Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Liter
Metric unit of measure. In the case of engine displacement, it measures the total volume of all combustion chambers. Therefore in a 5.7L V8, each cha...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NamGulfVette Don't know Jack Squat about SuperRam MiniRam.
Guru Newb
6 Posts

I needs edjimication. Currently own a stock 87 with auto. Only mods are K&N, DUI coil, Taylor wires, Bosch +4s, catless front Y, Hi-flow cat, H pipe on rear Y and Magnaflows.
Car runs strong but have never raced it. It is paid for so if I decide to keep it I would like to be able to keep up with the C5s and am not afraid to spend some money on her.
From my readings I will probably go with a lower rear gear, better torque converter, cam, long tubes, aftermarket (Edelbrock?) heads.
What do I do about the TPI? Port it along with the runners and base and a larger throttle body? Go with a Super or Mini Ram?
Any info on the aftermarket injection system would be appreciated. How much do they cost and where to get them? :?
Posted on: 2005/11/29 2:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

brut RE:Don't know Jack Squat about SuperRam MiniRam.
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

The Stock TPI Chokes at 4000-4500 rpm. Great for light-light racing but not good for highway or longer runs.

The Miniram is almost the opposite and that it brings alot of breathing in the upper range. But, unfortunately, some of the bottom end is lost and should be geared accordingly.

The superram seems to be the intake of choice because it has the best of both worlds and you will not lose the low end "grunt". There is alot of people who really prefer the Superram over the Miniram. In my observation, it is because the SUperram is taylored to street driving and the miniram is more for heavely modified engines.

Personally, I think the miniram looks much much better than the Superram.

I plan an intake swap next spring or summer and I will be going for the Holly Stealth Ram myself. The main drawback is that it won't fit under a stock hood. I think the look is bad-azz and the performance is up there also. The other issue is that it doesn't have a EGR provision.
Posted on: 2005/11/29 2:30

BLACKBART RE:Don't know Jack Squat about SuperRam MiniRam.
Guru Newb
1 Posts

For most street driving the super ram would be good but if you plan on kicking azz on the LS1 in a C-5 you will need a lot of mods to your old L98.

I have not driven a naturally aspirated 350 with a miniram so have no first hand experience but on my supercharged 406 with a miniram I can hit the throttle at 900 rpm with the clutch fully engaged and break the 315 kd's loose. Personally I think the miniram is much better on the low end that what i keep reading on all the forums. A 350 with a large cam will be soft on the low end anyway so for street superram may be better but miniram will kick ass on the superram at the track
Posted on: 2005/12/1 15:08

bogus RE:Don't know Jack Squat about SuperRam MiniRam.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

either way, it will wake up an L98... adding either intake, a set of 1.6:1 roller rockers and a bit of exhaust upgrades will get you a motor very close to an LT1/LT4.
Posted on: 2005/12/5 3:23

hulagan808 Re: Don't know Jack Squat about SuperRam MiniRam.
Guru
hawaii, maui
58 Posts

Playing with a tpi for performance is worthless, BUT the superram is a pita! If I had to do it all over again I would go with the miniram. I still love the sr though. The tpi runners cannot be ported as they are paper thin and the superram runners are thicker but they can't be extrude honed because the machining for the bolts leaves them very thin in these locations. When you install sr runners jb or weld all these bolt areas as many are so thin there are allready holes! It will look like a bear clawed the plenum sandcast molds as well as chunks of sand/cast inside! Warped cast lid, holes not lining up, lid bolts threaded into the aluminum, mmm sand cast holes. Aloha
Posted on: 2008/6/30 14:02

anesthes Re: Don't know Jack Squat about SuperRam MiniRam.
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

NamGulfVette wrote:
I needs edjimication. Currently own a stock 87 with auto. Only mods are K&N, DUI coil, Taylor wires, Bosch +4s, catless front Y, Hi-flow cat, H pipe on rear Y and Magnaflows.
Car runs strong but have never raced it. It is paid for so if I decide to keep it I would like to be able to keep up with the C5s and am not afraid to spend some money on her.
From my readings I will probably go with a lower rear gear, better torque converter, cam, long tubes, aftermarket (Edelbrock?) heads.
What do I do about the TPI? Port it along with the runners and base and a larger throttle body? Go with a Super or Mini Ram?
Any info on the aftermarket injection system would be appreciated. How much do they cost and where to get them? :?

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/alternative-port-efi-intakes/

^^ All the info you need.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/6/30 14:05

Guru
hawaii, maui
58 Posts

If you do go withan SR buy stock in your fave sandpaper company (I tore a pec and lat muscle polishing mine) and don't chase tiny pits (you will only uncover more) the wire harness holes are HUGE I routed mine under the ac box and had to lengthen every thing (for clean look only) Drill out and install stainless t-nuts for the lid and as soon as you get the lid ask to send it back for the supposedly free billet replacement if yours is warped (it will be). As I said I love it though, and the fact that it is available at all is a small miracle to me, helicoil the upper runner bolt holes and loktite them to access them from inside the plenum, theres more but no biggie. Aloha
Posted on: 2008/6/30 14:29

Guru
hawaii, maui
58 Posts

Just read the thirgen forums and good tips, please read them too especialy verns troubles with air distribution probs. His posts are from 06 so I can't help him now but if he looked over everything before bolting up he may have found a sand cast hole causing a internal leak (poke everywhere!) but his real problem I will bet was from his pos billet summit pcv valve as they do not seal at all and I'm surprised didn't fall into his engine! I had to machine a lip and fab a plate then seal the tube to make mine work (why? it's pretty) to machine the lip I had to make a square notched block to fit the hole to have a center to work from. NEVER ASSUME Aloha
Posted on: 2008/6/30 15:33

Guru
hawaii, maui
58 Posts

As far as tall valve covers with the SR or others, the fabbed valve covers from Canton racing (listed as for 93 and up) are notched (to clear the ac comp) but work great flipped around in order to clear the windshield wiper motor. These also "kinda" clear the runners as well. Aloha
Posted on: 2008/6/30 15:42

CentralCoaster Re: Don't know Jack Squat about SuperRam MiniRam.
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Have you looked into the new BBK intake coming out this year...

http://www.bbkperformance.com/news_item.php?nak=23

or the F.I.R.S.T. intake that's been rereleased?

http://www.firstfuelinjection.com/products.htm
Posted on: 2008/6/30 15:58

Guru
hawaii, maui
58 Posts

The First looks ok for small kine improvements over the tpi. But I personally hate TPI. (unless it's on someones 305)

The BBK looks like sealing would be a problem as bad as the SR!, but without the large plenum volume I don't see it as an improvement over the SR. Aloha
Posted on: 2008/6/30 16:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.