Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
230 user(s) are online (201 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  National Corvette Museum
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Anonymous 84' Starter location, need help!
Guru Newb
35 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know cars all that well and I am slowly learning and getting better and problem solving them. I need help though. My '84 vette won't start anymore and I think it has to do with the starter or the solenoid. I tried to start it one day and it would not turn over and made that clicking sound. Then a week went by and I tried it again but the battery was completely drained. I charged it and it started(baffled) and moved it to my garage, but of course after that day it would not start again, then eventually the batt. was completely drained again. I am not sure what the problem is anymore but still think it might be the solenoid or the starter.

Anybody have any comments or solutions to this problem?

I can't find the stupid starter. I have a Hanes manual for '84 vettes through '96 all the C4's, but it does not illustrate very well of where the location is. Thats my biggest problem because I want to take it out and have it tested to make sure that is the problem.

thanks,
Jeff
Posted on: 2005/12/16 0:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

brut RE:84' Starter location, need help!
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

I posted this in the "Chat" section too...

First off, welcome to C4guru!

I could be wrong here, but it sounds like your battery is bad and not your Starter. I would pull it out and have it tested. Or better yet, get it started and drive it to a place like Autozone and they should be able to do a quick test of it and the Alternator while it is still in the car.

If both of those turn out to be OK, and you want to pull the starter itself.....

It will be on the bottom of the passenger side of the block. It will be right where the engine and tranny meet. A novice could pull it out with a little patience...just remember to UNHOOK BATTERY FIRST!!! Those cable you pulloff will be live and if they touch metal....that could be bad!!

Good luck!
Posted on: 2005/12/16 0:45

Anonymous gratefull
Guru Newb
35 Posts

thank you very much that helped a lot!

thanks,
Jeff
Posted on: 2005/12/16 0:59

kehler RE:84' Starter location, need help!
Guru Newb
Pembroke, NH
4 Posts

Jeff one of the first things you want to do is get rid of the Haynes manual, they suck. Get the Helms shop manual.
Posted on: 2005/12/16 16:05

hulagan808 Re: 84' Starter location, need help!
Guru
hawaii, maui
58 Posts

when you have a dead batt. charge to full, hook up the positive cable only and with a electric tester connect the meter + probe to the - post and the other probe to Frame with the - cable disconnected. you should not see any voltage other than memory then pull fuses for anything that needs memory (will have to reset) to see a drain on the batt then just find cause of drain :0 short, relay stuck, horn, amp, stereo, hvac ect. pull one fuse at a time till you find the circuit. then chase the wires in that circuit. but always clean ALL grounds first even if they "look" good. use aluminum oxide paste on all connectors (oxguard is one brand) never use dielectric grease when making connections only AFTER the connections have been made, dielectric grease does not conduct electricity for shyte. alldatadiy.com has a online manual for diagrams of specific circuits. Aloha
Posted on: 2008/6/28 12:33

Qack Re: 84' Starter location, need help!
Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

I was having starting problems as well. Had the battery checked on the local Autozone's battery testing machine; it tested OK. Spent another week chasing a non-existent electrical drain. No luck.

Had the battery tested again on Pep Boys' battery testing machine; it tested OK. Spent another frustrating week chasing non-existent gremlins. Put in new battery and haven't had a problem since.

I second the recommendation to get a Helms Factory Service Manual. The Haynes manual is less than useless.
Posted on: 2008/6/28 16:15

pappyfreebird Re: 84' Starter location, need help!
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

yea mayun welcome
n i jus sorta did same thing ...ceptin mine was a junque batt...good luck fellas n keep us posted
Posted on: 2008/6/28 16:56

bogus Re: 84' Starter location, need help!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

heat will effect a battery a lot. If it is hot, it might be failing... so when cold, gives a false ok.
Posted on: 2008/6/28 20:51

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.