Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
253 user(s) are online (219 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98 Intake Bolt Sizes
This is data compiled by CentralCoaster. It lists all the bolt sizes for a stock L98 intake manifold and some of the attachments.

These are commo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Steve40th Bilstein Rebuild. Is there a difference between standard shock and Z51/ZO7 shocks?
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Or can Bilstein revalve tehm to whatever you want, as I want some revalved/rebuilt for autocross?
1993 Shocks, OEM FE1 standard base shocks, to be revalved for ZO7 springs etc for autocross.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 22:08

cuisinartvette Re: Bilstein Rebuild. Is there a difference between standard shock and Z51/ZO7 shocks?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

They have a number of different valving options, give them a ring.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 22:19

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Bilstein Rebuild. Is there a difference between standard shock and Z51/ZO7 shocks?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I priced it out and it wasn't worth it to me to get them redone, so I bought new ones, which are only available on the shelf with "Sport" valving, supposedly equivalent to the Z51 shock, at least for my year. Otherwise you can get about anything done through Bilstein here in Poway.

Actually they do sell a stiffer valving setup through Ecklers, but it would be cheaper to avoid the middle man.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 23:16

cuisinartvette Re: Bilstein Rebuild. Is there a difference between standard shock and Z51/ZO7 shocks?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

CC is right, how could I forget.
If you send them to Bilstein once they get them youll most likely get hit for a "mandatory re-rod" charge and say they wont re assemble them without it and the warranty is void.
Oh yeah, when you ask about the warranty when getting them shipped back Jack will say, " There is none really but call me up and Ill try to take care of it".
Youll have to paint them also, if the decals are important to you ask them to include them also.
I only went with them because I wanted their Moracca valving on mine.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 23:29

Steve40th Re: Bilstein Rebuild. Is there a difference between standard shock and Z51/ZO7 shocks?
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Interesting about cost/warranty and madatory re-rod. I also heard that TPIS used to sell revalved Bilsteins, and they were painted Black and sold as "TPIS" shocks.
I will give them a ring.
I dont know why a mandatory re-rod is necessary. Thats seems kinda overkill, unless you need them.
How hard is it to revalve tehm yourself?
Posted on: 2008/10/29 0:02

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

they will tell you they wont go back together without them, think it ads 44 per shock without digging up the recepit.
No idea on how to DIY (tear into shocks)
They do work well though.
Posted on: 2008/10/29 0:27

CentralCoaster Re: Bilstein Rebuild. Is there a difference between standard shock and Z51/ZO7 shocks?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

New ones were $280 for a set of 4.

Bilstein is probably no different than the dentist, trying to upsell you on shit you don't need.
Posted on: 2008/10/29 0:38

BillH Re: Bilstein Rebuild. Is there a difference between standard shock and Z51/ZO7 shocks?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
How hard is it to revalve tehm yourself?

Too easy to screw up, but it can be done. You should have a good burette to get the proper ccs of oil, some shocks take special tools etc. If you haven't done it before.......

Plus, you won't know if you did it correctly, they would probably feel stiffer than the ones you took off but correct?

The Bilstein guys know what they're doing.

$280 a set is cheap for a set of performance shocks.
Posted on: 2008/10/29 14:22

SpectatorRacing Re: Bilstein Rebuild. Is there a difference between standard shock and Z51/ZO7 shocks?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I've had Bilstein revalve my shocks at least 6 times in the last several years and have had none of the problems mentioned above. We've done minute adjustments on jounce and rebound settings here and there at no extra charge for the work or the time spent discussing my needs.

It's $55 a shock and I've only once (out of 30 shocks) had a $10 charge for a new rod, I could see the scarring on it myself before I sent it in. They also do not charge me for the extra grooving required for coil-overs. Although I think the snap rings that hold the coil sleeve are $5 the first time you buy them. You want to talk to Ramon in Poway. He's not as experienced as Jack French was, but not bad.

I've never asked about a warranty as it's never honored on a race car, anyway, but I personally wouldn't worry about it. They're reusing the same shock body, so if you care about how it looks you may be disappointed, but in that case I'd also suggest a different hobby.

Most of the places who sell custom valvings (DRM, Eckler's, etc) have to get the sent back to Bilstein, so why not cut out the middle man?

I believe the FX3 is different, but I couldn't tell you if it costs more as I don't have them.

Gary at Hardbar also does custom valving. He's a Guru sponsor and extremely knowledgable, but you're gong to pay more as he doesn't revalve Bilstiens. You'll need to buy Penskes or QA1's.
Posted on: 2008/10/30 15:46

Steve40th Re: Bilstein Rebuild. Is there a difference between standard shock and Z51/ZO7 shocks?
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Spectator, I have QA1's now. Maybe I will call Gary. I have some Old Bilsteins too, and will call Bilstein to get an idea.
Thanks everyone.
Posted on: 2008/10/30 16:30

SpectatorRacing Re: Bilstein Rebuild. Is there a difference between standard shock and Z51/ZO7 shocks?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
Spectator, I have QA1's now. Maybe I will call Gary. I have some Old Bilsteins too, and will call Bilstein to get an idea.
Thanks everyone.

Give Gary a shout, if you aren't in a hurry to get them back on the car he'll take you through the steps to make a complete custom shock for your car and driving needs, right down to the length of the rod and total necessary shock travel.

Whichever way you go I recommend getting shock dyno graphs for each one. This does cost extra, but if you're serious about the performance you'll want to have this information on hand as you make adjustments over time.
Posted on: 2008/10/30 17:25

BillH Re: Bilstein Rebuild. Is there a difference between standard shock and Z51/ZO7 shocks?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

The dyno sheets on QA1's are aaaaaaaaaaa interesting.
Talk to Gary.
Posted on: 2008/10/31 14:04

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

It's $55 a shock

I'd wizz my pants if I could get my Konis done for that.
Posted on: 2008/10/31 14:07

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

I'd wizz my pants if I could get my Konis done for that.

Bill, you might want to look into some adult diapers. I understnad incontinence can be embarrassing, but you're only hurting yourself if you don't address the problem now

Are the Koni's adjustable, or just not supported in the rebuild market? Keep in mind my Bilsteins are so cheap because they're old fashioned, non-adjustable jobbies.

Gary has been trying to get me into some adjustable shocks for awhile now. I still hold the opinion that the chances are much higher that I'll have them on one of the 9 wrong settings instead of the 1 right one.

My goal is to take next season very seriously, though. Perhaps it's time.
Posted on: 2008/10/31 14:41

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

My Konis are double adj. Kinda like Penskes in rebuild costs. keep in mind that typical dyno costs are $25/shock.

Gary's right on the adjustables. They will make a difference and you will have to learn how to tune them. But they're not as bad as the 2 seasons to fully sort a new car!

The first setup is fairly simple, adjusting the bump and rebound until you start skiding on the bumps and backing off a click. We try and do a good shock scan on early season test days. 2 laps, up 2 clicks on either bump or rebound, 2 laps, another adj. etc.

If you're rich enough to have 4 way's on your car, you can get into the "secrets" of what a fully adjustable shock can do. With these, you can do more than work on handling spring damping and tire complinance, you can actually work on weight transfer.
Posted on: 2008/10/31 23:32

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.