Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
180 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  DIC
Driver Information Center.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It’s above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pappyfreebird 84 c4
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

had womin fire it up taday (make sure ok after been sittun)...have had this happin befoe (n read bout it maybe a ground) ...but blinker n high beam indicators r lit n dash is dimly lit... couple times its done this its fixed itself after a block er so...cant drive at moment..maybe time ta fix it fer good..thanks fellas pappy
Posted on: 2008/8/14 19:13
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: 84 c4
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

there are some dirty contacts on the grounds. I will about bet money on it.
Posted on: 2008/8/14 19:26

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

pappyfreebird Re: 84 c4
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

ima bettun yer right bog...i fired her up lights still lit...closed door n whapzingo singnals went out n dash lit up..ill hafta tug on a few wires ..headlight grounds n tranny main ground seem fine (cant really seemain ground ) n cant git under her right now...any dash wire type ground i should look fer?
Posted on: 2008/8/14 20:11

happydad Re: 84 c4
Senior Guru
northern Ill
151 Posts

You can pull the digital panel out and and clean the contacts.. There will be one plug on the back right side..But I doubt if that's the problem...I agree with Bogus..It's a ground...Battery,Main bundle and such...Had the same problem myself..You'll find it
Posted on: 2008/8/16 10:39
86 Coupe,350 bored .040 over,Eagle Internals,Scorp RR.Crane Cam,Hedman Hedders,Holley Mani,TCI Trans,3:73 Rear, Demon Carb ,Hole in the hood Scooped and Lots of leaks(Horsepower) I forget :thumbleft:

bogus Re: 84 c4
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The Helm Manual has the ground points. I would check them.

The main ground is on the frame rail at the battery. The other main ground is to the block. The area under the battery is prone to rusting - badly. I took my battery and inner fender off one weekend to clean it up. The rust was surprising. I sanded it down and painted the area to protect it again. Seems to be doing good. I can't see inside the rails, tho...

Check the main junction box where power comes from, too. That's behind the battery. It is also a known fire source.

The other bit... the interior grounds. They all meet at the kick panels. There is one on each side.

GM harnesses prior to 1990 are junk. Somewhere around 1990, the SAE changed the composition of the wire. This change meant that the insulation didn't crack, shrink, break, chaffe, react badly to heat and chemicals. In short, it became life long durable.

My 92 harness looks great. Bastet44's 87 harness looked like death warmed over. The connectors were all nasty, the insulation shrinking and pulling away, cracking, dryrotting... yuck.

Be ready to fix some of the harness ends, clean up some connections and clean up the grounds. You live in a land of humidity, rain and winter. All sorts of nasty shit can make your cars life a living hell. They add up to difficult to fix bugs just like this.

That's my 2 cents.
Posted on: 2008/8/16 19:52

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.