Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
225 user(s) are online (198 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  New Hampshire Motor Speedway
This is the new name for New Hampshire International Speedway.

Also known as NHMS....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
« 1 (2)
 Topic is Locked

PeteK Re: Transmission questions, PETE!!!! YOU AROUND?
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
who is GN and can I get a link?

GN is Buick Grand National
They used a 27 spline, 2004r
Ratios are similar to a turbo 350, thus you will lose the steep first gear of a 700. You would have less rpm drop on the 1-2 shift of the 2004r, however.
Trans case and tailhousing are 1 pc, with a conventional mount system. You would have to have a crossmember fabbed up, and a mount to secure the rear end as well. You don't ever hear of this swap because it it not feasablle without major fab work.
Then you have what is arguable similar transmissions, but the 200 will have a thinner, weaker input shaft.
Posted on: 2008/10/26 15:04

jsup Re: Transmission questions, PETE!!!! YOU AROUND?
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Quote:

jsup wrote:

Ratios are similar to a turbo 350, thus you will lose the steep first gear of a 700. You would have less rpm drop on the 1-2 shift of the 2004r, however.
Trans case and tailhousing are 1 pc, with a conventional mount system. You would have to have a crossmember fabbed up, and a mount to secure the rear end as well. You don't ever hear of this swap because it it not feasablle without major fab work.
Then you have what is arguable similar transmissions, but the 200 will have a thinner, weaker input shaft.

If I'm spending that kind of money I'm going for the 4L80 conversion. At least it's a stronger trans.
Posted on: 2008/10/26 15:09

pr0zac Re: Transmission questions, PETE!!!! YOU AROUND?
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

TPI-guy wrote:
I myself would go to the GN site's, and see what they use. Go see how they beefed up there 200R4 to take over 800 hp.
yeah and there is also 700r4 built to hold the same. why reinvent the wheel?
Posted on: 2008/10/26 15:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Quote:

jsup wrote:

If I'm spending that kind of money I'm going for the 4L80 conversion. At least it's a stronger trans.

True. That is why you do not hear about 2004r conversions in c4's. If someone is going through all that trouble, they normally do step up to the 4l80e.

I am currently seeking custom planetaries to achieve turbo 350 type ratios for the 700, and am coming up blank.
I may (one day) do a 2004r build up, and attempt to custom fab the rear of the trans to work in a c4. Probably going to waste my time, but feel compelled to try it.
This assumes I ever do find some spare time.
Posted on: 2008/10/26 15:50

Re: Transmission questions, PETE!!!! YOU AROUND?
Guest_
Jsup and Petek. I think you guys mis-understood my post. I wasn't saying for you guys to go with a 200. My suggestion was to find out where these tranny's were being built, and do some investigation to what they suggest for 600 hp. maybe these gs know there 700's as well. BTW, will that combo make 600 hp?
Posted on: 2008/10/26 16:29

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

TPI-guy wrote:
Jsup and Petek. I think you guys mis-understood my post. I wasn't saying for you guys to go with a 200. My suggestion was to find out where these tranny's were being built, and do some investigation to what they suggest for 600 hp. maybe these gs know there 700's as well. BTW, will that combo make 600 hp?

I did misunderstand the post, but it is an intersting alternative.
As I mentioned in my other post, I would like to figure out a way for a 2004r to work well in a c4 and at the same time use it for r&d.
I am fortunate, as I have the ability to build them as tough as I think is humanly possible (700r4), but most everyone out there must pay and hope for a good job.
Posted on: 2008/10/26 17:00

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

TPI-guy wrote:
BTW, will that combo make 600 hp?

Why do you think it wouldn't?

Posted on: 2008/10/26 18:12

Guest_
With the new ZR-1's making just a tad bit over 600, and they have a blower. Heh, maybe you will. Let us know. I have just found that making 550-600 chp with a Gen1 isn't easy with good street manners where it's not hard at all with a LSx motor. My C5 for instance makes over 560 chp, and it's just a boring 402 that passes emmissions. Saying that I still like the Gen1 motors. I guess what I am saying is that you really have to put a super stout motor together (500 rwhp) 600 chp with Gen 1's. I just haven't seen too many guys do it with a hyd roller, or maybe you have?
Posted on: 2008/10/26 19:53

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

TPI-guy wrote:
With the new ZR-1's making just a tad bit over 600, and they have a blower. Heh, maybe you will. Let us know. I have just found that making 550-600 chp with a Gen1 isn't easy with good street manners where it's not hard at all with a LSx motor. My C5 for instance makes over 560 chp, and it's just a boring 402 that passes emmissions. Saying that I still like the Gen1 motors. I guess what I am saying is that you really have to put a super stout motor together (500 rwhp) 600 chp with Gen 1's. I just haven't seen too many guys do it with a hyd roller, or maybe you have?

Here's just one of many examples. 568 HP out of this with a budget build, and streetable.

30 more HP to move up to the same heads CNCd, that's pretty close to 600 on a streetable motor.

It's done every day.
Posted on: 2008/10/27 17:30

cuisinartvette Re: Transmission questions, PETE!!!! YOU AROUND?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Did you have it dynoed, I missed that I guess.
Posted on: 2008/10/27 17:40

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Did you have it dynoed, I missed that I guess.

Trans is gone, finger is broken, so it will be a bit. $2600 for a trans, and a few weeks on my finger, looking like spring.

Here's a 601 HP small block with the machined heads.

http://brodix.com/heads/ik210dyno.html
Posted on: 2008/10/27 17:43

Guest_
Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

TPI-guy wrote:

Here's just one of many examples. 568 HP out of this with a budget build, and streetable.

30 more HP to move up to the same heads CNCd, that's pretty close to 600 on a streetable motor.

It's done every day.
Actually it's quite the opposite infact. It is done everyday on LSx stuff in a blink of the eye. Years ago, I build a 383 for my C4, and it dynoed 330rwhp. It was quite an eye opener. Remember the LS7 427 makes about 490-520 chp stock. One of the biggest reasons why it's so efficient and can pass emmisions with flying colours is because it has a very small cam with heads that flow 335cfm plus. You went the other way, bigger cam, with much weaker flowing heads. Very much looking forward to seeing how the car performs. Last big stroker I saw was a 434 with a solid roller with 235cc heads, and stout compression. It made 515 rwhp which was a tad over 600chp.
Posted on: 2008/10/27 18:51

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

TPI-guy wrote:
Actually it's quite the opposite infact

Not with the right engine builder, now internet jockies it is actually quite routine. I just posted a couple examples where real builders can get it easily.
Quote:

It is done everyday on LSx stuff in a blink of the eye.

What's your point, what does this have to do with anything?

Quote:
Years ago, I build a 383 for my C4, and it dynoed 330rwhp. It was quite an eye opener.

So basically, you took internet advice and built a crappy combination and it didn't run worth a shit. GM crate engines with a crappy little cam and fast burn heads put down 400 CHP. I now see your problem. You get your advice from the interweb.Quote:

Remember the LS7 427 makes about 490-520 chp stock. One of the biggest reasons why it's so efficient and can pass emmisions with flying colours is because it has a very small cam with heads that flow 335cfm plus.

Where do you get this stuff? Are you sober when you write it? Are you from Canada? Just wondering...

Quote:

You went the other way, bigger cam, with much weaker flowing heads. Very much looking forward to seeing how the car performs. Last big stroker I saw was a 434 with a solid roller with 235cc heads, and stout compression. It made 515 rwhp which was a tad over 600chp.

Oh I see, you're one of those. Do us all a favor, don't give anyone advice here..

Let me get this straight, you SAW a 434 with heads...interesting. Nothing about the cam, tune, etc...it was all about head flow got it. That was a shitty combination if only put 600 HP. More evidence that internet advice is worth the paper is written on. Ask Pr0zac.
Posted on: 2008/10/27 20:13

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

[QUOTE]Remember the LS7 427 makes about 490-520 chp stock. One of the biggest reasons why it's so efficient and can pass emmisions with flying colours is because it has a very small cam with heads that flow 335cfm plus.
[/QUOTE]
True. They avg. 435-450rwhp stock, for some reason the LSx based Vettes seem to have less % drivetrain loss. You get a good enough head you dont need a cam and all the associated overlap to make good power.
Posted on: 2008/10/27 20:21

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
[QUOTE]Remember the LS7 427 makes about 490-520 chp stock. One of the biggest reasons why it's so efficient and can pass emmisions with flying colours is because it has a very small cam with heads that flow 335cfm plus.
[/QUOTE]
True. They avg. 435-450rwhp stock, for some reason the C5s seem to have less % drivetrain loss. You get a good enough head you dont need a cam and all the associated overlap to make good power.

These guys keep stock heads and put in new cams, they get more power.

Kinda puts the flow argument on it's ass doesn't it.

Still don't know what it has to do with anything...

The cam determines the power.
Posted on: 2008/10/27 20:22

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
Nope

You have a good enough head you can make excellent power, and yes, more with a little more cam as it has the capacity or "growing room" built in.

Try sticking a big cam in a stock Gen 1 head and see what happens.
Posted on: 2008/10/27 20:34

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
Nope

You have a good enough head you can make excellent power, and yes, more with a little more cam as it has the capacity or "growing room" built in.

You missed my point...
Posted on: 2008/10/27 20:37

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

hey big grizzly, what did I tell you about HP number when we spoke, was I right?
Posted on: 2008/10/27 20:55

Deakins Re: Transmission questions, PETE!!!! YOU AROUND?
Guru Newb
8 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
Nope

Well it's actually done all the time... You end up with a 355 breathing through a 2 BARREL carburetor making 350hp (on gas) at 7200RPM all the way around the track (and this is the fastest way around the track for them). So what is your point? I don't want to know what you've seen or heard, I want to know what you've done. What have the engines that you've built done? Here lets do this; tell me what the difference will be between a 410 unlimited sprint car engine that is run with a set of -10X (23*) cylinder heads that flow 360cfm and the same engine that now runs a set of -12 (15*) cylinder heads that also flow 360cfm? Tell me which one will make more power and where (these engines operate from 6000-8200RPM).
Posted on: 2008/10/27 21:46

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

no way. an ls1 can make more power. get out of town. is that why a ls1 head flows very similar numbers to an lt4 head, yet it has 10 times the potential? i wonder why that is? might it be cause it has about half the valve angle not to mention a completely different design. but who cares about that. its all dry flow. who built that 402? and your 383? hell any idiot off the street could build a 330rwhp motor. you obviously did something wrong when you can drop a hotcam kit in an lt1 and net the same results. pat yourself on the back for that one!
Posted on: 2008/10/27 22:24

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Edit: Im familiar with stock class cirlce track rules they are limited to factory heads.
Sprint cars? Never built one
Street motors? Plenty and more are on the way.

No "point" just trying to state my opinion.
I will always be of the opinion that heads are where the power is at

Who are you referring to?

[QUOTE]no way. an ls1 can make more power. get out of town. is that why a ls1 head flows very similar numbers to an lt4 head, yet it has 10 times the potential? i wonder why that is? might it be cause it has about half the valve angle not to mention a completely different design. but who cares about that. its all dry flow. who built that 402? and your 383? hell any idiot off the street could build a 330rwhp motor. you obviously did something wrong when you can drop a hotcam kit in an lt1 and net the same results. pat yourself on the back for that one![/QUOTE]
Posted on: 2008/10/27 22:47

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
no way. an ls1 can make more power. get out of town. is that why a ls1 head flows very similar numbers to an lt4 head, yet it has 10 times the potential? i wonder why that is? might it be cause it has about half the valve angle not to mention a completely different design. but who cares about that. its all dry flow. who built that 402? and your 383? hell any idiot off the street could build a 330rwhp motor. you obviously did something wrong when you can drop a hotcam kit in an lt1 and net the same results. pat yourself on the back for that one!

pr0zac, you make my writing style seem tame....I love it.

except you left out with that 330 RWHP with a hot cam, it's still a 350!!! I would think a 383/402 should do better than that.
Posted on: 2008/10/27 23:02

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Edit: Im familiar with stock class cirlce track rules they are limited to factory heads.

[QUOTE]no way. an ls1 can make more power. get out of town. is that why a ls1 head flows very similar numbers to an lt4 head, yet it has 10 times the potential? i wonder why that is? might it be cause it has about half the valve angle not to mention a completely different design. but who cares about that. its all dry flow. who built that 402? and your 383? hell any idiot off the street could build a 330rwhp motor. you obviously did something wrong when you can drop a hotcam kit in an lt1 and net the same results. pat yourself on the back for that one![/QUOTE]

the tpiguy who seems to be the tpi/lsXguy with a nasty ground pounding 383 c4!! who gives a shit. isn't this a transmission thread? not a i am going to insert my uncalled for opinion about other peoples motors when i can't build a motor to save my life thread.
Posted on: 2008/10/27 23:15

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

When properly chosen for the right reasons, and in consideration of the rest of the build, yes.

Problem is, many people thumb through the Summit catalog or hop on the interweb and buy parts based on false, meaningless statistics and cool factor. Then the cars run like shit, as we see in the examples above.

Ask Pr0zac, he built the catalog cool factor motor and got his ass handed to him, only when he saw what the guys who kicked his ass were doing he did that, and got much better results. And guess what, none of those builds were done out of catalogs and based on cool factors or internet folk lure...just sayin.
Posted on: 2008/10/27 23:29

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:

the tpiguy who seems to be the tpi/lsXguy with a nasty ground pounding 383 c4!! who gives a shit. isn't this a transmission thread? not a i am going to insert my uncalled for opinion about other peoples motors when i can't build a motor to save my life thread.

Good point, I think I am going with the PERFORMABUILT. Best waranty, seems like a good company, been around for years, and from what I have been able to find out, that's about as strong as you can build a 700R in their invincible line.

For ~$900 as long as you own the car if the trans fails, they will replace it.

All in all, I'm leaning that way. Still researching.
Posted on: 2008/10/27 23:33

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

When properly chosen for the right reasons, and in consideration of the rest of the build, yes.

Problem is, many people thumb through the Summit catalog or hop on the interweb and buy parts based on false, meaningless statistics and cool factor. Then the cars run like shit, as we see in the examples above.

Ask Pr0zac, he built the catalog cool factor motor and got his ass handed to him, only when he saw what the guys who kicked his ass were doing he did that, and got much better results. And guess what, none of those builds were done out of catalogs and based on cool factors...just sayin.
:stupidwith:
Posted on: 2008/10/27 23:37

Guest_
Quote:

pr0zac wrote:

I don't think we have met yet! But you seem some what ignorant with your comment about the 330rwhp! My 383 was built back in the mid 90's (infact 1996 if my memory is correct). It made 330rwhp, and over 400rwtq. I don't think there where too many idiot's building those combo's back then on street driven emmissions set-ups. The car would run in the 12's all day long, and was very respectable.

Like I said we don't know each other. But after reading a few of your posts, I would bet your in your 20's, and know it all. Back when my C4 was going 12's on a regular basis, you were in public school. I was going to answer your questions about whom built my motors, but you will probably tell me they were not built properly.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 0:47

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

yes. i am 29 and still wet behind the ears. yet the cc305, cc306 and the hotcam were available which should make that mark with ease in a stock headed stock bottom end lt1, no?
Posted on: 2008/10/28 0:53

Guest_
Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

TPI-guy wrote:
Actually it's quite the opposite infact

Not with the right engine builder, now internet jockies it is actually quite routine. I just posted a couple examples where real builders can get it easily.
Quote:

It is done everyday on LSx stuff in a blink of the eye.

What's your point, what does this have to do with anything?

Quote:
Years ago, I build a 383 for my C4, and it dynoed 330rwhp. It was quite an eye opener.

So basically, you took internet advice and built a crappy combination and it didn't run worth a shit. GM crate engines with a crappy little cam and fast burn heads put down 400 CHP. I now see your problem. You get your advice from the interweb.Quote:

Remember the LS7 427 makes about 490-520 chp stock. One of the biggest reasons why it's so efficient and can pass emmisions with flying colours is because it has a very small cam with heads that flow 335cfm plus.

Where do you get this stuff? Are you sober when you write it? Are you from Canada? Just wondering...

Quote:

You went the other way, bigger cam, with much weaker flowing heads. Very much looking forward to seeing how the car performs. Last big stroker I saw was a 434 with a solid roller with 235cc heads, and stout compression. It made 515 rwhp which was a tad over 600chp.

Oh I see, you're one of those. Do us all a favor, don't give anyone advice here..

Let me get this straight, you SAW a 434 with heads...interesting. Nothing about the cam, tune, etc...it was all about head flow got it. That was a shitty combination if only put 600 HP. More evidence that internet advice is worth the paper is written on. Ask Pr0zac.

I am one of what?
Posted on: 2008/10/28 0:54

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

TPI-guy wrote:
Quote:

pr0zac wrote:

I don't think we have met yet! But you seem some what ignorant with your comment about the 330rwhp! My 383 was built back in the mid 90's (infact 1996 if my memory is correct). It made 330rwhp, and over 400rwtq. I don't think there where too many idiot's building those combo's back then on street driven emmissions set-ups. The car would run in the 12's all day long, and was very respectable.

Like I said we don't know each other. But after reading a few of your posts, I would bet your in your 20's, and know it all. Back when my C4 was going 12's on a regular basis, you were in public school. I was going to answer your questions about whom built my motors, but you will probably tell me they were not built properly.

Funny stuff.

Look when you make comments like "and they had even better flowing heads" expect to be called on credibility...... because statements like that beg for it.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 0:55

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

TPI-guy wrote

I am one of what?

One of those people who say "I know a guy who had a real fast car and had great flowing heads".....as if the fast was all because of the heads. I call them leghumpers. Ya know, someone who spouts off useless figures as if they have any bearing on performance.

Do me a favor, do not start a head thread here, I've been through it, and the following are all urban legends:

1. Exhaust flow plays a big role
2. Small runner with bigger flow is always better

and more.

So one of those refers to the catalog reading ill informed who perpetuate bad information across the internet.

I could be wrong, and I hope I stand corrected, but not as that post I cited as evidence.

Again, I plead for the forum, don't make me start a head thread chock full of facts and concepts that you will not be able to argue, and concede that these pre conceived notions you are perpetuating are wrong.

Just from your posts I will bet $100 that you own, or you recommend a particular brand of head....want me to guess which?
Posted on: 2008/10/28 1:00

Guest_
Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
yes. i am 29 and still wet behind the ears. yet the cc305, cc306 and the hotcam were available which should make that mark with ease in a stock headed stock bottom end lt1, no?

First off it wasnt an LT-1. It was a L-98 based motor, with a TPI intake on the top. Maybe we got off on the wrong foot, but I have been doing this for many years. The CC305, and CC306 are not suitable cams for the L-98. If memory is correct the CC306 is around a 232/244 which is too big imo for those long runners. I went with very similar lobes as the LPE 219 back in the mid 90's. It worked very well, and in fact, the car still runs mid 12's.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 1:03

Guest_
Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

TPI-guy wrote

I am one of what?

One of those people who say "I know a guy who had a real fast car and had great flowing heads".....as if the fast was all because of the heads. I call them leghumpers. Ya know, someone who spouts off useless figures as if they have any bearing on performance.

Do me a favor, do not start a head thread here, I've been through it, and the following are all urban legends:

and more.

So one of those refers to the catalog reading ill informed who perpetuate bad information across the internet.

I could be wrong, and I hope I stand corrected, but not as that post I cited as evidence.

Again, I plead for the forum, don't make me start a head thread chock full of facts and concepts that you will not be able to argue, and concede that these pre conceived notions you are perpetuating are wrong.

Just from your posts I will bet $100 that you own, or you recommend a particular brand of head....want me to guess which?

Sorry. I dont know what you are getting at. I own 3 Corvette's, and they are all modified. I have been racing for many, many years. I call it when I see it.

I don't have a clue who you are, but you are making quite the impression. I heard from a few guys that you made the same impression on another forum as well.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 1:07

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

TPI-guy wrote:
Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

TPI-guy wrote

I am one of what?

and more.

Sorry. I dont know what you are getting at. I own 3 Corvette's, and they are all modified. I have been racing for many, many years. I call it when I see it.

I don't have a clue who you are, but you are making quite the impression. I heard from a few guys that you made the same impression on another forum as well.
tehn why are you going to come in here and shake a beehive? if you have a problem with him, i have an answer, don't post a pissing contest in his thread.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 1:16

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

TPI-guy wrote:
Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

TPI-guy wrote

I am one of what?

and more.

Yes, I do make an impression. Thank you. I'm actually fairly simple to figure out, I am not an enigma. If someone makes a particular claim I expect it to be supported by science, not anecdotal evidence that "I know a guy"....just sayin'..

Perhaps I was wrong, and jumping the gun, but we'll see. Just understand the four words that drive me up the wall are "port size" and "flow numbers" as they have little bearing on choosing the right BRAND head for a particular application. When you made the comment "and they even had better flowing heads"....my leghumper radar went nuts. You can understand that can you, since the statement was utter bullshit in the context in which it was presented..with no real particulars on the engine other than flow numbers, no point was made...

So if I had a hair trigger, I apologize, time will tell..

I have a suspicion my hunch is right.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 1:17

Guest_
Sounds good!

I started to talk about tranny's, and the 200R4. I then looked at this signature, and saw around 600chp. I was then curious about that, so I asked him.

Talk to you later, and have a good night gent's......
Posted on: 2008/10/28 1:18

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:

I don't have a clue who you are, but you are making quite the impression. I heard from a few guys that you made the same impression on another forum as well.tehn why are you going to come in here and shake a beehive? if you have a problem with him, i have an answer, don't post a pissing contest in his thread.

And that's the point, only a KoolAid drinking leghumper would introduce flow numbers into a thread that had nothing to do with flow numbers.....and nothing to do with the point being made in context....just a hunch.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 1:20

Guest_
Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

TPI-guy wrote:
Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

TPI-guy wrote

I am one of what?

and more.

Yes, I do make an impression. Thank you. I'm actually fairly simple to figure out, I am not an enigma. If someone makes a particular claim I expect it to be supported by science, not anecdotal evidence that "I know a guy"....just sayin'..

Perhaps I was wrong, and jumping the gun, but we'll see. Just understand the four words that drive me up the wall are "port size" and "flow numbers" as they have little bearing on choosing the right head for a particular application. When you made the comment "and they even had better flowing heads"....my leghumper radar went nuts. You can understand that can you, since the statement was utter bullshit in the context in which it was presented..with no real particulars on the engine other than flow numbers, no point was made...

So if I had a hair trigger, I apologize, time will tell..

I have a suspicion my hunch is right.

Pick your poison. I didn't know that those words drove you up the wall.

I was just wondering how that combo would make those stout numbers. That's all. Sorry if I pissed you off Jsup.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 1:22

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

TPI-guy wrote:

I was just wondering how that combo would make those stout numbers. That's all. Sorry if I pissed you off Jsup.

You know what, don't take it personally, been a bit of a point of contention for me as of late....too much shallow thinking narrowing down what is a "better" head based on flow numbers relative to port size, which is complete bull. It's shallow and it's marketing, no more.

Sorry about my trigger keyboard...we'll see over time.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 1:27

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

giggidy giggidy
Posted on: 2008/10/28 2:03

anesthes Re: Transmission questions, PETE!!!! YOU AROUND?
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

So is the trans fixed yet?

Dyno the car?

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/10/28 12:51

Notorious Re: Transmission questions, PETE!!!! YOU AROUND?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Resized Image

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/10/28 13:10

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:
So is the trans fixed yet?

Dyno the car?

-- Joe

Hey Joe

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... php?topic_id=5777&forum=6

My finger is broken and dislocated, I can't do stuff for weeks, I expect the car to be laid up till spring, which is OK since I don't drive it in the winter anyway. I have first and second, I can take it about town and heat the oil up from time to time.

The other issue is before I drop $3K on the trans, I have to see wtf this finger is going to cost. I have insurance, but we all know how that goes...my friend broke an ankle, cost him $20K even with insurance. If I get off cheap, the trans is sooner rather than later. I may need an operation on my hand to put a pin in to keep things straight, don't know yet, so waiting to see what the result of that is. It's all about the $$$ and I ain't spending now.

Then even when the trans is in, I have to finish the tune...so I'm quite a bit out at this point.

And actually, means nothing to me as top HP was not the point of my build. so, whatever it is, it is. If I do it it's more for you guys than anything else.

Shit happens, not much I can do about it.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 14:08

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
Resized Image

Resized Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOEU87SBTU

My goal in life...(as those interweb trackers asked me on the Dart forum)
Posted on: 2008/10/28 14:13

MK 82 Re: Transmission questions, PETE!!!! YOU AROUND?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Hey Bogus, how many times are you allowed to say shit in one thread?
Posted on: 2008/10/28 21:36

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

DropTopCE wrote:
Hey Bogus, how many times are you allowed to say shit in one thread?

OK OK I get it, I'll fix it later..
Posted on: 2008/10/28 21:44

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Good thread, but it looks like it has run it's course.
Not locking it to piss anyone off, just looks like it's time.
Posted on: 2008/10/29 16:30

bogus Re: Transmission questions, PETE!!!! YOU AROUND?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Pete - good call.

I don't think there is a limit on the # of times you can say shit. Seems rather difficult to enforce.
Posted on: 2008/10/30 14:42

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

« 1 (2)
 Topic is Locked
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.