped 2.75 seconds from what he was doing in mid day.

I also instructed an "A" driver in a '08 C6 last month. I had him pull into the hotpit twice to get away from groups of "faster" drivers that were very poor lines.
Posted on: 2008/6/6 14:35

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Another thing to consider is getting a data acquisition tool. There is no substitute for being able to try different lines and overlay them to obtain a fastest way around a track.

It's more valuable than any set of tires, brakes, or suspension.

Yet somehow I still don't have one...talk about being a hypocrite. Or an idiot.
Posted on: 2008/6/9 16:29

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Check out the AIM system. The Traqmates are OK for HPDE's but with this system you get the data acq. and a dash all built into one. The dash would work really in your track car, it's got shift lights, warning lights, lap times & temps.
One thing the AIM has is a very good manual, I've worked with the PI systems and they kinda suck and the manual is worthless.
Check this website: www.veracitydata.com Both Dave and his wife race D and C sports racers at the national level. Dave's the kind of guy that will come to your pit, work on your wiring for 2 hours at a race and not charge you.
Posted on: 2008/6/10 14:25

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.