Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Z15
A Collector Edition, RPO Z15.

1996 only.

Silver with black, red or grey interior.

LT1/A4 or LT4/ZF6....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

wesmigletz Another trip to the track
Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

Drove the 62 back to Famoso (another 250 miles round trip) this past weekend for the ANRA (American Nostalgia Racing Association) finals. Before heading to the track on Friday, I replaced the low-rise Weiand 8120 dual plane intake with a ported #7530 Team G intake. The Team G is opened to a 1206 gasket, but my heads are not, so it was less than ideal.

Resized Image

The Team G intake fit under hood with a GM drop base air cleaner. I do not think it would clear with an aftermarket drop base, because they offer less drop than the GM piece.

Driveability isn't bad with the single plane, but I did notice the need for more throttle going up the Tejon Pass. I would really like to try the #8120 intake with some port work and a notched divider. The Team G picked-up a few hundredths in the quarter, and gained a few hundredths MPH over the low-rise dual plane.

All passes were made with 38* timing and 73 primary and 82 secondary jets. My son did his first solo jet change upon our arrival to the track on Saturday.

Resized Image
Resized Image

My best pass was 12.77 @ 107.39, with a 1.78 60’ and 8.145 @ 83.45 in the 1/8th mile.

My best MPH was 108.00 @ 12.795, with a 1.829 60’, and 8.185 @ 83.75 in the 1/8th mile.

The car ran consistent, and I did well during eliminations, until I was told I had to dial back to 13.50 because of the soft top. I wasn’t thrilled about it to say the least. Just for spite, I went 13.55 on a 13.50 dial in on my next pass, sending a rather clean El Camino home. Pure luck on my timing to lift. I was eliminated the next round. I waited too long to lift and ran 12.97 @ 94 MPH. It’s too bad because the other guy broke-out too. Coulda woulda shoulda, I think I could have made it to the finals if I didn’t have to change my dial-in…

Some other pics are posted here:
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/12432617
Posted on: 2008/10/29 5:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

cuisinartvette Re: Another trip to the track
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Did you make any jetting changes for the larger intake?
Nice to see youre down in the 12s.
Posted on: 2008/10/29 5:52

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

wesmigletz Re: Another trip to the track
Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

I drove to the track with 69s in the primaries. I had Reb swap in the #73 jets when we got to the track. I ran 74s in the primaries with the low-rise dual plane.

I did not make additional changes because I wanted to work on the cars consistency for qualifications and eliminations. I was also thinking the the single plane should need less jet than the dual plane, because the plenum saw all for barrels, whereas the dual plane limits each port to only two barrels.

I need to get my LM-1 on the car and start using it...
Posted on: 2008/10/29 6:15

Matatk Re: Another trip to the track
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Well it sounds like those are good results considering you thought you'd lose time and mph. Is it due to the port work? Will you be porting or swapping the heads? I thought I read something about AFRs?

Keep us posted.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/10/29 11:59

sccavette Re: Another trip to the track
Guru Newb
Kokomo Indiana
39 Posts

to you for using the C1 and not letting it sit in the garage and just look pretty.

I would love to see a C1 race at out local strip.
Posted on: 2008/10/29 12:51

Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Well it sounds like those are good results considering you thought you'd lose time and mph. Is it due to the port work? Will you be porting or swapping the heads? I thought I read something about AFRs? Keep us posted. Matthew

Matatk, I did expect to lose ET and possibly even MPH. The opposite happened. I suspect it was due to the low-rise dual plane simply having too small of a plenum, not so much the porting. If I had the $$$, I'd like to extrude hone the intake and notch the plenum divider similar to an RPM. That would probably pick me up .1 - .15 seconds in the 1/4. I also think if I spent some time on a chassis dyno with my LM-1 and timing light, I could find another 10-20 HP, and if I leaned my IFRs, I might pick-up some economy too.

Intake port on head vs intake mismatch (1206 gasket)
Resized Image

I'm going to be pulling the engine this weekend. I'll be swapping to a HR cam with similar specs and getting some dyno numbers. Hopefully it picks-up HP and torque without costing me idle vacuum. From there, I will also be doing an A-B head swap on the dyno. The engine will be going back in the car and back to the track. At that point, I will no longer have just an opininon, I will have dyno numbers from the same dyno same day, and time slips.

From there, who knows, I may swap my stock heads back on (if the HR cam picked up HP and torque). I'd like to have my stock, cast iron intake fully ported, and I'd clean-up a set of 2.5" rams horn manifolds. I'd like to see if I could dip back into the 12s with the stock engine (block, heads, intake, carb, and ex manifolds). Considering our car is a low-horse, automatic "secretary's" car, I think it would be fun to do.
Posted on: 2008/10/29 15:06

Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

Quote:

sccavette wrote:
to you for using the C1 and not letting it sit in the garage and just look pretty.

I would love to see a C1 race at out local strip.

Well, I'm just a driver, not an enthusiast. I have no idea what owning a classic Corvette is all about, nor do I have an appreciation of their history... according to a couple real Corvette enthusiasts I've run into.

Being just a driver, I drive the car often. In fact, we put over 500 miles on it over the past two weekends going to and from the races.

Glad to see you're out enjoying yours too.

Wes
Posted on: 2008/10/29 15:10

cuisinartvette Re: Another trip to the track
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Sounds like you have no appreciation for something so "special" being as you treat lt like a rental Mustang.
Try and learn from others, park it in the garage and fear driving it; dont forget to buy every Zaino product known to man, too!
When you sell your investment you can then brag about "I used to have one of those" as you pop another button on your Hawaiian shirt and know deep down you had no real fun with the car but pretend to anyway.
Posted on: 2008/10/29 15:44

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.