Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
225 user(s) are online (200 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Vette
Shorthand notation for Corvette. See also vert and vertte. Usually preceeded by a "'", as in 'vette....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

biggrizzly Air compressor maintenance
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

What do you guys do to keep moisture out of your compressors?
I empty it after every use and drain it, but it still gets a bunch of water in there after all day of use.

What will prevent the condensation on the inside of the tank? Will inline filters help at all?

When I drain it at the end of the day I seem to get a fair amount of moisture on the floor with a slight rust color, so I know that the tank is oxidizing somewhat.

What to do in humid Maryland?
Posted on: 2008/8/20 1:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Livin_the_dream Re: Air compressor maintenance
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Don
its pretty much the nature of the beast . You can get automatic drains and add a line to spit the moisture outside the garage. What you can do is add a passive air drier to the line coming out of the compressor . The basically use silica gel caps to dry the air and you can out them in an old toaster oven and dry them back out for reuse. I would say a 100-200 investment maybe a little more depending on the size unit.
Posted on: 2008/8/20 2:38

biggrizzly Re: Air compressor maintenance
4543 Posts

I plan to run some permanent pvc air lines and connectors in the garage when I do the renovations next year. I was thinking about adding an inline filter system, but wasn't sure about a good moisture trap.

Thanks for the ideas.
Posted on: 2008/8/20 10:30

Notorious Re: Air compressor maintenance
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

This might be more than you ever wanted to know on the subject, but here ya' go!

Air line piping
Posted on: 2008/8/20 14:34

biggrizzly Re: Air compressor maintenance
4543 Posts

Thanks - pretty cool setup. I think I understand the concept, but why three loops? Each one catches a bit more condensate?
Posted on: 2008/8/20 16:05

happydad Re: Air compressor maintenance
Senior Guru
northern Ill
151 Posts

The three loops catch most of the condensation along with the filter on the end...This guy must do alot of painting...IMO the three loops are overkill..You could do one with a drain and use a filter at the end...I would rethink PVC Tubing though.... :toothy3:
Posted on: 2008/11/2 10:35
86 Coupe,350 bored .040 over,Eagle Internals,Scorp RR.Crane Cam,Hedman Hedders,Holley Mani,TCI Trans,3:73 Rear, Demon Carb ,Hole in the hood Scooped and Lots of leaks(Horsepower) I forget :thumbleft:

jsup Re: Air compressor maintenance
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Do you have a line dryer in line? As far as the purge goes, I'm trying to figure out how to hook up a timer with a solenoid to purge the tank daily....Haven't figure it out just yet, too many other priorities
Posted on: 2008/11/2 16:16

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

happydad wrote:
The three loops catch most of the condensation along with the filter on the end...This guy must do alot of painting...IMO the three loops are overkill..You could do one with a drain and use a filter at the end...I would rethink PVC Tubing though.... :toothy3:

I use PVC because it's easy...Nothing wrong with it, it's sched 8 is too to 300 PSI.

steel is better, but PVC is so much easier to work with, and does the job adequately.
Posted on: 2008/11/2 16:17

Senior Guru
northern Ill
151 Posts

In my weather I would Worry about The cold....I went Galvanized just my preference
Posted on: 2008/11/2 17:02
86 Coupe,350 bored .040 over,Eagle Internals,Scorp RR.Crane Cam,Hedman Hedders,Holley Mani,TCI Trans,3:73 Rear, Demon Carb ,Hole in the hood Scooped and Lots of leaks(Horsepower) I forget :thumbleft:

Senior Guru
northern Ill
151 Posts

Yes Pvc is Great to work with.... But If God forbid some thing happens like the compressor over runs the cut off switch( don't ask me how I know)Or if your in a cold weather climate...There will be condensation and problems unless ya got a heated garage..Otherwise go copper or galvinised and be done with it...Be Safe...JMHO
Posted on: 2008/11/2 17:19

BillH Re: Air compressor maintenance
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Do you have a line dryer in line? As far as the purge goes, I'm trying to figure out how to hook up a timer with a solenoid to purge the tank daily....Haven't figure it out just yet, too many other priorities

You can buy one from Ingersol Rand or MotorGuard but, they're pricy, $200.

There's also a timed solenoid drain valve avalible for $122 but, the one I've seen is in catalog from a direct competitor on our forum. PM me if interested.
Posted on: 2008/11/5 16:20

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

happydad wrote:
Yes Pvc is Great to work with.... But If God forbid some thing happens like the compressor over runs the cut off switch( don't ask me how I know)Or if your in a cold weather climate...There will be condensation and problems unless ya got a heated garage..Otherwise go copper or galvinised and be done with it...Be Safe...JMHO

You suck man, right after you posted this I got a leak in my system. UNDER GROUND. It's been there for 5 years with no problems, you go post and BANG. Easier to blame you than me.

I suspect that water collected and pooled at the bottom.

I keep my compressor in the shed, 50 feet from the house, and run pipe under ground to the garage, so I don't have to listen to it run all the time.

Now I have to dig up the lowest spot where the water probably collected.
Posted on: 2008/11/5 16:26

CentralCoaster Re: Air compressor maintenance
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The pvc will produce less condensation, and it should last forever if it doesn't see sunlight.

I would be leary of galvanized, the threads aren't protected and moisture will start eating up the lines over time.

I guess seeing your post I would make an exception for something buried or otherwise inaccessible, and put copper or something more reliable in there. Did it freeze?
Posted on: 2008/11/6 0:16

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
The pvc will produce less condensation, and it should last forever if it doesn't see sunlight.

I would be leary of galvanized, the threads aren't protected and moisture will start eating up the lines over time.

I guess seeing your post I would make an exception for something buried or otherwise inaccessible, and put copper or something more reliable in there. Did it freeze?

There was a lot of water in the dryer, I think the lowest point collected water and froze. I have to dig it up and see.

I will still replace it with PVC when I'm done, black pipe is just really hard to work with.
Posted on: 2008/11/6 0:52

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.