Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
284 user(s) are online (269 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Weather Stripping
It should be soft and pliable. Tears, rips and holes are red flags that the seals are bad.

Corvette weather stripping is a known problem. Replaci...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

biggrizzly Essential Mods to 13 yr old C4 to start Autocrossing?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I just got back from my first Autocross outing. I didn't get to drive since my car is still being put back together, however I had a blast riding shotgun in a friends C6.

I want to autocross my '94 when it is back together here soon, but wanted to know what you guys think are essential things that need to be addressed on an older C4 prior to racing in the autocross events.

The suspension is untouched and stock except for shocks which need replacing anyhow.
Posted on: 2008/8/11 18:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Essential Mods to 13 yr old C4 to start Autocrossing?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I did autoX and a few road course events on my 23 yr old original shocks.

They will get stiffer as they leak, not softer. So it'll mean less damping on rough surfaces, but it won't really hurt anything.

Auto-X abuses pretty much everything on the car, but is too short to really build up too much heat in the brakes/power steering/oil/coolant.

A manual fan switch for cooling the coolant down between rounds wouldn't hurt.

On the suspension, you'll find out very soon what needs replacing. Every single ball joint, tie rod end, wheel bearing, and bushing is going to be put to the test. You may get a few events out of the stock bearings before getting too much slop. Even if they fail, they won't fall off the car. Unfortunately, in my experience, the replacements out there aren't great, and will wear out quickly if not broken in for a few thousand easy miles.

Stock lower ball joints can be checked for wear. Uppers can't. Most of them are greaseable. I'm still on my original tie rod ends, but have replaced everything else in the suspension. Most of my bushings were cracked and squirting out, but they are much older than yours (1985).

Any weaknesses in the power steering will be found. A loose or cracked hose will either leak, or suck air into the pump and damage it eventually.

You also want to make sure the throttle response is perfect. A sticky throttle or any stumble off idle will have a huge effect. A clean TB, and properly working IAC and TPS should take care of that.

And check your alignment and tire pressure. Most cars out there were bumping the tire pressure up to prevent the tire from rolling over onto the sidewall. You'll get more life out of them with some extra camber and tire pressure.
Posted on: 2008/8/11 19:11

SpectatorRacing Re: Essential Mods to 13 yr old C4 to start Autocrossing?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

While everything CC says is true, for your first time you don't need to do much of anything. You're going to be so far from the limits that you're not going to hurt the car any more than a fast freeway on-ramp. Find out if you enjoy it, then spend the money. As long as your car is safe, has fresh fluids, and no obvious problems that this could exacerbate, then just go and have a good time. Worry about things like sunscreen and water bottles for you instead.

If this were open track you need to take it a lot more seriously for your first time - much more chance of things going horribly wrong.

Once you get good you'll have to start upgrading...you'll find all of the failure modes listed above...
Posted on: 2008/8/11 20:18

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

It wouldn't make you the first guy to go out and spend $10000 on a new racing seat, 6-pt harness, slicks, supercharger, portable air tools, enclosed trailer, GM race team helmet with matching driving suit, and leather gloves with the fingertips cut out, before plopping down $50 for a day of embarrassment against stock imports in a parking lot.
Posted on: 2008/8/11 20:26

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Oh, and don't forget to tighten your lugnuts.

Posted on: 2008/8/11 20:28

Notorious Re: Essential Mods to 13 yr old C4 to start Autocrossing?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
It wouldn't make you the first guy to go out and spend $10000 on a new racing seat, 6-pt harness, slicks, supercharger, portable air tools, enclosed trailer, GM race team helmet with matching driving suit, and leather gloves with the fingertips cut out, before plopping down $50 for a day of embarrassment against stock imports in a parking lot.

Well stated. Corvettes suck on your average short auto-X course and you will get your clock cleaned by almost everyone who knows what they're doing. If your car's not stock and you have to run a modified class, it's even worse. Auto-X is a very humbling experience until you gain some experience. I thought it'd be pretty easy since I spent a few years racing on dirt and (occasionally on) paved ovals when I was younger. I was never more wrong about anything, even when I was married!
Posted on: 2008/8/11 22:26

TommyT-Bone Re: Essential Mods to 13 yr old C4 to start Autocrossing?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2008/8/11 22:36

biggrizzly Re: Essential Mods to 13 yr old C4 to start Autocrossing?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Worry about things like sunscreen and water bottles for you instead.

These lesson learned yesterday. I'm a bit red from exposure, but was smart enough to bring my own SPF30.

The lug nut incident would be totally embarrassing!

Yesterday's Autocross was an NCCC event which was nearly 100% Corvettes, but there was a little Dodge Neon, a couple Porches and a Suzuki all putting in great times against very experienced Cvette Racers.
Posted on: 2008/8/11 22:38

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

In the beginning your racing against yourself trying to hone your skills or define your lack of them. Basically, everything you know is wrong. Seat time cures bad habits.
Posted on: 2008/8/11 22:41

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Here's another tidbit that includes a little on car set up plus other info.

http://tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm
Posted on: 2008/8/11 23:20

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
Corvettes suck on your average short auto-X course and you will get your clock cleaned by almost everyone who knows what they're doing.

Down here, they run a tight course with lots of potholes and the C4 drivers always win their stock class, assuming any of them show up.

That's against the Boxster, M3, BMW Z4, NSX, S2000, EVO, STi, etc.

On my first and only auto-X for example, my best lap was 3rd place out of 15 in the novice group, (1st and 2nd were both Lotus Elise.) But because of the higher handicap given to the other cars, I was actually placed 8th.

I'm sure there's some national scale also that will show you exactly how the stock C4s are scored against everything else. Pretty much says who's who on the totem pole. I'll see if I can find it.
Posted on: 2008/8/12 1:23

BrianCunningham Re: Essential Mods to 13 yr old C4 to start Autocrossing?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

All good stuff here.

Remember it's 80% driver, and it takes a while to get used to it.

LOOK AHEAD
A lot of drivers get so caught up on the cones immediately in front of them, they get lost on course.
Posted on: 2008/8/12 19:07

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Don't try setting any records on your 1st trip out, simply learn the course, and remember all the tricky spots.

If you have to work the course, try and find a slow part and watch everyone else's line.

Then on your later runs, build on it. I killed a few cones on my 2nd lap trying to find the limits and then honed in from there.

If you hit a cone, then that lap just became another learning session, just like when you redlight at the dragstrip.

I always check my times, no matter how new I am. Gives you a point of reference on your improvement, and you can compare with similar cars to see how far off you are.

I disagree with anyone who says to ignore lap times, because sometimes what feels fast, isn't. Plus you make huge gains when you're starting up the learning curve, and its rewarding to see those gains on paper.

Auto-X is sort of like 52-card pickup, except with cones.
Posted on: 2008/8/12 19:25

SpectatorRacing Re: Essential Mods to 13 yr old C4 to start Autocrossing?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Care to explain this one?
Posted on: 2008/8/13 18:36

sccavette Re: Essential Mods to 13 yr old C4 to start Autocrossing?
Guru Newb
Kokomo Indiana
39 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

I have picked up a few cones at events but never 52. I can imagine A LOT of pissed of corner workers if I were to do that.
Posted on: 2008/10/7 18:05

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I was referring to somebody scattering a pile of cones across a parking lot, and your job is to make some sense of them.

Down here the SCCA won't even chalk the edges of the course.
Posted on: 2008/10/7 19:08

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.