Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Liter
Metric unit of measure. In the case of engine displacement, it measures the total volume of all combustion chambers. Therefore in a 5.7L V8, each cha...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BrianCunningham Wanna be SCCA Prez?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/327831.aspx

Quote:
turbotoddie:
Read today that Jim Julow is leaving as of Feb 2009. Reasons given were because the BOD and himself disagreed on which direction the club needs to go to prosper. Let's see, how many presidents have we had in the last 10yrs? Maybe the BOD could be the problem and why SCCA is still the Secret Car Club of America?

Your thoughts?

turbo

Be interesting to see who get's in.
Posted on: 2008/10/17 21:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Wanna be SCCA Prez?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I wouldn't mind knowing what the difference of opinion was.
When Julow got the job, I felt he'd push the Pro side of things. I'm tired of seeing the Pro racers getting support from the Club racers money, even if it was in loans.

BOD chairman, R.J.Gordy is a club racer, from our region. He's a pretty standup guy.

That being said, in my corner of the world, the San Francisco Region does one hell of a job putting on races.
Posted on: 2008/10/18 13:57

bogus Re: Wanna be SCCA Prez?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

As mentioned in the other SCCA thread, they used to have a strict code of conduct.

They were also snobs! Back in the day, to be a part of the SCCA required not only an appropriate car, but the right blood line.

In the early days, there was also racism. That did exist much more so in the pre-SCCA days, but it didn't go away until the late 50s-early 60s.

I have encountered some of the SCCA attitudes. Back in the late 80s, I would go to WV and visit a buddy of mine who lived near Summit Point. Great track... but there were some real stuck up SOBs out there. I guess the amount of money needed to do this bred that attitude.

I did enjoy going, it didn't ruin it for me, but it was a bit interesting to watch.

I will admit, I have seen similar attitudes in RC car racing! So it might just be the nature of the beast.

The current SCCA has a problem... it's called "NASCAR." They have had some successes over the years (think Trans/Am), but for the most part, they have never had the insight needed to leverage that success.

I agree with the assessment that perhaps it isn't the chairmans problem, but the BoD... Not like that hasn't happened before.
Posted on: 2008/10/18 19:13

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

sccavette Re: Wanna be SCCA Prez?
Guru Newb
Kokomo Indiana
39 Posts

hmmm I think I will run. I always wanted to be Prez.

It is time for change lololol
Posted on: 2008/10/18 23:06

JrRifleCoach Re: Wanna be SCCA Prez?
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

The SCCA has been an amateur racing organization that wants to be pro but can't be because its still a stepping stone to the pro ranks. Over the years this has been the BOD's loss of direction and self image.

On the bright side when all the other racing organizations have come and gone the SCCA is still there. Not bad for an uppity bunch of racist SOB's.

Most of todays pro racers can look back at their start with an SCCA amateur series. I met Andy Pilgrim and Randy Pobst as fellow Solo 2 beginners in the 80's. OK, enough name dropping, you get the idea......
Posted on: 2008/10/19 6:14
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

BillH Re: Wanna be SCCA Prez?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
As mentioned in the other SCCA thread, they used to have a strict code of conduct.

They were also snobs! Back in the day, to be a part of the SCCA required not only an appropriate car, but the right blood line.

In the early days, there was also racism. That did exist much more so in the pre-SCCA days, but it didn't go away until the late 50s-early 60s.

I have encountered some of the SCCA attitudes. Back in the late 80s, I would go to WV and visit a buddy of mine who lived near Summit Point. Great track... but there were some real stuck up SOBs out there. I guess the amount of money needed to do this bred that attitude.

I did enjoy going, it didn't ruin it for me, but it was a bit interesting to watch.

I will admit, I have seen similar attitudes in RC car racing! So it might just be the nature of the beast.

The current SCCA has a problem... it's called "NASCAR." They have had some successes over the years (think Trans/Am), but for the most part, they have never had the insight needed to leverage that success.

I agree with the assessment that perhaps it isn't the chairmans problem, but the BoD... Not like that hasn't happened before.

You really have to separate SCCA Pro racing from the real SCCA.

The stuck up SOB's seem to vary by region, I've seen a few, actually at Summit Point (early 80's) and heard of a few inthe northern midwest.

I would suggest however that you attend a local roadrace. You'll be supprised how great the people are there, in Cal Club (S.Cal) or come up to N.Cal. San Francisco Region and hang out at the Satruday nite social that's free to all workers, competitors and guests.
Posted on: 2008/10/19 13:16

sccavette Re: Wanna be SCCA Prez?
Guru Newb
Kokomo Indiana
39 Posts

[/quote]
You really have to separate SCCA Pro racing from the real SCCA.

The stuck up SOB's seem to vary by region, I've seen a few, actually at Summit Point (early 80's) and heard of a few inthe northern midwest.

I would suggest however that you attend a local roadrace. You'll be supprised how great the people are there, in Cal Club (S.Cal) or come up to N.Cal. San Francisco Region and hang out at the Satruday nite social that's free to all workers, competitors and guests.[/quote]

I have ran SCCA autocross for many local regions and never found any stuck up people. I did meet some that wanted to complain and acuse me of cheating BUT I guess you have that in any organization.
Posted on: 2008/10/19 14:21

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.