Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
164 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

captmike13, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60
The automatic from 1992-1993. The same as the 700R4, just has a different name.

Either way, they are junk. There are some minor differences on a ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

biggrizzly Suggestions for cooler wrenching
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I have a standard two car garage, but it has approximately 14-15 ceilings. The ceiling and half of each side wall is drywalled and insulated as other parts of the house are on the other side of those walls.

I'd like to insulate and drywall the remaining 15' on each side wall and approximately a section that is 24'x6' above the twin garage doors.

I also wanted to replace my alluminium garage doors with insulated fiberglass units.

How much do you think it would cost to insulate, drywall, paint, and install new doors? Any ideas?

I will also be painting or tiling the floor.

After this is complete then I'll be looking into a window AC unit to cool this place down. It was at least 98 dgrees in the garage last night.
Posted on: 2008/6/10 15:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Livin_the_dream Re: Suggestions for cooler wrenching
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

look into a small heatpump/cac unit. usually ceiling mount. that way you have all your bases covered. it will be cold in winter and heat will be next. add another 10"in the attic. My steel pole building r19 walls and r40 in ceiling was 80 last evening and 70% humidity. not quite a/c but much cooler than outside.
Posted on: 2008/6/10 16:25

pianoguy Re: Suggestions for cooler wrenching
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I paid about $2800 3 years ago to have my 2-car garage insulated, sheetrocked and taped (I painted), and about $1000 for a 16x7 insulated door (had to have fancy windows - LOL!). It made a huge difference, both in winter and summer.
Posted on: 2008/6/10 16:26

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

pianoguy Re: Suggestions for cooler wrenching
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

Livin_the_dream wrote:
look into a small heatpump/cac unit. usually ceiling mount. that way you have all your bases covered. it will be cold in winter and heat will be next. add another 10"in the attic. My steel pole building r19 walls and r40 in ceiling was 80 last evening and 70% humidity. not quite a/c but much cooler than outside.

We replaced our air conditioner with an air-source heat pump, too - it can produce heat down to around 25 degrees. Saves us a bundle on our gas bill, as there aren't that many hours in the year below 25 degrees (well, except for this past freakin' winter).
Posted on: 2008/6/10 16:29

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

CentralCoaster Re: Suggestions for cooler wrenching
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

A/C won't do shit if you don't insulate.

You can just put in insulate and throw pegboard over it or something, or no drywall at all if you secure it with wire. That would be a good idea for the roof. Instaling drywall on the ceiling isn't fun.

You need some air circulation too, to get a "wind chill" effect, assuming the air is colder than your skin temp (~93F).

You may find with insulation, there's such a thermal delay in the inside vs outside temps that you don't even need A/C.
Posted on: 2008/6/10 19:09

Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
A/C won't do shit if you don't insulate.

You can just put in insulate and throw pegboard over it or something, or no drywall at all if you secure it with wire. That would be a good idea for the roof. Instaling drywall on the ceiling isn't fun.

You need some air circulation too, to get a "wind chill" effect, assuming the air is colder than your skin temp (~93F).

You may find with insulation, there's such a thermal delay in the inside vs outside temps that you don't even need A/C.

I agree with the drywall on the ceiling-a lot of weight I used 1" foam sheet (silver on one side blue on the other) on the ceiling silver side out and taped the joints.
When I made my reference earlier about the temp in my garage I neglected to say it was 97 degrees out and this was after the garage is hit by the sun 90% of the day basically proving your thermal delay ! Was cheap to heat as well. As for the cost of insulating and drywall. Like any good project I am afraid to add up the total cost of materials
Posted on: 2008/6/11 2:34

biggrizzly Re: Suggestions for cooler wrenching
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Well I'm lucky about the ceiling because it is already insulated and drywalled since there is two bedrooms just above. All I need to insulate and drywall are half of the two sides and above the garage doors. The ceiling is really high in this garage so I may need something to move the air around up there too? Maybe not.

I priced a custom set of Coplay steel insulated doors yesterday online, fully installed with gaarage door openers and remote pads for $2000. That's $1000 per side and two 1/2hp openers.

I would like to put a window in the exterior side but that will take up valuable wall space. Still thinking about that one.
Posted on: 2008/6/11 12:02

Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

add some windows to the garage doors and a couple of ceiling fans to move the air
Posted on: 2008/6/11 13:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.