Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
227 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

CentralCoaster Which Wilwood pad compound is best for me?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I've about used up the Q-compound street pads that came with my Superlite brake kit.

I had some pad fade at my last trip to the track. I want higher temps, but I really don't want a stickier pad. I can already lock em up fine, and I don't want to upset my bias, as it's on the ragged edge to begin with of too much front brake.

I'm running Hawk HPS in rear on my stock 11.5" rear brakes, with as much pressure as I can get to em.

Resized Image

I'm liking this BP10 pad. Anyone have experience with these?

Here's some others...

Resized Image

Car has to be street friendly...
Posted on: 2008/6/14 5:53

BillH Re: Which Wilwood pad compound is best for me?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Street Friendly is always a tough compromise. The "Q's" look like they fall off at 550, the BP10's don't. It looks like they have slightly more initial bite but probably not enough to increase front lockup.

The pads on the bottom chart look like they could mess with your bias. And I wouldn't be supprised if they aren't as rotor friendly or street friendly. I've raced some production cars where we played with the bias by using different compounds front and rear but the agressive pads were always on the rear.

Some guys change from HPS to HP plus and don't like them on the street, noiser, more rotor wear,need slightly higher temps. But they're about as far as you can go and maintain "street friendly".
HP plus would probably give you a little more rear bias.

I'm pretty sure you already have the bias spring in.
Are you bleeding the calipers before the events?
What fluid?
Posted on: 2008/6/14 15:37

SpectatorRacing Re: Which Wilwood pad compound is best for me?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

You can't have both. Sorry, there's no compromise. You either get a street pad that will kill you in turn one, or a track pad that squeals and dusts like crazy.

The closest I found was the Hawk HP+, I ran them on the M3. They were pretty good on the track for a "street" pad, but kept my wheels black and my car sounded like a school bus. I have a set of Porterfield R4-S to put on, haven't done it yet.

It's not hard to change brake pads, why wouldn't you simply swap them before a track weekend? Your track pads will last a whole season this way.

Also get some rotor temperature paint. It's like $10 and will tell you to what temp your heating your brakes. This will help you see your temp range.
Posted on: 2008/6/16 14:40

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Damn jon, Where you gettin' temp paint for $10 ? Most kits are $85 and separate bottles are $18 (if you're sure of the the heat range).
Posted on: 2008/6/16 14:51

Aardwolf Re: Which Wilwood pad compound is best for me?
Senior Guru
Fremont, WI
209 Posts

PFC Race 97 Compound is one of the few rear race compounds I've found, that might be worth a try.

Last year I got a set of Carbotech XP8 for track use and they were pretty worn so I decided to try and finish them off on the street. They worked very well at Road America and I didn't have fade. On the street they do squeal some but not to bad. I can feel that they need a lot more force to stop the car for the first little bit of driving. A mile or two at the most, then they work very well. I thought they were a good dual use pad. Your car may be different. Maybe there is a similar Wilwood pad.
Posted on: 2008/6/16 16:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Which Wilwood pad compound is best for me?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

What fluid?

I had Wilwood 570 in there, but it wasn't fresh. I think I got some spot boiling out there, the pedal was a little soft after 20 minutes out there on a longer session. I babied it after that.

I'll flush it before track days from now on.
Posted on: 2008/6/16 16:32

CentralCoaster Re: Which Wilwood pad compound is best for me?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Aard, I'm using the 85 rear brakes, so HPS or HP+ is probably my only option unless I get custom pads.

I need to get around to swapping this out. I was gonna try a 88+ caliper on a 13x.87 rotor, or something with that new wilwood caliper with integral parking brake. I'd hate to lose the parking brake, and this factory drum brake setup doesn't leave any easy options.
Posted on: 2008/6/16 16:40

Aardwolf Re: Which Wilwood pad compound is best for me?
Senior Guru
Fremont, WI
209 Posts

http://www.dougrippie.com/drm/brake_components.htm lists the 97 compound available Corvette Rear 1984-96.

I have no idea if this is true since the PFC site doesn't seem to have any pad listings per car.

Do you use your parking brake much? I found that I never did and ditched it as extra weight.
Posted on: 2008/6/16 17:48

SpectatorRacing Re: Which Wilwood pad compound is best for me?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

Do you use your parking brake much? I found that I never did and ditched it as extra weight.

Strangely enough I frequently do. Mostly when loading onto the trailer, though. I set it while strapping it down so it doesn't roll.

I'm at the weight limit, though, so until I lower my HP I can't lower my weight anymore.

Bill, I'll admit I either buy rotors with the paint already on them, or steal it from someone else. I guess my $10 estimate was a bit off
Posted on: 2008/6/16 19:11

ghoffman Re: Which Wilwood pad compound is best for me?
Senior Guru
258 Posts

I really like the Wilwood H compound and the PFC 05. They both offer very linear respose and very high mu. I have never cared for the PFC 01, it has a rising rate that is a guaranteed tire flat spot generator. The BP series, BP10, 20, 30 are really great street/track pads as well. Right now, I run the PFC 05 front, Wilwood BP30 rear.
Posted on: 2008/6/17 1:56

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

What fluid?

I had Wilwood 570 in there, but it wasn't fresh. I think I got some spot boiling out there, the pedal was a little soft after 20 minutes out there on a longer session. I babied it after that.

I'll flush it before track days from now on.

Wilwood's good stuff.
If the fluid's fairly fresh, we normally just bleed the calipers.
Posted on: 2008/6/17 14:40

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
[quote]

Bill, I'll admit I either buy rotors with the paint already on them, or steal it from someone else. I guess my $10 estimate was a bit off

If the paint's already on, it did it's job and can't be used again.

The Tempilaq kit is $85, has 5 bottles. You end up with 3 bottles that are never used. But, you can get the bottles separately for $18.

There's also GB1000 brake paint that is supposed to have 6 color changes for different temps., never tried it.

I've also tried the peel and stick strips on the calipers but I think paint on the rotors is the better way.
Posted on: 2008/6/17 14:50

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.