Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
221 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  HUD
HEADS UP DISPLAY. A DIGITAL PROJECTED DISPLAY ON INSIDE OF WINDSHIELD CONTAINING VEHICLE INFO SUCH AS SPEED, ENGINE TEMP, RPM, ETC. FOR DRIVER INFOR...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

seajayiii Rough Idle
Guru Newb
Carolina Beach, NC
9 Posts

Here are the particulars. 1990 Coupe, stock L98 with about 95K miles.

About two weeks ago, the Vette started idling very rough, particularly when warmed up. It seemed to "surge" at ilde and up to about 35 MPH, then it seemed to smooth out some. I took it to a local mechanic and he found that the vacuum line to the EGR was (at some point) incorrectly installed and the EGR valve was not functioning ... at all. He also found that the IAC valve was not operating correctly and that the #8 plug had a crack in the ceramic. All items were then replaced with genuine AC Delco replacement parts, the throttle body got a good cleaning, the fuel filter was replaced, and everything was put back together.

When I picked up the car the other day, the mechanic told me that the idle was still a bit rough, but that should smooth out once the computer recalibrates to the new parts and improved vacuum. He told me that everything else checked out fine ... injectors, fuel pressure, and all of the other diagnostics. I drove it this morning up the interstate for a while and then rode back into town. Honestly, I don't think it's running (idling) any better than when I dropped it off at the mechanic and it still seems to surge, particularly when it's warmed up.

Is there any truth to the claim that the computer will recalibrate to the new parts/improved vacuum? If so, how long will that take? Do I need to run a tank or two of gas before I notice a difference?[/font]
Posted on: 2008/7/13 0:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

FATED Re: Rough Idle
Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

I may be incorrect because I am not that familiar with the 90. In most cases the IAC resets every time you shut the engine off. So when the engine is started the IAC meters the air required to meet target idle at what ever temperature the coolant is at.

If it has a rough idle but stays close to the target idle look for spark plugs, ignition wires, fuel injectors. If it will not stay close to target idle look for air leaks.

The EGR should not function at idle and if it did not function at all you should have got a check engine light.
Posted on: 2008/7/13 2:06

KeyWestJack Re: Rough Idle
Guru Newb
Pittsburgh
25 Posts

When ever I hear about rough idle all of a sudden I generally start out believing that it is a vacuum leak. Check all of you hoses even the PCV hose.
Posted on: 2008/7/13 2:32

bogus Re: Rough Idle
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

take some brake cleaner and start spraying it around the engine compartment... on hoses, intake manifold, things like that. If you hear a rev up, you have found the leak.
Posted on: 2008/7/13 3:45

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.