Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
234 user(s) are online (193 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Rear Hatch Release
There are releases on the trailing edges of each door and one under the center console.

The center console button will only work if the car is in...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

gkmccready Droop travel vs Bump travel?
Guru Newb
Redwood City, CA
28 Posts

There seems to be a significant trade-off necessary with shocks in general; everybody wants maximum travel. But more rebound travel means less compression travel, and vice versa. They're both important. Too little compression travel and you end up with an infinite spring rate. Too little rebound travel and, well, what happens? Do you lift the wheel off the ground, or do you force the chassis to follow the wheel?

I had talked with a local shock builder at one point and he talked about running 0 droop and no rebound damping at all. I'm not sure I entirely comprehend how that would work. Seems like it may be okay for a race car, but for a dual-purpose or street car I can't wrap my head around it. I can kind of envision it helping weight transfer, but at the same time what exactly happens when you enter a dip?

No rebound damping. Doesn't that leave the spring uncontrolled to recoil after a compression? Very confusing...
Posted on: 2008/11/9 22:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

ghoffman Re: Droop travel vs Bump travel?
Senior Guru
258 Posts

Wow Glen, can we combine all of these threads? Your bump travel is limited to the point where the tires hit the fender and the droop is limited (maximum) by the upper a-arm hitting the spring. If your shocks are topped out at static ride height, then you cannot keep the tires in contact with the road when going off of a drop off or on an off camber turn. Here are a couple of pics at NHMS where a Noble has (pick one or more) a) too much sway bar stiffness, b) not enough droop travel, c) too much rebound damping, d) not enough bump damping, e) all of the above. Compare to my C6Z with almost 6 inches of total travel.

[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/gshoffman/20080527_NHIS_INS_5949.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/gshoffman/20080527_SCDA_NHIS_INS_5914_HiRes.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/11/9 22:50

gkmccready Re: Droop travel vs Bump travel?
Guru Newb
Redwood City, CA
28 Posts

Great pictures!

It would appear you're not talking about crazy handling characteristics there, but rather the fact that your car appears to have four nice solid contact patches and the Noble is showing daylight under both tires on the unloaded side?

Good point about the A-arm and the spring; I had completely skipped that in my head thinking only of the chassis and wheel and not of how it actually all fit together!

What would the "not enough bump damping" option be? Now we're joining another thread and I see why you're looking to combine them! So bump on the loaded side -combined- with rebound on the unloaded side is the roll control, not one or the other?
Posted on: 2008/11/9 23:51

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.